• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't get the dislike of the fossils. This is like the first time ever when GameFreak does something cool with the mechanic.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Type: Null being in is the wildest shit. If there was one Pokemon you could justify cutting from a lore perspective it was him and Silvally.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd like to think that cutting down to 400 Pokemon is a chance for Gamefreak to really look at stats, movepools and abilities and really change things up to balance the game more.

I absolutely do not expect this to happen but it'd be nice to see.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah maybe there's been some nice buffs to old Pokemon who made it in.

It seems like the leakers rushed through with new Pokemon so probably wouldn't notice.

Jan 9, 2018
the only 'results' we will see is the pokemon brand selling like gangbusters on switch because "first pokemon on switch" or some such marketing.
There it is, the worst argument. "Everyone else is wrong for actually purchasing something they want to!" People buy Pokémon because they like Pokémon. If you don't want the new games that's fine, but don't try to make other people feel bad for not doing what you want them to.

What I don't get is why so many people that are adamant about not buying these games are even in this thread, especially for more than a few pages. What do you actually get out of it? If you don't want it, then you don't want it. You don't have to defend yourself, you can just go... do something else.

And maybe this is the wrong time to shill for Digimon, but if you want a monster collecting game with heart and you don't want SwSh, maybe try out Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth CE for the Switch? That's what I'm playing currently anyway.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Why would you not count Legendaries, Mythicals, or Ultra Beasts.

They don't have as much utility as regular Pokémon. They don't evolve, they can't be bred, they can only be caught once, and they usually cannot be acquired until the game is complete. This means it's difficult to actually ever have a place to use them.

Since they don't evolve, their is less motivation to train and level them.

Since they can't be bred, you can't make more of them to trade with your friends. You also can't breed their moves on to other Pokémon and their own movesets cannot be supplemented by egg moves.

Since they can only be caught under unique circumstances, and usually after the base game is complete, usually catching them is considered the goal in and of itself. There is no place to use them and nothing to do with them. They often cannot be part of your actual story party. And since there is only one, you are less likely to trade it to another player.

Legendary Pokémon are a novelty and this has been the case since Gen I. They are Pokémon that can only do a fraction of what regular Pokémon can do mechanically. They're powerful Pokémon with fewer features and less opportunity to use them.

So when they take up so much of the Dex, like in Sun & Moon, the Dex feels really small and not fun or versatile.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cyber Sleuth has honestly zero appeal for me outside of seeing old favorites.

Everything else about that game is weak. I don't like exploring Web 2.0 internet and real Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think that cutting down to 400 Pokemon is a chance for Gamefreak to really look at stats, movepools and abilities and really change things up to balance the game more.

I absolutely do not expect this to happen but it'd be nice to see.
After seeing the number of new Pokemon and the post-game content do you really think GF is gonna use the cut dex to expand on anything?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
What I don't get is why so many people that are adamant about not buying these games are even in this thread, especially for more than a few pages. What do you actually get out of it? If you don't want it, then you don't want it. You don't have to defend yourself, you can just go... do something else.
This thread was overwhelmingly positive until the dex number came out.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I wasn't going to get the games, but the new designs sold me anyway. Probably my favorite since gen 2.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
There it is, the worst argument. "Everyone else is wrong for actually purchasing something they want to!" People buy Pokémon because they like Pokémon. If you don't want the new games that's fine, but don't try to make other people feel bad for not doing what you want them to.

And maybe this is the wrong time to shill for Digimon, but if you want a monster collecting game with heart and you don't want SwSh, maybe try out Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth CE for the Switch? That's what I'm playing currently anyway.
I can't speak for everyone but Pokémon is (was) my favorite series and I've been looking forward to these games since 2017. I've decided to not buy these games because I can't support this direction for the series but it still hurts to have to take this decision

Deleted member 15457

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the Battle Facilities don't have depth. Like. I've never seen anything that could be described as a "Battle Pyramid/Tube/Whatever" meta. They're just throwing your team at a CPU with elements of a roguelike or a gimmick bolted on.

1. That's just wrong. These "gimmicks" drastically change how you approach the battles and build your team. The pyramid and castle, for example, don't heal you after every fight which make you consider long term survival more then you normally would, the dome has a team preview but you can only take two, meaning you need pokemon that are both good independently and have less crippling weaknesses, the factory makes you use the AI pokemon, which requires you to have in depth knowledge of pokemon as a game. This makes the factory a great vehicle for showing off new pokemon and game mechanics.

About the only facility where what you said holds true is the battle roulette, which is, in fact, just normal fights with a (thankfully timeable) spinner at the start.

2. Smogon has leaderboard threads for the different facilities so there absolutely is a metagame around them.

The World Tournament was the most straightforward of all of them with set characters. But aside from that they're all just a means to earn battle points, with rewards for completion being pretty paltry.

You could earn silver and gold symbols for getting a high enough streak, or upgrade your trainer card. If you want to say that doesn't do anything then I don't know what you want if that + BP aren't enough.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
ok let me get this straight, no expanded national dex, there's no elite 4, just 8 gyms like normal, and postgame is just the battle tower and some 2 hour expanded story element?

this is a disaster

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, don't know if its true but so many good pokemon gone according to that list thats going around..

Cubone, Marowak, the fossils and even Lycanroc. Wasn't lycanroc super popular last gen?

My only consolation is that Luvdisc has been banished to the Phantom Zone.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If Game Freak wants to go so light on post game content I wish they would make the main game way bigger. Pokemon games are a little on the short side for JRPGs. Give me a 60+ hour main story in addition to what they do with post games currently. Maybe scatter crazy high level trainers around the map after the main game like Let's Go, but without the silly restriction on using a specific Pokemon.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I can't speak for everyone but Pokémon is (was) my favorite series and I've been looking forward to these games since 2017. I've decided to not buy these games because I can't support this direction for the series but it still hurts to have to take this decision
Another option is to pressure Nintendo to develop a battle simulator like stadium/PBR that allow us to use all of the Pokemon in the National Dex.

Oct 25, 2017
this. right here. i was super hype for SwSh; until gamefreak started putting their foot in their mouth. and all these cuts and changes that on the outside make no logical sense.

but having a negative opinion makes me a hater.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ok let me get this straight, no expanded national dex, there's no elite 4, just 8 gyms like normal, and postgame is just the battle tower and some 2 hour expanded story element?

this is a disaster
Sounds like you had your mind set already. I don't see how you can make any calls about how the game pulls through the story with current info, and we don't know the details of the battle tower or the full extent of postgame.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Despite what Game Freak has said, I'm skeptical that cutting Pokémon was planned for Sword and Shield.

Don't get me wrong – the cut was always going to be inevitable, but it happening this Gen specifically seems far more to do with them struggling with the Switch's hardware and trying to reach the Q4 2019 release date than them actively planning dexit well in advance so they could siphon development time to other game design elements.

I'm giving GF the benefit of the doubt for what was fairly obviously a turbulent development period. But if we get Sword/Shield 2 a year from now they deserve every criticism they get.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
If Game Freak wants to go so light on post game content I wish they would make the main game way bigger. Pokemon games are a little on the short side for JRPGs. Give me a 60+ hour main story in addition to what they do with post games currently. Maybe scatter crazy high level trainers around the map after the main game like Let's Go, but without the silly restriction on using a specific Pokemon.

tbf it seems like over time the general length of the campaign as gone from 9-10sh hours to around 30ish (S/M was kinda long imo). I think Sw/Sh will match that, since it seems like the leaker was rushing through

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
1. That's just wrong. These "gimmicks" drastically change how you approach the battles and build your team. The pyramid and castle, for example, don't heal you after every fight which make you consider long term survival more then you normally would, the dome has a team preview but you can only take two, meaning you need pokemon that are both good independently and have less crippling weaknesses, the factory makes you use the AI pokemon, which requires you to have in depth knowledge of pokemon as a game. This makes the factory a great vehicle for showing off new pokemon and game mechanics.

About the only facility where what you said holds true is the battle roulette, which is, in fact, just normal fights with a (thankfully timeable) spinner at the start.

2. Smogon has leaderboard threads for the different facilities so there absolutely is a metagame around them.

You could earn silver and gold symbols for getting a high enough streak, or upgrade your trainer card. If you want to say that doesn't do anything then I don't know what you want if that + BP aren't enough.

I've legitimately never looked at them that way before, and I was completely unaware that they actually had a tier list. That's on me, but thank you for educating me all the same. No one has ever really gone to the trouble of doing that for me. That being said, I still feel like they relied too much on factors the player couldn't realistically anticipate.

that being said, I'd rather have a reward that presents a tangible benefit. Stuff like how the Colosseum gave you Ho-Oh or a Shiny Pokemon like you got at the end of Black Tower/White Tree Hollow, or an item that provided a reliable in game benefit or quality of life feature would be preferable to me.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've legitimately never looked at them that way before, and I was completely unaware that they actually had a tier list. That's on me, but thank you for educating me all the same. No one has ever really gone to the trouble of doing that for me. That being said, I still feel like they relied too much on factors the player couldn't realistically anticipate.

that being said, I'd rather have a reward that presents a tangible benefit. Stuff like how the Colosseum gave you Ho-Oh or a Shiny Pokemon like you got at the end of Black Tower/White Tree Hollow, or an item that provided a reliable in game benefit or quality of life feature would be preferable to me.
I stand by the idea that if you need some big reward at the end to make your gameplay worth doing, then the gameplay wasn't fun enough in the first place

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
CAN WE PLEASE STOP SPREADING FUCKING MISINFORMATION ABOUT THE POST GAME. I do not want to make the same post again about the current information we have on it but seeing multiple posts at a time lambasting how bad the postgame is when we know only some minimal info about it is starting to legit piss me off. I will post this one last time so people can finally hopefully stop spreading misinformation then they can go back to complaining about the national DeX or whatever else they want

I don't know how many times this needs to be stated. The leaker doing the post game episode had not finished it yet, and said that the post game episode was at least 2 hours since he was 2 hours into it, so it is definitely longer than stuff like the Delta episode, there are rematches post game confirmed, the other leaker that started the 4chan thread is not far into post game so there is more stuff to be unearthed, just wait one day for him to come back before posting this type of stuff. I get really tired of misinformation spreading, there are things to hate about the game, stick to the facts before condemning a largely unknown post game and wait for the leaker to return at his usual time somewhere in 6-10 hours

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I stand by the idea that if you need some big reward at the end to make your gameplay worth doing, then the gameplay wasn't fun enough in the first place

In general, I don't care for bragging rights rewards in games that are about collecting and earning things and making your team better and customizing them. That's what I play competitive for, not the primary campaign.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
That is the appeal to me too. However, a big part of why I invest so much time in collecting the Pokémon I've collected is under the assumption it was a permanent collection I could always grow. Over just the course of Gen VI and VII, I've bred and trained over 200 Pokémon which I use in post-game facilities and in multiplayer. That's time that's just lost now.

Imagine my frustration that I bred multiple Alolan Forms, trained them, and raised them to level 100 under the assumption they would be harder to collect in the future. Little did I know that all those Marowak and Muk I bred with different movesets and EV spreads would become useless to me the ensuing generation. :/

I cleared the Battle Tree with Tapu Lele, Hydreigon, and Mega Lucario, which formed a perfect coverage core. My whole team revolved around Tapu Lele, but I was able to experiment and utilize Pokémon I invested a ton of time in to training previously. This was possible because my collection carried forward. I was able to enjoy and experience new content in a fulfilling way specifically because my existing Pokémon were available to me.

People play Pokémon to different extents but the people who've invested the most also lose the most.
Yeah I understand that. Hopefully they expand the dex in patches or in future releases. For now, I'm going to just enjoy the galar region, though. Lots of new stuff to play with, and I'm actually interested in battling online for the first time in a while knowing that a lot of stuff has been cut for now.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
CAN WE PLEASE STOP SPREADING FUCKING MISINFORMATION ABOUT THE POST GAME. I do not want to make the same post again about the current information we have on it but seeing multiple posts at a time lambasting how bad the postgame is when we know only some minimal info about it is starting to legit piss me off. I will post this one last time so people can finally hopefully stop spreading misinformation then they can go back to complaining about the national DeX or whatever else they want

I don't know how many times this needs to be stated. The leaker doing the post game episode had not finished it yet, and said that the post game episode was at least 2 hours since he was 2 hours into it, so it is definitely longer than stuff like the Delta episode, there are rematches post game confirmed, the other leaker that started the 4chan thread is not far into post game so there is more stuff to be unearthed, just wait one day for him to come back before posting this type of stuff. I get really tired of misinformation spreading, there are things to hate about the game, stick to the facts before condemning a largely unknown post game and wait for the leaker to return at his usual time somewhere in 6-10 hours
Thank you! It's been especially annoying in the other thread where people haven't even been following the leaks are going on about a lacking postgame when we literally know the bare minimum

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is why I'm saying "it's like x/y" instead of "there's no post game"

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Lazy dev rhetoric
When will it be acceptable to use lazy dev rhetoric in this context

What if I cite sources

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I've put away the notion I had that this was the 'first mainline Pokemon' to 'The Switch is just a handheld to Game Freak and this is just another mediocre Pokemon experience but now with only 400 creatures because reasons'.

It makes me less angry and just apathetic tbh.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
If Game Freak wants to go so light on post game content I wish they would make the main game way bigger. Pokemon games are a little on the short side for JRPGs. Give me a 60+ hour main story in addition to what they do with post games currently.

Even if it ends up that Sword/Shield has decent post-game content, I feel this is the best direction to go regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.