• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
What is the Ceiling at this point ? we know there won't be a new game this year and the DLC will boost the game's sales, it'll outsell Gold and Silver at this point

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But you were saying its sales are proof that they should have done it sooner when we can't say that for sure as Switch has portable aspects and is treated as a portable by many

Well, I'm basing myself in the fact previous portable-only titles didn't had such sales rate. Sure Switch has a portable option, but if this is the only reason and console element is meaningless, care to explain why this didn't happened before?

because the switch is booming. and is also a handheld thats very appealing globally
i really just cant imagine console pokemon games being a worthwhile risk before the switch

DS was booming, too, perhaps even stronger than Switch, but it's Pokémon games never had such fast performance. Care to explain this?

What about the Wii? You think it "didn't worth the risk"? Well, that's some controversial opinion, for sure.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let them eat crow

image0.gif
lol @ that jiff

CHUNKYBOWSER

Nov 13, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Breath of the Wild gets used a lot but you can see the very clear sacrifices made to reach its scope. Lack of enemy variety, no caves or small dungeons are a frequent complaint about the game.

Zelda usually has some good enemy variety and good dungeons, but they were cut to reach the scope of its vast open world.
You're right, but my reference to Zelda was in reference to the animations. The only sacrifice required for good animation is development time.

For the dungeons in Pokemon, there's really no excuse for not including them. They've always been separate areas and there would be no problem with having them as separate areas in Pokemon Sword & Shield. The dungeons were intentionally omitted from the game, and not for technical reasons. And still, the scope of Pokemon Sword & Shield is much smaller than Zelda.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck lmao I expected a great opening from it but not that insanely massive.
I thought that 20m could be the ceiling before the end of the year but now it's the FLOOR and beating G/S isn't impossible.

also im enjoying the salt in this thread. games were great 🤙

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Good job on the boycott, guys!

Absolutely ridiculous. The most cynical, soulless games in the series selling the most since Gold and Silver.
Funny thing. I've played the entire series and I enjoyed this one more than many others. I guess you can please millions of people even when angering cynics.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well, I'm basing myself in the fact previous portable-only titles didn't had such sales rate. Sure Switch has a portable option, but if this is the only reason and console element is meaningless, care to explain why this didn't happened before?
I mean the last generation starter did 14.69 million, so it's not like this is miles ahead

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Impressive! 16 million people played the worst single player campaign in the whole series.

(Online battling is the best it's ever been, though...)

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Impressive! 16 million people played the worst single player campaign in the whole series.

You're not wrong tho. The story was very lame. But I still had lots of fun with it. I mean I played already 175 hrs and actually don't know how I managed to do that. The raids are just addictive as hell and there are many very cool QoL improvements. I'm also very looking foreward to the DLCs

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018

DS was booming, too, perhaps even stronger than Switch, but it's Pokémon games never had such fast performance. Care to explain this?

What about the Wii? You think it "didn't worth the risk"? Well, that's some controversial opinion, for sure.
in my previous post i made the exception of the wii.
would a pokemon game have sold anywhere close to the handheld games if on Gamecube or wii u? not even close. even then, I think even the wii would be a stretch. perhaps pokemon is just on a rise thanks to other factors. I dont see how this means theres a correlation between the desire for console pokemon and sales

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

That's kind of my takeaway, both GameFreak and the fandom are transitioning into making Pokemon an MMO-lite. Probably a good way to keep engagement going longterm.

Maybe someday we can get a campaign as meaty as Platinum or Black/White 2 again.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the last generation starter did 14.69 million, so it's not like this is miles ahead

Eh... not really. By April 2014, X/Y sold 12M, it came out in October 2013. It wasn't anywhere close to what Sw/Sh did in 1.6 month.

in my previous post i made the exception of the wii.
would a pokemon game have sold anywhere close to the handheld games if on Gamecube or wii u? not even close. even then, I think even the wii would be a stretch. perhaps pokemon is just on a rise thanks to other factors. I dont see how this means theres a correlation between the desire for console pokemon and sales

Makes sure if a mainline Pokémon were announced for either GCN and Wii U it would attract some serious attention from the whole gaming community. I can't say it would outsell the portable games at the time, I'm no fortune teller, but claiming it would pass unnoticed doesn't make any sense. Neither this neutralize the (very big) demand for a console mainline title. This was discussed for ages everywhere.

Really, I don't get why you guys try to exclude the possibility that a console option for Sw/Sh boosted it's sales and shouldn't be something that Game Freak would have tried before.

Last edited:

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
This isn't Gold/Silver :P

I stand by my comment, SwSh has the worst single player campaign of the whole series. Virtually no story, no sidequests, nothing to do in each town but going to the Gym, absolutely garbage pacing, bad characters (especially coming from the great SuMo).

You're not wrong tho. The story was very lame. But I still had lots of fun with it. I mean I played already 175 hrs and actually don't know how I managed to do that. The raids are just addictive as hell and there are many very cool QoL improvements. I'm also very looking foreward to the DLCs

I'm looking forward to it too!

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Sword and Shield is interesting in that it's a fun game, but every pre-release criticism of it was completely valid.

EVERYBODY WINS

Second worse gen for me. I feel like this game solidified that we are never getting real dungeons again. And twenty years later breeding is still boring.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And twenty years later breeding is still boring.
Breeding's basically been unchanged for those 20 years. The only thing that's improved since then are minor QoL improvements.

Unfortunately, it feels like most of GF's attempts to fix the tedium of preparing for competitive battling are just time reduction instead of changing the mechanics to be more interesting.

Last edited:

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Pokémon Sword and Shield is interesting in that it's a fun game, but every pre-release criticism of it was completely valid.

EVERYBODY WINS

Second worse gen for me. I feel like this game solidified that we are never getting real dungeons again. And twenty years later breeding is still boring.

preach

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this answers anybody's questions about the hows and whys regarding this game. They have no reason to revolutionize the formula until these are the sale numbers. It's the same as Call Of Duty or FIFA: the loud minority of people doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, expect big innovations only when sales are starting to plummet.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A split between the regions would be nice. Thought it was cool that it was 2/2/2 millions in its OW between EU/US/JP so I wonder how that 16 million is split now.

Huuuuge numbers regardless. Even in a 'weak' country for the Switch like the UK it was still what Nintendo's second or third highest opening week ever and on par with the highest selling PS4 exclusive (Spider-Man) too? They're doing great everywhere seemingly. Reversed the series' decline in Japan too. Looking forward to the DLC now.

And it was only a week before the games came out that I had the pleasure of conversing with at least one person here who was hoping that they would sell less than the LG games. That was certainly a silly thing to say in hindsight.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
To people being snarky, please allow me to clarify: nobody ever thought the backlash would make a difference. That's kind of why it was such an upsetting situation. Because we knew that, no matter what choice GameFreak made, it would be reinforced by massive sales and they would move forward with that decision. We weren't sad that we wouldn't have all Pokemon in SWSH, we were sad because we wouldn't have all Pokemon ever again because it would sell well regardless.

Even aside from the controversy, this was a bottom tier Pokemon for me (I deliberately bought it used). It could have been absolute garbage-- there was no way that the first console Pokemon RPG would flop. People have been wanting this for over two decades, myself included. It just didn't happen in the way I wanted.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
What is the Ceiling at this point ? we know there won't be a new game this year and the DLC will boost the game's sales, it'll outsell Gold and Silver at this point
30 millions imo. It's gonna keep selling strong decent throughout 2020 with strong boosts on June and Fall (dlc releases). By end of 2020 it will be above 25 millions probably.

To people being snarky, please allow me to clarify: nobody ever thought the backlash would make a difference. That's kind of why it was such an upsetting situation. Because we knew that, no matter what choice GameFreak made, it would be reinforced by massive sales and they would move forward with that decision. We weren't sad that we wouldn't have all Pokemon in SWSH, we were sad because we wouldn't have all Pokemon ever again because it would sell well regardless.
I agree but on the other hand how do we know the backlash effect? I mean we only know how much it sold know, we don't know how much it would have sold without the backlash. For example I bought Let's Go Eevee day one but decided to skip this one. I can't be the only one and we all know of a few people who actually didn't buy the game because of the dexit. (for me it wasn't the dexit, there were other factor too and lack of communication from GF)

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon gonna pokemon, Switch boost, Switch Lite co-current release, vouchers. This game pretty much had everything going in it's favour aside from Dexit which was never going to have a big enough effect anyway (At least the dexit campaign made them change their mind on the DLC at least, assuming we take PR by it's exact word.)

I love how people in this thread are saying First Console Game as well. If I hear anyone say they should stop creating new pokemon and just do Kanto over and over and over. I'm gonna point out how Sw/Sh outsold Let's Go life time sales in just 2 months, and can even double it's sales lifetime sales as well. I don't wanna even hear the Let's Go titles ushered ever again.

Now to see how much it does in the long run because this one has the edge it's not immediately going to have it's legs cut off like what happened with Sun and Moon with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

(And I personally hope the DLC can improve the quality of the game and give it at least some cool areas to explore or cool story beats. It's going to slowly fix the pokemon problem in the long run hopefully.)

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Breeding's basically been unchanged for those 20 years. The only thing that's improved since then are minor QoL improvements.

Unfortunately, it feels like most of GF's attempts to fix the tedium of preparing for competitive battling are just time reduction instead of changing the mechanics to be more interesting.
Game Freak puts band aids on problems instead of overhauling or fixing them. Remember in Sun/Moon where they purposefully put a little enclave that you could spin around in next to the breeding center? Instead of fixing the main problems of breeding (heavily RNG based, limited gameplay interaction when it comes to hatching, time-wasting), they just let you spin in a box so you wouldn't have to go back and forth down one route.

"EVERYONE WILL THINK THIS IS FUN!" - Someone who hates me

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I stand by my comment, SwSh has the worst single player campaign of the whole series. Virtually no story, no sidequests, nothing to do in each town but going to the Gym, absolutely garbage pacing, bad characters (especially coming from the great SuMo).
I would put it over XY lol. XY doesn't even have E4 rematches.

Story-wise gen 2 was actually pretty weak though even compared to gen 1 and then you had them adding Kanto.

Even aside from the controversy, this was a bottom tier Pokemon for me (I deliberately bought it used). It could have been absolute garbage-- there was no way that the first console Pokemon RPG would flop. People have been wanting this for over two decades, myself included. It just didn't happen in the way I wanted.
There were certainly people that did. Even here there have been polls as well as people claiming that the games would sell less than Let's Go.

Game Freak puts band aids on problems instead of overhauling or fixing them. Remember in Sun/Moon where they purposefully put a little enclave that you could spin around in next to the breeding center? Instead of fixing the main problems of breeding (heavily RNG based, limited gameplay interaction when it comes to hatching, time-wasting), they just let you spin in a box so you wouldn't have to go back and forth down one route.

All of the games have an area near the Daycare for hatching eggs.

I don't think they're ever going to make breeding more interactive lol.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The worst part is that despite the ability to breed nearly every Pokémon with dozens of different Pokémon of various types and species, the only unique thing breeding provides is a few select inherited moves and the boring eugenics of IVs.

You'd think after two whole decades we'd be getting half Charmander/half Totodile hybrids or something like that, not just going from DVs to IVs.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018

I think people are forgetting that this generation of nintendo the handheld and the console are one so you are getting cross over sales. Some people who only bought the home consoles are now having access too the handheld games.

You take 2 separate platforms and you make them one platform then logical reasoning says you should get more sales for the games that were only on one or the other platform before.

The switch itself and pokemon being in peoples minds since 1998 are the reason for the sales. The quality of the game is not selling the game. Its the same with star wars. You know what traditions are? Things people do regardless just because that what they do. COD, madden, etc. people buy no matter what like pokemon but in this case you have one platform instead of 2.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think R&B probably have the best story because it's the only time Gamefreak knew they didn't know how to write. SwSh is less intrusive than what I played of Ultra Moon.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I was expecting quite a response to lower sales. The fact it did better than I thought and the responses to it are as they are...it's a good morning

Sun & Moon is the last generation starter...

S&M sales aren't comparable to Sw/Sh's, either. S&M sold 16.18M by December 2019.

Why are you trying to say 3DS games sold on similar rate to Sh/Sw when this clearly isn't the case?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Like I don't even get how breeding could be "better" without it being a labourious minigame?

Anyone care to enlighten?