• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Wow. Looks nice. I am moving to Pokémon Sword after I finish Link's Awakening so this might fit perfectly.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
I ...

Liked it.

It won't fix any of the issues I had with the base game, but it's more than I expected.

I'm happy they're ditching the 'third version' model in favor of an expansion pass. I'm excited to see two entirely new areas with new characters to meet and places to explore and Pokémon to catch. I'm very pleasantly surprised that these new areas will allow full camera control everywhere. I like all the location art they showed. I love snow and snowy areas. I love the designs of the Pokémon and characters.

The only thing tempering my excitement is my disappointment with how the base game turned out, but these expansions need not be defined by that.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about these expansions as they get closer.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Well, maybe because the development process was different, they found this model unsustainable or incompatible with the development timeline. If they offered way more additional content than anyone ever asked for, that was awesome and generous, but how long was that gonna last?
It clearly didn't last if we look at this generation, but that's on Game Freak. Other developers (like Monolith Soft, Nintendo EPD, CDPR, etc.) can scale their games when they target more powerful platforms, but with Game Freak we keep getting less and less of what we used to ever since the 3DS. Now, we've to pay twice the price for in principle what we used to get. I'm not even talking about a third version, as even the base games used to have a ton of content for the postgame.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
$30 for both expansions, but each will have subtle differences depending on the version.

And now that I think about it I'm not sure that this is better than a third version, at least monetarily. We're going from $80 for paying for the game + a sequel/third version to $90 for the game + expansion pass.

Yes, but they would release a new version for $60, so $120.

That was my fear lol

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Calyrex is gonna combine with Zamazenta and Zacian.

Its name is a combination of Cali from caliburn (excalibur) and rex (king) so it should have a sword at least. Maybe the crown opens to reveal the blade.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's just that I can see they are starting to make the right choices regarding game design with this expansion content. New big wild area-like zones with new story content, focusing a bit more on exploration, expand the co-op with "dungeons", lots of new customization, ...
Now, I don't know how much of this is the new director or Masuda+Ohmori, but I'm seeing things that make me hopeful for future games.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Were there any cool girl designs shown off

It's the only reason I pay attention to Pokemon

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So happy we're getting more trainer customization options. I'm totally grabbing the Team Flare outfit.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
To a degree. People are saying it's unfinished and rushed but it was still received well, the threads on here about it are still super active 3 months later. If people are still playing it they are not doing so begrudgingly 3 months after release, they would have dropped it and move on if the game was really as bad as the hyperbolic takes make it out to be. Could it be better? Absolutely. But people are still enjoying and actively playing the game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only scenario in where I'd expect to not have to "pay" for additional SwSh content is if they billed these DLC packs as an ostensible erratum to what was a serviceable but pretty half-baked main campaign.

That's not what they're doing here by focusing on brand new regions/stories, and the part of this update I would expect to be free actually is. Since the core of SwSh was never the problem, there's ample room for them to improve via that content as well, so I have no issue whatsoever with them charging content that was clearly conceptualized and built from scratch after the completion of the main game.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely buy Sword and Shield when the expac is all released, but it really does feel like this all should have been included in the main game. It's content that I think is worth $30, but given how light Sword and Shield appears, it really could have bolstered a more robust game.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Were there any cool girl designs shown off

It's the only reason I pay attention to Pokemon
char_klara.png

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'll definitely buy Sword and Shield when the expac is all released, but it really does feel like this all should have been included in the main game. It's content that I think is worth $30, but given how light Sword and Shield appears, it really could have bolstered a more robust game.
I haven't been grinding at all and I've spent close to 40 hours with the vanilla game, just getting my 8th badge, so I'm not done yet. They aren't my favorite Pokémon games of all time and they definitely do have pacing issues, but to say they are light on content is weird to me as I'm spending pretty much the same amount of time playing through the games as I did playing through the older games. Granted, I'm not a competitive player. Just talking about the campaign.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
You have to consider third versions on the Switch. In which case, it would be two $60 games, not two $40 games.

I think this is a big reason why they've moved to expansion passes. Selling two very similar $40 games back to back in a year was already pushing it. I guess they figured they wouldn't be able to convince fans to double dip on $60 titles.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The only scenario in where I'd expect to not have to "pay" for additional SwSh content is if they billed these DLC packs as an ostensible erratum to what was a serviceable but pretty half-baked main campaign.

That's not what they're doing here by focusing on brand new regions/stories, and the part of this update I would expect to be free actually is. Since the core of SwSh was never the problem, there's ample room for them to improve via that content as well, so I have no issue whatsoever with them charging content that was clearly conceptualized and built from scratch after the completion of the main game.
If they released that erratum first and fixed the second half of the main game, you would not hear a single peep of complaint out of me about these expansions. I would just be excited about seeing new things. My criticism comes from selling these expansions when the base campaign remains in such a woefully poor state.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I admit, that was a great trailer. The way the artwork/concept art was used felt smooth and effective.

That aside, it's GameFreak so there are the usual concerns: price and quality, especially when taking the base game's rushed state into consideration

Only "half" of the price for this pass compared to previous 3rd editions falls a bit flat when the games are $60 now. $40 + $40 is less than $60 + $30.
"But what about Ultra Sun/Moon!" Yeh, what about comparing this to the exceptionally bad rip-offs by even poor Pkm standards?

That said, if these DLCs are high quality than the $30 can certainly feel alright, ignoring the base games' rushed state anyway. But how much hope is there on that when the story, mission design and much more was rubbish before?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
A feel like they made more of the girls knock-kneed in Galar. I notice it most with Gloria. It's one of my biggest design pet peeves. 😥 Maybe it just seems like it's more prevalent because Gloria is and Moon/Selene wasn't.

Fun design otherwise though. I also like her male counterpart a lot. Looks NB or GNC. I like the androgyny a lot.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Spoiled Brats for wanting a completed game? Lmao! People defending unfinished, fully price games and being ripped off by a corporation that rip people off every year sound like absolute push overs.

I swear some people here HAVE to be getting paid by Game Freak. Pokemon is the ONLY gaming IP on this forum that gets defend to such extremes. It's fucking scary to see how much a corporation has its claws in its fanbase and can do anything they want to them.

Do you seriously, SERIOUSLY, think people who have different opinions than you are getting paid by a multi-billion dollar company to defend their work? Is it not far more reasonable that you are in the minority of opinions, and a vast majority do not see the game as unfinished?

This isn't some 'we developed the DLC before launch but stuck it behind a paywall' BS. They literally didn't have enough in game footage for a real trailer. None (as far as I know) of the content teased today was found by hackers and data miners earlier.

Calm down.

half of yall complaining are still gonna buy it

90%

Oct 25, 2017
I admit, that was a great trailer. The way the artwork/concept art was used felt smooth and effective.

That aside, it's GameFreak so there are the usual concerns: price and quality, especially when taking the base game's rushed state into consideration

Only "half" of the price for this pass compared to previous 3rd editions falls a bit flat when the games are $60 now. $40 + $40 is less than $60 + $30.
"But what about Ultra Sun/Moon!" Yeh, what about comparing this to the exceptionally bad rip-offs by even poor Pkm standards?

That said, if these DLCs are high quality than the $30 can certainly feel alright, ignoring the base games' rushed state anyway. But how much hope is there on that when the story, mission design and much more was rubbish before?

If you listen to the word choice in the trailer, it's a direct response to the perception of SwSh being barebones. They literally say they are still working on new features to add in the trailer.

I'm thinking this will be meaty.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
They said catchable. There are 595 obtainable Pokemon in XY.

Nope, sorry. Both my X and Y have all 721 Pokemon in their boxes all the way up to Volcanion, who is #721. Yes, I transferred some from earlier gens but the games have a National Dex with all Pokemon up to that point. So there was a way to obtain them all as long as there was a National Dex in the game. The same goes for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire as well.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Man the reading comprehension for some people. YOU AINT SPENDING $60 FOR THE DLC(unless you have sword and shield and wanna buy the dlc twice)
I understand a bit of the confusion. TPC needs to name the expansions separately (Pokemon Sword Expansion Pass and Pokemon Shield Expansion Pass instead of Pokemon Sword and Shield Expansion Pass) to make sure people understand it's for both games but it adds a new layer of issues.
I can see them changing the flying type for Dark for all three birds.

Basically there are two options for me.

Ice/Dark
Fire/Dark
Electric/Dark

or

Ice/Psychic
Fire/Dark
Electric/Fighting
Making them into the Psychic-Dark-Fighting triangle would be awesome.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
A feel like they made more of the girls knock-kneed in Galar. I notice it most with Gloria. It's one of my biggest design pet peeves. 😥 Maybe it just seems like it's more prevalent because Gloria is and Moon/Selene wasn't.

Fun design otherwise though. I also like her male counterpart a lot. Looks NB or GNC. I like the androgyny a lot.
I think Avery is just very British/French dandy.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
This DLC seems pretty cool.

It will make Sword/Shield way better. It's still a ways off, so I still won't be playing much of the base game until then.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Nope, sorry. Both my X and Y have all 721 Pokemon in their boxes all the way up to Volcanion, who is #721. Yes, I transferred some from earlier gens but the games have a National Dex with all Pokemon up to that point. So there was a way to obtain them all as long as there was a National Dex in the game. The same goes for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire as well.
...Yes. There are 721 total Pokémon and of those there are 595 CATCHABLE pokémon in the games.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
On one hand, it's nice that they are finally going the true expansion route, instead of the terrible third version / improved sequel route.

On the other hand, with how barebones the main games were, it feels especially like a punch in the gut to see such expansions come so early. It kinda feels like the full game is 90$ :/