• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
We lost here.

EocwwsN.jpg
Why you gotta remind me I want perry

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't give two shits about """ambition""" if the endproduct sucks. Bravely Default was way less ambitious than FF15, yet it kicks FF15's ass.

The BD created a whole new take on turn based. That's far more than whatever shitty mechanics have been created for the pokemon games. That's ambition right there.

This now is the same thing.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, the game seems rather conservative, I'm surprised at how the trailer didn't show the "improvements" Let's Go included.

And about the graphics, the art is good, but the texture work looks really bad in some scenes. Switch has BotW and Xc2, both games look far more impressive than Pokemon here and both have better performance (I hope they fix that). Both have free camera too. I hope the game is at least 1080p.

I know that graphics are only a part of a game, but for a franchise that sells more than most games, it's really disappointing that their games always look kinda meh on their systems.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like to be negative, but even without thinking it would be "Pokémon's breath of the Wild", this looks like a very boring/safe sequel.

Pokémon Let's Go was disappointing visually due to being akin to X&Y in HD.
Tile based environments and weirdly proportioned characters made it feel like an HD 3DS game, it took a step back from Sun and Moon even.

This...just looks like Sun and Moon in HD. Taking nearly 3 years since switch launched, that's not good.
Fixed camera and random encounters are egregious examples in 2019.
No random encounters was the best thing Let's Go did and they ditched it.
Fixed camera makes it hard to appreciate any advancements in visuals, but it doesn't look particularly good anyways?

They even ditched the Pokémon that follow you leading to very empty looking scenes. Seems like it would be simple to at least have your started following you.

If they included at least one of the 3 missing features I'd probably feel better about it, but probably just cements my feelings about game freak

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing random encounters add is padding and tedium. It's a step back from overworld encounters in every way and it's why the genre as a whole has moved away from them.

The whole Genre doesnt have the same focus on collecting, breeding, trading and training as Pokemon.

In the ones where you have some focus on it, the enemies are still random (like persona where you dont know what you'll fight or the orange balls on Etrian Odyssey).

I'm guessing in pokemon its also used as a way to avoid trainers being severely under leveled by forcing at least some fights, wihout designing those encounters.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dammit, they are not including the best new feature from let's go, being able to see wild Pokemon wandering around the world.

This is just bad game design.

I will wait to see the final evolutions before deciding on a starter. GF has a habit of turning awesome starters into awful jokes by their third form.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
D0a0h5BV4AEP997

"UpScAleD SuN AnD mOoN"
See that mountain?... Oh wait you can''t go there.
That's an absolutely rubbish excuse.

It's not about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

This console can do some impressive things, I mean just look at XC2, developed by a third party first party (I was wrong, but point stands regarding Switch can do so much more than what we're seeing here).

xc2_10.jpg
Now you just made me sad.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any Pokemon games have good hunting/capturing mechanics. The main benefit to Pokemon being open world would be to have the ability to pursue your Pokemon like horses in Red Dead 2 or BotW which would feel more like pursuit than just running around in tall grass.

But the series is never going to change beyond its 90s roots so I'm not sure what you can do to make pursuing Pokemon feel interesting with this level design.

Imagine the variety

Stealth, traps, tracking, ambushes, etc...

But our dreams of what Pokemon COULD be are so large in scope that we could still be another decade from a game like that being made... if at all

I keep going back to the design goals of Monster Hunter World and the philosophy they used to make that ambitious game (which in all fairness still very much sticks to core MH mechanics in many ways)

I wonder if the Staff at Game Freak are sitting on some ambitious designs in their heads that they are wanting to pull the trigger on

Lets go was the first disruptive experience for the series in a long time and its honestly not THAT huge a leap. Nothing like BOTW or MHW

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: "Lazy devs" rhetoric.
Is anyone really surprised by how basic it looks and will probably play? This is Game Freak, of the laziest and least technically capable devs around. Unless Pokemon games really drop in sales they won't bother much.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I think GameFreak should give us a 2d/2.5d sprite version of the game like Dragon Quest, I'd rather play with sprites to be honest

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, this is a console Pokemon game so if there was a time to make changes it would be now. Let's Go was a nostalgia trip.

Let's Go is also a console game that demands resources - they even produced hardware to go along with it. We're not seeing a "revolution" in the Pokemon formula unless the audience demands it and GF takes some time to change development. Monolith could probably teach them a thing or two in this regard.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It's not immersive to see Pokémon waddling around with bad animations, popping out of nowhere, and not trying to attack you. It's dumb.

This is reductive and inaccurate. It's also far more immersive to have Pokémon wander the battlefield (or swim in the water) than hiding 10 foot beasts in 10" of grass.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
That's an absolutely rubbish excuse.

It's not about expecting BOTW tier (and even then BOTW is hardly some sacred gold standard in 2019), it's about a HD game in 2019 looking like it's come from several generations ago.

This console can do some impressive things, I mean just look at XC2, developed by a third party.

Xenoblade 2 looks dreadful in handheld mode, which probably was a priority for Pokemon.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Nice 'Us real fans' rhetoric man. I've played all the damn games, random encounters are still a super dated mechanic that RPGs have forgone for a long long time for good reason. Let's Go was much better paced, had more alive looking areas, and significantly less frustration because it let you see the pokemon in the overworld.

I'm so tired of people going 'But this has always been a thing tho!'. Change can be good, very good in this case. There is literally no real downside to roaming pokemon, and whole ton of upsides. This is the shit that made my jaded self genuinely smile when I saw Let's Go and a gigantic Onix popped up in a cave, it was so fucking cool. It was exactly the shit I wanted since I was a kid.
From a stylistic point of view, roaming Pokemon can make the overworld feel cluttered

There were times when I played Let's Go where the world felt very "video gamey" with random Pidgey banging into walls and half a dozen Caterpie just moving back and forth in a very static way

So there is a downside.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Looking through the map bottom to top:
1. The starting area seems to be Northern England, that town is roughly where Carlisle or Penrith are.
2. The Lake district
3. I'm guessing because the City in the middle is connected with a mine, that's based of Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, the last one most likely because of the Football thing. Which means... Are they going to mention the whole Coal Strikes and the like and have NPC's go "F*** The Iron Lady!!!"?
4. Liverpool seems to be that coastal town. Nottingham Forrest seems to be there and Leeds, Sheffield or Grimsby?
5. That big city before London could Oxford or Birmingham.
Have I missed anything?
I'm pretty sure the big city in the middle is Birmingham, it has the red brick look of the area around the children's hospital, and canals.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played through a complete pokemon game in a while, do they still have things like the old legendary dogs, where you have to fly from area to area to find them in a long grass random battle?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man, not a fan of any of those starter designs. Like...at all. I usually pick the fire starter, but I'll be damned if I pick a silly bunny.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I always find it funny seeing people posting pictures of Town as if it looks good when it looks like hot garbage.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It's not immersive to see Pokémon waddling around with bad animations, popping out of nowhere, and not trying to attack you. It's dumb.

Ok but that was just the first implementation of the idea

What if that foundation was built upon, grown and improved on

The concept is sound and well liked by the community but because the first effort fell short it should be scrapped for something regressive?

That just a sad way to view it

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I went and put down in red everything that looked like a path or 'dungeon area' (the bigger circles). I had no idea how that lake area in the middle is going to go so I just drew the straightest line from the bottom to top.

yreeggo.jpg

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Well, that certainly does look like more of the same, huh? I don't think I'm into the slow pace of that style anymore, but maybe I'll pick it up for old time's sake. I was hoping it would do something different.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like free camera in areas?

As for the random encounters, it can be done while keeping new Pokemon hidden just by making them shadows or blobs. Once you encounter one it will show in the field like the others.

Yeah that's the idea.The mystery of encountering a Pokemon is still here and the outdated design of random encounters is gone.