ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the one game on the app so far that I can't see the appeal of at all. It's like a worse version of every other pokemon game where they just give you some canned pokemon and you fight them.
They really should have included the gen 1 roms in this. But thats probably asking too much. Being able to play your Pokemon game on the TV and being able to speed the game up was cool.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Rentals only? That's like releasing the game with only hard mode. Worth it for the hype title screen you get for beating everything.
Lol I never knew this was a thing.

I probably put like 100 hours into this as a kid and never beat it.

Reason being, as a dumb kid I used rentals despite owning Blue and a Transfer Pak.

Same thing with 2 and owning Silver.

In my defence there was no point using my own Pokémon because I had a level 100 starter and nothing else.

Apr 7, 2018
Probably had the most challenging battles a player could take on at the time in the series so if you wanted tricky, arguably rigged against you matches to try and solve with either your own pokemon you've raised up or the rentals it had it's relevance. Losing the ability to use your own pokemon does make things a bit less fun to be honest.

It's that or you spent a lot of hours away as a kid in the Mini Game Corner.

If you want a challenge, generate a random team of rentals with the Random Pokemon Generator https://randompokemon.com/ or a Random Number Generator and pick the pokemon associated with the number and see how far you can go.

Do better than Keizaron dying to a 1hp Magikarp

View: https://youtu.be/7GHdAtbPYvo?t=1376

OH it's definitely rigged against the player. The game seems to always know what you're going to do for the next move/Pokémon swap in round 2.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I dropped the controller with the pack in it once and it erased my Blue save and after that I never used it for either Stadium 1 or 2

Oh fuck, I had completely forgotten this but I dropped my controller with Red in it on the glass table in our living room. Save was wiped and I was devastated as a dumb kid (still played Blue and Yellow all the way through and probably Red again as well)

That being the case, I really did just use rentals. Never played 2 and I really didn't know it was basically impossible to beat it with rentals. Knowing 1 is possible seems like kind of a fun challenge, really

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dropped the controller with the pack in it once and it erased my Blue save and after that I never used it for either Stadium 1 or 2
I always have a controller in slot 2 with the pack instead of the controller in slot 1. I don't know if started doing it cause I lost data or not.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I don't get why people love Stadium. Only thing it had was the fact that it was the first 3D Pokemon game but other than that..
So you do understand.

I think this is the one game on the app so far that I can't see the appeal of at all. It's like a worse version of every other pokemon game where they just give you some canned pokemon and you fight them.

This isn't hard. Middle of Pokemania. 90s. Pokemon game on the N64. In 3D with actual animations, much closer to the anime than the proper games. Easy access to multiplayer not requiring a second cart and you could battle your friends. Mini games.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Never played 2 and I really didn't know it was basically impossible to beat it with rentals. Knowing 1 is possible seems like kind of a fun challenge, really
Stadium 2 is perfectly possible as well, speedruns of both games use rentals exclusively. There are two important details to keep in mind:

1: If you get a continue (for beating an opponent without losing any Pokemon) you essentially have infinite continues, all you have to do is select to suspend your game, then continue your game and it lets you attempt the fight again without using your continue.

2: Fully evolved is not always best because their stats don't make up for garbage movesets. The best Pokemon are the likes of Kadabra (with great speed/attack and top movesets), or ones that have Explosion/Selfdestruct/Destiny Bond/Mirror Coat/Counter like Voltorb, Haunter, Graveler, Pineco Wobbuffet, Corsola etc. as they can guarantee OHKOs on Pokemon that would otherwise demolish you. With them you can turn a 3v3 into a straight 1v1 against an opponent's weakest Pokemon.

Rental only is actually the most interesting way to play the Stadium games, because usually the Pokemon you want to use are the ones that would otherwise be defined as useless.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could 'hide' N64 games on the app. I probably have close to 20 redundant ones cause of NoE choosing to put multiple language versions on there

edit massively overinflated that - it's 8 - but it will keep growing :(

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wish you could 'hide' N64 games on the app. I probably have close to 20 redundant ones cause of NoE choosing to put multiple language versions on there

edit massively overinflated that - it's 8 - but it will keep growing :(
You can hide the PAL apps. But maybe you are playing one of the European languages?

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I forgot the total BS of some of Gen 1's mechanics lmao. It takes a while to get used to all the old typings of Pokemon and moves as well

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot the total BS of some of Gen 1's mechanics lmao. It takes a while to get used to all the old typings of Pokemon and moves as well
It's not much you have to keep track of to be honest basically all you have to remember that there's no physical/special attack split, critical hits are tied to the speed stat of the Pokemon and Psychic Type Pokemon are the strongest Pokemon with Mewtwo being THE strongest Pokemon in the game.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How's the choice of rental pokemon, are all of them available?

149 of 151, Mew and Mewtwo aren't in rentals from what I remember, and some of the cups have their own restrictions on which pokemon you can bring as well. I think you can use Mew in Prime Cup R2, but Mewtwo ain't going to be available in Rentals.

Generally the Rentals were balanced around the best moves being given to the unevolved pokemon. Whilst the fully evolved tended to get either weaker moves or the stronger less accurate moves in comparison. A good example of this is Vulpix and Ninetales. Both get Confuse Ray and Dig, but Vulpix gets Flamethrower and Barrier whilst Ninetales gets Fire Spin and Bide.

The AI does not follow by these same rules and will have fully evolved pokemon with great movepools, especially in R2, so good luck with them.

Last edited:

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus I'm gonna be starting up that game today for sure. Hype! Missed the announcers voice so much. Sad that the transfer pack functionality isn't available as of yet, but maybe it will come sooner or later.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually remember getting a strategy guide back in the day for Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 which comprehensively detailed how to beat the game with rentals. It was kind of wild how so much of it felt like gaming the system, or that it was even possible.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Lol I never knew this was a thing.

I probably put like 100 hours into this as a kid and never beat it.

Reason being, as a dumb kid I used rentals despite owning Blue and a Transfer Pak.

Same thing with 2 and owning Silver.

In my defence there was no point using my own Pokémon because I had a level 100 starter and nothing else.
Did you miss the Doduo/Dotrio gameboy option? Grinded my Pokémon using that lol.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
So you do understand.

This isn't hard. Middle of Pokemania. 90s. Pokemon game on the N64. In 3D with actual animations, much closer to the anime than the proper games. Easy access to multiplayer not requiring a second cart and you could battle your friends. Mini games.
Yes I can see for the time why it would be fun but I don't see the appeal of playing it today.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's very funny seeing all the Transfer Pak references on the box art and in-game. The functionality's gotta be coming, but it's bizarre they launched without it. It'll be fun trying to get some of these rentals to work, the movesets are NONSENSE lmao.
Imma be real with you, I don't think the Transfer Pak functionality is ever coming to Pokémon Stadium.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
When I re-covered the game a few years back to improve the site's section, I got really frustrated with it because a fast Dragonair with Wrap basically stopped me doing literally anything.
How's the choice of rental pokemon, are all of them available?
All Pokémon are available through rentals. Different modes have different Rental Pokémon.

Got them all listed on Serebii if you want to have a browse

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
Playing this again is a full dose of nostalgia. This was my first pokémon game, as I didn't hava a game boy at that moment. Soon after I was gifted with Stadium I bought Pokémon Yellow. So many memories of the TV spots while I couldn´t believe how good Charizard was looking on 3D.

That said, I´m fine with the rental only Pokémon, even if it reduces the playable value of the game. The only thing that bothers me is that we wont be able to use Mewtwo without the GB games.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
When I re-covered the game a few years back to improve the site's section, I got really frustrated with it because a fast Dragonair with Wrap basically stopped me doing literally anything.
Similarly, last time I ventured into this game in the gym leader castle, onix just trapped my primeape in a bind loop for eternity

Good times!
That must've been well over a decade ago but the trauma remains

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people love Stadium. Only thing it had was the fact that it was the first 3D Pokemon game but other than that..
Apart from "ooh, everything is in 3D!", all of my big reasons to love Stadium are related to Gen 1 game connectivity, so they have no relation to the NSO version.
  • In gen 1, where the games didn't really tell you anything, it was a massive information repository.

On GB, you get the move name, PP and (in battle) the type:
    PblE5yu.png
    grSbimN.png

In Stadium, you get the full info - PP, type, power, accuracy and description:
    cRoJB28.png

• It simplified box management by a ton - you could move mons or entire boxes between games, reorder boxes easily, and transfer your mons around freely without having to wait for move animations.
    To this day, Stadium is my favourite box management system in terms of sheer speed and accessibility, even more so than Stadium GS.

• You could store items from the GB games in Stadium, so all those TMs/vitamins/etc. that the pitiful in-game limitations won't let you keep. You can also transfer items between games, which isn't possible in the games themselves.

• It was the only way to get Surfing Pikachu, which also unlocked the Pikachu's Beach minigame in Yellow.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Stadium 2 is perfectly possible as well, speedruns of both games use rentals exclusively. There are two important details to keep in mind:

1: If you get a continue (for beating an opponent without losing any Pokemon) you essentially have infinite continues, all you have to do is select to suspend your game, then continue your game and it lets you attempt the fight again without using your continue.

2: Fully evolved is not always best because their stats don't make up for garbage movesets. The best Pokemon are the likes of Kadabra (with great speed/attack and top movesets), or ones that have Explosion/Selfdestruct/Destiny Bond/Mirror Coat/Counter like Voltorb, Haunter, Graveler, Pineco Wobbuffet, Corsola etc. as they can guarantee OHKOs on Pokemon that would otherwise demolish you. With them you can turn a 3v3 into a straight 1v1 against an opponent's weakest Pokemon.

Rental only is actually the most interesting way to play the Stadium games, because usually the Pokemon you want to use are the ones that would otherwise be defined as useless.

That's some good info. I figured it couldn't have been literally impossible. I think I reremember seeing movesets being worse on final stages and the OHKO technique on that guy's youtube show where he's trying to beat every N64 game.

Thanks!

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Presentation wise, this holds up surprisingly well considering the few things it still tops the main series on.

Feb 27, 2019
Spent a lot of time as a kid with the minigames. Otherwise this game isn't stellar.

More and more, though, I'm considering subscribing to the Expansion Pass. My dream was to always have all first-party Nintendo games playable in some official form on modern consoles, and we're getting closer and closer to that goal. (DS and 3DS will be harder if not impossible, of course, but still.)

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Could never master the Drowzee minigame even now lol.

Got up to the Elite 4 now in the Gym Leader challenge though with rentals.

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
I loved Stadium's minigames as a kid, really excited to give it a go this weekend.

Too bad that I probably won't be able to beat the Elite 4, but I can live with it.

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
I need to dig out my transfer pak and buy that n64 controller for the Switch. I'm sure no one has made this joke.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody figured out what went wrong with the "hack check" code (when the text turns pink)? It's detecting stuff on rentals and CPU trainers and that stuff isn't even impossible most of the time.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The animations for the Pokemon are still very impressive, as is the way they made the GB cries sound like actual animal noises while still being recognizable as their GB cries
This is the biggest failure of Pokemon games since gen 6. Pokemon lost so much expressiveness in their animations since the games went properly into 3D.

The 3D Pokemon games leading all the way up to Battle Revolution all had Pokemon animated in such a lively manner.

The early Pokemon cries retaining their 8-bit audio quality is also really bizarre to me. Stadium made them sound so much better, so why not reuse them when the technology allowed for it?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Round 1 is actually good with rental Pokemon. It feels like it was actually balanced around them while round 2 was designed for the rental Pokemon. While it's still a shame a large part of the game is missing, it's still a good play even without transferring anything. The same can't be said for Stadium 2.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
Playing through it now. Got through to the Fuchsia Gym in the Gym Leader Caslte. Rentals make this very tough, but im gonna try to beat it all. It's annoying when some fully evolved Pokemon have worse attacks than the pre-evolutions.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the biggest failure of Pokemon games since gen 6. Pokemon lost so much expressiveness in their animations since the games went properly into 3D.

The 3D Pokemon games leading all the way up to Battle Revolution all had Pokemon animated in such a lively manner.

The early Pokemon cries retaining their 8-bit audio quality is also really bizarre to me. Stadium made them sound so much better, so why not reuse them when the technology allowed for it?
HAL does what Gamefreak won't

Ssyem

Mar 15, 2022
I played my first Pokemon RPG (Yellow) through Stadium using the N64 Transfer Pak. I never thought to ask for a Gameboy until Gold/Silver came out (and never got one, my Dad just set up an emulator on our Windows 98 PC).

I don't think I played Pokemon portably until GBA like 5 years after my first experience with it.

Aaron

Dreamcast Political Party
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Gonna try at least beating Round 1 with the rentals. I never did when I owned the game on N64 despite playing the hell out of it.

I don't know if I can touch Round 2 until (fingers crossed) R/B/Y transfer pak support is added in. These rental movesets are awful.