• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017
I read an idea that the reason Fuecoco looks like an apple is because it's referencing the garden of eden and foreshadowing how it'll lose its limbs and evolve into a snake.

I don't buy it, and it sounds like Zodiac theory copium, but it would be pretty clever.
I read it could be based on "pimiento del piquillo" (piquillo pepper).
receta-de-pimientos-del-piquillo-rellenos.jpg

Piquilloppepperpktpic.jpg
Definitely not an apple.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
so for fire starters, we're at 8 of 12

dragon
rat
rooster
monkey
pig
dog
tiger
rabbit

remaining:

horse
goat
snake
ox

what are the chances of that croc looking thing being a snake in its final evo?

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I wonder how the Spanish translation will be this time now that the games are literally based on Spain, they're gonna have a field day with their dialogues lol

This would be the perfect time to recognize the Latin American Spanish, but I think they'll go the other route with the excuse of well, it's based on Spain 🤷🏻‍♂️

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Lol, two widely different responses. Have to agree with Glio though, especially considering Pokémon isn't a wholly owned Nintendo franchise and I think the chances of an enhanced Switch are nil at this point. 5.5 years in is way too play for a pro console.
Pokémon is fully owned by Nintendo but marketing and distribution is done by TPC.

People still thinking about a Switch Pro or Switch 2 for BOTW 2 are just wishful thinking at this point.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
My main request is that they keep the throwing and catching mechanics and QOL stuff from Legends, while reverting the battle system to the mainline competitive style, without compromising the speed and fluidity that Legends had.

I'm a little scared that they won't and it'll be more of the same compared to mainline games, since Legends was more of an action RPG for core gamers, and they're already advertising this as a game for all-ages, which makes me think they may downplay the more skill-based action stuff. Although the fact they're outright saying it's open world does give me some hope!
Yeah if they revert most of the Legends changes I won't be getting it. Arceus was the first Pokemon i've played since Ruby/Sapphire for a reason. And i'm guessing i'm not alone.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The lighting is so much better than anything else we've seen from GF. I think it's the biggest improvement together with the overall density of the environments.

The way light reflects on the puddles here is really good, water in general looks very good:

Screenshot-20220227-185611-You-Tube.jpg

And how the shading on the clothes here make them look very realistic:

Screenshot-20220227-185740-You-Tube.jpg

Look at the textures here on the shorts and backpack. It's superior to anything else GF has developed.

6.jpg

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It will play like Arceus in open world but battle system will most likely be back to normal. Strong style and agile style will never work in a competitive setting, imo.

If all I am going to lose are the styles that is fine. I just like everything else a out Arceus. Finally a Pokemon where everything doesn't take forever. It's just so quick and has a nice gameplay loop.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Lol, two widely different responses. Have to agree with Glio though, especially considering Pokémon isn't a wholly owned Nintendo franchise and I think the chances of an enhanced Switch are nil at this point. 5.5 years in is way too play for a pro console.

Since it is published by Nintendo, I am sure the lion´s share of the expenses falls on them for Switch Pokemon games. At the very same time when they are spending money on holiday Switch ads. To throw in BotW2, with Xenoblade 3 a couple of months before, would be a really clustered quarter that would have each title competing for the spotlight. Its possible but would make no sense from a business standpoint.

And stronger Switch is a successor/pro. We are in a time where the differences come down to positioning

A Switch Pro isn't happening. If it was, we would've gotten it last year instead if the OLED model.

But the Switch 2 is still very possible next year, and no one knows if BotW2 is being planned to showcase it. I mean, people told me Gen 9 wasnt ever going to happen this year lol

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
If they do bring back the catching mechanics from Arceus I hope it's more interesting. By the end of PLA it just gets so mindless to me. I caught a level 80 alpha Garchomp by walking up behind it and basically shooting it in the back. That would be so stupid in a regular RPG lol.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
My main request is that they keep the throwing and catching mechanics and QOL stuff from Legends, while reverting the battle system to the mainline competitive style, without compromising the speed and fluidity that Legends had.

I'm a little scared that they won't and it'll be more of the same compared to mainline games, since Legends was more of an action RPG for core gamers, and they're already advertising this as a game for all-ages, which makes me think they may downplay the more skill-based action stuff. Although the fact they're outright saying it's open world does give me some hope!
I'm feeling the same way.

I don't mind some of the tweaks like status conditions going away, but the turn order is the main culprit. It makes it so you can't switch out a pokemon if you've got a bad match, taking away a lot of strategy. It makes PLA harder, and that's good, but I don't see how it will work for competitive. They can add a few things to keep the main game hard like not allowing you free switches in battles and letting the pokemon gang up on you again. The game can still play quickly with the old style turn order.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the main reason why I'm somewhat concerned that Legends Arceus' catching mechanics won't be fully translated over to this game is that part of the reason that game worked the way it did is because it had a very lackadaisical focus on team building over task management. You were kind of expected to catch a lot of Pokémon in that game, whereas in the generational titles, each catch is sort of meant to be a rewarding moment celebrating a new induction to the team, so it makes some sense that it demanded more effort and "finesse" I suppose, compared to Arceus where every Dex entry has variations of "catch a baker's dozen of this one".

Of course that's less of a "design" issue and more of a mental issue to deal with but I can see Game Freak potentially fielding that kind of question internally while Arceus was happening. I hope I'm wrong, and if nothing else I would hope that they took all the positive quality of life changes away from that game's development in the way it offered expedience. I kind of tell myself "surely pre-release impressions from Arceus and focus testing had to show that people want this to be Pokémon's future". If nothing else the open catching should at least be an option in this game, even if elements might end up rebalanced along the way.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Wondering how exploration will be done. Assuming that they'll keep the PLA traversal Pokémon but it would sure be nice to be able to get the ability to fly/surf early on instead of blocking them until mid to late game.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Could this be similar to what the Water Starter will turn into?:

The Blue Footed Booby

Interesting-facts-about-Red-and-Blue-footed-Boobies.jpg

Which while not from Spain does connect to Spain as they are from Southern Amercia

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time in several gens where I am actually happy with the starters. Hope the rest of the new pokemon are just as good.

Edit: Graphics still look like butt. :(

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
GF, I know you're listening, it's not too late to grant my wish:

Battling wild Pokémon is always single battles.
Battling trainers is always doubles.

The battle system in Gen 8 was clearly balanced for doubles, including but not limited to Dynamax. It's a great battle system! You should be proud of it. GF! Let's just make it official.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But the Switch 2 is still very possible next year, and no one knows if BotW2 is being planned to showcase it. I mean, people told me Gen 9 wasnt ever going to happen this year lol
The Switch 2 isn't happening until at least 2024, & I can't see BotW2 being delayed any further than Early 2023.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Lighting and texture improvements are welcome but good god is that environ art still ugly, even when saved by the artstyle.

When they finally get around to SEAsia/Australia really hope they're on newer hardware or at least just even more experienced...

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to hear what this game cooks up for its soundtrack. SwSh brought the heat in this regard.

Oct 29, 2017
The crocodile has a Nintendo charm to it that transcends Pokémon design per se. It could show up in Mario games or Kirby games and fit right in.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope if a new set of starters get some kind of regional variant this gen the mid form also changes. One thing i didnt like about the legends regional variant is how random the final evo feels for the starters.

jankuza

Jan 13, 2021
From the description on the Website, the shape of Spains Map and what we saw Ingame I believe this will really be Pokemons BotW Moment. A fully non-linear Open-World.

I expect that you can freely choose in which Order you do the Gyms and it will scale depending how many badges you have.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if it has been said already but the architecture seen in the trailer is not boiding well for this game having more than one city.

The big city they shown uses both Barcelona and Madrid's architectural styles, and the vegetation is based on the Valencian orange orchards. So there they go the 3 major spanish cities. Then the outside houses are based, at least the interiors in andalusian houses, so Seville/Cordoba is also represented.

You can see also a part of the map of the region during the trailer were Galicia is, and is a huge swamp (probably the one in the trailer were psyduck appears).
Maybe theres some super small towns dotted around the map but something tells me this is using the arceus method and only having one big base city. (I think what appears to be names in the map are openworld regions names and not town names)
Hopefully im on the wrong here.

Also about the starter animals, seems they are based (sprigatito is 100% clear at least) im 3 spanish animals from what people are saying in the internet.
Sprigatio is a iberian lynx

f.elconfidencial.com%2Foriginal%2F8d3%2F6bb%2F357%2F8d36bb357027f929d1533909fc5984dc.jpg

Fuecoco may be based on giant lizard of tenerife
a623a698-b65e-4f87-a8cb-360acd4bebcc_16-9-aspect-ratio_default_0.jpg

And quaxly may be based (although this one seems the less likely) in a male red crested pochard (while is a very typical duck from spain it can also be found in other parts of the world, thats why i think this may not be based in this animal. I just think its based more in how some spanish people dress here, just like the rabbit in sword and shield looks like a football player. That of the x in the name just make his evolution line make him look like don quixote, his hair may not be a pompadour, but the first shape of what could become don quixotes hat (fun fact, he used a pissing bowl).
latest

Probably more interesting is the shots of the real part of the trailer were so much emphasis is put in oranges and wine grapes, which i think is an indication with the titles of what we are gonna be getting with the legendaries

FMorUE0WUAoc_lF

FMorUX3WUAk4Yhz

Those 2 shields in the last screenshot with an orange and the other with the grapes are particularly interesting.

Also im seeing a lot of comments this could be based in the iberian peninsula as a whole, but the map shown in the real part of the trailer is cutting exactly portugal out of it, so i dont think anything about portugal is in this game.

Last edited:

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The Switch 2 isn't happening until at least 2024, & I can't see BotW2 being delayed any further than Early 2023.

We have no idea what Nintendo is planning so nothing should be spoken like it is set. How many people spoke definitively saying that this year we were just getting Arceus expansions this holiday and that Gen 9 was a holiday 2023 title so they could have extra development time? We can logically assume that if there were a title to showcase the Switch 2, it would be BotW2 and they may impact when they intend to release it. And given that next year the Switch will be 6 in March, its possible that we may get new hardware with BotW2.

So we should just wait and see what happens

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
I dunno if it has been said already but the architecture seen in the trailer is not boiding well for this game having more than one city.

The big city they shown uses both Barcelona and Madrid's architectural styles, and the vegetation is based on the Valencian orange orchards. So there they go the 3 major spanish cities. Then the outside houses are based, at least the interiors in andalusian houses, so Seville/Cordoba is also represented.

You can see also a part of the map of the region during the trailer were Galicia is, and is a huge swamp (probably the one in the trailer were psyduck appears).
Maybe theres some super small towns dotted around the map but something tells me this is using the arceus method and only having one big base city. (I think what appears to be names in the map are openworld regions names and not town names)

Also about the starter animals, seems they are based (sprigatito is 100% clear at least) im 3 spanish animals from what people are saying in the internet.

f.elconfidencial.com%2Foriginal%2F8d3%2F6bb%2F357%2F8d36bb357027f929d1533909fc5984dc.jpg

And quaxly may be based (although this one seems the less likely) in a male red crested pochard (while is a very typical duck from spain it can also be found in other parts of the world, thats why i think this may not be based in this animal. I just think its based more in how some spanish people dress here, just like the rabbit in sword and shield looks like a football player.
latest

Probably more interesting is the shots of the real part of the trailer were so much emphasis is put in oranges and wine grapes, which i think is an indication with the titles of what we are gonna be getting with the legendaries

FMorUE0WUAoc_lF

FMorUX3WUAk4Yhz

Those 2 shields in the last screenshot with an orange and the other with the grapes are particularly interesting.
The site explicitely mentions various towns.
I'd say it's possible that we might get one big hub city as you mentioned and smaller towns through the map, but I wouldn't be necessarily *too* worried at this moment.
The map also seemingly refers to both Spain and Portugal, so we *might* get a version of Lisbona in the game, although not necessarily on the same location as in the real world.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
So do we think the box legendaries are going to be orange and grape related, respectively? Maybe the evil teams? Team Mimosa and Team Wine confirmed?

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019

And quaxly may be based (although this one seems the less likely) in a male red crested pochard (while is a very typical duck from spain it can also be found in other parts of the world, thats why i think this may not be based in this animal. I just think its based more in how some spanish people dress here, just like the rabbit in sword and shield looks like a football player.
latest

FMorUE0WUAoc_lF

FMorUX3WUAk4Yhz

Also im seeing a lot of comments this could be based in the iberian peninsula as a whole, but the map shown in the real part of the trailer is cutting exactly portugal out of it, so i dont think anything about portugal is in this game.
They've explicitly confirmed multiple towns/cities so it shouldn't be an issue

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Glad it looks like it is taking a lot from PLA. Watching the trailer on a larger screen makes me wish for a new Switch, but I'm sure it will look fine, like PLA, on the Switch's screen.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think Pokemon Orange and Pokemon Purple would have fit better considering the supposed Orange and Grapes theme, and bonus points for getting that nostalgia factor

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Pokemon Orange and Pokemon Purple would have fit better considering the supposed Orange and Grapes theme, and bonus points for getting that nostalgia factor

Too basic for modern Pokemon titles /s

Idk, names prolly make more sense when we see the legendaries