• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning of October, I made a thread explaining that the game has been a failure, and most of us went off on why it was a failure.
The week after, the producers of the game issued an apology, striving to make the game more enoyable/shake things up.

I believe they have done a good job addressing some of the inexcusable things.

1. This went from the stingiest gacha I'd ever played, to one of the most generous.
Prior to the apology, getting Gems was absolutely horrid. They gave you some ok login rewards, but the daily/event quests were absolutely pathetic. It was basically you only got 2-3 free single pulls if you played every day for a month.
The login bonuses since have gotten quite generous. Now they basically give a 10 pull every week, with the bonuses, promotions, and updated event rewards. I can't say exactly how many gems we've gotten since the apology, but it's felt like we just get tons and tons of gems now. Of course how lucky you've been with pulls will affect your perception on this (I've been obscenely lucky since the apology).
Not as generous as Dragalia Lost, but maybe they will be when the anniversaries roll up.

2. They improved the usability of the game.
Another massive, massive problem with the game was how it was so cumbersome to get around. It was missing basic features like a home button, replay functions, and you could only trade items 1 at a time.
All of those issues have been largely addressed. You can now select how many items you want to trade at a time, all of the battle menus include a home button, and single player content has a replay button.
There are still improvements that can be made, like letting us replay games in Co-Op, or letting us trade down, but at the very least, these things that should have been there at launch are there now.

3. The producers are communicating with us.
Prior to the apology, there was little to no communication from the producers. We had no idea if they knew what was going on in the game, and what the future held.
Now, every 2-3 weeks, they release a big statement with the planned updates in the short/long term.
You can see just what they've done/what they plan to do to address the issues in these updates.
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3

Most recently, they've done a video update, the contents of which prompted me to create this thread.

In the video, they go over more long term prospects on the game, confirming Lance and Cynthia for early next year, announcing the first seasonal units (Rosa and Siebold), further expanding on the upcoming Legendary Event (where you can get Giovanni & Mewtwo), details on the next banner (with Grimsley) and finally bringing big updates for the single player experience.

The last point is the most significant. They have done things to improve the single player experience, but there haven't been big updates to content available. There were new story chapters and higher tiers of training, but it still feels somewhat sparse.
Next year they plan on bringing in a new mode that is completely single player focused, and they're also allowing further building of your characters, which may help out with balance.

Co-Op is still difficult to deal with, and while the rewards for having to put up with it have gotten significantly better, you still have to deal with slow battles most likely with a group that has no idea how to play (talking about random matches of course). The EX Training is still unplayable without Discord.
Thus, them focusing on single player, at least for now, is a bit reassuring.
They still need to fix Co-Op though.

So yeah, the game has gotten significantly better in the last 2ish months.
I wouldn't say it's a great game now, but I've been getting much more from it personally (since I've been lucky), and I am very much looking forward to the updates.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'll have to give it another go, thanks for the update

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Putting Christmas Rosa before Cynthia is evil.
I'm glad they fixed the hardest difficulty only dropping the highest tier drops though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Epic's Battle Breakers and that game feels very unfinished and yet much more engaging to play. Masters has been such a disappointment. it's an idea that practically prints money but they fucked it up badly. how are there not any Sword and SHield characters in this yet? even Go got Galarian Weezing

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still login everyday waiting for the game to improve, almost at 30k gems iirc, so I sure hope it'll be worth it.
As long as the end game is still the unbeatable coops, I'm not going to get back to dedicate time on this.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, though, it's kind of amazing how hard they're trying to turn things around when a lot of underperforming gacha games would just get dropped.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is still in a really bad state. To me, it went from being shit to just being... bad ?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, though, it's kind of amazing how hard they're trying to turn things around when a lot of underperforming gacha games would just get dropped.

I guess having the word "Pokemon" in your title puts you into a different position where you can't just pull the plug without trying to turn things around first. ^^

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That presentation video was really boring and lackluster even by gacha presentation standards.

Really rooting for this game, though. It could definitely be one of the greats in its genre.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All the problems with the game would be instantly forgiven if they just gave everyone Miror B.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, the core gameplay needs to be majorly reworked if they want me back. It's horribly balanced and unrewarding.

Maybe it'll get there, but it's so fundamentally broken that I just don't think it can be saved for me.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Two Pokemon games this year have had letters to fans from the producers on their websites, but one of them was an outline of intention and plans to respond to concerns and make fans happy, while one was "Please Understand".

I'll support PokeMas as long as the game stays up

But people above are right in that it's a poor move to not have SwSh characters ready to release right now.

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Like today, they gave us 4500 gems for logging in.
I think that's more gems than you could obtain between launch and the apology.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Seems like incremental improvements but...why are they already increasing the max level limit?? Just to punish players by forcing them to grind even further when maxing a character is already a major chore? That was a really dense decision.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The battling needs a complete revamp before I'm interested. It was incredibly dull when I played at launch, and I hated that each Pokemon has only one type weakness. I don't know how many times I watergunned a fire type only to realize I should have been throwing rocks at it.

Beyond that, the interactions between the characters always seemed to be nothing beyond "I love Pokemon! Let's do our best!" levels of Pokemon dialogue. The game really just doesn't have anything interesting about it.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah I uninstalled a month or so ago because they just didn't give enough but I may have to check it out again if I get bored.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, the core gameplay needs to be majorly reworked if they want me back. It's horribly balanced and unrewarding.

Maybe it'll get there, but it's so fundamentally broken that I just don't think it can be saved for me.

Yeah I'm still walking in for my Daily Gems since eventually there will be that Sync Pair(s) I just want to own. But each time I start a match Single or Co-Op, I dread it. The only other gacha I play that rivals such dull combat is Azur Lane. Pokemon Masters simply doesn't feel good to play ever. I can hardly even register its events as "Events". They don't feel like anything, but more painful combat.

On the positive side, I like seeing a high gem count. Keep the freebies coming.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
They need to either completely rebalance the game, or radically change its mechanics. Every single day I log in for the daily bonuses, pick a battle and always quit midway because of how terribly it plays.

It's amazing presentation and likeable writing-fanservice are wasted on that battle system.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I finally deleted this from my phone. I've been grinding away for months and felt heavily invested which is why it was so hard to quit. Throwing a ton of currency at us does NOT make this a better game btw. The level cap was raised and it's a huge grind too hit the new cap. That's not at all what the game needed. The events are notorious for having players complete the same battle 30+ times and there's absolutely nothing fun about that. They aren't changing anything substantial. I was a huge advocate when the game first launched, but I can't support it anymore. It had so much potential but it's horribly designed. Before I deleted it from my phone I pulled on the latest banner with the Dark Type Liepard. I had enough gems for 4 full 10 pulls. I obtained just one 5* unit , the Lycanroc that was in the game at launch. No new units because the devs don't even want to add lower star rating units into the game either. This gatcha is complete trash. For anyone still playing it, good luck. The writings been on the wall for awhile and the upcoming Mewtwo event isn't going to save it. It's just more monotonous grinding.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
This thread was made too early honestly, as it is now at the 6 month mark that they've really added more stuff to get the game more engaging.

Bingo
EMfCwmyXYAMEAO3.jpg

Challenges both weekly and lifetime.

The one time ones give a nice reward and count you achievements in the game retroactively, so you may get progress on them right when you log in if you played at launch but stopped before these were added.

49Bjo6TFGw8uFTK-wyzMK5jKSJQs8maAUKeqhcRZYQg.jpg

Sync Grid
Sync_Grid_Masters.png

Make characters stronger and customize how they play, so you can use your favorites or be viable to complete content if you haven't pulled or weren't around for an event that gave a strong pair of a certain type.

Battle Villa
battle-villa-screenshot---halls-21-to-25-1582840487867.jpg
pokemon-masters-battle-villa-sync-pair-team.png

A gauntlet challenge where each day you choose from 9 units to mix and match for your battle teams against strong opponents, where you and your opponents resources carry over between battles for the day, so you have an additional element of managing health and limited move uses to try and go as far as you can for the day in your attempt to beat all the levels within the time period to get the rewards, which are new abilities for your units to make them even better.

Full explanation from official site

Misc
Of course, quality of life changes, new story content and new characters have all been added since the last post as well. The rewards have increased for all content and some things have been made easier, namely the battles which reward gear so more players can engage with it.

The best Pokemon game of 2019 keeps getting better!
2020 Is making Pokemon Masters worth your time and another look if you bounced off it or heard bad things.

But is the game fun?
The battle system is the same, most improvements have been regarding rewards or progression and goals for doing the battles.

For me personally, in the context of my own expectations for mobile/gatcha games, I get enjoyment enough out of that meta level of progression, and the loop of doing battles for rewards to put into my characters to make them stronger so I can do those same or other battles more efficiently, faster, with guaranteed wins, etc. so I can get more and better rewards more often and repeat.

Truthfully it's a game I set to auto battle and just tap fight again periodically while not using my phone for anything else for hours at a time on my days off, and I know not everyone would describe a game you play like that to be fun or good. But that's up to you to decide, I'm just pointing out that as a game like that, Masters has improved even more since this thread was made.

I haven't got bored of it for long enough to quit outright, and with how the devs have responded to player concerns and have been adding content, I can see myself sticking with the game for as long as it's still up.

Could they improve the experience within each individual battle? Sure. I wouldn't say no if they added the full dual typings, resistances and immunities from the main series to give your unit and move choice some more depth. But it is still a 3v3 ATB battle system with type effectiveness.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed this topic was too early, this game is growing fast and is much MUCH better than where it was even 3 months ago.
A shame it left bad impressions at launch where it mattered the most, but hopefully people will give it a second chance.

And to follow up on that
I'm still login everyday waiting for the game to improve, almost at 30k gems iirc, so I sure hope it'll be worth it.
As long as the end game is still the unbeatable coops, I'm not going to get back to dedicate time on this.
Coop are actually fun now, it's much faster and fair.