• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
what is complicated about rock paper scissors
God forbid thinking that this:
cUC7iXY.png

Gn4czJq.jpg

is a little compliated right? Maybe admit that the games became complicated for some people that don't follow the games as closely as you. gatekeeping at it's worst.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can't criticize a game that sacrifices 20 years of franchise for nostalgia without getting called "gatekeeper", even though these people are the ones celebrating others getting their favorites cut (this includes characters from the show kids actually watch, as they love bringing kids into this for some reason).

I think there's plenty to criticize when nostalgia for a 90's thing is being used as a selling point for a game that is supposed to appeal to everyone.

You can criticize the game all you like if it isn't for you but this has nothing to do with my post. Like I said, point out the person who is supposedly so hypocritical as to call out someone for being disappointed in this despite they themselves being a gatekeeping Genwunner, or else you're just shadowboxing and not actually talking about anyone in here.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Was expecting in the 75-80 MC range, so with it beingt slightly higher then 80 (at the moment) I'm pleasently surprised.

I'm going to quote Reggie: If it isn't fun, why bother?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So Resetera was wrong again!? This isn't the death of Pokémon!!? Who would have thought.
I don't think ResetEra ever collectively met and decreed these would be poorly reviewed games. Everyone knew they would be competent. The question was whether these are the games that long time fans have been waiting for.

Still, these are slightly better reviews than I expected, I was guessing a score of 79.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Right about what I was expecting. The lets go backlash was never going to be represented in review scores.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
cUC7iXY.png

Gn4czJq.jpg

is a little compliated right? Maybe admit that the games became complicated for some people that don't follow the games as closely as you. gatekipping at it's worst.
Like you actually need to understand any of that to beat all of the game's content. Thats just depth for hardcore players, no harm in leaving it in.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can criticize the game all you like if it isn't for you but this has nothing to do with my post. Like I said, point out the person who is supposedly so hypocritical as to call out someone for being disappointed in this despite they themselves being a gatekeeping Genwunner, or else you're just shadowboxing and not actually talking about anyone in here.
Just above you there's a hyperbolic post about the game being "obtuse" (you could nitpick a similar stat formula for Let's Go) or pretending anyone who likes anything that isn't gen 1 is a "gatekeeper", even though gen 1 fans are the only ones that want to exclude content they don't like.

Like you actually need to understand any of that to beat all of the game's content. Thats just depth for hardcore players, no harm in leaving it in.
And Let's Go has hidden stats and formulas as well. lol That post is pretty disingenuous. Pokémon is still basically mash A to win in all recent games.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
All of the reviews read the same: "My nostalgia was very strong, beautiful reimaginings that can be accessible to new players and enjoyed by older fans alike" 8/10
also can't forget that it's a "deep rpg" XD

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

is a little compliated right? Maybe admit that the games became complicated for some people that don't follow the games as closely as you. gatekipping at it's worst.

I don't think that this is a fair post. No one is looking at these calculations when capturing Pokémon. It's just something that certain people are interested in knowing. In addition, Gen 1 had similar stuff and so does Let's Go...

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
cUC7iXY.png

Gn4czJq.jpg

Those are like the worst examples you could've used lol. I'm not going to argue against Pokémon games getting complicated. I think over the years a lot of systems have been mish-mashed together and some trimming would actually improve the experience. But the %rate of capture? c'mon. It's not like you ever have to know the formula and for all we know, the formula in Let's Go could be even more complicated.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
cUC7iXY.png

Gn4czJq.jpg

is a little compliated right? Maybe admit that the games became complicated for some people that don't follow the games as closely as you. gatekeeping at it's worst.
You don't honestly believe that let's go doesn't have complicated formulas like these in its backend as well, do you?

Nov 1, 2017
[Huge dumb pic removed]

Every RPG has some equations under the hood that the player is not expected to know or understand. How is this even relevant?

Here's the in-game description for a Net Ball:
A somewhat different Poké Ball that is more effective when attempting to catch Water- or Bug-type Pokémon.

OH NO. Too complicated! How will it help me catch a Bulbasaur!? Damn those gatekeepers!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just above you there's a hyperbolic post about the game being "obtuse" (you could nitpick a similar stat formula for Let's Go) or pretending anyone who likes anything that isn't gen 1 is a "gatekeeper", even though gen 1 fans are the only ones that want to exclude content they don't like.

So you can't actually veritably prove that they're a hypocritical Genwunner. You just disagree about them thinking it's obtuse. Cool.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a big shakeup with stats caps

Thats a net positive it seems though Im hoping the limits are within reason while allowing your favorite pokemon to be competitive.
That's my main takeaway here. *Any* of the original 151 could be a favorite and could potentially see you through the game.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
The point pic related was to illustrate just how wrong it is to think that people can't find the games that came before as complicated, while also freely critizing the LGPE games as "oversimplified" "The casual audience are not babies!"

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're telling me Reddit and ResetEra are just a vocal minority and that the game is actually good?

Say it aint so!
There was never a consensus about if it was going to be good or not but the bigger issue is that will this affect next years game that's been the main concern and it's still a completely valid concern to have.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of people posting dumbass shit in this thread doesn't mean fans are gatekeeping.

It is specifically for Gen 1 fans in the most important way, the Pokemon.
A couple of people are gatekeeping and acting grand, and that's what other people are mocking.

As for the limited available Pokemon, this game features Alolan variations and even a Gen 7 mythical. It feature mega evolutions that wildly change their designs and even typing. It also features new types from other gens. I imagine Gen 1 purists are not into those either?

Or maybe they chose to focus on Gen 1 because that's the most popular and easily recognizable, which helps them sell this game.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The point pic related was to illustrate just how wrong it is to think that people can't find the games that came before as complicated, while also freely critizing the LGPE games as "oversimplified" "The casual audience are not babies!"
Literally any piece of software is going to look complicated if you break it down into backend formula like that

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Damn the salt is absolutely amazing. So much for the idea it would score in the 60s.

I'm really looking forward to this.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
And of course no one is calling these games out for butchering the gameplay of the series. Why would they when there's nostalgia at play.

I'm just glad that the release of these games puts us one step closer to the announcement of the real main-series games next year.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
This is going to sell a gazzilion units, isn't it? I'm positively surprised by the reviews :)

I'll give it a shot next year, maybe. My end of the year budget will go towards Smash.

PKMNTrainer

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm upset that this full priced title is missing mechanics and Pokemon that the 3DS titles had. I don't think the new features justify the absence of breeding, abilities, held items, 600+ Pokemon, tons of moves, etc. The new and old features shouldn't be mutually exclusive. I also think you can retool the existing mechanics to become more accessible without removing them outright.

That being said, I'm still excited for this game. I don't have to be hardcore fan and dismissive of this experience entirely. At the very least, this is the first and only Pokemon game like this. Being able to see Pokemon in the overworld, experiencing the game co-op with my wife, playing the game on my TV are experiences largely exclusive to this title. I'm excited for these features, and I think reviewers know their readers will be too.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
cUC7iXY.png

Gn4czJq.jpg

Why are you pretending that any of this stuff is player facing? Who cares what the underlying maths is, it's not hard to understand "better ball = higher catch rate" or "use this in the dark for a higher catch rate". This is like saying Super Mario is hard because the jump physics are quite complex under the hood in their calculations.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
What's with fan reaction and this game? Can anyone explain what the fuzz is about?
Never liked Pokemon games so I just don't follow the news.

LGP/LGE are catered towards lapsed Pokemon fans, the more casual Pokemon players, and Pokemon Go players, which result in some simplification in some mechanic (for example they removed Ability and Held Items and you no longer battle Wild Pokemon). The more hardcore fans are not happy about it, with some fearing this will affect future Pokemon titles.

At least that's what I see.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You can't criticize a game that sacrifices 20 years of franchise for nostalgia without getting called "gatekeeper", even though these people are the ones celebrating others getting their favorites cut (this includes characters from the show kids actually watch, as they love bringing kids into this for some reason).

I think there's plenty to criticize when nostalgia for a 90's thing is being used as a selling point for a game that is supposed to appeal to everyone.
Who is celebrating? Fact is this is supposed to be a reimagination of the original games. It's a bit unreasonable to assume every Pokémon will be available from the start. It's a shame you can't trade with older generations but not all generations have been cross compatible before. It also goes both ways. Game Freak catered to lapsed fans with both X/Y and S/M. People complained about that too, which just goes to show you can't please everyone.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018

Of course it's not necessary. But pokémon is kinda bloated right now - it can and will continue to be - but what harm there is to release a non bloated good game? Compare it to each first pokémon games on nintendo consoles (dash, rumble) to see the difference.
They're giving the first dose in RPG form, that's all and that's great.

Oct 29, 2017
Main thing that I think is a shame is not being able to evolve into forms added in later Gens. Not a massive issue but it is a disappointment. Really looking forward to this.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Guys the games are fun and it gave them an additional year to developp gen 8.

It is great for everyone :)

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't expect these high scores so u read a few reviews and watched video reviews and still don't understand why the score is high?

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
I guess I don't frequent review threads much, or at least just stick to threads I'm interested in.

How frequently do we get audiences who are actively disappointed that the score is too high/not critical enough?

I usually (always) see fans getting frustrated at critics for being too critical or nitpicking the game, not the other way around.

Not saying its wrong or anything, but just interesting to see.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who is celebrating? Fact is this is supposed to be a reimagination of the original games. It's a bit unreasonable to assume every Pokémon will be available from the start. It's a shame you can't trade with older generations but not all generations have been cross compatible before. It also goes both ways. Game Freak catered to lapsed fans with both X/Y and S/M. People complained about that too, which just goes to show you can't please everyone.
They could include newer Pokémon in the post game like literally every other remake they've done

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There was never a consensus about if it was going to be good or not but the bigger issue is that will this affect next years game that's been the main concern and it's still a completely valid concern to have.

You haven't seen Reddit if you think this. The "muh pokemon is pandering to casuals let's go will be awful garbage" was circlejerked like mad.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of 8s. I might get this, I still dunno. I really didnt like Go's gameplay but maybe since this is actually in Kanto, I'll come around.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly just upset that gamefreak felt they needed to specifically ignore their biggest fans to cater to a crowd they were already catering to anyways