• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

• Pikachu

Votes: 590 16.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 571 15.7%
  • Your hopes and dreams

Votes: 2,083 57.4%
  • Jmon

Votes: 387 10.7%

• Total voters

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Watch this game get bad reviews and bomb. Of course it will sell, but not as much as the core games.

How many active users does pokemon go have? How many of them will buy this?

Hahahahaha

Oh wait you're serious

Let me laugh even harder

BAWHAHAHAHAHA

I'll avatar bet anyone for a month who thinks this game will even come close to bombing. 20 million people still play pokemon actively. Everything on switch sells way above expectations, even straight ports like Tropical Freeze. The idea that this game won't be massive is just pure nonsense.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how much every generation hasn't changed yet this is the game that sets everyone off because it uses and aspect from GO which many "hardcore Pokémon fans" hate.

To the fan base I say enjoy it for what it is and if you don't like it then hey don't play it, Pokemon yellow was my first ever game so going back to play it in a new way is exciting to me and if I wanted to play a game like the older games I can just pick up my DS and play them or just wait another year.
I would actually feel more positively about the game if it had changed more. But as it is it's a remake of Gen 1 and what's different is lifted from a mobile spin-off. It couldn't be more derivative.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
If only 1% eventually jump in, they already secure 8 million new consumers. This is way too much to pretend it doesn't exist
You're being pretty generous to start the game's potential at the install base. That covers people who redownloaded it once they got new phones or people who picked it up to see what the fuss was about and then never touch it again

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
I still have no idea how I should feel about the removal of random encounters.

On one hand, it's been a staple since the original game, without it there's a sense that there's an element missing to the core game play loop.

On the other hand... I fucking hate random encounters.

And I can't say I feel as sure about it as I was with BOTW upending its own roots when the things it replaced it's series traditions with were brand new systems that facilitated a wholly unique new game play loop. With Let's Go, I feel like I don't know enough about it yet to know if removing them will have been for the best.

We'll see.

I don't mind the random encounters per se, I mean there is no element of surprise anyhow in this game as we've seen the Pokémon for over twenty years now.

The lack of battling wild Pokémon is crazy though. That catching mechanic is not as enticing in a 60$ console game as in a f2p smartphone game. Curious to see what GF has done to make the game interesting to play five routes in.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how much every generation hasn't changed yet this is the game that sets everyone off because it uses and aspect from GO which many "hardcore Pokémon fans" hate.

To the fan base I say enjoy it for what it is and if you don't like it then hey don't play it, Pokemon yellow was my first ever game so going back to play it in a new way is exciting to me and if I wanted to play a game like the older games I can just pick up my DS and play them or just wait another year.

Same, this is exactly how I'm seeing it aswell. I'll be honest, if these would be the only Pokémon for Switch I would be pretty mad and likely wouldn't have bought them but knowing I get what I want in 2019? I'll take that appetizer and enjoy the main-dish in 2019 no problem.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
It shows their stats as a whole. As in (completely made up numbers) a Dragonite with 152 HP, 122 attack, 97 defence, 118 sp. atk, 92 sp. def, 104 speed, would show a CP of 2498.

So yeah if you saw two wild Pikachu at the same level, one could be 372 CP and one could be 375, which would be caused by a difference in IVs (or natures if they're in this, as different stats have different CP weightings in GO).

Basically yes it's a mix of pokemon level + Iv's and the max CP you can encounter a pokemon in the wild is capped by your trainer level with some modifiers depending on the weather.
It's also used as a stamina unit in gyms which determines how many losses your mon can take before getting kicked and it decays over time the longer it is in a gym.

Ok thanks for explaining it. Don't like the sound of thengym battle system though, hopefully its still traditional in this game.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Anybody expecting anything beyond a more polished and better looking 3DS game on Switch is living in illusion land... it was never going to be anything more than that.

no Random battles makes me jump out... but Battling online with other players is good.

This is sell immensely just because it's a new Pokemon game on the Switch, but will be forgotten as soon as the next game gets shown to exist. Simplified battling will turn people away.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
Do you honestly think those two, popular as they might be, can even compare to the likes of Pikachu/Eevee/Charizard/Blastoise/Mewtwo (and probably 20 more from Gen 1).

well, yeah

not only has lucario been in smash bros for the past 2 games (and will likely be in the next game), he has his own movie and has been relevant to the story as recently as gen 6

obviously he doesn't compare to pikachu, who is the series' mascot, but I'd say that, at least among kids, he rivals the popularity of the others you mentioned

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
What is up with the boxart btw? They don't look finalised at all, which is strange for Pokémon game announcements.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
These would have been great if, in addition to the 151, they would have added a handful of "Kantonian" forms for Pokémon from other regions and some cut pokémon from Red/Blue initial concepts, like Gorochu.
Oh well, coop seems fun...I guess?

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
How big is Game Freak now?

Who is directing these games?

Are we not going to get remakes anymore?

Deleted member 26462

User requested account closure
Oct 30, 2017
Hahahahaha

Oh wait you're serious

Let me laugh even harder

BAWHAHAHAHAHA

I'll avatar bet anyone for a month who thinks this game will even come close to bombing. 20 million people still play pokemon actively. Everything on switch sells way above expectations, even straight ports like Tropical Freeze. The idea that this game won't be massive is just pure nonsense.

It will sell a lot, but It will bomb in reviews...i guarantee It, and probably sales might be affected due to this in comparison to other entries.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
So, I see Fosko is indeed finding loopholes. Disappointing. I was hoping he would own up to it after all this time. Oh well.
I admit I was wrong about the leakers being completely wrong, but my original comment about not having the core franchise this year remains true (although they try to sell let's go as a new core branch, but we all know what we're talking about). Everyone told me it was going to be mainline, and it isn't. But it exists, so, I guess, nobody wins completely.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch this game get bad reviews and bomb. Of course it will sell, but not as much as the core games.

How many active users does pokemon go have? How many of them will buy this?
I genuinely can't believe how fucking garbage the posts in this thread are. No, the reviews won't be terrible and the game will do the usual 12 million remakes do (at the very least) with the sky as the limit.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
well, yeah

not only has lucario been in smash bros for the past 2 games (and will likely be in the next game), he has his own movie and has been relevant to the story as recently as gen 6

obviously he doesn't compare to pikachu, who is the series' mascot, but I'd say that, at least among kids, he rivals the popularity of the others you mentioned
Most kids have never played Smash, they don't own a 3DS, and they haven't played any pokemon games either.
Most kids play almost exclusively on their ipads or iphones. Guess what pokemons they have been encountering there.

TriGen

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone that hasn't watched the conference on the Pokémon YT channel definetly should as certain things are said clearly that people are wondering about. For example they specify the 2019 game as a Switch exclusive and they refer to Let's Go as mainline Pokémon RPGs a whole bunch of times. The games seemed more clearly explained after watching the conference compared to what people were live tweeting.

Anyway I'm excited by what I saw in the conference and it's actually got me reenergized for Pokémon. I skipped Sun and Moon and never thought I'd buy a 3DS game ever again but I might pick up a copy of USUM today to get a Pokémon fix. So if Let's Go is meant to help bring back lapsed fans, it looks like it's working before it even released.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Are we not going to get remakes anymore?
Probably depends on how well these games do and if they make follow-ups to them.

I don't see them making traditional remakes and also remaking regions from older games for the Lets Go games. At the very least not with the frequency that we've been getting remakes at up until now.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is a chance for the throw to fail. Go's catching system has some skill involved: you have to get the timing of the circle in front of the Pokémon and avoid their short "movement" animations. Better timing and accuracy lead to increased captured chance.
Yeah, I play Go and that's why I'm concerned. Either it's going to be weighted for you to fail and use a lot of pokeballs and you'll run into the problem of how you accumulate more( which in a game with shops isn't a particularly engaging scenario considering it's walk to the shop, spend buckets of in game money, press the "throw pokeball" button until the Pokémon is caught) or be so easy that you might as well just capture the Pokémon when you touch it on the field. I'm just having trouble invisioning how it's all going to work. I have faith in TPCi in that regard if nothing else but I'm just honestly confused about it. I'm sure we'll get more details at some Point that will either alleviate people's concerns or show people that it's 100% not for them.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Not for me I'm afraid. I'll be waiting for a mainline game. I guess this games success will determine the path future Pokemons will take. It makes me a little worried. Looks like it could be fun for fans of the mobile game.

Bizu

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo - BR
I'm totally okay with the game. A lot of features, the design look's okay too. (except for the trainers...c'mon they could put some effort there, right?).

The way that found pokémon was a question of time. Even in my childhood I thought was weird a giant pokémon be found in a grass smaller then my knees.

The only thing that worry me is about the transfer with Pokémon GO. This can really difficult to balance. Imagine starting a adventure with a Mew, Zapdos, Moltres, or wtvr. They will reduce their CP (or level)? Starting at level 5? Would be just in the park but not playable?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
well, yeah

"At least among kids"

Pokemon was a cultural phenomenon in gen 1, and Go showed that those people that have dropped off the series still really do care about those first creatures.

If you look at the popularity as a whole, Lucario does not come close to a dozen or more gen 1 Pokemon.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, not really interested in a Premium Pokemon Go experience.

Wake me up when SMT V or Pokemon 2019 arrives.