Votes: 607 27.9%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 1,079 49.6%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 488 22.4%

• Total voters

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
You know what can disappear and never come back? Stealth Rock.

I hate that shit. It made plenty of typings that already sucked defensively have an even harder time. Good thing they changed the mechanic in this game.
Couldn't agree more. All it did was fuck flying and ice types over more than they already were. Stealth Rocks were a mistake, that this game fixed.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
This game feels so halfbaked in a lot of ways. I'm in the Crimson Mirelands and the core combat and capture is fun but everything else isn't.

I think it's a step in the right direction at least. Game freak doing something new instead of the same thing for the past 20 years. A sequel with more polish and better effort in the art direction would go a long way alone.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
What is the general mischief theme, the one that first appears when meeting the tribe leaders, based on? Is it just a remixed DPPT or is it something else? it's very familiar.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
15th shiny is Qwilfish
o2DAqHG.jpg

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
You know what can disappear and never come back? Stealth Rock.

I hate that shit. It made plenty of typings that already sucked defensively have an even harder time. Good thing they changed the mechanic in this game.
I strongly suspect it'll go back to the way it was tbh. It was changed out of necessity, 95% of combat in this game is against wild pokemon where the usual effect of stealth rock is functionally useless.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I think it's a step in the right direction at least. Game freak doing something new instead of the same thing for the past 20 years. A sequel with more polish and better effort in the art direction would go a long way alone.
yeah, the simplified battle mechanics and emphasis on catching kind of hits me the same way as let's go did, testing the waters for new ideas with old faces and places

it's so close to being the full mainline title i want, it just needs the battle system fleshed out and a more traditional rpg progression to go with it

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Question about grit items:

Is it a case of, the earlier you use them, the more stat boosts you'll get? Or does it just automatically give you a big boost if you up your effort levels when your Pokemon is already at a high level?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

Is it a case of, the earlier you use them, the more stat boosts you'll get? Or does it just automatically give you a big boost if you up your effort levels when your Pokemon is already at a high level?
as far as i'm aware your stats are immediately recalculated after you use it, so it doesn't make a difference when you apply the items

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020

I think it doesn't change either way. You can use it freely when you wish.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
yeah, the simplified battle mechanics and emphasis on catching kind of hits me the same way as let's go did, testing the waters for new ideas with old faces and places

it's so close to being the full mainline title i want, it just needs the battle system fleshed out and a more traditional rpg progression to go with it

Exactly. This game has so much going for it with concepts and good ideas. They just need proper execution and a higher budget (which they have no excuse in that department when it's literally the most valuable franchise in all of gaming). If they can do more work with a better battle system, fleshed out research and questing mechanics, making the world more active instead of a dead looking wasteland, an art style that matches Breath of the Wild, then this game could become truly special.

They just have to, you know…put more effort. Also a story that doesn't feel like it's been written by the CEO's 5 year old son would go a long way as well. I'm not expecting King Leer or anything close, just not total garbage writing is all. "But it's for kids" should never be the excuse when there has been plenty media for kids with great writing.

Jan 9, 2018
You got three outbreaks at the same time? I just got my first one last night (I just got to the third area), so maybe this is commonplace and I just don't know it yet.

Wait... seriously? I don't have to travel back to a base camp every time I get full on items?
no, you still need to be in the base camp (or the city) to do that, is just that, instead of tap A in an object, and then chose move all and then tap A again, you can tap X and will transfer the whole stack to the box. Sorry if it was confusing wording.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Making good progress on Pokedex and side quests. I'm trying not to look some things up but there are certain things I still haven't been able to figure out. Getting more tempted though lol. Maybe once I start hitting dead ends.

I can also see why it took a long time for someone to actually get everything.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
In games with exp share systems you should be catching, rotating and raising lots of Pokemon, not sticking to a team of 6.
I don't like playing like that. Rotating means not getting attached to anything. Not rotating means being ridiculously overleved (which to be fair is not as big of a deal in Legends apparently, except for trainer battles). If only there was a toggle that allowed you to rotate Pokemon and me to stick with a party of 6 without overlevelling... What a concept.

While I still don't like the battle system, I've warmed up to it after getting all the party members I wanted. The issue with going relatively blind is not realizing half the mons I wanted in my party would be obtainable only in the fourth area. Oof

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Just started. Why the fuck does this need to be an isekai? Lmao

Anyway, the performance is terrible as expected from Game Freak. Interested to see what mechanics and fun is to be had anyway.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
As an OG Pokemon fan who has long since abandoned the franchise, I'm honestly shocked just how goddamn fun this game is. Like I'm 5 hours in, and so far all of the new mechanics seem really well thought out.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
As an OG Pokemon who has long since abandoned the franchise, I'm honestly shocked just how goddamn fun this game is. Like I'm 5 hours in, and so far all of the new mechanics seem really well thought out.
Same here. I'm so surprised to not only be playing but heavily enjoying a Pokemon game for the first time since Sapphire/Ruby. Feels like they finally elevated the franchise.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Did I imagine this or did the town theme change after you complete the second area?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As an OG Pokemon fan who has long since abandoned the franchise, I'm honestly shocked just how goddamn fun this game is. Like I'm 5 hours in, and so far all of the new mechanics seem really well thought out.
Same (except for the lapsed fan stuff), legit shook, 5 hours in and I'm still discovering stuff in just the first area. It's a blast. I love how it strikes the balance between comfy play and "literally everything is trying to kill you"

erraticstatic

Jan 22, 2022
What team of 6 is everyone rocking?

I've currently got Scizor, Pikachu, Munchlax, Umbreon, Quilava and Psyduck.

Just got to the third area.

Not sure how I feel about it tbh.
I have Typhlosion, Raichu, Kleavor, Porygon-2, Gyarados, and Torterra. I just made it past the fourth area. I have a bit of a rock/ground problem, but I have three of my team members built as tanks so, its not awful. Also, it's pretty fun looking at how Porygon interacts with the backdrop of ancient Sinnoh. I would have kept him unevolved, just for that extra visual dissonance, but I figured I might as well get the dex entries of the evolutions while I wade through the main story.
Went into my first Space-Time Distortion, shit was intense.
They're great, when they spawn anything. I haven't gotten anything unique from the rifts, Pokemon or items, for a bit now. It just felt like there was a bubble effect over where things normally spawned. Maybe I'm just unlucky when it comes to it.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
They're great, when they spawn anything. I haven't gotten anything unique from the rifts, Pokemon or items, for a bit now. It just felt like there was a bubble effect over where things normally spawned. Maybe I'm just unlucky when it comes to it.
I just went into my first one and was wondering what the point was. Nothing was different Lol, ran around it like five times. It wasn't very big, but it was only just normal pokemon, the regular spawns too

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Am I just stupid? I cannot for the life of me figure out what the Pokemon with 3 leaves on it's head in the Mirelands area is for a quest. I tried Roselia and that wasn't it, thinking maybe they counted the 3 spines as leaves for some reason.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
What team of 6 is everyone rocking?

I've currently got Scizor, Pikachu, Munchlax, Umbreon, Quilava and Psyduck.

Just got to the third area.

Not sure how I feel about it tbh.
In the middle of the third area and I have Samurott, Sliggoo, Togekiss, Luxray, Ursaring, and Lilligant. Pretty happy with it but will change it up soon.

Am I just stupid? I cannot for the life of me figure out what the Pokemon with 3 leaves on it's head in the Mirelands area is for a quest. I tried Roselia and that wasn't it, thinking maybe they counted the 3 spines as leaves for some reason.
If you want the answer, it's Petilil.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I just went into my first one and was wondering what the point was. Nothing was different Lol, ran around it like five times. It wasn't very big, but it was only just normal pokemon, the regular spawns too
It sounds like the rift hadn't formed yet. It usually says one is forming, and the edge of it will still be clear, still with normal Pokemon. Then it really starts up and the wall turns purple and you see all kinds of crazy shit.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
In the middle of the third area and I have Samurott, Sliggoo, Togekiss, Luxray, Ursaring, and Lilligant. Pretty happy with it but will change it up soon.

If you want the answer, it's Petilili.
I haven't even found that.. I guess I'll look around until I do.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hit credits, dont know if il grind out a ton of post game stuff, lack of multiplayer/competitively kinda saps my motivation. I think this is a good template, bring over the mainline's games more advenced battle system and compeditive play, along with more trainer battles and dongens and you got my dream pokemon game.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Credits just rolled. 20 hours, the most time I've spent with a pokemon game in a decade and it felt like it flew by.

Man I have feelings. This game is in so ways such a bright light, a sign that maybe pokemon can really really great again. It's so so so rough around the edges. It frequently looks like shit. Gamefreak continues to barely animate npcs. There is no voice acting or even vocalization sfx. All the battle system aspects and mechanics of prior games have been stripped out. There are still mostly no dungeons (though the handful that are there show how great a greater focus on them could be!). The boss fights are a bit weird, even if I quite like them.

And man, as a fan of Diamond/Pearl (well, mostly Platinum), I was gutted by the BDSP announcement. It felt like one of my favorite gens was getting the short end of the stick. In retrospect, I am so so glad that gen 4 was the gen that GF decided to do something truly evolutionary with the franchise. I loved the focus that DP gave to myth and tradition -- for largely the same reason I liked G/S back in the day, and to be able to live a bit more in that world and see what transpired was just so spectacular. If we had got the DP in Sw/Sh style, there would be none of this, none of this excitement for what the future might hold and in some ways the best of both worlds. In a way it feels like FF7 remake. And heck, it seems that BDSP didn't even turn out that bad, sneaking in a bevy of postgame content and some wild superbosses. It wish that GF took the opportunity to tie it more in with PLA but I digress.

This is without a doubt the most personal narrative that GF has managed to craft (some spinoffs feel close but most of them weren't done by GF iirc). The severe reduction in scope allows the world and its character to take center stage. And while some of the dialogue can get a bit long winded and repetitive (though a far step better than Sun/Moon), it's all the small touches that make it work. Jubilife is more detailed than first glance would suggest. As you do requests dialogue of NPCs changes, all the NPCs are named, pokemon you bring back persist, there are little through lines here and there, and it all feeds into a sense of place that Pokemon has always struggled with since the pivot to a more linear game since gen 7 especially. It's only one town, but I remember more about it than any of the soulless facades that Sword/Shield offered. For the first time since GF eschewed convoluted, circuitous map design, this finally feels like a legit Pokemon world.

The battle system changes and general increase in difficulty is so very welcome. It doesn't all work, it can feel a bit unpredictable at times, but it feels like some more balanced version of this -- or at least the ways in which it forces players to engage with systems -- is the future. Status modifiers and stat boosts are finally useful. Item usage is risky. Wild pokemon are threatening. But the game rewards you quickly for exploring, finding new creatures and alphas, finding more resources, so on and so forth. You have to think a bit about your move usage, style usage etc. as wrong choices can be punished quickly. Enemies and even wild mons have moves to counter common type weaknesses. This whole kind of design choice, combined with the remixed movesets in BDSP (poison jab garchomp jesus), makes me wonder whether GF has finally accepted that maybe a bit more challenge in their games is good.

And the game just feels so goddamn good to play. The movement is so slick. The basculegion double jump into bullet time never gets old. The momentum that just general movement has. The way in which the world opens up as you get more traversal abilities. Fuck even the sprint feels great (once you remap it from damn click stick jfc). If you told me that the developer who made what felt like some of the most nothing and serviceable 3d movement in sword and shield was going to make something that has a similar smoothness of gamefeel as, say, MGSV (well, not quite) or BotW I'd say you had lost your damn mind.

The music is spectacular. Nothing more really needs to be said. It remixes DP in clever and inventive ways and sneaks little musical references into the game all over the place.

And from what I gather there is a meaty post game. A postgame in Pokemon, what is this 2010?

But all in all the game feels like it is at once the best possible love letter to DP, while still being a crazy evolution of the franchise, warts and all. For the first time in a decade I'm actually unreservedly optimistic about the future of the games and being a pokemon fan doesn't feel like suffering.

Taken entirely on it's own merits it feels like a 7, 7.5/10.

But as a fan of DP, as someone who just felt beaten down by getting my hopes up for a return to form for Pokemon for basically all my adult life, this is a 10 for me.

Thank you Gamefreak, for all your silly toys.

And sorry if this seems a bit too emotional or whatnot. I never thought I'd be spending all day at work thinking about a Pokemon game. Haven't done that really since G/S.

Did I imagine this or did the town theme change after you complete the second area?

No you didn't. The town has actually 3 themes that each change after certain events.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Credits just rolled. 20 hours, the most time I've spent with a pokemon game in a decade and it felt like it flew by.

Man I have feelings. This game is in so ways such a bright light, a sign that maybe pokemon can really really great again. It's so so so rough around the edges. It frequently looks like shit. Gamefreak continues to barely animate npcs. There is no voice acting or even vocalization sfx. All the battle system aspects and mechanics of prior games have been stripped out. There are still mostly no dungeons (though the handful that are there show how great a greater focus on them could be!). The boss fights are a bit weird, even if I quite like them.

And man, as a fan of Diamond/Pearl (well, mostly Platinum), I was gutted by the BDSP announcement. It felt like one of my favorite gens was getting the short end of the stick. In retrospect, I am so so glad that gen 4 was the gen that GF decided to do something truly evolutionary with the franchise. I loved the focus that DP gave to myth and tradition -- for largely the same reason I liked G/S back in the day, and to be able to live a bit more in that world and see what transpired was just so spectacular. If we had got the DP in Sw/Sh style, there would be none of this, none of this excitement for what the future might hold and in some ways the best of both worlds. In a way it feels like FF7 remake. And heck, it seems that BDSP didn't even turn out that bad, sneaking in a bevy of postgame content and some wild superbosses. It wish that GF took the opportunity to tie it more in with PLA but I digress.

This is without a doubt the most personal narrative that GF has managed to craft (some spinoffs feel close but most of them weren't done by GF iirc). The severe reduction in scope allows the world and its character to take center stage. And while some of the dialogue can get a bit long winded and repetitive (though a far step better than Sun/Moon), it's all the small touches that make it work. Jubilife is more detailed than first glance would suggest. As you do requests dialogue of NPCs changes, all the NPCs are named, pokemon you bring back persist, there are little through lines here and there, and it all feeds into a sense of place that Pokemon has always struggled with since the pivot to a more linear game since gen 7 especially. It's only one town, but I remember more about it than any of the soulless facades that Sword/Shield offered. For the first time since GF eschewed convoluted, circuitous map design, this finally feels like a legit Pokemon world.

The battle system changes and general increase in difficulty is so very welcome. It doesn't all work, it can feel a bit unpredictable at times, but it feels like some more balanced version of this -- or at least the ways in which it forces players to engage with systems -- is the future. Status modifiers and stat boosts are finally useful. Item usage is risky. Wild pokemon are threatening. But the game rewards you quickly for exploring, finding new creatures and alphas, finding more resources, so on and so forth. You have to think a bit about your move usage, style usage etc. as wrong choices can be punished quickly. Enemies and even wild mons have moves to counter common type weaknesses. This whole kind of design choice, combined with the remixed movesets in BDSP (poison jab garchomp jesus), makes me wonder whether GF has finally accepted that maybe a bit more challenge in their games is good.

And the game just feels so goddamn good to play. The movement is so slick. The basculegion double jump into bullet time never gets old. The momentum that just general movement has. The way in which the world opens up as you get more traversal abilities. Fuck even the sprint feels great (once you remap it from damn click stick jfc). If you told me that the developer who made what felt like some of the most nothing and serviceable 3d movement in sword and shield was going to make something that has a similar smoothness of gamefeel as, say, MGSV (well, not quite) or BotW I'd say you had lost your damn mind.

The music is spectacular. Nothing more really needs to be said. It remixes DP in clever and inventive ways and sneaks little musical references into the game all over the place.

And from what I gather there is a meaty post game. A postgame in Pokemon, what is this 2010?

But all in all the game feels like it is at once the best possible love letter to DP, while still being a crazy evolution of the franchise, warts and all. For the first time in a decade I'm actually unreservedly optimistic about the future of the games and being a pokemon fan doesn't feel like suffering.

Taken entirely on it's own merits it feels like a 7, 7.5/10.

But as a fan of DP, as someone who just felt beaten down by getting my hopes up for a return to form for Pokemon for basically all my adult life, this is a 10 for me.

Thank you Gamefreak, for all your silly toys.

And sorry if this seems a bit too emotional or whatnot. I never thought I'd be spending all day at work thinking about a Pokemon game. Haven't done that really since G/S.

No you didn't. The town has actually 3 themes that each change after certain events.
they should 100% use this game as a template, but yeah I miss the compeditive multiplayer stuff, yeah yeah im a extreme minority on this fourm, but I hit credits and dont much feel like doing the post game stuff without it lol.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Man I feel like I'm moving through the game so slow. Most of my team is almost level 30 and I just unlocked the second area. Still haven't even gone because I wanted to fully scope out the first area before moving on.

Having a ton of fun though. Encountered my first rift and boy was it squeaky bum time without any revives.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Pokémon with three leaves on its head, lives in the mirelands. But won't take roselia?? What's she want?

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
they should 100% use this game as a template, but yeah I miss the compeditive multiplayer stuff, yeah yeah im a extreme minority on this fourm, but I hit credits and dont much feel like doing the post game stuff without it lol.
I'm not going to try convince you that the lack of competitive multiplayer is a good thing, but seriously give the post-game a shot. It's surpassed my expectations after already loving the base game.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

Did you wait for the actual rifts to appear? I have to wait inside the bubble for a few minutes, thinking I might be doing something wrong, but then the actual rift appears with thunder and shit and you couldn't walk three steps without three very aggressive Pokemon appearing in front of you.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Should be asleep. But these last two hours were something else!! Hit a magby breakout and got my first shiny on my way to roll credits. What a game. Can't wait to start finishing the dex tomorrow.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Did you wait for the actual rifts to appear? I have to wait inside the bubble for a few minutes, thinking I might be doing something wrong, but then the actual rift appears with thunder and shit and you couldn't walk three steps without three very aggressive Pokemon appearing in front of you.

Yeah, you have to wait for the effect to actually happen and then you'll definitely know it's happening. It sorta makes sense why it takes a while to actually start doing things like that - you're notified about it/it's on your map no matter how far away you are from it, so it's giving you time to get over there before it gets started. But it does really feel like it should speed things up once you're inside the bubble.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So what the deal with random alphas? Do they only start showing up after clear the first area?

While I was slowly working my way through the first map, I didn't see any at all. After beating Kleavor, I found like five of them over the course of like two hours. Was that a coincidence?