EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
So....any substantive argument to back up your original claim? Or willingness to debate the merits of the price increase versus what we're getting?

....No?

Because even after you tried to 'clarify' with this

your original post certainly doesn't engender any discussion.

Your original comment first stated 'complaining about the price is silly'.

You then followed up with 'I don't have an opinion I'm willing to share on the price vs feature set, but I can still engage in discussion', and basically tried to say that '200%' is more dramatic than 5 -> 16 dollars?

(which, while arguably true, doesn't at all change the actual numbers despite you saying that it does - and meanwhile, your claiming that this is 'overblown' is both subjective and dismissive)

So what, exactly, would you like to discuss regarding the price?
I honestly wasn't trying to discuss anything except how I thought people were being dramatic and how one aspect of their price increase argument was weak as a result of the dramatization. I made a comment and kept being quoted because I didn't say anything more than my initial thoughts on one single argument in a complex discussion. I don't think there should even be a price for Pokémon home lol.

edit: and I think the price increase is arbitrary, but I still think 16$ per year in a vacuum isn't expensive.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wasn't trying to discuss anything except how I thought people were being dramatic and how one aspect of their price increase argument was weak as a result of the dramatization. I made a comment and kept being quoted because I didn't say anything more than my initial thoughts on one single argument in a complex discussion. I don't think there should even be a price for Pokémon home lol.

Ok...but if people are being dramatic, as long as they're not taking said 'dramatics' and using it to throw shit at Masuda's twitter or what have you....so what?

I don't personally see how saying a 200% increase vs 5 -> 16 dollars somehow weakens the underlying argument of price vs features....because said underlying argument is that the price increase isn't justified by the lack of new features that haven't been IN games before.

The only 'new' thing being offered in home, aside from the 'increase' in GTS slots and home going from 3000 to 6000 (neither of which is all that good, subjectively) is the offloading of GTS and trading into smartphones - otherwise home seems to be largely the same as bank, save for the IV judge (which is already in shield)

edit: and I think the price increase is arbitrary, but I still think 16$ per year in a vacuum isn't expensive.

....How is this in 'a vacuum', though? There's direct lines of comparison with the previous service GF offered, and using that as a basis for this one.

In the grand scheme of how much an average adult in the US makes it's not gonna break the bank, but then you get back into the argument of this being a series primarily made for children - often who don't have as much disposable income.

To be fair, people using this are far more likely to be adults...but then you get back to the sentiment of GF milking the hardcore.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Or, I mean, you could spend the $3 for the first month, take advantage of the free month Pokemon Bank is going to have, empty your Pokemon into Home, and don't spend on another month until you need the actual non-free services?

It's only $16 if you want the year, but if you're not going to be constantly adding Pokemon to Home, then you probably don't need a year long subscription.

Stop being reasonable smh 😤

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Considering that they were talking about being able to move 30 Pokémon on the free plan, I think it's safe to assume it means that Home is working with Boxes à 30 Pokémon, just like basically any Mainline Pokémon game.

That would mean that the 1st of the 200 Boxes is free to use for anyone.

That's not impossible to work with for those who don't want to pay the 16 Bucks for a year.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Considering that they were talking about being able to move 30 Pokémon on the free plan, I think it's safe to assume it means that Home is working with Boxes à 30 Pokémon, just like basically any Mainline Pokémon game.

Who knows, there isn't an image that actually specifies that's how the storage looks or if it's a particular view for one of the features (trading, Pokédex, judging)

p08_03.jpg

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Okay but get this-- A YEAR AGO paying two additional dollars would give you the exact same functionality for the ENTIRE YEAR that was more streamlined, had GTS (because it was in the base game) gave you BP and mystery gift items.

My God this handwaving and selective info is baffling. You are paying x3 more for the SAME features.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Okay but get this-- A YEAR AGO paying two additional dollars would give you the exact same functionality for the ENTIRE YEAR that was more streamlined, had GTS (because it was in the base game) gave you BP and mystery gift items.

My God this handwaving and selective info is baffling. You are paying x3 more for the SAME features.
I don't agree with the price, but it's obviously not the same the Bank.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Or, I mean, you could spend the $3 for the first month, take advantage of the free month Pokemon Bank is going to have, empty your Pokemon into Home, and don't spend on another month until you need the actual non-free services?

It's only $16 if you want the year, but if you're not going to be constantly adding Pokemon to Home, then you probably don't need a year long subscription.
Uh, you can't. Home has 30 free Pokemon slots, but Sword and Shield will have ~250 Pokemon missing after the DLC. If you want to transfer your Pokemon from a previous, you are almost certainly going to have to pay the full subscription.

See why Dexit is an issue?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, you can't. Home has 30 free Pokemon slots, but Sword and Shield will have ~250 Pokemon missing after the DLC. If you want to transfer your Pokemon from a previous, you are almost certainly going to have to pay the full subscription.

He means you can pay for one month of subscription, move all your Pokemon to Home and then let it lapse. Retrieve them later once SwSh has been patched.
Which is likely to be possible, since that's how Bank works. You can still withdraw your Pokemon with a lapsed subscription.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

For the scenario he described you can just put your Pokemon in Bank and transfer them Pokemon 30 at a time if your goal is to pay for a single month.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
He means you can pay for one month of subscription, move all your Pokemon to Home and then let it lapse. Retrieve them later once SwSh has been patched.
Which is likely to be possible, since that's how Bank works. You can still withdraw your Pokemon with a lapsed subscription.
For the scenario he described you can just put your Pokemon in Bank and transfer them Pokemon 30 at a time if your goal is to pay for a single month.
The problem is that if Bank is any indication, chances are that your Pokemon will get deleted without a subscription. If you want to transfer your shinies to a Gen 8 game, then the risk of having said shinies get deleted is far too high to simply let your subscription lapse - hence, you have to pay for the subscription.

Heaps of people saw this exact situation coming the moment Dexit was announced.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that if Bank is any indication, chances are that your Pokemon will get deleted without a subscription. If you want to transfer your shinies to a Gen 8 game, then the risk of having said shinies get deleted is far too high to simply let your subscription lapse - hence, you have to pay for the subscription.

Are you sure about that? Because I haven't subscribed to Bank in years and none of my Pokemon got deleted.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

People have gone years with lapsed Bank subs without their Pokemon being wiped.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's like, it doesn't even make sense to delete the Pokemon of lapsed subscriptions. Nothing could make anyone less likely to pay for it than the fear of losing all your stuff because you forgot to renew. Why risk it?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's like, it doesn't even make sense to delete the Pokemon of lapsed subscriptions. Nothing could make anyone less likely to pay for it than the fear of losing all your stuff because you forgot to renew. Why risk it?
They outright said that lapsed subs would be at risk of losing their Pokemon after some time past, but I don't know if that was just a precaution in case something happened or what.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
People have gone years with lapsed Bank subs without their Pokemon being wiped.
Are you sure about that? Because I haven't subscribed to Bank in years and none of my Pokemon got deleted.
I myself have had my shiny Milotic from ORAS get deleted four or so months after my subscription lapsed.

People have gone years without their Pokemon being deleted. That doesn't change the fact that there are accounts everywhere of people having their Pokemon deleted with a couple months of their subscription ending.

Like I said, letting your subscription lapse is a tremendous risk, and one that is far too high if the Pokemon you want to transfer are particularly valuable (i.e. starters, shinies) - hence why the subscription is necessary if you want to transfer your old Pokemon to the Gen 8 games.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Speaking of lapsed subs, I'm wondering if they fixed that auto renew thing in Home. I actually let my PokeBank sub lapse for about half a year mainly because I forgot the end date and the damn app doesn't have an auto renew option.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
AU$25/year sounds pretty expensive when a Switch Online isn't even AU$8/year with max number of members on the family plan.

IMO this should've been a free perk of Switch Online, or at the very least should have a similar family plan. We've got five people playing Pokémon in my family, I sure aren't paying AU$125 all up to get the premium service for everyone.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo, uh... /steps warily...

What are the odds that Home will somehow finally let me move the USUM-specific Totem Pokemon and Ultra Necrozma forms off the games they're stuck in?

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
No one's forcing you to pay for a full year or for multiple people. Just keep paying for bank if you're just going to use Home the same way. Or what's the problem?

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Soooo, uh... /steps warily...

What are the odds that Home will somehow finally let me move the USUM-specific Totem Pokemon and Ultra Necrozma forms off the games they're stuck in?

Except for Ultra Necrozma, I think the other forms are already coded in SwSh, so even if they aren't transferrable trhough Bank/Home they can still be obtained.

Edit: after a second read I think you're talking only about Ultra Necrozma, but there aren't multiple "forms" it's just one Ultra Necrozma, and the other ones are Dusk Mane Necrozma and Dawn Wings Necrozma (which are in SwSh even before the DLC)

Edit #2: After a final read I think "forms" refers to the Totems AND Ultra Necrozma lol so forget about all this lol

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Except for Ultra Necrozma, I think the other forms are already coded in SwSh, so even if they aren't transferrable trhough Bank/Home they can still be obtained.

I just finally finished my fourth run (Sun and Moon when they came out, US/UM a few days ago) and got my 200th totem sticker. I really hope the game-locked Totems at least are transferable. 7 of what, 11(?) already are. Can't be THAT hard to allow the remaining four...

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I just finally finished my fourth run (Sun and Moon when they came out, US/UM a few days ago) and got my 200th totem sticker. I really hope the game-locked Totems at least are transferable. 7 of what, 11(?) already are. Can't be THAT hard to allow the remaining four...

I suppose there's gonna be some kind of update for Bank to be able to communicate with HOME, however that's gonna work, so it SHOULD be possible to add this update. However I see it very unlikely, if what they want is having to deal with the least amount of Pokémon / forms possible

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose there's gonna be some kind of update for Bank to be able to communicate with HOME, however that's gonna work, so it SHOULD be possible to add this update. However I see it very unlikely, if what they want is having to deal with the least amount of Pokémon / forms possible

I fear you're right.
And hypothetically, it's possible that there'll be no Pokemon Bank update at all.
They may just make it so that Home can communicate with Bank's servers for one-way transfers. Same NNIDs to authenticate.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
The next shitty move from them would be to cease Bank in the next few months, so if you have Pokemon in the 3ds games or you pay for Home or they will be forever locked to the 3ds.

This is really the next question, how long will Pokemon Bank stay active for? My gut says they'll keep it going for at least a year, but I guess we don't really have any idea.

Cieviz

Jan 11, 2018
Now I get why there aren't all the Pokemon in Sword and Shield:
Otherwise prople like me would pay Home just for one month and transfer all the Pokemon in Sword/Shield games and then let the sub expire...

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
there is a rumoured Nintendo Direct in Feb , exact date could be formally announced with a promo video
possibly some exclusive pokemon if you sub 1 year ( they previously did it with bank )

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

Yeah but you can't have more than 30 Pokemon in Home without a subscription. That's the biggest issue for me. Imo they should have a very cheap sub like 5$ a year just for keeping your Pokemon and then have the higher sub for the extra stuff like GTS.

megadarve

Oct 27, 2017
As long as past 30 are preserved after the subscription expires, and can be restored with subscription, it is pretty good value. I believe someone mentioned it did here but not sure what their source was.

With friend trade, one could potentially set up multiple free accounts and trade between them for safe-keeping though too right?

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah but you can't have more than 30 Pokemon in Home without a subscription. That's the biggest issue for me. Imo they should have a very cheap sub like 5$ a year just for keeping your Pokemon and then have the higher sub for the extra stuff like GTS.
Yeah, if they had a €5/y sub just for storage, I'd be on it in a heartbeat. All I want is to keep my living dex stored in the Cloud, or be able to make a backup.