Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
The fun side of this is you'll be able to play both versions of the game using a single rom on the emulators.

e2449b5c-6aa5-40a9-aftjlr.jpeg

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So does this actually matter or is it just a way for people to go OH NO NO NO NO on twitter? I feel like it being in Unity was a bigger deal

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it has more or less always been that, just a bit better disguised. The earliest games aside, perhaps, there is no meaningful effort in splitting the data into two versions.

But the 2 version bullshit has been a money-making priority since the very beginning and the more people recognize how dumb it is, nowadays in particular, the better.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Silly. You should just be able to toggle it yourself on a new save file.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't imagine it would be for certain games like Black and White that had some significant version differences.
black and white let you run around other people's game worlds so they would actually need to include both versions of areas in the data

i'd be very surprised if every version wasn't doing this in some form. there'd be no reason to have two different master branches for games this closely linked

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way it was always the same codebase in old games that just happened to build into different enough binaries. This is just taking it to the next logical step.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This has been the case since pretty much forever, tbh. You can do the same on games like HGSS.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
This sounds more like efficient development practice rather than something to get up in arms about, and this is coming from someone otherwise dissatisfied with these remakes

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Digimon Anode/Cathode Tamer did something similar way back when, but you got to pick which version you played from an in-game menu.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
It wasn't done like that before? I get that the earliest games might have separated them to optimize file size, but this seems like the most straightforward maintainable way to manage a modern project.

They are essentially the same code with some variables changed. A toggle seems really natural since it ensures both "versions" are always in sync throughout development.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we can discover a new version of the tweaking glitch that allows you travel to the universe of the other game, since game versions being parallel universes are canon in Pokemon.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when y'all went wild about on disc DLC? this is basically the same don't defend it.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it has more or less always been that, just a bit better disguised. The earliest games aside, perhaps, there is no meaningful effort in splitting the data into two versions.

But the 2 version bullshit has been a money-making priority since the very beginning and the more people recognize how dumb it is, nowadays in particular, the better.

Do you realize when Pokemon came out it was on monochrome handhelds that lack internet connectivity. Also, debuted in Japan on of the most density populated places on planet earth right? The two versions aided with the game social appeal. So, it wasn't "bullshit".

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Honestly this doesn't really bother me. Both versions have virtually been the same game for a long time now, so this is somewhat expected and they're not gonna give you a version to choose because we've accepted for over 2 decades now that we're fine with the 2 versions aspect of the games.

What was BS was releasing 2 different season passes for ShSw, one for each version. That shit should've been just a single pass for both.

It'd be funny if someone discovered a glitch that allows to switch between both versions without using external sources or anything lol.

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Who's forcing you to buy both versions? Only 0.0001% of the consumer base does that and it's more to encourage trading and stuff like that.

You need to ? Only the most hardcore fans would buy more than one copy and those are collectors.

Better saying: I think you should have the option to switch from one version to another in-game.
You basically don't have full access to the product you bought.
Capcom has tried to do the same thing in the past.
Remember when y'all went wild about on disc DLC? this is basically the same don't defend it.
www.eurogamer.net

Capcom defends on-disc DLC

Capcom has defended its controversial practice of including locked DLC on the game's original retail disc, arguing ther…
oh boy, that brings back some memories
Capcom has defended its controversial practice of including locked DLC on the game's original retail disc, arguing there's no distinction between doing that and offering it as a post-launch download.

As reported by Cinemablend, the publisher, in response to a number of complaints made to the Better Business Bureau regarding locked Street Fighter X Tekken content, stated that it's chosen delivery method provides more "efficient" and "flexible" gameplay.

"At Capcom, we value our customers and make every effort to resolve customer complaints," read the full statement. "SFxT has an enormous amount of content, fully developed and available for play and enjoyment immediately on-disc. Given the 38 characters available for full play, as well as multiple play modes, SFxT provides great value for all players from day one.

"While Capcom is sorry that some of its fans are not happy about the chosen method of delivery for the DLC, we believe that this method will provide more flexible and efficient gameplay throughout the game's lifecycle.

"There is effectively no distinction between the DLC being 'locked' behind the disc and available for unlocking at a later date, or being available through a full download at a later date, other than delivery mechanism."

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm very much of the belief there should only be one version but whatever I'm surprised this wasn't done prior to be honest.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't done like that before? I get that the earliest games might have separated them to optimize file size, but this seems like the most straightforward maintainable way to manage a modern project.

They are essentially the same code with some variables changed. A toggle seems really natural since it ensures both "versions" are always in sync throughout development.
The leaked source code of Yellow could let you build Yellow or "Pink" (which was mostly dummied out so it would fail of course), and wouldn't be surprised if it was also for RGB so this has always been sort of a thing since gen 1. Only difference here is that in newer games you don't need the source code as well.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Do you realize when Pokemon came out it was on monochrome handhelds that lack internet connectivity. Also, debuted in Japan on of the most density populated places on planet earth right? The two versions aided with the game social appeal. So, it wasn't "bullshit".
Ultimately, it's the same thing. Pokemon increasing its appeal as a social phenomenon encourages more people to buy the game, as with most other game features. It's absolutely there to make money - but so are the new Pokemon, so are the new characters, so are the new areas, and so on.

One of the major differences in this argument is just whether you feel that buying a single version or both versions is the normal.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
so, buying one version, ripping it and then changing the byte enables the other version easily?

seems like a good time to switch to buying only one version.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give GF a lot of shit for what they do (and don't do), but this is just efficient from a development standpoint. Both versions are the exact same game with configuration changes, so it's efficient to have one master build and then bake in a flag to tell the game which configuration set to load. Now, if you ask me why two versions of this game exist in the first place...

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gamefreak does a lot of things wrong. But this is not one of those.

This is just what any decent programmer should do when approaching a project like Pokemon