• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
I've yet to play Runaway, but I liked where Alter Ego was going with its plot and it is a shame we'd never see a sequel.
There is this wonderful moment where you have to fetch water. And you have to go 5 times..!
Atcually I can't remember Alter Ego's story. :O
Runaway is really the worst.

The worst.

It looks bad. It sounds bad. It plays bad.
Can I hug you? I always felt be bit alone with my hate for it. ^^
But I really love the soundtrack, I have to admit.
I never touched the sequels and even the people I knew who liked the first game didn't like them.
There later games weren't any better. Next Big Thing was okay at best and Yesterday made me mad again.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Runaway is one of my favorite adventures. I love it

Oh, man. Wait until you get the actually good games in the genre. I envy you a bit now, that have all of them still to play.

There later games weren't any better. Next Big Thing was okay at best and Yesterday made me mad again.

The only Pendulo game I've tried since Runaway is the demo of another Runaway game. It didn't feel like they had made any strides since the first one.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Runaway 2-3 on other hand are great.

c28.jpg

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Only played the demo of Runaway 2, but great? Really?

Not just adequate? Or enjoyable? But actually great?

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Well, looking at Runaway 2 there.

AdventureGamers said:
The Bad:
  • No gameplay variety
  • Humour often falls flat
  • Inconsistent linearity in puzzle design
  • No real ending

But I think that they at least fixed that awful....whatever the heck the characters were doing with their mouths while talking, from the first tone.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Runaway series was good. 7/10 all games.
The story was total bonkers, but I really like the different unique characters and the cel-shade graphics.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I'd call the runaway trilogy very good. It's high on my list of adventure games outside of the list of classics all adventure game fans know.

I most remember the story which goes in wildly different directions in 2 and 3 which was clearly because they couldn't decide on what to do with it, but I kinda found it unique and fun because of that.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
We need to have higher standards for adventure games. :(
We need more adventure games to have higher standards for first.

Edit: Or maybe i should say more old adventure games to have nostalgia for first. It probably sticks in my head more because I felt a drought at time of that franchise which isn't so bad now.

Last edited:

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
So thanks to this thread i just found out that Zak McKracken is finally on Steam now after all these years...

Is it just the regular old version then or is it enhanced in any way now? This is one PnC i never played back in the day so this may be a good opportunity to check it out :)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So thanks to this thread i just found out that Zak McKracken is finally on Steam now after all these years...

Is it just the regular old version then or is it enhanced in any way now? This is one PnC i never played back in the day so this may be a good opportunity to check it out :)
The game was released on GOG.com initially.
This is the FM Towns version of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So this weekend I started Lamplight City. Finished the first case but found it rather dull - no puzzles, just trying to figure out the right order to talk to people. Dropped it.

Then I started Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller. Poor production values, bad dialogue, terrible voice acting... dropped it after an hour.

I'm all out of great new adventure games :(

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Cognition has terrible voice acting? I remember being impressed with it the first time i played it.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
So this weekend I started Lamplight City. Finished the first case but found it rather dull - no puzzles, just trying to figure out the right order to talk to people. Dropped it.

It's a slow burn. However, the puzzling is very much on the easy/shallow side of the pool. Solving each case is mostly just a matter of tugging on strings until you don't have anything left to pull.

I heard only good things about this game (apart from production values), being created by famous Jane Jensen.
I would call it ok, but didn't like it too much.
The controls are too inconvenient and it's heavily scripted what can lead to confusion.
The story sounded interesting, but I didn't like at all what they did with it and were it was going. Also the character(s) tend to act pretty unrealistic - or that's really the strangest FBI office I've ever seen.
Every episode is a little different, one's a bit better, one's a bit worse, but they are pretty close to each other. (Maybe a bit like Blackwell.) Only the last episode was clearly worse, gamplay and storywise.
But absolutely no issue with the voice acting. Actually I noted it as pretty good.
Remaster of (glorious) soundtrack from Dreamweb
I tried to play it a while ago. Didn't last long until I needed to check a walkthrough, just to find out I already got myself into a dead end and would have to start over. So I ended up watching it on YT instead. :p
The story is very interesting and I really enjoyed it, but the gameplay is too hardcore.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder, with Jane Jensen, that no one looking for good mystery P&C should sleep on Gray Matter. It's a slow start, with stiff 3d models, but the game really is very good when it gets going, and has a very good tasklist/hint system. And an amazing OST.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Am i the only here that played chuchel?

Nope. I played it, liked it. Was very fun.

I skipped it at after not liking Botanicula.

Should I still play Chuchel?

What didn't you like about Botanicula? Chuchel is fairly similar (see Tizoc's description) in structure, although I think Chuchel does a better job of being funny. I don't think Botanicula was trying to be funny most of the time.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
What didn't you like about Botanicula? Chuchel is fairly similar (see Tizoc's description) in structure, although I think Chuchel does a better job of being funny. I don't think Botanicula was trying to be funny most of the time.

I didn't really care for the limited interactions the game had. It felt more like "find the hidden point of interaction" then anything actually fun.

I'm not the type for this kind of games. They feel too much of trial n error to me; the real challenge is to understand, in what sequence you have to click things.
Botanicula was still quite fun, but when I tried a demo of Samorost, I didn't even finish it. I saw someone else play the beginning of Chuchel, and everything is really cute and funny, but still I couldn't get to like this sort of gameplay.

Friendly reminder, with Jane Jensen, that no one looking for good mystery P&C should sleep on Gray Matter. It's a slow start, with stiff 3d models, but the game really is very good when it gets going, and has a very good tasklist/hint system. And an amazing OST.
It's really a great game. Although it features some things I don't like, the rest absolutely tanks that. I love the art style of the cutscenes and the characters and their story really got me.
I also like it when you play different characters and it really feels different. His plot, the puzzles you have to solve with him, differ from hers in a nice way.
Doing those magic tricks were a nice idea for a change too, although they were pretty simple.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I've never played a PnC before. Maybe some Monkey Island with a friend like fifteen years ago. What's my best bet for classics and new releases?

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played a PnC before. Maybe some Monkey Island with a friend like fifteen years ago. What's my best bet for classics and new releases?

I think Day of the Tentacle is the best point and click adventure game of the classic era.

Modern wise some favorites of mine include Life is Strange, Gone Home and Tales from the Borderlands.

Modern wise some favorites of mine include Life is Strange, Gone Home and Tales from the Borderlands.
Eh, I wouldn't call that straight up PnCs, Telltale created a new subgenre, like Fromsoftware with the Souls games. I would rather recommand stuff like Inner World, Book of Unwritten Tales, Gray Matter, Deponia, Secret Files and the likes.
Regarding the old times I like to mention Flight of the Amazon Queen. Had a lot of fun with it and it's legal freeware. Works fine with Scumm and can also be "bought" on GoG. Nothing to lose.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Telltale game should be its own genre, especially now that Telltale is gone and others are continuing this vein of games.

I feel that it has very little in common with classical PnC games, except the literal interface, but abstracts away the mechanics to make them serve the story and moment to moment progress.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I think modern Adventure gaming is composed of multiple sub-genres at this point:

• "Classic" Point n' Click / Parser Based - Most games coming out of Amanita Design, Daedalic, Wadjet Eye (and the AGS community at large) currently. Sierra and LucasArts games of old fall in here. Also Telltale prior to Jurassic Park / Walking Dead.
  • "Walking Simulators" for lack of a better term - 3D exploration games that are more focused on storytelling / environment than puzzles. Gone Home, Dear Esther, Firewatch, Editch Finch, etc. are prime examples. Basically, realMyst minus puzzles.
  • "Telltale-likes" - Anything resembling Telltale's Walking Dead (and later games) model.
  • Interactive Fiction - Twine games, Visual Novels, CYA books, Infocom/Legend style games. Could probably be considered it's own thing but it's a core part of the history of the Adventure genre it'd be a shame to exclude them.

I haven't played a ton of adventures myself but when I think of "Classics" these are usually the recommendations I've seen...
Sierra: King's Quest VI, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Space Quest IV, Leisure Suit Larry 7, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory series (which are an Adventure/RPG hybrid)
LucasArts: Monkey Island 1 + 2, Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis, Grim Fandango
Revolution: Broken Sword, Beneath a Steel Sky

For more modern recommendations I would highly recommend the games published by Wadjet Eye Games, especially since you don't have a lot of exposure to the genre. They're very focused on telling good stories without a lot of hard puzzles so they're a great way to ease yourself into the genre. Their big series is called "Blackwell" which is 5 games long and focuses on a woman in New York City coming to grips with her recent discovery that she's a medium for the recently departed. The Blackwell series gained a spiritual successor this year called "Unavowed" which weaves in some systems like team banter and moral choices that were heavily inspired by BioWare's RPGs. Wadjet Eye has also published critically acclaimed titles like Gemini Rue, Resonance, and Technobabylon which are fairly popular.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I finished Lamplight City yesterday.

While I would have preferred more puzzling (the cases really feel like they solve themselves much of the time, and the right culprit isn't ever hard to find out of the choices available), it was a perfectly pleasant experience. Slightly bemused that I somehow finished the game without unlocking a single achievement, though.

I did feel a bit "sorry" for Grundislav Games, if that's the right word. Because of the lack of puzzles, there are several beautifully drawn locations that are there merely for you to talk to a person stood there - aside from some flavour text descriptions of objects in the room, that's it. Imagine the enormous effort gone into rendering, say, the university greenhouse... And all you do is have a conversation, which cuts away to a Gabriel Knight portraits-on-black screen.

Neat.
Seems to be steam only. Even their own homepage just directs me to steam.
I'm not sure about that 3D thing; always prefered the 2D of Lost Crown over Darkfall or Barrow Hill.
Btw, what happened to Blackenrock?

Lost Crown is not flawless, but the atmosphere is great and I really liked Nigel's gadgets. It's not loo long ago that I replayed it.