Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
What is the very first adventure game you guys recall playing? Mine is this bad boy (not my pic):
It's hard to say, because I was very young. Probably Maniac Mansion on the C64, though I mainly just watched my big brother play it. The first one that I personally played through was LOOM, which I got as a two-pack with Monkey Island for Christmas. While I loved LOOM, I beat it on Christmas Day and only then begrudgingly started playing the goofy looking pirate game I hadn't asked for... that ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is the very first adventure game you guys recall playing?
The Commodore 64 version of Zak McKracken was my first. I'm pretty sure I asked my parents to buy it because of the boxart.

25513_front.jpg

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
What is the very first adventure game you guys recall playing? Mine is this bad boy (not my pic):.

I am pretty sure I played Hugo House of Horrors first, but the first game I personally owned and made my fall in love with point and click adventures was Torin's Passage.
tos0pc0f.jpg

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
What is the very first adventure game you guys recall playing? Mine is this bad boy (not my pic):
Monkey Island I. It was from a CD collection with the first and second game. Long ago lost that one, and I can't find pictures of it online, unfortunately.
My mom bought our first PC from the husband of a friend of hers, who sold us his old one, and even gave some PC games away with it (for me presumably). I figured out how to start the game, with the face wheel and fell in love with it. Took some time until I could play the second one, since wheel for that game was missing, turns out the friend had forgotten that one. Was a nice surprise to find it on the lying on the keyboard one day.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance we'll see a new Leisure Suit Larry in today's climate?

Nah, that's pretty much no chance of that happening. They did a kickstarter for a remaster some years ago, that ended up very mediocre, and where the guy running things burned so many bridges that a lot of people quit the company, and Al Lowe went back to retirement.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So here's a game that can be played entirely with a Mouse.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/559210/Rakuen/
header.jpg

Rakuen is an adventure game designed using RPG Maker. A hospitlized boy and his mother travel to a dream-like world, Rakuen, where cute creatures known as Leebles exist. There they seek to awaken Morizawa in order to grant the boy his desired wish.
As the boy sets out to awaken Morizawa, he must explore the pasts of the other people hospitlized in the rooms of the floor he is in along the way solving puzzles and interacting with the denizens of the dream-like world of Rakuen

The game has some light puzzle elements but where it shines are in its setting, characters, themes and its story. There's some nice humor in some of the dialog and the cutesy characters are a delight lead to a relaxing experience....most of the time. The game has a wonderful soundtrack too that can be cheerful and relaxing.
This game made me tear up a bunch of times, and the music just adds to the atmosphere in certain scenes.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this is the most appropriate thread for a rant about a game I have been eagerly awaiting playing that I've finally dug into this week.. Obduction. Or should I say, "Loading Screen - The Game". I just passed "The Gauntlet" and I am at the Maze. I cannot believe they structured and designed this in such a way that literally I am having to load every ten to 30 seconds to solve a puzzle, and if I am perfect I probably still have to load at least a dozen times in a row. Of course I'm not perfect so this means I'm loading and loading and walking for a bit and jumping dimensions and loading and loading and my enthusiasm is draining and sucking right out of me. I respect this construction behind this world far more than I enjoy playing it, when in reality I feel the ENTIRE game is an absurd exercise in spatial logic and directional memory and nothing else. I am near my breaking point.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
I grabbed Broken Age in the PSN sale and just finished up with it. I really liked it. The characters were great and the humour was spot on too. The storyline itself was really intriguing but was a little let down by the ending but still the ride getting there was a blast, graphics were really beautiful too.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017

25009742_252777695256518_4803184269260226560_n.jpg

It really is sad. May he rest in peace. Thinking back to when BS3 released, it was indeed a darker time for the adventure genre. It had an incredible turnaround in recent years and all of us P&C fans on this thread are lucky to experience this semi "renaissance" if not full renaissance of the genre. I think indie gaming and all kinds of adventure games as a whole warming up to consoles helped spread the genre around beyond its successful foundations for PC platforms. It would be cool to see a documentary about this someday.

What an excellent game to start with. Still one of the best in the genre for me along with LeChucks Revenge.

I remember the first two I played being Police Quest 1 and Leisure Suit Larry 1 on my dads work PC, watched my older brother play them mostly and trying to come up with solutions together.. I was only about 8 at the time and not a native english speaker so it was a while before I could properly play em.. but those games were endlessly fascinating to me. They felt like a whole another living world inside the computer where you could do anything.. loved just playing around and moving around in the land of the lounge lizards. Not too long after got Maniac Mansion on C64 which was somewhat more accessible..

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
It's hard to say, because I was very young. Probably Maniac Mansion on the C64, though I mainly just watched my big brother play it. The first one that I personally played through was LOOM, which I got as a two-pack with Monkey Island for Christmas. While I loved LOOM, I beat it on Christmas Day and only then begrudgingly started playing the goofy looking pirate game I hadn't asked for... that ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

Haha, nice way to bump into Monkey Island, what a surprise it turned out to be for all of us ;D

The Commodore 64 version of Zak McKracken was my first. I'm pretty sure I asked my parents to buy it because of the boxart.

25513_front.jpg

Catchy boxart for a game released in the late 80s. I looked it up and apparently it's come from the main honchos behind Thimbleweed Park ;D

I am pretty sure I played Hugo House of Horrors first, but the first game I personally owned and made my fall in love with point and click adventures was Torin's Passage.
tos0pc0f.jpg

I'm learning about a lot of these adventure games for the first time. Just saw that this was designed by Al Lowe of Leisure Suit Larry fame.

I really need to get on Black Mirror and finish it to free up some space. It's been weighing on me, and I've been dreading it.

I don't blame you - the reviews seem quite mediocre at best. Big shame, Black Mirror as a property seemed like one of the more interesting names in the horror adventure department. King Art, with the exception of the Book of Unwritten Tales, don't seem to do much good with adventure games.

Monkey Island I. It was from a CD collection with the first and second game. Long ago lost that one, and I can't find pictures of it online, unfortunately.
My mom bought our first PC from the husband of a friend of hers, who sold us his old one, and even gave some PC games away with it (for me presumably). I figured out how to start the game, with the face wheel and fell in love with it. Took some time until I could play the second one, since wheel for that game was missing, turns out the friend had forgotten that one. Was a nice surprise to find it on the lying on the keyboard one day.

So we both started off with MI 1. What a great start to falling in love with the genre. Amazing how you may have gotten into the genre because of some freebies your mom got.

Not really sure, maybe it was Kyrandia, maybe Gobliins 2..Great games anyway.

Wow, Kyrandia was made by Westwood? RIP...

The original Simon the Sorceror for me. I don't think it was ever well known outside of Europe:

images

I recall hearing a lot about this growing up. Apparently the studio heads formed the (now defunct) studio that not only made Simon the Sorcerer 3D, but the underrated incredible gem Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

What an excellent game to start with. Still one of the best in the genre for me along with LeChucks Revenge.

I remember the first two I played being Police Quest 1 and Leisure Suit Larry 1 on my dads work PC, watched my older brother play them mostly and trying to come up with solutions together.. I was only about 8 at the time and not a native english speaker so it was a while before I could properly play em.. but those games were endlessly fascinating to me. They felt like a whole another living world inside the computer where you could do anything.. loved just playing around and moving around in the land of the lounge lizards. Not too long after got Maniac Mansion on C64 which was somewhat more accessible..

Couldn't agree more ;D LeChuck's revenge's ending blew me away till this day. Like you, I always loved trying to find solutions (and we did not have the internet to help us back then!) plus EXPLORING. I recall playing Police Quest as well and trying to type in every sentence I can think of just to see what the cop would say as a result. That felt like "open world" to me back then.

Adamastor

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've been trying for years to try to find this game. I think it was a point & click game, maybe one of the Broken Sword games, but the ones I've played don't have the scene I remember. This was probably the first point and click game I saw.

Anyways, the scene in particular opens up with a character either tied up or against the wall with a poisonous snake ready to bite him/her. The solution was to click on the sword hanging on the wall and then the snake which would free the character. Does any one remember such game? I've been trying to find it for ages now.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
While light on gameplay, I am rather enjoying Life is Strange Before the Storm.
I recently beat ep. 1 and I quite enjoyed it, gonna aim to finish it in the next couple of days.

EDIT: OK, all y'all have 1 day to convince me to drop cash on Night in the Woods so I can start playing it after Before the Storm.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
My first adventure game was The Hobbit text adventure on the BBC Micro. First graphical one that I recall was probably Space Quest.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Had a lot of issues last week so couldn't work on it, so I'm going to try and work on a 2018 P&C thread this week and get it up by Sunday.

If anyone has any 2018 adventure games they're looking forward to, please post them so I can add them to the new OP. I'll be adding all the 2017 ones that slipped and hunting around for new ones but I'm sure I won't catch everything.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to play through the entire Wadjet Eye catalogue and I'm really enjoying them so far. I only ever played Gemini Rue and The Blackwell Legacy before now.

So far I've finished The Shivah (really enjoyed it), The Blackwell Legacy (again) and Blackwell Unbound (also really good). I'm playing Blackwell Convergence at the moment.

On a side note, I'm also replaying Westwood's Blade Runner, which I haven't touched since playing it a year or two after it originally released. Reminds me how good it is and how much variation the game has.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Does Blade Runner run well on Windows 10? Such an old game, been on my radar for a while.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Have you seen this? If it's anything like their other books, should be gorgeous:

Looks brilliant - added myself to their mailing list :-)

Does make me wonder what ever happened to the Art of Sierra book project though. Last I heard from them was back in 2015 when they were on a road trip to photograph items and interview people, but the whole project seems to have been in limbo for years. Shame, as it looked like they had excellent access to a huge range of archive material and some of the main players.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
My first adventure game was The Hobbit text adventure on the BBC Micro. First graphical one that I recall was probably Space Quest.

Apparently the folks behind Space Quest have been working on an adventure title for the last 6ish years called Space Venture.

123f1269b7ca3d50eed3a9c8f34f9221_original.jpg

Welp decided to grab Night in the Woods.
Gonna start it by next week at least.

I heard this one is very special. Enjoy!

I'm starting to play through the entire Wadjet Eye catalogue and I'm really enjoying them so far. I only ever played Gemini Rue and The Blackwell Legacy before now.

So far I've finished The Shivah (really enjoyed it), The Blackwell Legacy (again) and Blackwell Unbound (also really good). I'm playing Blackwell Convergence at the moment.

On a side note, I'm also replaying Westwood's Blade Runner, which I haven't touched since playing it a year or two after it originally released. Reminds me how good it is and how much variation the game has.

I only played Gemini Rue (which was fantastic, especially the city segments). They have so many lovely looking games. How good are the blackwell games that you finished from a plot point of view?

Does Blade Runner run well on Windows 10? Such an old game, been on my radar for a while.

I did try running it for the first time recently - it worked just fine to my shock! I didn't need to make any modifications whatsoever.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Looks brilliant - added myself to their mailing list :-)

Does make me wonder what ever happened to the Art of Sierra book project though. Last I heard from them was back in 2015 when they were on a road trip to photograph items and interview people, but the whole project seems to have been in limbo for years. Shame, as it looked like they had excellent access to a huge range of archive material and some of the main players.

Probably got stuck in a dead end without realising

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017

Runs fine on Windows 7. You just need to use a newer installer to install it on a modern OS and a CPU patch to fix a couple sections that work on timing. Aside from doing those couple quick fixes, it works great! I found everything I need on the Blade Runner PC Gaming Wiki page.

I only played Gemini Rue (which was fantastic, especially the city segments). They have so many lovely looking games. How good are the blackwell games that you finished from a plot point of view?

Really good. Legacy is a nice introduction to the main character and her "companion". Unbound is a prequel that builds on the backstory of the main characters family. This one, Convergence is a nice continuation of Legacy, just with much improved art and mechanics.

I'm really enjoying the series so far. Think I'm nearing the end of Convergence now.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
Really good. Legacy is a nice introduction to the main character and her "companion". Unbound is a prequel that builds on the backstory of the main characters family. This one, Convergence is a nice continuation of Legacy, just with much improved art and mechanics.

I'm really enjoying the series so far. Think I'm nearing the end of Convergence now.

Enjoy it man, then you have Deception and Epiphany to look forward to! I am thinking of playing them in order of chronological release sometime.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
What'd y'all think of Virginia?
I personally liked it's narritive, and while it does go screw bally at times I liked the relationship between the two agents.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
A bit interested in Night in the Woods myself. Would you still enjoy it, if you didn't like a game like Oxenfree (that I felt was just talking, walking and way too much talking)?

Nov 6, 2017
A bit interested in Night in the Woods myself. Would you still enjoy it, if you didn't like a game like Oxenfree (that I felt was just talking, walking and way too much talking)?

No you will not. I did not enjoy it despite having no issues with walking and talking and I liked Oxenfree but Night in The Woods to me personally gave me no emotions, nothing. The mystery part was too short and anticlimactic and it focused just too much on relationships that I have seen plenty of times, aka nothing special.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
What'd y'all think of Virginia?
I personally liked it's narritive, and while it does go screw bally at times I liked the relationship between the two agents.

I played the game. It was interesting and enjoyable to some extent I must admit.
The reason it was a little bit "trippy", it was
to create a specific Theme. The Theme of "Truth and Lie". It show a lot of Lies, lies that the townpeople and others want to hide.
This is why they wanted to kill the Bison at some point: The Bison symbolise the Truth. YOU killed the Bison if I remember corectly. YOU created the lie of the missing child.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Aight time to replay Beneath a Steel Sky!
Applying the 'enhanced music' to it makes for a much more satisfying experience
https://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/con...-a-steel-sky-enhanced-soundtrack-for-scummvm/

I'm waiting about 14 days to see if Night in the Woods goes in a bundle, at which point I wanna see if Humble could honor a refund of an used key :V

I played the game. It was interesting and enjoyable to some extent I must admit.
The reason it was a little bit "trippy", it was
to create a specific Theme. The Theme of "Truth and Lie". It show a lot of Lies, lies that the townpeople and others want to hide.
This is why they wanted to kill the Bison at some point: The Bison symbolise the Truth. YOU killed the Bison if I remember corectly. YOU created the lie of the missing child.
...Odd that I don't remember that scene much @_@

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
https://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/con...-a-steel-sky-enhanced-soundtrack-for-scummvm/

I'm waiting about 14 days to see if Night in the Woods goes in a bundle, at which point I wanna see if Humble could honor a refund of an used key :V

Beneath a Steel Sky was very interesting. Not sure if you played this one Tizoc but if you're up for a very good sci-fi P&C click adventure go for Gemini Rue.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017

It was the scene which you found yourself in a room full of people wearing red robes.