• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Being a highly nerdly nerd, I don't spend a whole lot of my time talking about sports. But a while ago I was looking up basketball terms, and I found things that appeal to me as a fighting game fan.

You've got special techniques that not everyone can perform successfully, that have their own names, and which might be highly associated with a certain athlete who might even have been its inventor. There might also be a joystick motion and a super meter associated with them. I'm not entirely sure.

These are the two I remember:

Skyhook:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's special move, adopted from George Mikan. Has unblockable property.

tumblr_oom5xwuehz1sdy1qir6.gif

Dream Shake:

Hakeem Olajuwon's special move. Cancellable feint.

aawyudlc5dqj.gif

Please educate me about more of these. Also, feel free to discuss how they should be implemented in the NBA Jam anime.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rolling thunder:

776475fe8ebf1deaeb955355acbe221a.gif

Tornado kick:

Pe3ezi.gif

Imanari roll

qoq4db.gif

Berimbolo

b87f982f8d294e8f57b2112fe69cc123.gif

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
well dammit you immediately ruled out the one i was gonna use and then followed it up with my second choice, which is possibly the crispiest post-up gif ever.

i guess jordan + fadeaway jumpers would be the next move to give props to? someone has to have done it before jordan, but when i think fadeaway i think of growing up watching kobe do approximately 1 trillion of them and older people talking about how he was copying jordan's playstyle evolution.

then again, currys 3point shooting means he's basically the 3point shooter from kuroko no basuke when he's on. christ in that universe lebron must be dunking from half-court while curry sinks jumpers from the locker room through a tripleteam.

any particular good dunk definitely has the feeling of burning meter, but i can't think of one particular style of it that feels reproducible enough to count as a signature move.

OH WAIT i don't have gifs of it but Dirk's spin-shot from the miami series in his title win definitely had the feeling of a finishing move.

Jul 18, 2018
Karate kicks, taekwondo style scissor kicks, scorpion kicks, bicycle kicks... yea it's all synymous with the one, the only..
Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chris Paul (The point god) has a patented Yo-yo dribble that straight up looks like real life skipped a frame of animation:

It's a backspin pass, so that instead of the ball bouncing away from Chris Paul and towards the passee like a normal bounce pass, the ball spins the opposite direction and bounces back to him like a normal dribble. The end result is that it looks like Paul has made an obvious bounce pass to another player, but somehow still has the ball.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
James Harden probably has the sickest Euro Step in NBA history:

This used to be Manu Ginobli's signature move, but with him retired, it belongs entirely to Harden now.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In college, Vince Young had something he called "Jordan Mode" that he talked about in lots and lots of interviews. According to him, it was something he could turn on and off at will, that he found after a miracle victory against Kansas in 2004. It's not so much a single move, as it is this insane drive where he'd go into some unstoppable mode, highlighted by jaw dropping tackle breaks.

This is a highlight reel of VY's "jordan mode" plays:

BTW: OU sucks

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like dopping

There are highlights of him doing it at every level going back to when he was 14 years old and playing for Madison Highschool.

Dude just had some insane ice in his veins. My favorite VY jordan mode post college was this:

I wish he had an actual NFL coach in his career.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Marshawn Lynch has a charge ability that makes him immune to knockdowns.

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The WallRun.
It uses 2 metters

Chris Paul (The point god) has a patented Yo-yo dribble that straight up looks like real life skipped a frame of animation:

Zlatan with the Level 2 MK+HK Roundhouse Special from 2 weeks ago.

Marshawn Lynch has a charge ability that makes him immune to knockdowns.

I'd like to thank you all for translating into terms I can understand.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
The Produnova

Untitled-1%2B%25282%2529.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Produnova

it's a gymnastics vault jump in the women's event performed for the first time by Elena Produnova in 1999 (that's the one in the gif)and only a handful of girls have managed to land it and when they fail in competition, you think "you were this near of being chained to a wheel chair for the rest if your life".

when asked if she'd work on it, olympic champion Simon Biles said "are you mad? I don't wanna die!". very dangerous

EDIT: this video shows Produnova and the other 4 girls that were credited with having landed it in competition. In case you wonder how that nasty attempt by the egyptian girl was credited, the wiki site says as long you land first on your feet, you'll be credited with the jump... blows my mind how nobody has been able to land it properly like produnova in 1999 ever since.

Last edited:

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017

The Peter Forsberg goal. He wasn't the first to do it, but it was an iconic moment.

forsberg-stamp.jpg

It was even made into a Swedish postal stamp.

Savardian Spin-o-rama

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017

Zanardi Pass at Laguna Seca corkscrew. I only recall this happening a couple times, but this was on the last lap and the pass was made on one of the most famous turns on any racetrack. For reference, that's a 3 story blind drop.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Demetrious Johnsons suplex directly into an armbar. Still probably the greatest submission ive ever seen