Status
Not open for further replies.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
Jim Ryan is a marketing hack that doesn't care for gamers and I like to believe this whole suspension for creating bigger impact PR trick for PS5 is going to blow up in his face. In fact I'm actually OK with a lackluster release with a powerful console (all thanks to Mark Cerny and not him) that doesn't have the price advantage of PS4 in the last round will make him step down from the position that he's not capable of filling.

Nobody promised you a PS5 reveal event was going to happen soon

This whole nonsense was caused by fans that expected them to do the same thing they did 7 years ago.
This month Jim Ryan said they would talk more about PS5 in the coming months. Expecting an imediate reveal and being dissapointed is on you.

Oct 31, 2019
Is this because you didn't get your Playstation meeting?
No neither I nor 'we' as gamers are entitled for that, and I get the industry figuratively runs on hype. But their strategy is hurting them, we know nothing except the Wired articles but on MS side we have seen the form factor and Phil Spencer himself had released the die shot of the XSX which almost instantly proved it is huge and powerful (along with 12TF retweets) we actually know enough to hype! Now I've made my decision to buy only one of them and my decision making is simply buy the more powerful one, so Sony keeping absolutely silent about performance/power figures is hurting them in my case and I believe for lots of others as well. Info draught is good as long as keeping the hype up, but now it is turning into either with people losing interest or bitter resentment.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jim Ryan is a marketing hack that doesn't care for gamers and I like to believe this whole suspension for creating bigger impact PR trick for PS5 is going to blow up in his face. In fact I'm actually OK with a lackluster release with a powerful console (all thanks to Mark Cerny and not him) that doesn't have the price advantage of PS4 in the last round will make him step down from the position that he's not capable of filling.

Wow.

Wow.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I also remember that sometime last month Siobhan Reddy (head of MM) said that she was about to go on vacation, but when she got back she'd be attending some WWS meeting in Amsterdam. I'd imagine that any big PS event would occur after that meeting.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
No neither I nor 'we' as gamers are entitled for that, and I get the industry figuratively runs on hype. But their strategy is hurting them, we know nothing except the Wired articles but on MS side we have seen the form factor and Phil Spencer himself had released the die shot of the XSX which almost instantly proved it is huge and powerful (along with 12TF retweets) we actually know enough to hype! Now I've made my decision to buy only one of them and my decision making is simply buy the more powerful one, so Sony keeping absolutely silent about performance/power figures is hurting them in my case and I believe for lots of others as well. Info draught is good as long as keeping the hype up, but now it is turning into either with people losing interest or bitter resentment.

How is it hurting them?

They revealed just the logo and people went crazy.

The silence won't matter once they show their cards. Peoply will go crazy and forget about the silence in an instant.

Oct 26, 2017

Imagine writing this because you didn't get a conference lmao

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Just because Sony isn't as loud as Microsoft and their shills doesn't mean the company is doomed lol

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine writing this because you didn't get a conference lmao

Imagine calling someone instrumental in establishing the Playstation brand's foothold across Europe a "marketing hack".

That people are actually going through the stages over grief this, kick-started by the logo reveal, means the marketing is very much working. I've been on forums since I was a kid and cant recall a fever pitch quite like this since the PS2.

Oct 31, 2019
How is it hurting them?

They revealed just the logo and people went crazy.

The silence won't matter once they show their cards. Peoply will go crazy and forget about the silence in an instant.
Not if the silence is caused by apparent power deficit that is talked and theorized in the interwebz, and yes they are right to not comment on rumors, BUT no official answer either by form factor or die shot reveal as an answer to MS is hurting them. The logo reveal is just too useless and unnecessary at this point in time, doing that at an event where people were expecting much more, is like a slap in the face no less.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019

This is the typical internet (era) bubble. In the grand scheme of things is meaningless. Also, sharing the die shot or the form factor is not some genius marketing move.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind if Sony does the PlayStation meeting/ full blowout of the PS5 after the last of us part 2 comes out ( so 4 months before November ? )

Remember how nintendo did the switch press conference thing like 2 months before it's release and shit was still hype?

Yeah I would love that tbh. In the meantime I have some big ass releases like FF7, TLOSP2 and Nintendo Directs to satisfy my hunger cause no matter what I'm still getting ps5 cause im so deep in their echosystem now

Oct 31, 2019
This is the typical internet (era) bubble. In the grand scheme of things is meaningless. Also, sharing the die shot or the form factor is not some genius marketing move.
Where exactly in my post that I claimed "sharing the die shot or the form factor IS some genius marketing move", it's not, but not responding in kind in an official capacity is imo marketing suicide that festers the fear of less powerful console these GitHub leaks alluding to and not feeding the hype. People or going crazy but not in a good sense of the word. And this is their marketing strategy, an info vacuum that will be filled with their eventual release, I can appreciate it is a valid tactic but I can still argue that it will actually hurt more than it helps.

Edit: Just look at this thread

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Yeah, it's really time for...

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

People will for sure lose their interest and when Oct/Nov has come, they will buy another console because Sony hasn't shown the PS5 already a year before launch :/

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
Where exactly in my post that I claimed "sharing the die shot or the form factor IS some genius marketing move", it's not, but not responding in kind in an official capacity is imo marketing suicide that festers the fear of less powerful console these GitHub leaks alluding to and not feeding the hype. People or going crazy but not in a good sense of the word. And this is their marketing strategy, an info vacuum that will be filled with their eventual released, I can appreciate it is a valid tactic but I can still argue that it will actually hurt more than it helps.

Why would they officially comment on rumors/leaks? To reassure insecure forum posters?

It's not like the Xbox is coming out soon and you have to make a decison between waiting to know about the PS5 specs or buy the Xbox now.
You'll know the full specs of both long before they come out and you'll be able to make an informed decision based on that (if power is the only thing you care about).

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not if the silence is caused by apparent power deficit that is talked and theorized in the interwebz, and yes they are right to not comment on rumors, BUT no official answer either by form factor or die shot reveal as an answer to MS is hurting them. The logo reveal is just too useless and unnecessary at this point in time, doing that at an event where people were expecting much more, is like a slap in the face no less.

Who was realistically expecting anything meaty about PS5 at CES? The logo reveal did exactly what it was meant to do. Get people talking and excited.

It's no different from Marvel dropping movie logos for their next slate of movies for the next 2-3 years. Also Sony doesn't need to "respond" to MS.

Jan 20, 2019

If you are going to coment on someones ability to to their job theb you better know what that person does for a living.

Second, they dont give a shit about you.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
honestly, just because of all the madness at the lack of news, i hope they pull a switch and wait until july to release a PS5 teaser and a full reveal 3 months later.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Exactly this, problem is not info draught but how they're handling this info draught, they've been radio silent for way too long.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
I wouldn't mind if Sony does the PlayStation meeting/ full blowout of the PS5 after the last of us part 2 comes out ( so 4 months before November ? )

Remember how nintendo did the switch press conference thing like 2 months before it's release and shit was still hype?

Yeah I would love that tbh. In the meantime I have some big ass releases like FF7, TLOSP2 and Nintendo Directs to satisfy my hunger cause no matter what I'm still getting ps5 cause im so deep in their echosystem now

My thoughts exactly, since if you notice their twitter account hyping up the games coming in the first half of 2020 continuously. Also they arent attending e3 now, it would make complete sense to host their own conference unveiling the ps5 and the games coming in the second half of 2020.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Sony let the games speak and they are amazing this year with Tlou2, GoT, FF7R, Iron Man VR, Predator :)
No need for hyping already the PS5 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

People got with the PS4 again a great platform with top support until the end of the gen.
And that's the best PS5 marketing !!

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Lol, very funny comment 🙂

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017

If you'd read the OP of the next-gen speculation thread, you'd see that we know just as much, if not more, about the PS5 than the XSX.

It's ironic that this PS thread right here is one of the few places on ERA that doesn't take part in antagonising and console warring, so no need to bring this in here.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
LOL

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017

I don't understand why this upsets you, you're buying the most powerful, at this moment, that's xbox - how do you lose in this scenario?

The fact that you can't buy either until at least September should help you relax, no?

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I think we need a separate thread for this endless PS5 announcement speculation....this one is supposed to be about Sony WWS games.
Anyway.......Days Gone update.....travelled south now(didn't even realize there was a second part to the map,so that was a nice surprise)and the last few hours have been fantastic.I can see why the game got all the 7/10 scores for sure,the gameplay elements are nothing special but the way everything binds together actually makes it one of the more interesting open world games I've played this gen,while playing on a harder difficulty ramps up the survival gameplay to give everything a real edge....just ran into the crows for the first time,nearly one shot me....they are real dicks,lol.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I never felt they would follow exactly what happened 7 years ago, I still think it's February for the event but on the last days this time and that announcement can still happen next week.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Might as well go along with the madness and hope for the best

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Playstation 5 February wgah'nagl fhtagn Sony Meeting
w4CVNPb.jpg

rahji

Oct 25, 2017

I am right there with you. I will be busy with those games the upcoming months.

Nov 21, 2017
It's absolutely fun seeing everyone suddently saying "OK so nothing for February" since we're only February 1st...

Limited console are most of the time usually revealed approximatively 1 month before the game launch, so it's still possible.

True I figured it would have been revealed a few months in advance like KH3 and Spider-Man.

Sony knows their fans ain't got anything going on on Valentine's. Genius.

Dreams says Hello.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where exactly in my post that I claimed "sharing the die shot or the form factor IS some genius marketing move", it's not, but not responding in kind in an official capacity is imo marketing suicide that festers the fear of less powerful console these GitHub leaks alluding to and not feeding the hype. People or going crazy but not in a good sense of the word. And this is their marketing strategy, an info vacuum that will be filled with their eventual release, I can appreciate it is a valid tactic but I can still argue that it will actually hurt more than it helps.

Just buy the non-Sony console and be done with it. Thanks.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony now controls the conversation by saying absolutely nothing.
Reminds me of the PS2 vs Dreamcast days.
Sega put out many tech demos etc, and Sony basically said... "Thats not next gen.."...

And controlled the conversation, killing alot of hype for Dreamcast as their silence drove up our anxieties over "what is next gen?? What will they show when they do??"
I'm getting those vibes again.
Back then.. internet wasn't such a big deal.
If they pull that off again, a 2020 version of it, they dont have to wait for game magazines to spread the message, it will spread like wildfire on social media.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just because Sony isn't as loud as Microsoft and their shills doesn't mean the company is doomed lol
Basically this. A lot of the people dooming and glooming will start singing once the conference shows up. Sony has been quiet for 1 1/2 years now, they have a good amount in their pockets.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they'd say more and am a bit annoyed by their silence. But a lotta people are waiting.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Sony now controls the conversation by saying absolutely nothing.
Reminds me of the PS2 vs Dreamcast days.
Sega put out many tech demos etc, and Sony basically said... "Thats not next gen.."...

And controlled the conversation, killing alot of hype for Dreamcast as their silence drove up our anxieties over "what is next gen?? What will they show when they do??"
I'm getting those vibes again.
Back then.. internet wasn't such a big deal.
If they pull that off again, a 2020 version of it, they dont have to wait for game magazines to spread the message, it will spread like wildfire on social media.

I think the logo hype and the amount of people talking about it.. Is more than enough to challenge the current hype

Mar 9, 2019

yikers

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You'll know everything you need about the PS5 with ample time to decide on whether you want to purchase it or not before launch, relax and focus on other things in your life until then.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

At first I thought this was jest and then I saw the rest of dudes posts. Wowzers.

Sora78

Jun 3, 2018
I love Insomniac Games and I really hope they have watched / listened to the feedback of this famous and very meaningful video for the next step of the Ratchet & Clank series!

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
This thread never fails to amuse me lol
They gave a breakdown of the PS5 controller in October, Jim gave a big interview with GI.biz in November, they did a SoP in December and revealed the logo last month.
Sounds like they're showing a small piece of the console every month. It's like a striptease and all ya thirsty bastards can't wait for the main dish haha

Oct 25, 2017
I love Insomniac Games and I really hope they have watched / listened to the feedback of this famous and very meaningful video for the next step of the Ratchet & Clank series!

I'm sure Insomniac knows where to go with Ratchet and Clank. The circumstances this gen just held the IP back. With no movie and Sony's full backing, I would expect a new Ratchet and Clank to be glorious.

Speaking of re-imaginings, it would be cool to get some retro, remake, remaster focus. Maybe in a sale or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.