Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh really? That would be awesome. I want Sony to go all-in on trying to make a hit FPS. I reckon Naughty Dog and Santa Monica could both make a really damn sweet one. They've got a lot of talent and it's probably the one big genre Sony has never put much effort into.
Why put in the effort when other people do it best (Activison and Respawn) and you can absorb that audience without the effort by being market leader.
Sometimes the best thing is to do nothing (and focus your efforts in single player action adventure/narrative tales)

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh really? That would be awesome. I want Sony to go all-in on trying to make a hit FPS. I reckon Naughty Dog and Santa Monica could both make a really damn sweet one. They've got a lot of talent and it's probably the one big genre Sony has never put much effort into.
lol..... Sony made multiple AAA FPS. Killzone 1 on PS2, Killzone 2 and 3 on PS3 Resistance 1, 2 and 3 on PS3, Killzone Shadow Fall on PS4, Killzone: Mercenary on PSVITA, etc. Then there are AA FPS games like Firewall Zero Hour and Farpoint on PSVR, etc.

Genres Sony did not put much effort into in the last ~10 years? JRPGs, RPG (not Action RPGs like Horizon Zero Dawn), Car Combat games (Twisted Metal), Survival Horror games, etc.
The last 1st party JRPG on consoles launched ~10 years ago.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Sucker Punch is Sony's Japan-focused developer. Maybe they can make a JRPG for you guys after Ghost of Tsushima.

Gravity Rush 2's main problem was the mission design. Combat was decent.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Lmaooo Days Gone is frustrating. I've ran out of fuel and I'm over a km away from my destination, looks like by foot I go

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucker Punch is Sony's Japan-focused developer. Maybe they can make a JRPG for you guys after Ghost of Tsushima.
384341096337113090l7kc1.png

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It's true though. Japan Studio, led by Frenchman Nicolas Doucet, have been making Crash Bandicoot clones (Knack) and The Italian Plumber 64 of VR. Sucker Punch bringin' the traditional Japanese stuff.

Lmaooo Days Gone is frustrating. I've ran out of fuel and I'm over a km away from my destination, looks like by foot I go
Fuel cans respawn so remember where you found them. Also, upgrade the bike's tank.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
That's an important part of the game :D Always look at your fuel gauge and make sure you have enough fuel. You can upgrade your bike over time.
I had just finished the bit where you have to sneak past all the Scientists (?) and you discover that someone is alive and had to rush away. I'm only like an hour into it

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
It's true though. Japan Studio, led by Frenchman Nicolas Doucet, have been making Crash Bandicoot clones (Knack) and The Italian Plumber 64 of VR. Sucker Punch bringin' the traditional Japanese stuff.

Fuel cans respawn so remember where you found them. Also, upgrade the bike's tank.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019

Japan Studio was created in november 1993.
It has not been run by a Japanese since early 1995

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
If Sony really decided to not develop Bloodborne 2, it means that they prefer to do more mainstream games accessible to everyone like Horizon, Uncharted, God of War etc and not games dedicated to a slice of public like BB. It would be a shame.
BB is one of the best new IP of this generation or even the best.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
If Sony really decided to not develop Bloodborne 2, it means that they prefer to do more mainstream games accessible to everyone like Horizon, Uncharted, God of War etc and not games dedicated to a slice of public like BB. It would be a shame.

Or it just means they can't force a studio that isn't theirs to make a game for them.
Just sayin'

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

or it means that Fromsoftware/Miyazaki are busy with other projects and don't have the time to work on a BB2.

Also we get Demon Souls instead

edit: beaten

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017

I think Sony is waiting on from. I have said it before, they should try to do it by themselves.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just means they can't force an independent studio to make their games.
It's one of the reason why I want Sony to buy 2 or 3 more studios.
A certain studio is getting acquired by a different company / studio signs a new multi-game publishing deal with a different company = Sony can kiss their collab efforts / IP sequels goodbye.
For seeing everyone loosing their mind and call for boycott because FS is not involved ?
No thanks
Let them boycott it. Sony can do whatever they want with their IPs.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is my favorite game of all time, and FromSoftware is working on multiple games right now, but whether Bloodborne 2 is among them remains to be seen. I wouldn't want Bloodborne 2 unless it's directed by Miyazaki. Toyama could be an interesting choice if Miyazaki is never available again as he has experience with horror, so I'd trust him there, but he'd need a really good team for the combat. If not Toyama then somebody else within FromSoft who loves Bloodborne as much as the fans do.

I honestly thought that it had to do with GG helping Kojima out, and the "thank you for all the help" note Remedy sent to GG. I guess that the joke is that GG should now be on speed dial whenever a third party is having issues.
GG did a lot more than just help Kojima, they gave the guy their entire Decima Engine to work with. I remember seeing all the interviews and such on how Kojima went about choosing which engine he wanted to use. I didn't know about the Remedy and GG thing though, that's really cool.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
While Nintendo laughing all the way to the bank with Xenoblades, Fire Emblems, etc.

And SIEJA pumping 'new IPs' & had nothing to do with the genre + probably sold less with little to no guarantee of sequels.

/half s

I mean, Sony had three long-running JRPG franchises that just stopped after PS2, as did other major franchises like Ape Escape (PS Move excepted).

I certainly don't think all that helped the PS3 and PS4 in Japan.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take any form of Demons Souls remastered as long as it's good. Miyazaki already laid out the ground work makes no difference to me.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a single console/handheld JRPG throughout the history of mankind apart from Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Pokémon that has sold 5 million worldwide?

Edit: Kingdom Hearts 3 did so apart from that. Arguably a spin-off though and not really much of an RPG.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there is any JRPG that has sold 5 million copies. Feels like it would be a weird investment otherwise to make games in a genre with such limited potential appeal.
How many 5 million sellers do we have on the VR plaform? Did Sony expect 5 million copies sold when they made Gravity Rush, Knack, Concrete Genie, MLB The Show, Dreams, The Last Guardian, Fat Princess Adventures, Guns Up!, Helldivers, Matterfall, Resogun, Entwined, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust Ultra, Bound, Kill Strain, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway Unfolded, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, The Unfinished Swan, Wipeout Omega Collection, Hidden Agenda, Erica, etc.?

Not every game needs to sell 5 million copies. Sony has no problem to fund games like the ones I've mentioned above. I'm sure they can fund an AA JRPG every 3 years. They have multiple teams in Japan. And they have an XDev team there. Make a JRPG already. It has been ~10 years since the last 1st party console JRPG.

Oct 25, 2017
If ppl gonna start doing the whole 5-10 mil thing we might as well just stick with uncharted,tlou,horizon,Spider-Man.gow and Gt and call it a day

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I think it would be good for Sony to invest in more games that aren't super expensive 10M+ sales monsters that take the entire generation to deliver.

Their output, in terms of games, has definitely decreased. We should expect more than just two massive games each year + MLB The Show. We need those smaller-scale titles in between.

A modestly budgeted JRPG could absolutely be a worthwhile endeavor. Even an RPG with the budget of a Tales or Xenoblade would pale in comparison to the massive budget of a game like TLOU2 or GoW.

The problem with only investing in massive too-big-to-fail "sure bets" is that eventually people do tire of those franchises, and then where are you? You need to be building up new audiences too.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
How many 5 million sellers do we have on the VR plaform? Did Sony expect 5 million copies sold when they made Gravity Rush, Knack, Concrete Genie, MLB The Show, Dreams, The Last Guardian, Fat Princess Adventures, Guns Up!, Helldivers, Matterfall, Resogun, Entwined, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust Ultra, Bound, Kill Strain, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway Unfolded, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, The Unfinished Swan, Wipeout Omega Collection, Hidden Agenda, Erica, etc.?

Not every game needs to sell 5 million copies. Sony has no problem to fund games like the ones I've mentioned above. I'm sure they can fund an AA JRPG every 3 years. They have multiple teams in Japan. Make a JRPG already.
None of those examples are AAA though. I'm sure Sony could fund Zeboyd Games or something to make a JRPG but it feels like AA-to-AAA JRPGs often underperform unless they are from the three big JRPG brands. The aforementioned Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem Three Houses which were put up as great examples sold very low compared to, well anything Sony's major western studios have done this gen. Even middling games like Days Gone.

It just doesn't seem to me like a genre to invest big in. It's not easy to make a new IP a success and JRPGs have such limited appeal. Sure, fund Media.Vision and make a mid-budget Wild Arms but it feels like there isn't really much of a market to chase with a AAA JRPG project.

There are more important holes to fill in the first party portfolio. Sony has no major multiplayer games and the competition has built an incredibly popular arcade racing series for example. They also need to decide if they're in VR or if they are going to continue half-assing it.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017

Japan Studio was not led by Nicolas Doucet when for exemple Knack was greenlighted. He only became the director of Japan Studio this year before that he was on the Asobi Team.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Not every game Microsoft makes needs a Sony answer. It's okay (and actually good!) for the two console vendors to not be carbon copies of each other.
The point was that JRPGs are niche and there are more popular genres where Sony are actually weak. They are dominating the mainstream JRPG market already via third parties. JRPGs is not a weakness for Sony. Multiplayer is. Arcade racing is.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of those examples are AAA though.
But they are AA. And AA JRPGs would be perfectly fine.
I'm sure Sony could fund Zeboyd Games or something to make a JRPG but it feels like AA-to-AAA JRPGs often underperform unless they are from the three big JRPG brands.
I want a JRPG from a japanese dev team/studio.
Some JRPGs perform well, some don't. It's all about the budget. Sony doesn't have a problem to fund games like Gravity Rush, Knack, Concrete Genie, MLB The Show, Dreams, The Last Guardian, Fat Princess Adventures, Guns Up!, Helldivers, Matterfall, Resogun, Entwined, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust Ultra, Bound, Kill Strain, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway Unfolded, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, The Unfinished Swan, Wipeout Omega Collection, Hidden Agenda, Erica, etc.
They should not have a problem to fund AA JRPGs.
The aforementioned Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem Three Houses which were put up as great examples sold very low compared to, well anything Sony's major western studios have done this gen. Even middling games like Days Gone.
I'm still talking about AA JRPGs like Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Let it sell 1 million or 2 max. Breakeven -> Everybody is happy.
It just doesn't seem to me like a genre to invest big in. It's not easy to make a new IP a success and JRPGs have such limited appeal. Sure, fund Media.Vision and make a mid-budget Wild Arms but it feels like there isn't really much of a market to chase with a AAA JRPG project.
You think SIE thought there is a huge market for games like Gravity Rush, Knack, Concrete Genie, The Last Guardian, Fat Princess Adventures, Guns Up!, Helldivers, Matterfall, Resogun, Entwined, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust Ultra, Bound, Kill Strain, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway Unfolded, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, Hohokum, CounterSpy, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, The Unfinished Swan, Wipeout Omega Collection, Hidden Agenda, Erica, etc. so they shouldn't make a 1st party (AA) JRPG? Really?
There are more important holes to fill in the first party portfolio. Sony has no major multiplayer games and the competition has built an incredibly popular arcade racing series for example. They also need to decide if they're in VR or if they are going to continue half-assing it.
We got some nice 1st party VR games in the last 3 years. We got some multiplayer games and modes in the last 10 years.
We got ZERO JRPGs in the last 10 years.

Horizon is a new IP and look at how much it sold. All of these were new IPs at some point.
Horizon Zero Dawn is a AAA game which was almost 8 years in development. I'm pretty sure SIE Japan can fund some AA JRPGs, too.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Who even bought Oreshika if we didn't get JRPGs in 10 years? Maybe that's the reason we aren't getting more. Sony fans don't care and Oreshika proved it, just like the other they funded before it.

So cancel that demon souls remake?
If that's the kind of JRPG you want then we are not talking about the same kind of JRPGs. In that case Sony has also made a JRPG this gen so what are you complaining about?

Status
Not open for further replies.