Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can't wait for Playstation to finally spill the beans and give us a real, proper look at PSVR Ironman.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Couldn' really give a fuck about PS5 news, I just want TLoU 2 now 😭
Thought I was managing well, then the OG date happened and I've not wanted to play anything since.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, that shit is not needed anymore. Same with conferences.
They can drop specs in a interview and then do State of Play/live stream of games.
Information now spreads like wildfire and viral is cost effective form of marketing, people will send the message for you.

The PS5 reveal isn't just for the enthusiast press, though. It's also for the business press. Sony is a major corporation, and with the PS5 reveal Sony would be laying out a major part of their corporate strategy for the next decade.

I think PS5 information would be disseminated by enthusiasts through social media no matter how Sony structures the event. Their larger challenge is making the case to the business press and investors – the people who aren't posting memes about how hungry they are for PS5 – that the PS5 is going to be a success.

Apple doesn't just invite the tech enthusiast press when they announce a new iPhone; they invite everybody. PlayStation Meeting has always been the same way. And the purposes that it serves can't be accomplished as effectively by just putting a product page up about how awesome PS5 is.

Letting journalists go hands-on with a product goes a long way toward establishing to them that it's a real product that is going to be ready to ship in six months. Heck, even on Era we already have a lot of people who are seemingly convinced that the PS5 project is in some sort of disarray, and you think it would be good for Sony to dispense with a public unveiling and just release trailers and not ever show the system in public? Until, what, the press gets their review units?

Last edited:

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OT 7 and FF VII Remake releasing in a month.

It's like poetry.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the joke? Something quoted a video for me yesterday but it said no longer available.

state of patience much better IMO, especially after seeing ppl quite literary freak out with official Xbox specs.But maybe that's because I don't get it from not being here as much these last few months

The joke is it's OT7. "What's in the box" is a famous moment from the end of the film Seven, by David Fincher. It's stylised as Se7en, hence the tagline. And in this case "what's in the box" relates to the hysteria of the Playstation audience desperate to find out more about the PS5.

Firstly I just want you to know that when I said I didn't see it trending, I didn't. But the fact that you've linked back to it 24 hours later kinda showcases what I've been saying in these OTs for some time now.

Us gaming enthusiasts on this gaming enthusiast forum are pretty much a microcosm of a much broader and wider market. And when I see the wildly weird, to me, notion that Playstation has to do X, Y, and Z because Phil Spencer dropped some new PR on twitter, it's always a head scratcher. Similar to the notion that the recently released spec sheet has any bearing outside of our discourse.

I want you to actually look at these stats from XBOX official spec release

GbK3GSR.jpg

I'm not going to compare stats on social because they're simply too lopsided. My point across multiple OTs is that there is a gargantuan difference in resonance, momentum, goodwill, and mindshare. Because the only conversation that matters when you step outside of our microcosmic discourse is the actual games. And on that front, Playstation has been unrelenting.

I don't really do Twitter any more, but that seems like a very tiny number of retweets and likes compared to the number of views.

Please be Helldivers 2! I love the first game so much and I think there are a lot of cool ways they could expand it. Heck, I think a sequel could be a really cool co-op FPS.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I'm not going to compare stats on social because they're simply too lopsided. My point across multiple OTs is that there is a gargantuan difference in resonance, momentum, goodwill, and mindshare. Because the only conversation that matters when you step outside of our microcosmic discourse is the actual games. And on that front, Playstation has been unrelenting.
PlayStation has a longer, richer heritage and a larger global fan base than Xbox. I make no argument there.
Yesterday, you said no noise occurred with the news from Xbox. That was factually incorrect as it very obviously captured interest and attention from the tech world. This isn't about brand power or reach, it's about what actually happened. A news story doesn't need to get 5 million likes in order to be acknowledged as relevant.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the worst thread titles in a while. By the way thanks JuanLatino for your hard work...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation has a longer, richer heritage and a larger global fan base than Xbox. I make no argument there.
Yesterday, you said no noise occurred with the news from Xbox. That was factually incorrect as it very obviously captured interest and attention from the tech world. This isn't about brand power or reach, it's about what actually happened. A news story doesn't need to get 5 million likes in order to be acknowledged as relevant.
The moral of the story is all ppl should just stop talking bout Xbox in here(good or bad) cuz there's always gonna be some bias in the conversation because of where it's taking place. That goes for the Xbox and Nintendo first party threads as well

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
The joke is it's OT7. "What's in the box" is a famous moment from the end of the film Seven, by David Fincher. It's stylised as Se7en, hence the tagline. And in this case "what's in the box" relates to the hysteria of the Playstation audience desperate to find out more about the PS5.

I don't really do Twitter any more, but that seems like a very tiny number of retweets and likes compared to the number of views.

Please be Helldivers 2! I love the first game so much and I think there are a lot of cool ways they could expand it. Heck, I think a sequel could be a really cool co-op FPS.
Well that seems oddly specific for a reference and I haven't seen the movie so it falls flat for me, patience is much broader and easily understood. But that doesn't take away much from a great OT. who did the designs for the banners? looks really professional and that bulletin boards is indeed art!

congrats OP and those who contributed!

Oct 27, 2017
Well that seems oddly specific for a reference and I haven't seen the movie so if falls flat for me, patience is much broader and easily understood. But that doesn't take away much from a great OT, who did the designs for the banners looks really professional and that bulletin boards is indeed art!

congrats!

Yeah, if you haven't seen the film then it won't mean much to you. You should watch it though because it's a great film, and don't read anything up or spoil the ending for yourself!

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess sony are wanting a blowout for there reveal event. Not just a ps5 hardware reveal, but acquisitions and demos from polyphony, bluepoint and other unannounced exclusives. Seen as they are not going to be at e3 i think it would make sense to have a lot more happening in there reveal event.

Insomniac was supposed to be the big acquisition financially but ended being pretty cheap, they probably still have quite a bit in the chest for another big one.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yeah, if you haven't seen the film then it won't mean much to you. You should watch it though because it's a great film, and don't read anything up or spoil the ending for yourself!
Will do! Tks for the recommendation

also I would love a playman! I really do hope Sony figures out someway to get back into the portable sphere. Feels incomplete now not having some type of PSP available.

I would love a device that's just for legacy software and streaming stuff from PS5.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Nice OT, OP! Hopefully we will get some news regarding the PS5 during this OT.

I was counting the amount of first party studios that Sony has compared to Microsoft, and its 12 to 15 respectively right now. Sony needs to get more studios to be able to match the same output that MS will have. Come on Sony, give me Kojima Productions, Remedy and any JRPG studio available!

P.S. ads in the site are going crazy. I've been typing this message on my phone and I have gotten like 5 pop ups covering the whole screen. Meaning that I have to exit the text box and close the ad. It's definitely annoying.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria

I was counting the amount of first party studios that Sony has compared to Microsoft, and its 12 to 15 respectively right now. Sony needs to get more studios to be able to match the same output that MS will have. Come on Sony, give me Kojima Productions, Remedy and any JRPG studio available!

P.S. ads in the site are going crazy. I've been typing this message on my phone and I have gotten like 5 pop ups covering the whole screen. Meaning that I have to exit the text box and close the ad. It's definitely annoying.

How you counted 12?

SIEWWS has 14 studios (2 of them support) and eventually one unannounced (the new san diego studio). I am not sure about the new studio in Malaysia. They could be subsidiary of Visual Arts Service Group.
Xbox has 15 studios (2 of them support).

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019

It doesn't mean anything, studios can very well produce more games than another, in particular by having 2 teams in the same studio 👍🏻

I'm not sure Microsoft has more staff than Sony overall.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
13 Worldwide Studios, 14 with the studio in Malaysia but I am not sure that they will make games for the West.

And yes I count XDev since among the 15 XGS studios we count Xbox Global Publisher (same role as XDev)

x45Ey.jpeg

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
13 Worldwide Studios, 14 with the studio in Malaysia but I am not sure that they will make games for the West.

And yes I count XDev since among the 15 XGS studios we count Xbox Global Publisher (same role as XDev)

x45Ey.jpeg

According to SIE, they have 14 studios:

1. Japan Studio
2. Polyphony Digital
3. XDev Europe
4. Media Molecule
5. London Studio
6. Guerrilla Games
7. San Mateo Studio
8. San Diego Studio
9. Santa Monica Studio
10. Bend Studio
11. Pixel Opus
12. Insomniac Games
13. Sucker Punch
14. Naughty Dog

+ New San Diego Studio
+ Forward Works (mobile games)
+ Malaysia Studio (as i said, may be part of VASG)

Xbox has 15 studios. Xbox Global Publishing and Age of Empires Studio (World's Edge?) are support studios.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well that seems oddly specific for a reference and I haven't seen the movie so it falls flat for me, patience is much broader and easily understood. But that doesn't take away much from a great OT. who did the designs for the banners? looks really professional and that bulletin boards is indeed art!

congrats OP and those who contributed!
State of Patience was boring, just like the State of Plays themselves.

Also, you should watch Se7en

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
According to SIE, they have 14 studios:

1. Japan Studio
2. Polyphony Digital
3. XDev Europe
4. Media Molecule
5. London Studio
6. Guerrilla Games
7. San Mateo Studio
8. San Diego Studio
9. Santa Monica Studio
10. Bend Studio
11. Pixel Opus
12. Insomniac Games
13. Sucker Punch
14. Naughty Dog

+ New San Diego Studio
+ Forward Works (mobile games)
+ Malaysia Studio (as i said, may be part of VASG)

Xbox has 15 studios. Xbox Global Publishing and Age of Empires Studio (World's End?) are support studios.
San Mateo did what?

Forward Works don't make console games so I don't count it =)

And yes I was wrong image, it is not up to date: 14 with Insomniac Games.

aKOny.jpeg

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

x45Ey.jpeg
Nice pic, but just a few things:
- I know people don't like it, but it'd be nice to have eyetoy and singstar for London Studio to show that they have range and are usually focused on peripherals (VR now).
- Might as well include San Mateo if you include XDEV
- Wouldn't a Hellgast be better on the Guerilla pic?
- Reducing Japan Studio to Bloodborne (a game they've barely worked on, unlike the Team Ico games) and Astrobot is extremely reductive, come on.
When this is their oldest studio and they've created tons of beloved IPs like Gravity, Siren, Ape Escape, Patapon, Legend of Dragoon, etc. Might as well just put a pic of Toro there...

edit: beaten for San Mateo.

Status
Not open for further replies.