Status
Not open for further replies.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
The new God of War doesn't look so hot. Huge downgrade on graphics (we needed a faster SSD Mark...) and the new style is a little off.

gow2qdj1a.jpg
Smoke and mirrors. Simply unacceptable.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting more of a feeling Sony will charge 399.99 MSRP for PS5.

It'd be a smart move.
Yeah, its possible if Sony sells the PS5 with a loss.

They did two clear choices on the design of PS5 that shows that they want an affordable console.

The SSD capacity and mainly the APU size. Hence the choice for a small and fast GPU.

Microsoft took similar choices with the Xbox. Divided memory pool and a slower/simpler SSD setup.

If the Xbox Series X is $500 I wouldn't ruled out $450 for the PS5. As ZhugeEX tweeted in the past I believe that indeed the BOM (bill of materials) is similar between the two consoles. Probably a little lower for Sony.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
It seems clear that the SSD focus comes in huge part from first party studios and the constraints that they had to fight against - GG with the flying, SSM with things like the Stranger fight (in the documentary they said they wanted them flung across miles by each punch) and the Yggdrasil hub. And of course Spider-Man swinging around.

And given how good games look right now and even how vast they can feel - I didn't feel slow zipping around in Spider-Man and the fight
on dragonback
crashing through the sky - I can't even imagine how this will play out with more *everything* power-wise AND a crazy SSD for variety.

Next-gen has so much more potential than this gen ever had...and look at what we got on the graphics side! If physics, interactivity, scale, audio etc finally go up as graphics did between last and current gen, well, damn.

oh man don't start with Spider-Man....all these possibilites they have.
exciting times ahead !

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy.

The hardcore were so laser focused on the TFLOP count that as soon as Cerny announced 10.2 FLOPS, they walked away severely disappointed. It's taken the dev community to explain how bespoke the PS5 machine is for them to be like

giphy.gif

Day later.

Meliodas

Apr 7, 2019
I wonder if next gen consoles are going to have some kind of a technique or a feature that allows for removed "deleted" games to still be in the system storage but with a much smaller size (compressed) so you don't have to re-download it again, just select the game you want and the system will unpack it and install it in minutes.

This way I can imagine not a lot of people are going to be concerned about upgrading their SSDs, especially the PS5 with its 825GB. And off course there should be an option to delete games and apps permanently.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what Silent Hill could do with it's normal world and the other world on PS5.

Maybe we can also get a Flash game or a proper Superman game.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to pop in here to say... DO NOT believe or put hope in the rumor about SM2 (found on Reddit). All will be revealed in due time. I trust Insomniac Games with whatever they are currently working on. So should you. 😉
Thanks yeah I don't really expect it out quite that quickly, though I could see them trying to ready a teaser trailer for whenever Sony does their PS5 games reveal event/stream.
Can't wait to see whatever they are doing and also can't wait for a PS5 Rachet (I hope).

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
We won't see what the PS5 actually looks like until it comes out. Or what games will be out for it. The ultimate surprise.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cerny did not reveal any new features so who knows? I'm not getting my hopes on that though.
Cerny talked almost exclusively about the hardware. I think the only software feature they've talked about so far is the option to choose which components (e.g. single or multiplayer only) of the game will be installed to save the precious SSD space.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
At last, BC situation is the same for both consoles

Yup. Wonder how long it takes the media to highlight that MS walked back the "all" (for obvious reasons, just like Sony's language) after not doing their due diligence on checking with Sony regarding PS5 BC if they weren't sure and taking their time to update their articles yesterday when Sony clarified. Now they're both the same, pretty much as expected.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Someone please make a PS5 discussion topic with all the updated stuff and you know facts.

I am not knowledgeable at all in that area.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Sooooo.

Aloy Flying and Spidey swinging are the showcases for SSD not holding back movement speed

New York/HZD's world will showcase freedom in open world design thanks to the SSD

Demon's Souls showcases no load times after death

GT7 and Silent Hill showcase tempest

Any other ideas?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Cerny talked almost exclusively about the hardware. I think the only software feature they've talked about so far is the option to choose which components (e.g. single or multiplayer only) of the game will be installed to save the precious SSD space.
Yeah, which is really cool.
That's true and it wasn't until after those features and the controller in the second Wired article that they confirmed there are a lot of new features they still haven't talked about yet.

If we don't get more indecipherable graphs at the next event then Sony have a lost a customer.
LOL
They'll do the show with Little Big Planet graphs again ;)

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Thanks yeah I don't really expect it out quite that quickly, though I could see them trying to ready a teaser trailer for whenever Sony does their PS5 games reveal event/stream.
Can't wait to see whatever they are doing and also can't wait for a PS5 Rachet (I hope).
You would be surprised. Whatever project they are currently working on, it may come out sooner than what people might think and I can't wait for them to announce it. Insomniac Games are super efficient from what I've seen so far, easily one of my favorite SIE studios. They are super passionate people. 😊

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
You would be surprised. Whatever project they are currently working on, it may come out sooner than what people might think and I can't wait for them to announce it. Insomniac Games are super efficient from what I've seen so far, easily one of my favorite SIE studios. They are super passionate people. 😊
Great to hear! Excited to see what they're working on. One of my favorite studios too, love their stuff! Fantastic addition to PS first party.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
oh man don't start with Spider-Man....all these possibilites they have.
exciting times ahead !

I guess the next final boss fight could be moving around the city at least 😉

Deacon hears rumbling from the forest, you can see snow whirling on top of the trees...
Trees start to collapse and a horde of 3000 freakers is barging towards Deacon destroying everything in its path.

Next-gen please.

3000 Freakers that all have KZ2 like hit reactions and the dismemberment from Doom Eternal!

But fear not, those random houses can be blown up in every which way, just remove a wall with your pipe bomb and slip away before collapsing the building with a remote bomb. Then shot everything that crawls out from under the debris.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
The anxiety from wanting to see some PS5 stuff is killing me. Couple that with all the free time I have because of COVID-19 and you get a person looking at Era, Reddit, Google like every 20 minutes to see if something have popped up. I'm desperate.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
This is a good video, which sums up the problems of all the silence and weard strategy that Sony has been having in recent years.

\

The hope that remains is that they are doing it on purpose, since Sony itself told to shareholders back in 2018 (or 2019?) that they would have a pretty quiet time before the launch of the next console.

Sony definitely needs to be more aggressive going forward.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think it could be really cool if they format the real unveil event for the PS5 such that you see the PS5 UI and each time there is something to showcase they move to the next item and click to start it and it goes straight into the game, to sell the whole 0 loading thing they got, end it all with "all of this ran live on a real PS5 system including the loading times between each boot and those should be representative of the final products"

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Is their strategy thaaat bad though? I see huge excitement for PS5 everywhere, the hour long tech talk trended and has 13+ million views, we're about 8 months away from release and people are still highly anticipating that first console form factor reveal, not to mention the games. Sony has huge momentum.

I agree that the marketing has been weird, but at the same time it seems like it's successful?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Someone please make a PS5 discussion topic with all the updated stuff and you know facts.

I am not knowledgeable at all in that area.

yes please! would be really handy to reset stuff (no pun intended). Too much false information has been spread in some threads.

Demon's Souls showcases no load times after death

I would expect, with all the ssd-hype, that Demon's Souls will have instant teleportation to the various worlds.
Or even cooler, portals through which you can see part of the world, and as you walk through it you enter it without loading (wishful thinking lol)

Is their strategy thaaat bad though? I see huge excitement for PS5 everywhere, the hour long tech talk trended and has 13+ million views, we're about 8 months away from release and people are still highly anticipating that first console form factor reveal, not to mention the games. Sony has huge momentum.

I agree that the marketing has been weird, but at the same time it seems like it's successful?

Personally been ok with their messaging. Don't understand why people's opinion has changed. When the Wired articles were coming people were excited. The logo got plenty attention. It was fascinating to see Mark Cerny explain some of the thinking behind the ps5. And now we can get to the even better bits: the console itself and the games.

I think PS is gonna be just fine...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

its safe to say that quite a few of those 13m werent satisfied with the video and that they could have been better used to generate momentum and hype.
with that said, i dont think that this is the end of the world for them, they just need their real PS5 showing to be an awesome one and go all out.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR

When you know you're creating hype, you better deliver something as good as people expect, or you can completely lose the confidence of those ones. Sony spending six months in silence has only made people believe that no matter what they are going to do next, it will be a giant thing. And the common sense about the "Road to PS5" thing that it was not good.

Imagine if Marvel Studios spends all those years of planning (which created a lot of hype through the years) for the Avengers Endgame but in the end the movie sucks.

If Sony still wants to stay focused on PS4 for a few more months, as the guy from Gamesindustry.biz said in his article. Wouldn't it be better to be quiet until the right time to reveal the PS5 with fireworks, lightshows and everything? I'm sure they had alternatives for showing all that information to developers.

Last edited:

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
what if the reason they havent shown any games yet is that the generational leap in terms of graphical fidelity is barely noticeable (and would require one of those DF videos that they zoom in 4 times to show you it looks better), and there are no games that truly takes advantage of the fast ssd yet?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
what if the reason they havent shown any games yet is that the generational leap in terms of graphical fidelity is barely noticeable (and would require one of those DF videos that they zoom in 4 times to show you it looks better), and there are no games that truly takes advantage of the fast ssd yet?
No way,they are just taking their time,the first games will already looks way better than what we have today,unless is all cross gen game,so this can happen.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

On Thursday someone said that Bluepoint's game is going to be a real looker with its ray tracing and shinobi posted this as a response

Given the studios working on the PS5 already and the obvious tech leap, it'd be bizarre for the visual leap to not be blatantly obvious.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't expect anything more this month to be honest. Sony said "more info in the coming months"

Actually, we should be getting more info on PS5 pretty soon but from Digital Foundry and it's only going to be even more technical than the last time.

With that in mind, we'll be presenting our content in two chunks. Today, we'll be looking at what we've learned from Sony's video broadcast, and a little further on down the road, we'll go deeper and share even more detail around the central pillars.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I have finally started playing Bloodborne, and got up to the Cleric Beast

Holy shit you guys on Era weren't kidding, this game is fucking awesome.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I have finally started playing Bloodborne, and got up to the Cleric Beast

Holy shit you guys on Era weren't kidding, this game is fucking awesome.

I tried a little and stopped because I thought it was not my type of game (I never really liked the SoulsBorne style). I'm thinking of trying back, because I've seen a lot of people who shared the same opinion and ended up changing after insisting.

Status
Not open for further replies.