• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
but they showed off gameplay 3 years ago sanji!!/s
source.gif

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be neat if Insomniac released a budget priced ($10-$20) PSN collection of their four mobile games (Outernauts, Fruit Fusion, Bad Dinos, and Digit Dash). Of the four, I think all but Outernauts (published by EA) were self-published by Insomniac, so they (and now Sony) should hold the rights to them. Another self-published game they could add is Slow Down, Bull, which, despite being a Steam release, would fit in well with the collection. Even though they are mobile games, it's a shame that (not included Slow Down, Bull) none of those games are available anymore (at least on iOS). It's always sad when a developer's game is forever lost to time.

Also, they've made two AR games for Magic Leap One. With Oculus Quest (and Rift S) having Passthrough (a feature allowing you to see your room while still inside your headset, albeit in low resolution black and white), I think it would be neat if the next PSVR took this idea and upped the quality, which could allow PSVR to become both a VR and AR headset. This would allow Insomniac to keep working on both VR and AR, which are things they seemed interested in.

Oct 25, 2017
Folks just already prepared to be upset by TLOU2 and GOTY discussions months before the fact.

HbgEPAG.gif
2020 GOTY Discussions Club rules:
#1: You do not talk about the GOTY discussions club
#2: You DO NOT talk about the GOTY discussions club
#3: If someone says "SJW agenda" or something racist, the discussion is over
#4: Only discuss about TLOU2 and Cyberpunk 2077
#5: Do NOT bring other games to the discussion
#6: You have to use memes, or you're out
#7: Discussions will continue as long as they have to (read: forever)
#8: If this is your first time in the thread, you HAVE to discuss about GOTYs (basically you're trapped forever)

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So here's where i'm at.

PS5 gets delayed to March 2021: Bummer, but that's not too bad, i can wait. Better safe than sorry.

PS5 gets delayed to holiday 2021 AND a bunch of PS5 games get delayed to holiday 2021 because devs are working from home:

giphy.gif

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
They've acknowledged the lack of bosses. It seemed to just come down to them simultaneously working this new formula as well as coming up with boss fights.

It mostly comes down to time and costs of developing a dedicated set piece boss fight. I mean just think about the final fight or against Hræzlyr so much content thats just used one time for 10 minutes of gameplay. Still sequel needs more of them.

You're like the only person who thinks that this is a stupid move.

No, I think its bizarre, too.

As for financial viability, I don't care about Sony's financial numbers, I care about them wasting developers and money that could be used to potentially make games I care about.

This is the real travesty. After this generation Sony has more than enough money to provide each of us with something we like.

I absolutely get where you are coming from and Im also wishing for a big budget JRPG from Sony but as a plattform holder its understandable that Sony is not able to concentrate solely on their own IP like third party publishers can.
External division such as senior producer Kentaro Motomura who was assistant producer on Wild Arms since WA3. His contact with MediaVision is still strong and like Scott Rohde said to Colin Moriarty at PSX 2015: "We will never retire an IP". He is now head of internal development of PlayStation WWS. On PS4 he was president of SCEA WWS and Shu was president of WWS. That means Scott Rohde is now controlling all studios and not just in US region.

MediaVision was looking for new character artists in July 2018 who can properly draw models of people (humans). It said for a PlayStation RPG. Their company had 156 people since April last year.

I guess you'll enjoy what Vergeben has said about Media.Vision :P

I really hope the horse has no major part to play fighting colossi other than just getting me to there areas.
Oh boy.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
That's totally false, after one year, Alien Isolation sold only 2.1 million copies and it was not enough for SEGA to continue the series at all, and i don't blame them.
They released a very good game on 5 platforms in 2014 and 2.1 million copies is a poor number after 1 year for an "AAA" production.

Football Manager is being developed by an entirely different team and the studio working on Alien Isolation was created at Creative Assembly to tackle only Alien and the Total War series was not meddling with the franchise since CA has several teams working on several Total War games for years.

Even then, the 2.1 million copies were not sold at full price at all, especially on PC.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Sega laments "weak" game sales even as hard numbers rise

Sega boosted its packaged software sales by 41 per cent in the financial year ended in March, though that 12.3 million …
First of all: could we, please, just say it's inaccurate information? It's hard at times to interpret the tone of a message and as I read it, I'm not sure if you're accusing me or simply questioning the content. Now, on to the topic, the numbers you're linking belong to the financial year finished in March '15, which is less than six months after release, not a whole year as you've repeated twice. That single data changes the conversation enough to frame those numbers under a different light.

Following that point, I didn't say CA is the developer behind Football Manager, nor that it was developed within the company by the same team responsible of Total War; they were examples of the sort of project that SEGA as a whole or CA in particular tend to pursue. I concede a possible lack of clarity in the text, but the affirmation is equally valid, in my opinion: that SEGA (and CA by extension) favor a certain kind of production over other more risky scenarios.

As for the general context of my message, I was going by these words from CA studio director Tim Heaton, which I quote right here:

"2.1 million sales? It just didn't break out," Heaton explains. "Am I happy about that? I'm not happy about that, right. I think it did under-index in America. I think the genre just didn't shine with an audience that would let us break out. 2 million is fine, right - let's be clear - but we were unsure right till the very end about whether we would hit that break out space or not.

"Making a AAA console game is bloody hard. We absolutely sweated blood for that game, we came through, and felt really happy at the end of it.

"Alien: Isolation 2 is not out of the question, because we're so proud of it and there's possibly more to be said. But do we really want to be spending very significant amounts of money, and getting close to break-even or just about in the black? That's not where Sega wants to be, when we have a brilliant portfolio of other games that do great business."

There's also this couple of lines by Jurgen Post, back then Sega Europe CEO:

Here, we can glimpse another possible context for Sega allowing its most experienced AAA console team to create a game for another company. Alien: Isolation was, after all, far from an unqualified success, selling 2.11 million units in a six month period that Sega's management described as "weak" in terms of unit sales. Post claims that the game's sales in that period were, "close to expectation, as in maybe we're achieving 85 per cent," and that Europe proved a stronger market than North America. He also believes that the game will enjoy a long tail on digital platforms, and he is probably correct.

Let's keep in mind it's not unusual for these big companies to be underwhelmed by multi-million selling games, only because they had set expectations much higher or due to a costly development; it's what occurred, as you'll remember, when Square-Enix rebooted Tomb Raider for a new generation. Faced with an identical trouble, they decided to insist with the series and develop new sequels, meanwhile, SEGA moved on from the Alien IP (Switch port aside, five years later).

I don't call into question their initial disappointment, but as you see above, it's also pretty evident, coming from the sources themselves, that the risky AAA environment was in the end an equal or bigger motive for the publisher to pass on the project and focus on surer formulas. In fact, it's in that same interview where it's said that the Alien team (or what was left of it, after many designers leaving) was behind the new Halo Wars project, putting that big and expensive team at the service of an external project paid by another company.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
I wonder at what point does coronavirus start affecting the release dates of games. I don't think TLOU2 or Ghost are safe from another delay. Especially if employees start having to work remote.

Oct 26, 2017
First of all: could we, please, just say it's inaccurate information? It's hard at times to interpret the tone of a message and as I read it, I'm not sure if you're accusing me or simply questioning the content. Now, on to the topic, the numbers you're linking belong to the financial year finished in March '15, which is less than six months after release, not a whole year as you've repeated twice. That single data changes the conversation enough to frame those numbers under a different light.

Following that point, I didn't say CA is the developer behind Football Manager, nor that it was developed within the company by the same team responsible of Total War; they were examples of the sort of project that SEGA as a whole or CA in particular tend to pursue. I concede a possible lack of clarity in the text, but the affirmation is equally valid, in my opinion: that SEGA (and CA by extension) favor a certain kind of production over other more risky scenarios.

As for the general context of my message, I was going by these words from CA studio director Tim Heaton, which I quote right here:

There's also this couple of lines by Jurgen Post, back then Sega Europe CEO:

Let's keep in mind it's not unusual for these big companies to be underwhelmed by multi-million selling games, only because they had set expectations much higher or due to a costly development; it's what occurred, as you'll remember, when Square-Enix rebooted Tomb Raider for a new generation. Faced with an identical trouble, they decided to insist with the series and develop new sequels, meanwhile, SEGA moved on from the Alien IP (Switch port aside, five years later).

I don't call into question their initial disappointment, but as you see above, it's also pretty evident, coming from the sources themselves, that the risky AAA environment was in the end an equal or bigger motive for the publisher to pass on the project and focus on surer formulas. In fact, it's in that same interview where it's said that the Alien team (or what was left of it, after many designers leaving) was behind the new Halo Wars project, putting that big and expensive team at the service of an external project paid by another company.

"2.1 million sales? It just didn't break out," Heaton explains. "Am I happy about that? I'm not happy about that, right. I think it did under-index in America. I think the genre just didn't shine with an audience that would let us break out. 2 million is fine, right - let's be clear - but we were unsure right till the very end about whether we would hit that break out space or not.

This tells you everything, if you spend 3 years building an "AAA" game with a much bigger budget than anything you have ever done, build new technology for it and ship the project on 5 platforms and with 2.1 million you are barely breaking even, no wonder they didn't make another one and they didn't purse with the Alien franchise.

Let's not forget another money sink called Alien Colonial Marines and the cancellation of Obsidian Alien RPG.
If the Alien name and a high quality title only managed to sell 2.1 million copies on 5 platforms you can't blame SEGA for not doing a sequel.

2.1 million is less than Total War Rome II numbers, spending more than a Total War game to sell the same amount is not a smart business decision.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been a big fan of Battle royales outside of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale that is or Call of Duty, but the Call of Duty Battle Royale games have been a blast to play, and my absolute favorite Battle royale out there. A part of me would like to see an Assassin's Creed Battle Royale game. Stealth your way to victory and be the top assassin. I miss Assassin's Creed multiplayer.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a big fan of Battle royales outside of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale that is or Call of Duty, but the Call of Duty Battle Royale games have been a blast to play, and my absolute favorite Battle royale out there. A part of me would like to see an Assassin's Creed Battle Royale game. Stealth your way to victory and be the top assassin. I miss Assassin's Creed multiplayer.

Absolutely agreed, a big factor is how good the gun play is compared to Fortnite and PUBG.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I wonder at what point does coronavirus start affecting the release dates of games. I don't think TLOU2 or Ghost are safe from another delay. Especially if employees start having to work remote.
Actually those games will probably be fine, those games are still launching very soon, so they will probably be doing stuff that dont need a lot of strict supervising for the direction and can be done via remote work.

I am more interested in seeing what will happen with games like cyberpunk and avengers who still have quite a few months to go.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Video games certainly isn't the most important thing right now. But it's some good escapism I suppose, so what is everyone playing right now?

Currently going through Yakuza Kiwami 2 and man what a game it is.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I was playing Yakuza :( I finished 7 not too long ago and I always make sure I take a break between diving into another one. But more often it feels like I feel like I force myself not to play another one too soon else nothing gets done! Right now I'm alternating between Sundered on my PS4 (gorgeous 2D action game) and Afrika on my PS3 (a wonderfully relaxing game unlike anything else I've really played). Not sure what'll happen to my copy of Doom this week, worst case scenarios are I'll either just grab it digital or wait. Don't really mind either way.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely agreed, a big factor is how good the gun play is compared to Fortnite and PUBG.
Definitely. Call of Duty has the best gunplay when it comes to battle royales. Apex was a step up from Fortnite but I couldn't get into that one either. I forget why I couldn't get into Apex. It's been so long since I last played it. The only reason I can think of for why Fortnite got so popular was because it was free. The game plays like shit. Not a fan of the art style either. Warzone is definitely a game I'll be playing with my brother when he gets back from California. This is the first time I've actually liked Activisions output. Good Crash and Spyro games, good Call of Duty games, Sekiro, hopefully a good Diablo IV game. Hopefully it stays that way.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
So seems that Silent Hill rumor actually has some validity to it.
Does that mean Sony is going to hire Ikumi Nakamura to work on the characters design?

Didn't DriftingSpirit once hinted at it?

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Video games certainly isn't the most important thing right now. But it's some good escapism I suppose, so what is everyone playing right now?

Currently going through Yakuza Kiwami 2 and man what a game it is.
I want to play death stranding so i can finish it, but tv is taken all the time so... nothing.. My two 8 yo daughters are playing BOTW and Pokemon on their switches 😅

Oct 25, 2017
Yep I remember now. You said on discord or here, don't remember the exact place that you said it, but you said after she visited a Sony studio that she one day will work there.

Once again Drift been playing chess while the rest of us been playing Tic-Tac-Toe.
Oh, is that what happened? My memory seems to be failing me..

🚶‍♂️

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
You guys remember a long long time ago when some people were truly concerned regarding Sony bowing out of events due to the corona virus, and questioning if that was 'really the reason' or not.

Good ole days I tell ya

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Now the rumor of silent hill got expanded to Sony buying MGS, SH and Castlevania IP's from konami 😂 Never change internet.

You guys remember a long long time ago when some people were truly concerned regarding Sony bowing out of events due to the corona virus, and questioning if that was 'really the reason' or not.

Good ole days I tell ya
they got a lot of crap online for skipping GDC, but GDC was only supposed to start tomorrow and looking at the state of everything, holding it would have been disastrous. Sony rightfully went with a worst case scenario approach to coronavirus early on and they were right.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
they got a lot of crap online for skipping GDC, but GDC was only supposed to start tomorrow and looking at the state of everything, holding it would have been disastrous. Sony rightfully went with a worst case scenario approach to coronavirus early on and they were right.

Even PAX was the right decision. The Boston mayor even tried to get them to reconsider. But at the same time that PAX was going on there was also a Biogen conference going on in Boston. Now the majority of cases for coronavirus in Massachusetts is directly linked to that conference.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Lmao just seen the "Sony is looking to buy SH+MGS+Castlevania from Konami" rumor that is getting shared. Bullshit, can't believe some are falling for this.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
An account called "jackofallcontrollers". Never heard of them before, but I've seen it gaining traction.

edit: ah lol, apparently based on 4chan then. Would make no sense based on Konami's financial health and how they can make money by just licensing/outsourcing like they did in the past. They've said plenty of times they don't want to leave gaming.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
This tells you everything, if you spend 3 years building an "AAA" game with a much bigger budget than anything you have ever done, build new technology for it and ship the project on 5 platforms and with 2.1 million you are barely breaking even, no wonder they didn't make another one and they didn't purse with the Alien franchise.

Let's not forget another money sink called Alien Colonial Marines and the cancellation of Obsidian Alien RPG.
If the Alien name and a high quality title only managed to sell 2.1 million copies on 5 platforms you can't blame SEGA for not doing a sequel.

2.1 million is less than Total War Rome II numbers, spending more than a Total War game to sell the same amount is not a smart business decision.
Of course, and I agree with this reflection of yours, which is essentially why (though it might be a discussion about words) I sustain that not going forward with a sequel had a lot to do with Isolation not selling "enough" to justify more investment from SEGA, rather than it doing "bad" or bombing, as said some pages ago. Something that, in any case, I understand and has its point of reason, because of those first reactions by the publisher, but I think the picture behind the scenes was a bit more complex, exactly like these interviews from back then help to describe.

Perhaps, if instead of SEGA it had been another publisher, more used to big AAA productions and its heavy costs, the series could have gone on. But certainly, the expense would have been important, the gamble too big; SIE or Microsoft could do it; other publishers? Highly doubtful. While writing to you, I remembered a similar story about Dead Space's demise, how after DS 2 sold more than 4 million units (a figure I'd bet money Isolation passed, whatever the price), it wasn't enough to cover the budget so EA asked for a new direction; from there DS 3 was designed and the series faded away. When even a giant publisher like EA cannot face this situation, absolutely, I don't expect SEGA to do but what they decided.

Still, and I think it was the original point by the people in this thread, I believe there's a place for AAA horror games in the market. They're might be hard to sell if they're not named Resident Evil; from Bethesda to SEGA or EA, many have tried yet nobody found the formula to create a durable series. I think Silent Hill might have a very good chance, if budget is kept under control.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I hope there's some truth to the rumors. Buying or Licensing Konami's IP's is a lot more exciting than Studio Acquisitions for me.

Would straight up probably be the most hyped I've ever been about Sony Japan since BloodBorne.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Maaaan, KH3's control scheme is so dumb. It's gonna take me a while to get used to it. I wish it controlled more like FF7R.

Edit: I forgot the accessibility settings. I will try and setup the buttons to something that makes more sense.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Please for the love of Kos don't tell me anyone in this damn thread believes that Castlevania+ MGS+Silent Hill rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.