Status
Not open for further replies.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
Just curious did this years Xbox Showcase convince any playstation fans to pick up a Xbox console? I was thinking of making a thread but will just ask here . I game on PC exclusively so just curious
The games I was really interested in were all third party so not really. But even if there were first party games I'm interested in, with how things are going I would have just waited for their ports.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious did this years Xbox Showcase convince any playstation fans to pick up a Xbox console? I was thinking of making a thread but will just ask here . I game on PC exclusively so just curious
I was entertaining the idea of buying an Xbox this August, but after the showcase it's a wait and see. Since most of the games are 2025 releases. I'll be purchasing a PS5 Pro instead.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Nothing really there that interested me, outside of maybe Fable, though that's still sitting in the position "can you just show me how this fucking game plays yet?"

Everything else was just a new coat of polish on games I'm not a fan of.

That said, I have a PC, so I wouldn't be buying an Xbox anyway.

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
Nope. The only exclusives that interest me are South of Midnight and Fable. Two games aren't enough for me to buy another console when I already don't have the time to play as much as I want. The other exclusive that caught my eye the year prior was HiFi-Rush and it ended up being ported. So who knows the two games I mentioned might not remain exclusive anyway.

Ludi_Ludere

May 2, 2021
Shinoby already said that Sony have a few big games planned for 2025 on top of D2. We just have to wait when they are gonna reveal them.

A show in September with these games running on the Pro is probably a good Guess.

Like I said, there's a few big ones planned for next year on top of Death Stranding 2. Totoki confirmed that too. I don't know when they'll announce them at the moment, but I suspect there could be another event later in the year, we'll see. I'll probably hear more later.
Yeah, I am very doubtful about Shinobi saying Sony has few big games for 2025, he considers Ronin and Stellarblade big games from Sony for this year. So I'm guessing he's most likely talking about stuff like that. Unless you're a real enthusiast PS gamer, those are not big Sony games. All Totoki said is that FY25 would be better than this year first-party wise. They could drop D2 in fall 2025, Ghost 2 in spring 2026 and that statement would be essentially correct lol.

Sony sequels have typically taken 5 years so there's no massive reason to think Ghost 2 can't make next year

Cory has been working on some game since 2019, and is now apparently in full production so 2026 is very realistic for that game

You're also ignoring the elephant in the room which are the cancellations. Games that most likely would've released by the end of 2025 are:
The Last of Us Online
PixelOpus Animated Game
Deviations New IP
Star Wars: KOTOR Remake
Twisted Metal

That's basically a year's worth of AAA games which is a huge blow to any publisher
Well depends when Ghost 2 hit proper dev, 2020 or 2021? If its 2021, your looking at 2026 for 5yrs of development. Cory's game being 2026 seems quite hopeful, I would love it. But signs show that they aren't a 2 studio team, so your looking at dev starting after ragnarok, if that's 5yrs then your looking at a possible PS6 title in 2027.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
Xbox showcase is so good. Happy that they are learning and showing games which people always wanted from Xbox. Sony should really deliver on the next showcase whenever that will be

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017

No…and it's not that they don't have interesting games, it's just now that the floodgates have been open I'm just gonna wait and see what MS titles just get ported over. If anything I'll just get the next iteration of the Steam Deck and play MS games there if they don't come to the PS5/Switch 2.

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
Hell no, Nothing they showed is such a big event game that warrants getting a whole new system just to play it, and even if that was the case, I can, in theory just wait it out, Phil just said that they are going to bring more and more games to other platforms so the way I see it is if the game is great, good for them I will play it when it comes out on PS and probably a better version too.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
It didn't for me. The games I was interested in were confirmed multi-platform, and for any first party games there's always the chance they'll bring them to PlayStation too.

TheSantry

Dec 25, 2017
Not really. It was a great showcase but none of the "exclusives" shown were Xbox sellers especially with the recent PS5 ports. I'll just wait for PS5 ports of the games that caught my eye.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017

I have a great gaming PC. There's no point. Plus, some of the upcoming exclusives still may come to the PS5 in the future. While PS5 isn't my primary system (it's PC), PS5 is #2.

I just want Sony to show a bit more in each of their showings/State of Plays and so on. Keep people in a bit more of a loop.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
No. But I mean, Most of us here is aware of MS's new multi-platform strategy & their accelerated next gen Xbox plans already.

If it weren't for that, then maybe an Xbox would've been appealing to me the closer we are to either OD, Fable, or Blade's release.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Finally sitting down & relaxed to watch some new trailers + giving my thoughts.

ASSASSIN'S CREED SHADOWS
Look good & little bit let down that the art direction is not close to beautiful Tsushima, but I digress it's gonna be still great to look at.
The both characters gameplay was 'similar' in a way Jin Sakai doing stealthy Ghost or stratight forward Samurai, but Naoe & Yasuke have their own moves + I like how Yasuke's heavy impact in the battle.
The last part of the trailer was similar black & white to Tsushima's Kurosawa mode, but with bright red blood.

INDIANA JONES AND THE GREAT CIRCLE
Looks... OK.
Wished it have more gameplay to show. 🤷‍♂️
Another reminder for no new Uncharted up till now...

CLAIR OBSCUR: EXPEDITION 33
Now this is one I don't expect at all.
A WRPG similar to JRPG's turned based battle with UIs reminescence of Like A Dragon & Persona.
Looks great.

METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER
Looks great.
Using modern Metal Gear & third-person gameplay, new animation.
I kinda hoped they have new cut-scenes & not using 1:1 with the original game.
And I haven't get used to The Boss face yet. 🤷‍♂️

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, more headache than joy, for me. lol

The industry is currently suffering from a surplus of games yet most don't sell enough issue, and we have folks lamenting not knowing what games are coming in 2025 and beyond.

Meanwhile, the 2024 games are like, "Do I mean nothing to you?!"

I'd find it funny if our literal livelihoods weren't in legitimate peril when we don't sell enough units to keep the studio running. And this is true of the big and small studios alike. The industry desperately needs to expand its reach.

It's why so many of the big publishers and platform holders are dipping their toes into other areas like film, television, toys, merchandizing, etc, etc. And the smaller studios just hope that word of mouth or a popular influencer gets wind of their game and covers it on their channels.

Like I said, it'd be funny if the situation wasn't so dire across the board.

But hey, lets handwring over what the multi-billion dollar corporation is gonna do about their "dry spell" in 2024 and lack of "hype announcements" for an event that will be forgotten in anticipation of the next one before the weekend is over. LOL

Good grief.

🫂

Do not worry friend, I shall point and laugh at them for the both of us 😋

Heh, indeed it is absolutely hilarious to see folks lamenting about not knowing what's further into the future when we're eating great right now and will continue to eat well til the end of the year. Sony has earned the benefit of the doubt to announce on their own time table when they're ready.

May 3, 2024

I have bought 1 game full price in the last 2 years. And there is still too many games to play.

I'm not going to buy another $500 console when PS+ is constantly throwing games at me each month, and half my gaming time is being taken up by existing live services.

If a good game comes out on xbox I experience FOMO for 3 days, before the hype cycle switches to something else and I forgot that game ever existed.

Troian

May 24, 2021
Nah, at the end of the day they were just game trailers, let's wait to see these games come out first. I remember the hype for games like watch dogs and cyberpunk. Not saying these games are going to turn out like that, what im trying to say is I'm not going to drop hundreds on the potential of a game being good. And if they are I do have a gaming pc so I'm good.

Also like others have said there's just so many games, I play the occasional new game but I'm mostly playing old games I never got the chance to play before and sometimes even replaying some of my favourites. I'm not starving for games lol.

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
do we think Marathon is releasing next year? If so, I expect Marathon and Horizon MP to launch next year, givens Sony's comments on their GaaS initiative.

Then I expect Death Stranding 2 (obviously), Venom, and Ghost of Tsushima 2, maybe Bluepoints game. In total 6 main new games, not counting remakes or remasters.

This yeah had 6 as well, Stellar Blade, Concord, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Astro Bot, and Lego Horizon. (Not counting MLB).

I might also be discounting an Xdev project not yet announced.

I do not think Firesprite's game is coming out next year.

Oct 1, 2019
I mainly play on PS4 and PC but I also have a PS5 and Switch. Yeah. I'm seriously thinking about getting a Series S because of that showcase.

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
Yeah, I am very doubtful about Shinobi saying Sony has few big games for 2025, he considers Ronin and Stellarblade big games from Sony for this year. So I'm guessing he's most likely talking about stuff like that. Unless you're a real enthusiast PS gamer, those are not big Sony games. All Totoki said is that FY25 would be better than this year first-party wise. They could drop D2 in fall 2025, Ghost 2 in spring 2026 and that statement would be essentially correct lol.

Well depends when Ghost 2 hit proper dev, 2020 or 2021? If its 2021, your looking at 2026 for 5yrs of development. Cory's game being 2026 seems quite hopeful, I would love it. But signs show that they aren't a 2 studio team, so your looking at dev starting after ragnarok, if that's 5yrs then your looking at a possible PS6 title in 2027.
Cory's game will be on PS5. He started to work on the new IP before PS5 launch. Will be on PS5

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that probably most of the Xbox stuff is coming to PS, they really pivoted at the moment where their offering is actually cool. 🤔Game Pass will be the main difference, guess PS game sales are going to fund that.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
do we think Marathon is releasing next year? If so, I expect Marathon and Horizon MP to launch next year, givens Sony's comments on their GaaS initiative.

Then I expect Death Stranding 2 (obviously), Venom, and Ghost of Tsushima 2, maybe Bluepoints game. In total 6 main new games, not counting remakes or remasters.

This yeah had 6 as well, Stellar Blade, Concord, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Astro Bot, and Lego Horizon. (Not counting MLB).

Shinobi said we should expect a few big tittles besides Death Stranding 2. I think you hit the nail with Venom and Horizon Online, but I have lots of doubts with the third game. I think Ghost 2 is a 2026 release and Bluepoint's game is not ready yet.

September couldn't come sooner

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A couple of years ago, yeah, this showcase would have probably force me to buy an xbox. But now with the possibility of some (most?) games coming out on the ps5? No. I'll wait 1-2 years to see which ports they announce.

bleits

Oct 14, 2023

Some artist wrote on his resumee that Firesprite's game is for 2025. And since it's probably Until Dawn 2 it would make sense, remake this year, sequel next. So add Until Dawn 2 but remove Venom 2027 and Ghost of Tsushima 2 2026.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I am very doubtful about Shinobi saying Sony has few big games for 2025, he considers Ronin and Stellarblade big games from Sony for this year.
Well, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade are AAA games, no matter how you slice it.

But no, I wasn't referring to stuff like that. I meant from major first party teams.

Ludi_Ludere

May 2, 2021
Well, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade are AAA games, no matter how you slice it.

But no, I wasn't referring to stuff like that. I meant from major first party teams.
my job is done

but on a side note, I know what you mean, they are AAA games, but I also assume you know what I mean when I say they aren't those ones.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Stole from discord

Captura_de_ecra_2024-06-10_065724.png

Hype stuff

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
Some artist wrote on his resumee that Firesprite's game is for 2025. And since it's probably Until Dawn 2 it would make sense, remake this year, sequel next. So add Until Dawn 2 but remove Venom 2027 and Ghost of Tsushima 2 2026.

Venom coming 4 years after Spider-Man 2 would be crazy. 2026 summer latest, I can see Ghost being 2026 depending on the scope.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
good to see you still posting, but you're an old timer. You know better. Era doesn't actually play games lol

Only folks in the OTs actively play. This thread is for hype and industry talk ;-)

I agree tho I expected a little less negativity since that was essentially a multi platform showcase and Sony has hardware in the works which guarantees more showcases. Feel like 2025 is the year the wow games come, but /2024 is turning out to be crazy good.

Thank you! And LOL, so true! I almost forgot where I was XD XD

I barely have much time to play games myself, and this past week I actually spent it catching up on some old TV shows I never got around to finishing (just finished Battlestar Galactica earlier tonight!)
The real issue I'm struggling with is what to actually play. I have too many games on my list, and I just bought or added a bunch more over the past few months. I'm currently jumping between Tales of Kenzeru, Stellar Blade, Dragon's Dogma 2, System Shock, Dredge, Persona 3: Reload, Rise of the Ronin, Alan Wake 2 (bought it last week with the sale), Animal Well, Eiyuden Chronicles, Ghostwire Tokyo, Pentiment, and I still have Baldur's Gate 3, Hi Fi Rush, Octopath Traveller 2 (though I'm going to play the first instead, since it's finally released on PS5), Persona 5 Strikers and Tactica, Sea of Stars, Soul Hackers 2, Unicorn Overlord, and a bunch of other indies waiting in the wings.

And that's just on my PS5, and not my full backlog! I have a bunch of games on my Switch and Series X I have yet to get to as well.

Whenever I sit down and have time to game, I'm hit with choice paralysis and it takes me a bit to finally pick one. I get maybe 2 or 3 hours after work to game thanks to working from home, but most of my free gaming time is on the weekends, though I spend most of that catching up on sleep lol

Yet again another great post. I also feel like the announcement structure between Sony and Microsoft is fundamentally different, so having the same expectations for PlayStation events (which are usually scant on information upon initial reveal) versus Xbox events (which inundate you with information) is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Sony has a very good, well-populated 2024 lineup with a game releasing in every quarter (almost on a monthly basis) despite not having the greatest show of fake E3. That's just a fact. They are projecting higher revenue from their first party software next year, which would make sense if a tentpole release such as a Ghost of Tsushima sequel were to ship next year. We have a good generation and I think everyone keeps setting themselves up for disappointment by constantly seeking the big reveal every time these companies have events. Hype culture is exhausting.

Thank you so much!

There's also an element of market position to consider when it comes to how Sony and Microsoft navigate these events. Microsoft is in a position where they really, really have to highlight why people should jump into the Xbox ecosystem, so highlighting a bunch of games, even ones that are further out, makes sense.

PlayStation is currently outselling the Xbox 2 to 1, and it has had a steady stream of quality exclusives releasing since the PS5 launched in 2020. There's also their 3rd party obligations they have to work with. They know that first party titles aren't the sole reason people are getting PS5's (though it's certainly a factor), and there are more third party and independent games releasing every quarter compared to First Party titles. It's just good business to highlight those games, and give them the spotlight so the wider PlayStation audience can see all the cool shit coming, or available now. Whether it be games from the big publishers like EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix, etc, or their partner projects like with Team Ninja and Rise of the Ronin, and Shift Up with Stellar Blade. As well as the cool indies and other titles they've been securing for PS+ like Dave the Diver and Dredge.

Sony has a very privileged position in the industry, in that when they do a State of Play, or a Showcase, lots of people watch. That's the perfect place to give some other games a time to shine that aren't just first party.

I mean, they could hog all the attention and just fill a show with first party announcements, whether they be releasing this year, or in 1-2+ years, but all that'll do is disappoint their 3rd party and partner studios/publishers, who could certainly use more of a push than the latest ND game announcement in terms of generating buzz.

The issue is that so many gamers are incredibly dismissive of smaller scale games, while also wanting Sony to develop those same kinds of A-AA budget themselves. It's, honestly, absurd.

As someone who's been gaming for a long, long time, I can't tell you how cool it is to have so many studios existing in the industry, making all sorts of games of all scales and genre types.

Sony doesn't need to cover every single area of development. They can simply partner with studios that are making those types of games, or they can work with 3rd party publishers to make sure that those games are still hitting the PlayStation consoles.

It's not like it was in the PS360 era, where quite a few games were only on 360 for quite a while, and the multi-platform games tended to run worse on the PS3 because of how difficult it was to develop for.

Now, pretty much every 3rd party game hits PlayStation, usually first, or after a short exclusivity window on the other platforms, and performance is pretty much equal across the board.

For real! We just had an incredibly stacked Q1 and still a good amount of games to come out this year and just because MS had a great showing of a conference some think PlayStation is now back on the doom seat?

There's just so much to play I can't imagine anyone that has completely played every game that we're even slightly interested in. I guess I'm easy to please as there's so much out there for me I can wait till whenever PlayStation drops the 1st party hammer!

I'm struggling with just Destiny and FF VII right now!!!

Ugh, I feel that! I did manage to beat FFVII: Rebirth and Prince of Persia at least, so I was able to knock 2 games off my list earlier this year! Now I just need to figure out what to tackle next. I hate that I love RPGs and open world games so much, because those are the ones I like to sink my teeth into and take my time playing, but they just keep piling up lol.

I'll probably knock out Persona 3: Reload, since I'm pretty far in that one, then Stellar Blade, then Alan Wake 2, since I imagine it's not a super long game, and work my way through some indie games as well.

I own a Series X already, and there were a few games that I found pretty interesting, but I need to double check which ones were exclusive to Xbox, and which ones were multi-plat, and also which ones are for 2024. Some of the ones that I'm looking forward to, like Fable, are 2025 games, which is a bummer. I'm not a big Gears of War fan, so that didn't do anything for me, but, fortunately, there were a lot of games that looked cool. I hope they're 2024, but I need to look into it more

🫂

Do not worry friend, I shall point and laugh at them for the both of us 😋

Heh, indeed it is absolutely hilarious to see folks lamenting about not knowing what's further into the future when we're eating great right now and will continue to eat well til the end of the year. Sony has earned the benefit of the doubt to announce on their own time table when they're ready.

LOL, go for it!

And yeah, there is so much available to play now.

I honestly can't encourage people enough to step out of their comfort zone and try some of these games that may not normally be the kind of games you're into. If the concept, premise, or visual style is interesting to you, it might be worth it to give it a try.

It's honestly how I ended up becoming fans of Roguelikes and Soulslikes.

Back when Demon's Souls released on the PS3, I had written it off as not for me, even though I dug the tone of the trailer. After friends were recommending it to me, and I saw the praise it was getting from other gamers as well, I said, screw it, and gave it a try, and fell in love with it. A From Software and Souls fan was born.

I wasn't interested in Roguelikes until I saw Rogue Legacy, and my love of Metroidvania games, and Rogue Legacy being evocative of those games, led me to give it a go on my Vita, and I fell in love with it, and then started looking for similar or other interesting looking roguelikes to try.

Ditto for games like Vampire Survivors, Death Must Die, Deep Rock Galactic Survivors, and Halls of Torment. I wasn't particularly interested in those, but since I enjoy roguelikes, I gave VS and HoT a try, and loved them, so now I'm all in on that genre.

Visual novels were the same. My first one I ever played was DanganRonpa, because I'm a sucker for mystery stories, and also love premises similar to Battle Royale (love that manga), and I thought the art style was interesting, so I got it for my Vita, and now I'm a fan of the visual novel genre, or games that are within that realm of design.

The point is, I encourage folks to give those games that aren't normally your wheelhouse a try, especially if you have a PS+ or GP subscription, because a lot of those indie titles are available on those services. And even if they aren't, they're usually not super expensive to buy. And supporting the dev with your money is never a bad thing!

Expanding my "gaming palate" has made it where I don't think I've felt a "dry spell" in over a decade. There's always something interesting for me to play, and it makes waiting for the major tentpole releases so much easier to bear.

Last edited:

PSES

Apr 1, 2022

There are people "worried" because Xbox has had a great showcase and they think that Sony will hardly have any games until the generation ends.
I'm sure that Sony will have many great games until the end of the generation, the vast majority of which are in development.

When we see the next from Bend, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, etc., there will be moments like we experienced yesterday at the Xbox showcase when we saw Gears E day, Perfect Dark, Fable, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.