Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

The "prices drop like a rock" thing isn't really true anymore since the PS5 generation began. Prices are steady now. You can still get some good deals if you buy physical media.

But the price isn't really an issue. Cheaper games like Housemarque's Alienation, Matterfall and Nex Machina all flopped.
Cheaper japanese games like rain, or the latest LocoRoco and Patapon games all flopped. Even bigger games like the latest Everybody's Golf flopped.
You already get a massive amount of japanese and western AA indie games. So Sony was looking for japanese AAA games and they also flopped. We keep seeing "I miss Japan Studio and Sony's japanese games" posts everywhere but no one bought these games. People are buying Spider-Man, God of War, Uncharted, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn and TLOU. So Sony is making more of them. The days of Shuhei Yoshida's "We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles..." are over. This strategy worked 10 years ago but now even a smaller AAA game like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart costs over $80 million.

Sony made games like Patapon, rain, LocoRoco, Gravity Rush, Knack 2, Echochrome, Puppeteer, Afrika, The Tomorrow Children and more for several console generation. No one bought them. Sony made two VR headsets and dozens of VR games. Almost no one bought them. Sony made a few smaller and really funny PlayLink games. No one bought them. Sony made a powerful handheld with the Vita and no one bought it. And no, the expensive memory card wasn't the only reason why the Vita failed.

People didn't buy Sony's smaller games, so Sony stopped making them.
People didn't buy Japan Studio's games, so Sony stopped making these games and closed the studio.
People didn't buy the latest PS VR2 headset, so Sony will stop making more of them.
People didn't buy the Vita, so Sony (and even Nintendo after the 3DS' rough start) stopped making handhelds.
People didn't buy Sony's JRPGs, so Sony stopped making more JRPGs.

The people decide. If you stop buying Sony's singleplayer games, Sony will stop making them.
If you stop buying Sony's multiplayer/live-service games, Sony will stop making them.
If you stop buying VR headsets, Sony and Meta are going to stop making them.
If you stop buying consoles, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are going to stop making them.

Put your money where your mouth is.
Right, for 1st party studios at least. Ubi will be Ubi for price drops, and all publishers/studios dont do price drops the same.

Diplo

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I thought Sony was going to have a very lackluster year with no big releases this year. Looks like Sony had a big release after all with Helldivers 2.

I hope Steller Blade proves to be bigger than expected too. Im upset I didnt get a chance to play demo. I really want to try this game out.

Also hoping for more surprises

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
True, but the price has to be right to catch the biggest audience at launch, you can't just rely on uberfans
Helldivers 2 being a shining example of that, I know I wouldn't have give it a shot at the price of a Spider-Man or God of War.

Customers know that PS game prices drop like a rock not even that long after launch and/or get added to PS plus/go to PC, and if you aren't a super fan there's little incentive to buy at launch. They aren't Nintendo who can put out TotK for £70 then refuse to drop it until the next game releases half a decade later and their online offerings are handfuls of NES-N64 titles, not handing out Switch games

PS put themselves in that position and trained the customer to not buy, but to wait. Same with Xbox and Gamepass.
Ok, I finally read the rest of this post and that last line is....whew.

Saying that for PlayStation....all I will say is thats just your opinion.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I wonder if Sony will attempt a handheld again now that everyone seems to be getting into it or are they just going to rely on streaming and remote play for their handheld solution.

People make a big deal about Steam Deck but it has sold worse than the Vita. For Valve they may just have high margins on it and may seem as an additive.

Would not be opposed to Sony doing a PS6 lite in addition to PS6 at launch and give more options. It will limit power in the main console in some ways but no one cares for cutting edge power and not enough devs are utilizing the power today anyways..

Also it would count towards ps6 sales and software support will not be abandoned like vita. Could also maybe make even more inroads in Japan . I think Sony should not abandon it. Before PS5 launched I was totally against Sony limiting ps5 power by doing a handheld too but now I don't care about a massive power jump for ps6. Budgets are crazy as it is. No one is taking advantage of all that power anyways unless it is a 400 million dollar game

Jul 2, 2021
I thought Sony was going to have a very lackluster year with no big releases this year. Looks like Sony had a big release after all with Helldivers 2.

I hope Steller Blade proves to be bigger than expected too. Im upset I didnt get a chance to play demo. I really want to try this game out.

Also hoping for more surprises
A few months ago I made a post about Sony having a dry year in 2024. Similar to 2023. And now look at them.
We have 1st party games like Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and MLB The Show in the first half of the year.
Concord and Astro Bot in the second half of the year. And then there are all these 3rd party exclusives like Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Silent Hill 2, Granblue Fantasy: Relink, Pacific Drive, and more. It's good to see that Sony has a huge multiplayer hit with Helldivers 2. I'm happy for the fans of multiplayer games. Too bad they didn't get a normal TLOU: Factions 2 standalone multiplayer game. TLOU Online was a bad idea. But it's time to move on.
I wonder if Sony will attempt a handheld again now that everyone seems to be getting into it or are they just going to rely on streaming and remote play for their handheld solution.

People make a big deal about Steam Deck but it has sold worse than the Vita. For Valve they may just have high margins on it and may seem as an additive.

Would not be opposed to Sony doing a PS6 lite in addition to PS6 at launch and give more options. It will limit power in the main console in some ways but no one cares for cutting edge power and not enough devs are utilizing the power today anyways..

Also it would count towards ps6 sales and software support will not be abandoned like vita. Could also maybe make even more inroads in Japan . I think Sony should not abandon it. Before PS5 launched I was totally against Sony limiting ps5 power by doing a handheld too but now I don't care about a massive power jump for ps6. Budgets are crazy as it is. No one is taking advantage of all that power anyways unless it is a 400 million dollar game
They won't because no one bought the last Sony handheld.
Nintendo is the champion of handhelds and even they moved on. The Valve Steam Deck is exactly what Sony should do if the handheld fans want another Sony handheld. Make a Steam Deck variant for PlayStation so gamers can play their PS5 games on a handheld in 1080p and 30fps. Or just get a PS Portal. Another handheld like the Vita? No thanks. Sony is already struggling to make enough games for the PS5 console. Look what's happening with the PS VR2. Sony should do it like Nintendo. Focus on one system (PS5) and keep making games for it. Handheld? A "PlayStation Deck" that plays PS5 games, so you don't have to make games for another system.
Before PS5 launched I was totally against Sony limiting ps5 power by doing a handheld too but now I don't care about a massive power jump for ps6. Budgets are crazy as it is. No one is taking advantage of all that power anyways unless it is a 400 million dollar game.
This isn't true. Alan Wake 2 for example is taking advantage of a lot of PS5's power and the total budget (including marketing) was 70 million euros. Sony's studios in California are the problem. It's expensive to run such a huge AAA studio in California.

Last edited:

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
They won't because no one bought the last Sony handheld.
Nintendo is the champion of handhelds and even they moved on. The Valve Steam Deck is exactly what Sony should do if the handheld fans want another Sony handheld. Make a Steam Deck variant for PlayStation so gamers can play their PS5 games on a handheld in 1080p and 30fps. Or just get a PS Portal. Another handheld like the Vita? No thanks. Sony is already struggling to make enough games for the PS5 console. Look what's happening with the PS VR2. Sony should do it like Nintendo. Focus on one system (PS5) and keep making games for it. Handheld? A "PlayStation Deck" that plays PS5 games, so you don't have to make games for another system.

This isn't true. Alan Wake 2 for example is taking advantage of a lot of PS5's power and the total budget (including marketing) was 70 million euros.

Yeah that's what I am saying too. They should release a ps6 handheld too like steam deck. Not the same device like Switch but separate device. It will limit ps6 power potential but it will be worth it imo. They will both run the same games.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a guy yesterday who made over one hundred twitter accounts to harass Insomniac's main account and Insomniac's developers.
Over one hundred accounts! He's insulting them, he posts videos and pictures of the leaked Insomniac data, he even insults the fans who are telling him to stop acting like a maniac.
Why, you ask? Because when Insomniac revealed the Spider-Man 2 trailer in 2021 they didn't announce the release date trailer and they didn't show more footage for over a year. So this guy thinks Insomniac is doing this because they don't care about their fans. He doesn't understand that AAA games take 5 or more years to make and that Sony decides how the marketing starts even though people on twitter tried to explain it to him. Yet he keeps insulting Insomniac and their developers. Then he bought Spider-Man 2 and played/liked it. Now he keeps insulting them because they haven't announced a story expansion in their latest (NG+) update and because they didn't show new Wolverine footage. The cycle continues.

I think he already has over 150 twitter accounts. And he keeps making them. Insomniac developers already stopped blocking him because he keeps making new accounts. Completely I N S A N E. He even uses his real name for his accounts. Delusional stalker behavior.

Social media is the fucking pits .
Something that should be positive for the world end up being one of the worst things in history .

True, but the price has to be right to catch the biggest audience at launch, you can't just rely on uberfans
Helldivers 2 being a shining example of that, I know I wouldn't have give it a shot at the price of a Spider-Man or God of War.

Customers know that PS game prices drop like a rock not even that long after launch and/or get added to PS plus/go to PC, and if you aren't a super fan there's little incentive to buy at launch. They aren't Nintendo who can put out TotK for £70 then refuse to drop it until the next game releases half a decade later and their online offerings are handfuls of NES-N64 titles, not handing out Switch games

PS put themselves in that position and trained the customer to not buy, but to wait. Same with Xbox and Gamepass.

Sony don't really price drop there games fast any more, this started late with PS4 games and that became normal for PS5 games.
Sony now keep there prices high much longer now with sales every now and then but the price for games stay very high for much longer .

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021
Yeah that's what I am saying too. They should release a ps6 handheld too. Not the same device like Switch but separate device. It will limit ps6 power potential bur it will be worth it imo
I don't think it will limit the PS6 power. Just make a PlayStation Deck that can run PS5 games in 720p or 1080p. Then wait 2 years after the PS6 launch and make a new next-gen PS Deck that can run PS6 games in 720p or 1080p. But remember. A Steam Deck costs $420 - $680. So you might have to pay as much for the PS Deck as you did for the PS5 console. So this "handheld" is going to cost $500 and sell 4 million units after a few years. If that is good enough for Sony... then hey, they can go for it.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

honestly, for my use case where I only play either at home or at my workplace where I have good enough wifi network, I prefer streaming. I've been playing many games almost entirely from remote play and it's a great experience. I can play from 'everywhere' while still having AAA visual. the latency is a bit noticeable, but if the game have 60fps performance mode, it felt like 30fps native in remote play, which is perfectly playable for me. I hope in the future they add ability to stream higher framerates then 60fps. more and more Sony games are offering 120fps mode, they would be great for streaming, making it feel like 60fps native

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I don't think it will limit the PS6 power. Just make a PlayStation Deck that can run PS5 games in 720p or 1080p. Then wait 2 years after the PS6 launch and make a new next-gen PS Deck that can run PS6 games in 720p or 1080p. But remember. A Steam Deck costs $420 - $680. So you might have to pay as much for the PS Deck as you did for the PS5 console. So this "handheld" is going to cost $500 and sell 4 million units after a few years. If that is good enough for Sony... then hey, they can go for it.

The question is will more people gravitate towards a pro console or a handheld for a similar price?

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if a PS6 is a straight up console/handheld hybrid. Tech is progressing so rapidly nowadays, especially in the mobile space and as AI upscaling gets better and better it becomes sort of the next logical step for PS hardware.

Dodger

May 30, 2020
Trying to think of what to play next. Just platted Dark souls remastered. Want to try and get Into FF7R so I get to rebirth but kinda want something light first like maybe AC mirage which I can probably get done in like a week then start 7R. Of course it's also highly likely I'm buying at least Dragons Dogma 2 and possibly Rise of Ronin…

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I could be completely wrong about this.

But it feels like sometimes the industry fulfills its own prophecies.

Like the Vita kind of has that feeling. I don't know if it would have done "well", regardless of anything. But I think it could have done better. I think there was this view that the industry was moving away from handhelds, and so they didn't invest as much.

I kind of feel like the AAA industry is like that, in a number of ways. You think the other companies are going to invest in a bigger game this gen, so everyone invests more in game development because of that.
These are the games that are going to be the most successful, so you spend more money on them, and you spend more on marketing them. So chances are good that they end up being more successful anyways, because people are aware of them.

Jul 2, 2021
The question is will more people gravitate towards a pro console or a handheld for a similar price?
But does it really matter? They can make a Deck version and a PS6 Pro. Just like this generation when they made a PSVR 2, a PS Portal and (soon) a PS5 Pro. The target groups for Pro consoles and handhelds aren't necessarily the same. If you ask me, I think the PS6 Pro will clearly sell more. It launches in the middle of a generation and new customers with money are going to buy the Pro console instead of the standard one. The PS4 Pro sold ~15 million units. No way a Deck/handheld version sells anywhere near as much. Maybe 5 million if they're lucky.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022

They are definitely not going to do less powerful PS6 lite as Jim Ryan said they did a research and people when investing in a console want a future proof one where it doesn't become outdated middle of the generation. Handheld is a possibility but I think they are going to rely heavily on third party and Indies for support which can be a bit risky if they dont sell enough. I think Sony making a handheld isn't a bad idea that could make their first party studios work on games smaller in scope and budget that runs on both PS6 and handheld in addition to cutting edge AAA games exclusive to PS6 and played on handheld via cloud and that could fix their release schedule and potentially their profit margins

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Stellar Blade looks much better than I expected. Pretty good so far.

Yeah it was a really nice surprise since it's my kind of game. I wasn't very hopeful the first time I saw the main character tbh, doesn't inspire much confidence when a dev tries to sell a game with such blatant horniness lol, but it appears there's actually a good combat system here. Music, enemy designs, animations and vfx are all great.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
We're now in Ronin previews week. It seems like the most ambitious game that Team Ninja's ever been involved in and the culmination of everything they've learned from Nioh.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to stay at a hotel for the next three nights because I'll be at my work's remote office for a few days and I'm taking my PS5 with me.
The resolution is set to 4k since that's what my TV supports but I'm guessing the TV at the hotel only does 1080p. Do I need to set the resolution beforehand to avoid any issues or does the PS5 check and switch it automatically if the current setting is unsupported?
Looking forward to finally being able to dive into FF7rebirth.
Haven't been able to play beyond the first chapter with the kids taking up all of my time.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
I'm going to stay at a hotel for the next three nights because I'll be at my work's remote office for a few days and I'm taking my PS5 with me.
The resolution is set to 4k since that's what my TV supports but I'm guessing the TV at the hotel only does 1080p. Do I need to set the resolution beforehand to avoid any issues or does the PS5 check and switch it automatically if the current setting is unsupported?
Looking forward to finally being able to dive into FF7rebirth.
Haven't been able to play beyond the first chapter with the kids taking up all of my time.
I think it supersamples down to 1080p, no idea if it's for every game or a game has to support it though

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017

ShiftUp put all their gacha money into Stellar Blade. I played the demo for a bit but Sony took it down and couldn't finish it. Starts rather basic, but skill trees look promising and combat will get much deeper later on. It's kinda wild to see high budget, really polished game with crazy production values like this in 2024. It reminds me of PS360 era action games and i don't say this as a bad thing.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
2024 is great year for Sony. Especially locking down FF7 Rebirth's exclusivity is massive move. I can see both Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin review and sell great as well.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to Junon in Rebirth after like 25 hours and holy fucking shit this game is blowing my mind. I can't believe how town looks my God

Last edited:

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I lost 5 hours to Elden Ring yesterday as I started my new character on the PS5 version this time in preparation for the DLC.

Feeling better and better about skipping the rest of March and letting my backlog breathe.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
The towns in this game are incredibly well done.
I get excited everytime I enter a new one (partly because it means new Queens Blood opponents lmao).

Haha same! I was worried it was only 3 battles per town but Junon had quite a few and even some surprising QB twists too. It's really no exaggeration when I say this is the Final Fantasy towns I've always dreamed of, it's incredible. Junon really blew me away

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
What made the Titan fight incredible was the fact that it kept going after the spike through Titan lost. It completely caught me off guard. Agreed that in terms of stakes, Bahamut is leagues above. "I am a shield of Rosaria, and I will do my duty" was the hypest line in the game.
Titan fight felt so "easy to fight" for clive so it was all just spectacle and i was not invested in the fight even though i wanted to if you know what i mean but b****** felt like a formidable opponent and really felt like clive barely scraped by , it truly was one of the best boss fight i ever played and that 1 or so hr last night session was my best one yet.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

Who is everyone? The only company that is serious about it from a mass market perspective is Nintendo.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Are you still in chapter 4?

Yup lol Been doing everything I can in every region. I'm loving completing map shits, and then QB, and all the mini games ahhhhh

Same same same. But I'm thinking to ditch some side quests from now on because I can't keep to play this game forever 😂

lol it's hard when you want to continue the story but there's. a million other things to do. Personally I'm happy to play this game forever 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.