Will buy Final Fantasy XVI

• Yes (at launch)

Votes: 447 65.0%
  • Yes (at a later date)

Votes: 102 14.8%
  • Maybe (waiting for reviews and impressions)

Votes: 59 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 80 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

poklane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
As long as playstation have naughty dog , Santa Monica , guerrila , sucker punch etc they got nothing to worry about imo because they are only growing in prestige and popularity. And It.Ain't.Slowing.Down
Sony needs the 3rd party games to fund those games. Those games sell consoles, which in turn means more people get exposed to 1st party games and thus increase their profit potential. And those people also bring in money for Sony through PS+ subs and other 3rd party sales from which Sony takes a cut.
Some people have been saying that Nintendo is all the proof one can need that Sony would be fine without the big 3rd party franchises, and I couldn't disagree more. I can't imagine a Sony console selling well just due to its 1st party support just like Nintendo does.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, Sony should be glad it took MS that long to finally get their fabled warchest out of the closet. What is happening now could have been happening much sooner.
I don't know about that. Any chance Sony had of making an fps to counter the worldwide phenomenon COD is completely gone now. If MS had bought activision and cod a lot sooner like around the ps3 gen, they might have a chance to make something in the ps4 gen before COD got too big to fail.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
This is not how it works. The only way Sony can afford to let devs like Naughty Dog make what they want is if they have money coming in from third party software and MTX. Losing all of Activision's MTX money is going to be a devastating hit to their ability to remain active at the level they are right now.

Sony cannot survive without third party games. This is reality. The more third parties they lose, the less money they have to use to subsidize their first party and the more they will need to scale down their operations to remain solvent.

So yes, it will slow down.

Yep, those $200 million behemoths are gonna slow down once the income drops.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not how it works. The only way Sony can afford to let devs like Naughty Dog make what they want is if they have money coming in from third party software and MTX. Losing all of Activision's MTX money is going to be a devastating hit to their ability to remain active at the level they are right now.

Sony cannot survive without third party games. This is reality. The more third parties they lose, the less money they have to use to subsidize their first party and the more they will need to scale down their operations to remain solvent.

So yes, it will slow down.
It also doesn't help that a big part of the Sony first party brand is insanely high production values. Imagine if TLOU Part 3 just looked average compared to other AAA games out at the time; people would be disappointed. Sony's already spending $200m+ on its marquee titles and I assume that will continue to go up.

While they remain successful for the time being, they have some tough questions about their business to answer in the coming years.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Cross-thread sniping and hostility, history of bans for similar behaviour
The other thread is becoming very weird. This site is strange sometime.

The deal will do more harm to COD than Playstation, I feel.
The other thread was full of corporate bootlicking and platform cheering from the start (and gaslighting about how it's good for Activision workers and consumers).

retrogamer397

Oct 22, 2018
The level of emotional investment is pretty intense but there's also undertones of other stuff. I've been through so much real life trauma these past few months that this is just such inconsequential news to me personally.

Fairgame dollar and Concord are the silver bullets Sony need!

Damn sorry to hear that. I hope it is swiftly alleviated.

IDK why but 'Fairgame Dollar' makes me laugh. So thanks for that!

Κroηos

Jul 27, 2022
Persona and Yakuza aren't big megabrands like CoD so I'm pretty darn sure MS could make those exclusive with no consequence. I mean, aside from tanking their sales ofc.
Hardly a game comes close to the beast that is COD, perhaps GTA but we already know that Rockstar has focused a lot on Online

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I doubt regulators will allow MS to buy another publisher any time soon after this given they allowed MS to buy two in short order. Also, one of MS's biggest arguments for the acquisitions, that they are far behind Sony in revenue, is far less of a convincing argument after Activison. They'll be a close 2nd to Sony in revenue after this.
I mean, as long as MS makes their moves quickly, their arguments will still stand, they still have a much smaller console market share than Sony. Regulators will not block that if they don't block this. They will only have issues if they wait too long and their console market share/cloud gaming grows too much.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
I mean more like EA, TTWO, type publishers. Guess they could get away with something like Sega but they are taking on a lot with Activision in terms in head count and investments that they might slow down with publishers and maybe go after individual studios for a little while

I think the opposite, they'll want to make the most of them being "third place" in marketshare and load up on more publishers ahead of the next gen in 2028 or whenever it'll be. I reckon their next publisher acquisition announcement will be in the next 12 months if not by the end of the year which will suck, especially if it is someone like Sega, seeing franchises go from being exclusive to multiplatform back to being exclusive again.

I hope this pushes Sony to make their own fps franchise
That was probably the hope with the Deviation Games partnership but then that went tits up. Seems like there are a few others in the pipeline (Concord for example) but its a very tough market.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs the 3rd party games to fund those games. Those games sell consoles, which in turn means more people get exposed to 1st party games and thus increase their profit potential. And those people also bring in money for Sony through PS+ subs and other 3rd party sales from which Sony takes a cut.
Some people have been saying that Nintendo is all the proof one can need that Sony would be fine without the big 3rd party franchises, and I couldn't disagree more. I can't imagine a Sony console selling well just due to its 1st party support just like Nintendo does.

It wouldn't even be the console SELLING that would be the problem for Sony - it's that Sony's budgetary business model of high-cost hardware and games isn't sustainable without large-scale revenue sources coming from places that they don't directly pay for. Sony's games by themselves cost too much to make enough money to support themselves on their own.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if it's a gamepass thing but Era changed man. I remember the days of a timed exclusive being announced and people losing their shit.

Now multiple publishers are gone and cheering like it's Christmas.

it really is an odd thing to witness. That acquisition thread was one of the most bizarre things I've seen (especially on a supposedly left-leaning/progressive forum).

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
As long as playstation have naughty dog , Santa Monica , guerrila , sucker punch etc they got nothing to worry about imo because they are only growing in prestige and popularity. And It.Ain't.Slowing.Down
I mean... Sucker Punch, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog all only released two full games last gen, SP and ND adding one expansion each to that. Guerilla had three, one of which was a launch title. It very much is slowing down and with the industry as is you really really really do need third-parties to stay competitive. Even Nintendo with its constant money printer first party titles has very healthy third party support on Switch. The Wii U did not, and not surprisingly that system bombed something fierce.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
I doubt regulators will allow MS to buy another publisher any time soon after this given they allowed MS to buy two in short order. Also, one of MS's biggest arguments for the acquisitions, that they are far behind Sony in revenue, is far less of a convincing argument after Activison. They'll be a close 2nd to Sony in revenue after this.
Regulators will intervene when they want to buy big ones like EA or Take2, not for smaller ones like Sega, Capcom, or Ubisoft though.

Honestly, Sony's best chance to not lose Japanese third-party publishers is the Japanese government and market authority, but even this is very slim.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if it's a gamepass thing but Era changed man. I remember the days of a timed exclusive being announced and people losing their shit.

Now multiple publishers are gone and cheering like it's Christmas.
Yeah for a purported leftist forum, all the corporate cheerleading is...strange.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sony's first party output continues to improve, yes, but the PlayStation ecosystem is still dominated by 3rd party games.

www.truetrophies.com

Top 100 most played PS5 and PS4 games of 2022

PlayStation's most popular games of 2022 have been listed in the top 100 for your viewing pleasure. Join us as we dissect the most-played games of 2022: from Call of Duty and GTA, to Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This clearly isn't good for the PS ecosystem or Sony.

But that leaked email from Jim Ryan mentioned that they've got things that they're working on. They've had almost two years and I'm sure that we're going to see them start to execute on those plans.

(I think it'll be mobile focused, to the disappointment of many, lol).

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
Persona and Yakuza aren't big megabrands like CoD so I'm pretty darn sure MS could make those exclusive with no consequence. I mean, aside from tanking their sales ofc.
Persona and Yakuza going Xbox/PC exclusive if they buy SEGA will 1000% contribute to their deaths but hey, 'Xbox is the home of Persona/Yakuza!'

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that. Any chance Sony had of making an fps to counter the worldwide phenomenon COD is completely gone now. If MS had bought activision and cod a lot sooner like around the ps3 gen, they might have a chance to make something in the ps4 gen before COD got too big to fail.
CoD players will always play CoD. It's about the brand.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
"Who cares if other people lose access to games and franchises they love forever? As long as fans of the OTHER machine are unhappy, that makes me happy!"

It's really sickening to be honest. This is only going to get worse and seriously, with this going through, if Sony or Nintendo or whoever has a timed exclusive, what fucking leg do they have to stand on to argue? All loss of fucking irony and it's infuriating.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I don't see this being a big deal for PS5 but by the time we get to PS6, it'll definitely get messy. Only sad reality is that I'm getting older and have less time to play games as is.

Square, Capcom, Sega, EA... all of them are going to be sold by then.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Agree with the comments about Sony's business model being threatened. The first-party games exist at their current production levels because they serve as a kind of advertisement for the console. It's a model that probably won't be sustainable if they do end up losing all these giant third-party publishers' support.

Of course, that's not what's happening -- yet. Call of Duty will continue to be a big revenue driver on PlayStation for many years, regardless of parent company.

I think Sony's going to have plenty of time to figure out what it's going to do, but my fear is you honestly can't rule out other publishers getting bought from under their noses. I think if many more fall they have a huge problem.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I post much, if any, in Playstation threads. But here are my perspective.

The Xbox One sold 58 millions despite

1) No presence in Asia and Japan
2) Sony ring fencing them with third party exclusives ( Street Fighter, FF VIIR )
3) Inability to build up competing first party portfolio
4) Had a terrible image at launch where it was associated with Kinect / TV and various anti-consumer practices.

It's essentially a 2 : 1 ratio and doesn't seem that terrible when you look into it. One reason Sony succeed in NA and EU is because their first parties cater very much to your average western console gamer preferences. God of War, Horizon, Last of US etc. There is no equivalent of effort from Microsoft part for the Asia market.

Realistically speaking, I think Microsoft hasn't got the ball rolling yet with their many acquisitions pre Activision Blizzard. Especially the long term effect of Bethesda IP being exclusives. Neither have they tried to court Japanese developers until recently ( they still drop the ball on China where games like Genshin is making Sony a lot of money ).

Tldr : I don't find Microsoft to be in such a weak position where they got to acquire AB to compete but that doesn't mean they aren't allow to. It is in their best interest to spend 70b and eventually take the lion share of the "high-powered console" audience. Embrace, extend and extinguish.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
It's really sickening to be honest. This is only going to get worse and seriously, with this going through, if Sony or Nintendo or whoever has a timed exclusive, what fucking leg do they have to stand on to argue? All loss of fucking irony and it's infuriating.

Don't worry, timed exclusive deals are SOMEHOW always worse than this mass consolidation and acquisition of publishers to the cheerleaders of this deal.

Now, though I'll cheerlead any acquisition Sony wants to make.

Κroηos

Jul 27, 2022
This clearly isn't good for the PS ecosystem or Sony.

But that leaked email from Jim Ryan mentioned that they've got things that they're working on. They've had almost two years and I'm sure that we're going to see them start to execute on those plans.

(I think it'll be mobile focused, to the disappointment of many, lol).
They will continue to invest in Gaas and buy studios that nobody knows about lol

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
it really is an odd thing to witness. That acquisition thread was one of the most bizarre things I've seen (especially on a supposedly left-leaning/progressive forum).

Yeah. It was truly, honestly bizarre. Capitalism must prevail at all costs, I guess?

But, hey, if people want consolidation, then I'm all for Sony buying Square Enix! ;)

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I am an idiot so please go easy on me.

Are the regulators going to allow other publishers or bigger entities to be acquired after Activision and Zenimax? That already seems excessive. Is this just a case of cause they can with all that money?

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
One positive for Playstation Owners of Microsoft's aggression is it has lead Sony to Dramatically improve PS Now and the new PS Plus.

The current list of Games available on PS Plus Essential is Amazing 😍 and I hope the service continues to get better and better.

Speaking of has anyone played Sakuna : Rice and Ruin ? Thinking of starting it Or 13 Sentinels Today

poklane

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Agree with the comments about Sony's business model being threatened. The first-party games exist at their current production levels because they serve as a kind of advertisement for the console. It's a model that probably won't be sustainable if they do end up losing all these giant third-party publishers' support.

Of course, that's not what's happening -- yet. Call of Duty will continue to be a big revenue driver on PlayStation for many years, regardless of parent company.

I think Sony's going to have plenty of time to figure out what it's going to do, but my fear is you honestly can't rule out other publishers getting bought from under their noses. I think if many more fall they have a huge problem.
Don't think I could have said it better myself. Sony Corp's leadership and SIE's leadership are gonna need to have some talks about the future of PlayStation as a product and what they need to do to 100% ensure it will remain sustainable.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
One positive for Playstation Owners of Microsoft's aggression has lead them to Dramatically improve PS Now and the new PS Plus.

The current list of Games available on PS Plus Essential is Amazing 😍 and I hope the service continues to get better and better.

Speaking of has anyone played Rice and ruin ? Thinking of starting it Or 13 Sentinels Today
I haven't played Sakuna yet, but 13 sentinels should definitely be your first port of call

Sep 6, 2022
I am in the camp that believes that ActiBlizz would never in a million years sell out if not for the fact that their company was doomed from all the scandals tanking their stock and chasing away their workers.

I am not worried about companies like Square Enix, Sega or Capcom.
They seem to be making record profits and expanding on their own.

No reason to believe they are desperate for a buyout since they are not mired in scandals like ActiBlizz, or suffering from huge financial issues like Bethesda-Zenimax.

And before you hit me with the "No one buys a company who is at their worst, you buy them when they are at their best!"
Bethesda-Zenimax and Activision-Blizzard literally proves that argument is nonsense.

Both companies were struggling and both ended up selling.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Only if MS don't buy anyone else. They know their path to victory now. Spend billions that Sony doesn't have to buy up as much of the industry as they can, make as many 10 year deals as they have to in order to pull the wool over the eyes of the regulators, pull massive amounts of content from Sony in 10 years and it's game over. They're playing the long game while the regulators faff and fret about next year's CoD, and their feigned position of weakness currently.

If the game is who can spend to most to "compete" Sony simply lose, and with all these mega purchases that is the game now no matter how much in denial we all are. If MS has 3x as many studios and IP as Sony they simply win.

This will be one of those things people will look back at in 25 years and wonder what the regulators were thinking. They've just let a platform holder buy the biggest publisher in the industry. After they already bought another punisher.

Regulators shouldn't be focusing on MS's position in the industry now. They should be looking at what happens in 25 years if they don't stop MS gobbling up the industry.

Apparently a 2.5 trillion dollar platform holder buying up the biggest publisher in the industry (after already having bought a publisher) is a "win for consumers", because after all the big evil bogeyman of the 100 billion company behind PlayStation MUST be defeated.

Very weird thread indeed.

MS now have a huge advantage in developers and IP, and limitless budgets to pair with it.

Just wait until they buy SEGA next.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
One positive for Playstation Owners of Microsoft's aggression has lead them to Dramatically improve PS Now and the new PS Plus.

Speaking of has anyone played Sakuna : Rice and Ruin ? Thinking of starting it Or 13 Sentinels Today
Sony already revamped PS Plus and now it's somewhat competitive with Game Pass with how much content and value it provides. I don't think Sony really needs to revamp it even more (but they need more retro content for nerds like me :p)

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
I am not worried about companies like Square Enix, Sega or Capcom.
They seem to be making record profits and expanding on their own.
Honestly, the only JP pubs I see no one gunning for are Koei, Capcom and Bandai. SEGA and Square on the other hand are entirely up for grabs and sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if they get bought out in the next few years...

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This forum was insufferable... But I'd hop in occasionally to see news hopeful of worthwhile discussion. It's worse now.

New ot suggestion:

PlayStation Studios |OT37| AKA MS, XBOX and General M&A Discussion Thread

retrogamer397

Oct 22, 2018

Perfect way to summarize first party PlayStation games. It's what get people to buy a PlayStation but ultimately it is the third party titles that let people stay and spend time and money within their ecosystem.

PlayStation can become more self sufficient by 1) increasing their yearly PS Studios release cadence and 2) increasing the diversity of their first party output.

Unfortunately, the quickest way to achieve this is through acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.