Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
if you click the link, they had Nintendo at 12.1B and MS at 11.6B, so Sony is more than both combined at 25B

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks

The crazy thing is that this year there wasnt really a standout first party title in terms of sales, next year there will be atleast 3 of those

Imagine for a moment if this year had included the releases of Horizon, God of War and GT7.

It'll be interesting to see how things go next year with Sony trying to get folks to move to higher tier subs via Spartacus. If they're launching it in the Spring (presumably around the time of the end of their fiscal year) I assume we'll get our first set of numbers during their Q1 fiscal report in the Summer.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think I'd want a better source than a random guy on twitter with 62 followers and a website that nobody has ever heard of.
i have no idea about the ranking but the number is right.... for fiscal year 2020, not calendar year of 2021.
EDIT: actually scratch that, i forgot about exchange rates not being exactly 100:1. 25 Billion dollars is what Sony are forecasting for fiscal 2021.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
i have no idea about the ranking but the number is right.... for fiscal year 2020, not calendar year of 2021.
EDIT: actually scratch that, i forgot about exchange rates not being exactly 100:1. 25 Billion dollars is what Sony are forecasting for fiscal 2021.

Yeah, like they haven't reported the earnings for October-December of this year, the earnings report for that is in February so I find it hard to believe that this guy has access to those numbers.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
On that $25B revenue for the year, I just checked some numbers and here's the gaming's division's revenue for the year so far:
Q1: 660.3B Yen
Q2: 615.8B Yen
Q3: 645.4B Yen
Total Q1-Q3: 1921.5B Yen, which by today's exchange rate is 16.79B US Dollars.
So for the gaming division to reach $25B for this calendar year they'd need another $8.21B in revenue in the 4th quarter of the year, which would be $939.4B Yen. For comparison, last year during Q4 (which as you all might remember included the PS5's launch) the gaming division recorded 883.2B Yen. So they'd have to do better this Q4 than they did last year.
Sony's forecast for the Financial Year (April 1st 2021-March 31st 2022) is 2900B Yen, which by today's exchange rate is $25.34B.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Imagine for a moment if this year had included the releases of Horizon, God of War and GT7

To be honest they didn't need them, and the year would have been almost too stuffed with exclusives. I'm not sure if any of the delays were strategic, but having those games release next year instead is the smart move. Means that during the year when the consoles might actually be widely available Playstaiton will constantly be in the news, hopefully have games getting rave reviews. They didn't need to sell more consoles this year. Also means more userbase to sell those games to.

If FFXVI releases next year then Sony have it on lock. Horizon, God of War, GT7 and FFXVI as an exclusive lineup for a year is bonkers.

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021

Surpassing Tencent?

giphy.gif

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
To be honest they didn't need them, and the year would have been almost too stuffed with exclusives. I'm not sure if any of the delays were strategic, but having those games release next year instead is the smart move. Means that during the year when the consoles might actually be widely available Playstaiton will constantly be in the news, hopefully have games getting rave reviews. They didn't need to sell more consoles this year. Also means more userbase to sell those games to.

If FFXVI releases next year then Sony have it on lock. Horizon, God of War, GT7 and FFXVI as an exclusive lineup for a year is bonkers.

Also Forspoken, all the various indie titles, the PSVR2 launch lineup and whatever else they haven't announced yet (ie. TLOU Remake, Factions 2...)

2022's gonna be exhausting trying to play everything :D

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
About to boot it up tonight! I've heard nothing but good things, I'm excited. It Takes Two hasn't been knocked off my GoTY pedestal yet this year, curious to see if GoTG will click with me.
I'm a huge fan of Deus Ex, and I was dissapointed that EIDOS was working on GoTG at first.
After playing the game, I will be dissapointed if EIDOS next game is not GoTG 2

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Also Forspoken, all the various indie titles, the PSVR2 launch lineup and whatever else they haven't announced yet (ie. TLOU Remake, Factions 2...)

2022's gonna be exhausting trying to play everything :D
We're still in a pandemic, and Omicron is putting a spanner in many people's works - i'd be optimistic but not count all the chickens before they've hatched cos theres gonna be a ton of disruption still

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
We're still in a pandemic, and Omicron is putting a spanner in many people's works - i'd be optimistic but not count all the chickens before they've hatched cos theres gonna be a ton of disruption still
I know. The big 3 titles (GT7, HFW, GoW:R) were all due out this year and got pushed to early next year (still think GoW is coming in the first half due to Jim Ryan's comment about back to back releases). That means we still don't know what titles they had originally intended to launch in 2022. Those would no doubt be affected as well, but there's always a chance that the titles originally meant to launch in the first half of 2022 might come in the second half of 2022.

It's just my uninformed guess, but now that studios had more than a year to transition their work flow to a WFH environment I don't think they're nearly as badly affected as they were when the pandemic began and everyone was scrambling to come up with a WFH workflow. So even if Omicron might force folks to leave the office again and go work from home it should hopefully have less of an impact than it would have before. Again, just my uninformed guess.

madridi-gh

Mar 25, 2018
Who watched Station Eleven on HBO?

The first episode is sooo last of us. I bet Neil is like wth HBO ?!! lol

obviously the show is totally different, but boy that first episode.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hope everybody had a safe holiday. I didn't get anything exciting.

Gonna be another crud new year, seems like.

Oct 25, 2017
What's your most anticipated gameplay reveal likely to happen next year? For me it's Returnal DLC and Firesprite's Horizon spin-off for PSVR2. And The Last of Us remake, just to see what ND can do on PS5. For third parties it's The Callisto Protocol, as I love sci-fi horror and the first two Dead Space games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What's your most anticipated gameplay reveal likely to happen next year? For me it's Returnal DLC and Firesprite's Horizon spin-off for PSVR2. And The Last of Us remake, just to see what ND can do on PS5. For third parties it's The Callisto Protocol, as I love sci-fi horror and the first two Dead Space games.

Unless it's a Naughty Dog new IP that isn't set in space, I don't think I care enough about anything to be excited for a gameplay reveal of anything anymore.

Give me a Naughty Dog historical period piece game, please. Nothing else matters at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it's a Naughty Dog new IP that isn't set in space, I don't think I care enough about anything to be excited for a gameplay reveal of anything anymore.

Give me a Naughty Dog historical period piece game, please. Nothing else matters at this point.

I don't think ND will reveal anything beyond TLoU and Factions next year, but when they do I really hope it's sci-fi. Same with Cory's game. Not to piss you off but it's my favorite genre. Doesn't need to be space per se, future Earth is fine as well. While I'm at it, I want From to make a sci-fi game as well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think ND will reveal anything beyond TLoU and Factions next year, but when they do I really hope it's sci-fi. Same with Cory's game. Not to piss you off but it's my favorite genre. Doesn't need to be space per se, future Earth is fine as well. While I'm at it, I want From to make a sci-fi game as well.

I'm just so bored of guns and shooting and metal corridors. We get NO historical period piece games outside of Ubisoft's disposable trash. I want a historical game with ND's attention to detail.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Agree on Returnal DLC, I was hoping we would see that at TGA.

Other than that: Metroid Prime 4, The Last of Us Remake, Starfield, and Helldivers 2. Spider-Man 2 as well but I'm not as sure we'll see gameplay for that next year.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Team Asobi's next game.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

They are asking for this regarding SMS unnanounced game:
Sr Character Concept Artist
Develop and maintain strong creative and collaborative partnerships across subject areas to help further develop the in-game characters, visual language, and rule sets for fantasy-based worlds.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Astro Bot 2
And PSVR 2 for the most part

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

Factions, I want to see a PvPvE match with players and infected.
I'm also interested in seeing what KOTOR remake will look like.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm a huge fan of Deus Ex, and I was dissapointed that EIDOS was working on GoTG at first.
After playing the game, I will be dissapointed if EIDOS next game is not GoTG 2
Good to know, should make for a solid game to close out the year. Would you say it's a GoTY contender?
It almost certainly will if you like games from PS Studios.
Ya I've heard folks say it's closer to Spider-Man in terms of quality then Avengers, which sounds perfect to me.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021

I want to see what Firesprite is up to and then preferably the narrative game of the 3 games they are working on.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
gotg would really benefit from being an action rpg of sorts, with that consistently great writing and world building.
as it is, combat, exploration parts are too shallow to carry the whole thing.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

Hmm, I'd place Naughty Dog's project(s) at number 1 as I know I'll likely play it and love it. As for other stuff I'm open for surprises as long as gameplay is how Sony reveal their new IP. No CG trailers please! :)

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
If anything, its underrated
6/10 for me. It outstays its welcome based on its basic gameplay which cannot carry it through the length the game drags on for. And the battle system is very repetitive and limited when you can only play as Starlord (and needlessly have to spam team abilities to make up for the shortfall). And not to mention the painful last gen sidestepping through narrow spaces all the time. And rubbish spaceship sections. Yeah it's defo an average game all right. Doesn't get close to Sony's first party quality sadly.

Last edited:

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
6/10 for me. It outstays its welcome based on its basic gameplay which cannot carry it through the length the game drags on for. And the battle system is very repetitive and limited when you can only play as Starlord (and needlessly have to spam team abilities to make up for the shortfall). Doesn't get close to Sony's first party quality sadly.

To me it was sony 1st party quality except some polish issues.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, TW3's gameplay is pretty garbage and I turned it down to easy just to make it through the game but I still loved the majority of the experience.

The world/characters carry the game. Bought both expansions day 1 and put like 100h or more into it despite not liking the general movement and combat.

Couldn't replay it though, ended up watching different story choices on YT.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Guerilla or Firesprite's MP game.

PlayStation Prediction Thread 2022
OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
you can now take part on the PlayStation Prediction Thread from me and Angie

www.resetera.com

PlayStation Prediction Thread 2022 (voting ends on January 15th) [UPDATE: THE RESULTS ARE IN] Sony

2022-01-15 23:59:59 Europe/Amsterdam Welcome to the PlayStation Prediction Thread for the year 2022. Angie had the great idea of making this thread, helped out with the questions and will collect your votes! DeoGame made a prediction thread for the Xbox aswell. Check it out...

Done! Thank you both :)

You may as well just get me my prize now pls cause I gots AMAZING predictive powers and can't lose :D

Status
Not open for further replies.