Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe how insane 2021 going to be.

If GoW, Horizon, Ratchet and GT7 all hit, 2021 might compete with 2020 for Sony's best first party content, ever.

Knight

Jul 26, 2020
Italy
Happy Holidays, you all! This is my first Christmas as a member of Era :) Hope these festivities can bring happiness to everyone ^^

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
After having seen my fair share of raytraced lighting now. I gotta say that some games have faked lighting in a way that looks better than raytracing ever could.
If I look at the scenes in TLoU2, I have a hard time envisioning this being improved by raytraced lighting. In fact, I think it would look worse in most cases.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Between the Sony Japan Stuff and the Github stuff people are going to be quick to instantly believe FuD about PlayStation this generation unfortunately. I wonder why. At any rate, Sony Japan need to put out a new ip this gen on the size and scale of ghost of tsushima to calm some doubts.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
You summed it nicely. I agree completely with this. We will just have to wait for things to manifest eventually from it, especially if such endeavors lead to new I.Ps which take even longer to manifest.

We might not even hear anything at all for 2021 which would make sense too especially with how Sony lately doesn't announce a game unless it is max a year apart from release.

Maybe others are right but if you look at this from another perspective it also points at what you're saying and imho even more so.
Thanks. :)

AwwBubbles

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I just tried GTA V on PC just to see how it looks. I only played it on PS3 and PS4 a bit. Damn man... this game still looks really good on PC. Im kinda excited for the PS5 version now :D

With even better gfx, proper dualsense support etc. I might douple dip

Also Happy Holidays!

Oct 27, 2017
People are too hung up on Toriyama leaving.

Like sure, we have 3 people leaving in a short time but that doesn't mean it will be bad. Sony can use this as an opportunity to overhaul the studio. Japan Studio is one of the most mysterious Sony developers right now and there could be something cooking up.

I am sure there are some talented developers waiting for their moments to shine. From's Miyazaki came out of nowhere and From changed from a somewhat mediocre with some gems developer to one of the best developers out there once Demon's Souls came out.

I can understand people freaking out that Sony is sidelining them, especially after that Bloomberg article but that isn't a confirmation yet.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
In my view, Sony's modus operandi (in general) with respect to SIE at the moment is this: PlayStation is producing our golden eggs, lets keep costs low to generate even more profit and invest in the other divisions.

If "organic growth" really was a thing, Sony would probably have kept all of these people on Japan Studios and given money to create new teams that would result in new games.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I realy reallly really hate the whole acquisition talk, this is something unpredictable, unproductive and until it happens, almost useless to talk about, if Nintendo folks start to act the same on this subject I think I am going crazy lmao.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who played Ghost of Tsushima on PS5, is there any difference between the performance and resolution modes? I know you can hit 60fps on PS5 but do you have to be in performance mode for this?

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who played Ghost of Tsushima on PS5, is there any difference between the performance and resolution modes? I know you can hit 60fps on PS5 but do you have to be in performance mode for this?
You can just stick to resolution, you get 60fps with both options.

I mean, does anyone believes that Sony will acquire someone in the next 12 to 24 months?
There was no indication from anyone before they acquired Insomniac last year, or that audio company a few years back (not a game studio, I know). It's impossible to guess what their exact strategy or plan is without being privy to more information.

1 gift from fanboy

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from fanboy fanboy!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

fanboy said:
Merry Christmas. Stay home, stay safe and stay positive. I know this is a PlayStation thread, but I wanted to put a smile on someone from my most beloved thread on Era, so here is a chance to win digital code for The Touryst for Xbox consoles.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Xbox One Xbox One: The Touryst - Won by Rommaz Rommaz (2 entries)

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
There was no indication from anyone before they acquired Insomniac last year, or that audio company a few years back (not a game studio, I know). It's impossible to guess what their exact strategy or plan is without being privy to more information.

The latest acquisitions appear to have been very reactionary... We know that the Audiokinetic one was because the 3D audio has a great focus on PS5. And about Insominiac, I would bet that another big company (Facebook, MS or any other) showed interest in buying the studio and Sony couldn't lose them after Spider-Man.

If they continue with this strategy, I believe that a Japanese studio should be their next focus, since their 1st Party output from there has been extremely dry.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
If "organic growth" really was a thing, Sony would probably have kept all of these people on Japan Studios and given money to create new teams that would result in new games.
You are talking about these people as if they are furniture that Sony disposed of to make some space and make a quick buck.
Maybe these producers wanted to leave and try new things ? Like they are human beings with an ability to think for themselves ?
"If Sony wanted to..." Well they could have put a leash on these devs an attach them to Japan Studio desks to prevent them from leaving the office and some people would have praised Sony for its dedication in retaining talent.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure all of them leaving almost at the same time is pure coincidence. Nothing to see here folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.