• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017
Nah, the X has HDR and it didn't look particularly good. It was an odd implementation, and even though I have no analysis tools, I swear it ran worse when HDR was on.
Ouch, I've beaten Mafia 3 and I know the scenery would have looked awesome with a good implementation. Still, I'm getting back in so I can play Sign of the Times.

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Mafia 3 is pretty great (if a little rough around the edges). Good month.
Enjoying it so far and I have noticed that at times it is pretty rough as you said... I had to kill this gang leader Baka, and yeah, I took down all of his fellas, and I found him in a room. I shoot him down with 3 to 4 shots. He falls because he's dead, supposedly. He is literally there, laying down being dead, so I approach him. Little did I know he wasn't dead. He just gets up in a super weird move and kills me, lol. I had little life left.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Ouch, I've beaten Mafia 3 and I know the scenery would have looked awesome with a good implementation. Still, I'm getting back in so I can play Sign of the Times.

The DLC is incredible. Sign of the Times is probably my favorite, but they were all really good. They introduce mechanics not found in the original game and really freshen things up.

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't wanna start a thread, but damn, Mafia III runs like bung hole on the PS4 Pro. Shoot outs with more than three characters on screen cause shocking slow down. Plus the physics system is messed up. If you knock over a chair it just bounces all over the gaf. It looks rather rough too, most character models look like clay (not the character, the material), and the image quality is yuck.

The kill animations. My God they're dreadful.

I can't fathom how this looked/ran/played on launch.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
The DLC is incredible. Sign of the Times is probably my favorite, but they were all really good. They introduce mechanics not found in the original game and really freshen things up.
Yeah, the DLC is fantastic. I didn't even realize those missions, area, and even weapons were locked behind DLC until I looked it up.

May 18, 2018
Didn't wanna start a thread, but damn, Mafia III runs like bung hole on the PS4 Pro. Shoot outs with more than three characters on screen cause shocking slow down. Plus the physics system is messed up. If you knock over a chair it just bounces all over the gaf. It looks rather rough too, most character models look like clay (not the character, the material), and the image quality is yuck.

The kill animations. My God they're dreadful.

I can't fathom how this looked/ran/played on launch.

Eeeeek! Quite fancied this game but not even gonna bother DL it now!

I believe it runs quite well in X1X?

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
What's up with the dead by daylight servers? Me and my friend can't invite each other to a group or find a game. Is no one playing this or are the servers just not there?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Is it just me or is Lincoln Clay one of the best looking and animated main character models in an open world game?(mafia3)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well damn .we didn't get mafia 3 here.we got another game I have never heard of .lame .was excited for mafia 3 but I guess not

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mafia 3 is alright so far. The graphics are so ehhhhh though to be honest.

Dead by daylight is fun with friends but I can see it getting boring. I wish that you had different ways to escape the area instead of just starting up generators. Maybe there are different game modes I haven't found out about yet.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
It's a good sign that they seem to give us more and more AAA games, but unfortunately it's Mafia 3. Awful game.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I was going to make a LTTP thread but i'll just post it here since we're all talking about it.

Is it me or is the beginning of Mafia 3 incredible?

The introduction and world building with the music, environment, and characters are something else. Also, the format of the storytelling seems almost... revolutionary? Can't recall this storytelling style ever being done like this before in a game.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Hmmm I can't seem to start Mafia III when booting up.
Get stuck on infinite loading screen right after adjusting brightness and choosing difficulty.

I see its a common problem online. Disappointed by the 2k devs such a bug still exists two years later.
I'm not inclined to delete and re-download 60Gb.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Mafia story seems interesting so far but the missions are kinda boring and samey so far. At least the cover system is decent.

Think I might just be burned out on the Gtaish open world formula. Driving around between missions and nothing really organic feeling happening in the world.

Web-Slinger

Aug 8, 2018
NYC
Very under rated game. I am really enjoying Mafia 3 so far. It can be a bit repetitive on the missions, but overall it's fun and engaging to play.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mafia 3 is a very mediocre game, in my opinion is not worth.
What is worth is the dlc, I played only one of them (on PC, the one provided with the game when it was included in Humble Monthly) and I was amazed on how the dlc is good and with variety compared to the base game which is ALL the same.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I'm doing Mafia 3 right now and I love the ambiance, the missions are a bit repetitive but I can get over it, I like the game

Their error is the game design which is to conquest the different neighborhood and I can understand people not liking it

And Dead by Daylight is awesome, I play with a friend, we join a public session and play with other players, it scares and you're stressed when the killer is chasing you, I love this game !

It can be improved especially in the menu, for example, when you finish a game with a friend, you are separated and you have to invite your friend again

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I'm really enjoying Mafia. I suppose it does help that I'm only a few hours in so the repetition hasn't really started yet, but there's some strong stuff here. The narrative devices are neat.

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
I'm surprised that I am enjoying Mafia III way more than Dead by Daylight, because multiplayer is really, reallyyyy my jam, and I usually get hooked on this kind of games. That hasn't happened yet with DbD, I supposed I should give it some more time.

Mafia III, however, I absolutely love the ambiance, being set in the late 60s really works for me, and the story so far looks interesting, and not only that, it's told in a very captivating, original way, I believe.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Dead By Daylight is the perfect kind of dumb fun before the September craze. I suspect it's going to get old real quick, but for now I'm hooked (ha. ha.).

Shame the server issues are still ongoing though. Could only complete a single game in an hour earlier.

Aside from Friday 13th are there any other games in the genre ? That do things better preferably, because there's a looot of room for improvement here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to make a LTTP thread but i'll just post it here since we're all talking about it.

Is it me or is the beginning of Mafia 3 incredible?

The introduction and world building with the music, environment, and characters are something else. Also, the format of the storytelling seems almost... revolutionary? Can't recall this storytelling style ever being done like this before in a game.

Yeah, it's amazing.

Seems very marmitey though. Lots of people think it's crap too.

Maybe older people like it, dunno? Love the news stories on the radio. The sound track is incredible but I wish it had at least triple the tracks.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I just haven't given it enough time (having played about 4 matches), but I just can't seem to get into Dead by Daylight. Everything just feels so clunky. I'm sure it doesn't help that I played with randoms online and of course nobody has a mic.

I kind of feel like I'm just running around a dark maze with one task.

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Dead by Daylight is pretty neat, though sometimes I just can't see any way to escape the killer. They can be so fast that any number of obstacles are overcome within seconds, and the reach on some of their attacks is bogus. Saw my friend make it through a window and get about five feet away, only to get downed by a swing from the killer on the other side.

Although my biggest issues with the game are the long loads and longer matchmaking times (with a party of 4 survivors). Connection seems iffy at times too, and can ruin a game.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
How you clear areas is so dumb on Mafia. Unless I'm during it wrong I seem to always be clearing the same area twice.

Once without the boss present and a second time once you've done enough "damage" to his raquet and made him come out of hiding.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Loving what I'm reading here about mafias story I need to get started on it, I wanted to clear out some more of my back log before Spider-Man (just beat wolfy 2 great game) but I might just try to play through this

Edit: don't want to double post and I'm not sure where to post this so I'll just update this , just played through the first couple hours and holy shit that intro was fantastic the story telling was like a really well done and directed version of what far cry 5 tried to do with the cutting to interviews but it does nothing in this case but add to the story and over all presentation.

And man Lincoln is such a Savage , I dig the bearded look more though . I also gotta appreciate some of the animations in this game the shooting feels decent but can be wonky with enemies that are closer to you but the little animation when you stop aiming and start to move in a direction looks really awesome and natural

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I know some people prefer to listen to their own music during open world games, but fight that urge here. Make sure you guys listen to the radio in Mafia 3, especially when a show is playing. There's some really amazing stuff there. The atmosphere is out of this world.

I wish the DLC was on sale so I could recommend that.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Mafia is pretty boring to play unfortunately. Thinking of dropping it? Are there any twists to the story or does it never go beyond the basic story it sets up?

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving Dead by Daylight. Played it late at night when I was high and it genuinely scared the pants off me as a survivor.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
im starting to get into dead by daylight, very fun and funny game.

Here's a full match of mine, ended up sacrificing all the survivors lol.

So determined to save their teammates :P

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Mafia 3 was a nice surprise when it comes to the story, the beginning and end are really great, but the progression and same type of mission repeating to exaustion makes me say this was one of the worst open word games i ever played. If it wasent the story giving me an extra incentive to progress in the game i would probably have droped the game short after the beginning.

Also nice music selection and collectibles. Playboy magazines with the centerfold playmate and some of them include full interviews to personalities of the 60's, like interview with The Bettles or Stanley Kubrick that can be read in full.

This is a game that would be much better without an open world, and just being a linear game.

Last edited:

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It wouldnt be that much of an issue if you didn't have to drive SOOOOO much. LIke so many missions were literally driving to the other side of the map, and then you would have to drive ALLLLLL the way back.

Like, why?!
Yup. Thats why i dont see the need of an open world for this game. Aside from the collectibles there was absoletly nothing to do. Was just driving from Point A to Point B. The missions was all the same to all districts with little variations. Just the missions to confront the bosses had cool locations, and some nice stuff here and there. And they play the same way they could play in a linear game.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
yup. the open world is just boring. there is no reason to stop on your way from point a to point b outside of finishing your playboy collection lol

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Iam suprised how much fun i have with dead by day light but that balance is all over the place.