• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Is that kind of negativity really justified here? This is a good improvement.

I find it hard to be enthusiastic about Sony doing the bare minimum. Like, sure at face value it's a good improvement, but as of now I still see no reason to even look at PS Now personally. A service that has been around for four years.

Maybe if they ever figure out how to make PS3 games backwards compatible but I'm almost certain that remains to be a pipe dream.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So it's functionally the same as Game Pass now? (Minus the day 1 first party releases?)

It's like Gamepass, but with a more restrictive check-in requirement.

Note that you will need to connect your PS4 system to the internet every few days to verify your PS Now subscription, even if you're only playing downloaded games.

That's closer to Nintendo's approach to online than Microsoft.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Read the post again. If you start a game on PS Now via streaming and want to continue using your save, you need to sub to PS Plus. There's no option to download the save directly from PS Now's cloud service. It needs to be moved to PS Plus, and then to your console.

Not a deal-breaker, but it's a damn weird workaround. Kind of stinks when you otherwise don't need PS Plus for PS Now.
Ahhhh...... whoops.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Oh... Looks like I'll give this service the time of day now, I've got a nice beefy connection so that was never a concern but I've never been a fan of me playing games being at the whim of whether my Internet connection doesn't fuck up either.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
They've pretty much just given up on them.
Huh? they added some back in July

• BlazBlue: Central Fiction
  • Dark Cloud (PS2)
  • Fantavision (PS2)
  • Farming Simulator 17
  • Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition (PS2)
  • MXGP 2 – The Official Motocross Videogame
  • Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
  • Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet
  • Umbrella Corps
  • Wild Guns
They just started adding them in May
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...-update-new-ps2-games-summer-price-promotion/

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Now create some kinda of bundle pricing for PSnow and PSplus

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 PS4 backwards compatibility seems very likely now. I bet if PS3 wasn't tough to emulate it would be in that download list too.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Funny enough I've only used my Psnow to play PS3 games. With the exception of that Sherlock holmes game.

I was a 360 person so it was neat, not good playing the killzone. But metal gear 4 was good when they had it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already loaded up on several years at $5/month, but good to know for when my GamePass expires in like 2023.

How are you quantifying that? Just Xbox One games compared to PS4 games? Then I guess, but it's got over 600 games across PS2, PS3, and PS4.
Can't download the PS3 games though, they might as well not exist.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Makes the service more attractive certainly. Might be something to look into next gen.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how often new games are added to the catalog usually? It'll be interesting if they start ramping up releases within this next year.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I'd say the lineup for current gen games is better than Game Pass, aside from the few newer MS exclusives.
You're probably the only one. Its just all the PS plus giveaways and old Sony shit that doesn't sell like Gravity Rush 1 and Knack.

The lineup is astonishingly bad. I can't believe they announced it in this state tbh.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
That title was hard to parse... Glad to see this. It was the services biggest weakness... that said, I'm not going to resub to it. I barely used it the last time I bought a year of it.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Do you guys not realize that the PS4 can't emulate PS3 games? This is why I'm surprised people are always pissed at PS3 remasters...like you realize that's the only way those games will be forward compatible with PS4 and PS5, right? The goal should be to get as many classic games running natively on PS4 as possible, because that's the only way those games will be forward compatible in future generations outside of ports.

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
How are you quantifying that? Just Xbox One games compared to PS4 games? Then I guess, but it's got over 600 games across PS2, PS3, and PS4.

You still can't download PS3 games onto your PS4 and the selection of PS2 Classics on PS4 is honestly laughable. Not mentioning the actual quality of the emulation.

And let's not kid ourselves into believing that suddenly they figure out how to make PS3 games backwards compatible and that new PS2 Classics on PS4 are on the way.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I already loaded up on several years at $5/month, but good to know for when my GamePass expires in like 2023.

Can't download the PS3 games though, they might as well not exist.

Yeah I got 2 years of game pass for like 55 dollars from sales and promos. Tmobile offered 1 free month of gamepass. I stacked it up for a whole year.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why you can't download the PS3 games to actual PS3 hardware. Still have one connected.

The PS3 supports expiration dates, they're doing it with Plus games.
Sure, that's technically possible. But PS3 is pretty much at end of life, which means no big new features, which this would be. It's not worth it to them.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I think you can get in for a hundo for one year...and that seems like a fucking steal. Gonna ask the Fiance if I can jump in on this.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If the Now service was essentially streaming and the PS4 does not support PS3 and (iirc) PS1 BC (hence the PS classic console), this would mean that the downloading options will always be limited to PS4 and PS2 titles for the foreseeable future.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is responding to Game Pass faster than I had anticipated. Good move and I'll probably finally sign up for PS Now

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So we can have the game in their Native resolution and even with PS4 Pro support now instead of the 720p resolution or it stays the same?

Oct 27, 2017
Not PS3 games though?! Aw man; I wanted to do the free trial and play Resistance 3 again.

Edit - this is a good additional feature though. Game Pass doing good work keeping them on their toes.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Ways that Sony can improve PSNow further.

1. Allow PS2 and PS3 games to be downloaded. Not just some PS4 games.
2. Decrease price to 9.99 a month instead of 19.99
3. Add new releases to the service and day and date with launch.

You are not going to get GoW,Spidey etc. expensive AAA single player games day 1 on service like this for $10/month.
Maybe after a few years...and i wouldn't bet on that either.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
Good news for people that actually live in a country in which PS Now is available. XD
Italian internet connection are generally so bad that Sony ignored us. :(