• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
You know what power Xbox can't ever compete with?
This:
CGTIql3.jpg

uO3Ugep.jpg
But this is a video game enthusiast forum. Although yes early on this year we saw social media favors Sony too

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I've just seen Cerny's presentation about the PS4 on Gamelab. It's funny because back then he said he wouldn't put real time ray tracing if it meant that would be harder to develop for the console. I'm so EXCITED for tomorrow, can't wait to see how his relationship with 1st/3rd party developers has evolved what that means for features like the SSD and RT. I can only imagine that he has gone to great lenghts to ensure devs would use the potential of those features while having much more to master. Hype is unbearable now!

Cerny is a legend.

Sony's lucky to have him.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I hopefully they announce backwards compatibility, that'll definitely make PS5 a sure buy for me at launch. Also, I doubt Sony will beat Microsoft on specs and technological improvements, but we'll see.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017

Tech demo like this megacity from Unity would be very cool and it's more meaningful than showing in engine trailer.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
As long as they are doing PS5 only first party/3rd exclusive games, yeah, they could definitely use that as a talking point.
One of Sony's biggest strengths has always been working with third party so I have no doubt they have deals lined up. I think it would be awesome if they had Horizon 2 ready for launch but they know third party can carry them until their big guns are ready.

Tech demo like this megacity from Unity would be very cool and it's more meaningful than showing in engine trailer.

Very impressive but at the same time not really reassuring we will see games that are truly massive like that. Star Citizen is a huge undertaking with many years in development and hundreds of millions of dollars. Can you imagine playing that game in this demo and being able to go into any of those buildings and all of those rooms? Very cool but whose going to take on that, maybe Rockstar?

Last edited:

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad we're getting something (even if it may pose more questions than answers) and it's arriving at the best time. As the U.K. slowly starts to shut down and news is about as depressing as it gets, this is hopefully a much needed boost to take your mind off things.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I've just seen Cerny's presentation about the PS4 on Gamelab. It's funny because back then he said he wouldn't put real time ray tracing if it meant that would be harder to develop for the console. I'm so EXCITED for tomorrow, can't wait to see how his relationship with 1st/3rd party developers has evolved what that means for features like the SSD and RT. I can only imagine that he has gone to great lenghts to ensure devs would use the potential of those features while having much more to master. Hype is unbearable now!

I don't think anyone was thinking RT until Nvidia did it, which caused a rush for everyone to keep up.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Ridiculous. The announcement thread for PS5 is already longer than the specs thread for Series X...

Phil still has a lot of work to do to win the hype and heart of Era.

Expel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing around 11TF. Weaker than xbox but still respectable. Can't wait for Cerny's asmr at midnight tonight lol

Sep 23, 2018
The term "fanboy" is useful in some scenarios , but dumb for others.

I do not consider myself a Sony Pony or fanboy , I recognise their failures and missteps (see: abandoning the promising little handheld that could- Ps Vita and it's insanity pricing of proprietary storage) but at this stage in my life, they would have to fuck up badly with the PS5 to get me to jump ship.
The main thing this hinges on for me is backwards compatibility, odd as that may sound. Since getting my PS3 in and around 2012 I've spent a good bit of money in accruing a large catalogue of games (65-75% Physical to 35-25% digital) across PS3, Vita and PS4. I still have my PS3 and 2 hooked up, but I would love to have my back catalogue able to be played on the one device.

Having said that, I seem to really like Sony first party exclusives so it would have to be a bit of a bomb of a console to force me over to Xbox as my primary.

Realistically I will be doing what I always do with the new PS platform and will be waiting between a year or two from PS5 launch to get one and will stick with my PS4 Pro.
I also intend on getting an Xbox One S at some point to avail of that BC and the few exclusives I want to play there (Quantum Break).

Edit- all in all this is a very exciting time. Watched DF's SX in depth video and it just has me even more excited for tomorrow and for next gen in General.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing around 11TF. Weaker than xbox but still respectable. Can't wait for Cerny's asmr at midnight tonight lol

If it is 11TF, I think they will need to show at least one visually incredible game (exclusive) so people can be assured that games will still look pretty damn amazing on PS5 even though they are 1TF behind Series X, otherwise the biggest news out of tomorrow's presentation will be how PS5 is worse than Series X.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
You know what power Xbox can't ever compete with?
This:
CGTIql3.jpg

uO3Ugep.jpg

False equivalence since MS have been dripping out info consistently for multiple months, and Sony have been near completely silent. Of course more people are interested in the first sizeable official info - particularly those interested in the console space, and this weird brand / platform warrior drama.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Final prediction (I'll be over the moon if PS5 exceeds it):
  • CPU- 3.4-3.8GHz frequency (presumably variable if they go the same route as MS with two clocks for SIMD and non-SIMD)
  • GPU- 9.216 - 10.7 TF (theoretical) RDNA 2 (vendor or customized ARS/VRS support and other ML features). Fewer CUs than 52 w/ higher clock.
  • RAM- 12GB GDDR6 @~512GB/s + 4GB LPDDR4 (1-1.5GB cache for SSD and 2.5-3GB OS)
  • Internal Storage- 1TB custom NVMe SSD with a raw throughput eclipsing XSX's 2.4GB/s
  • Proprietary fixed performance expandable storage akin to XSX's
  • Expecting secret sauce to be making impactful changes to how CPU, GPU, RAM and primary storage talk to one another reducing I/O overheads and seeing notable performance gain as well how data is structured while storing and retrieving from primary storage.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
False equivalence since MS have been dripping out info consistently for multiple months, and Sony have been near completely silent. Of course more people are interested in the first sizeable official info - particularly those interested in the console space, and this weird brand / platform warrior drama.

But PS5 outsold Xbox 2:1 worldwide, why wouldn't it have more interst from people in general?

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
why does a thread about the Sony console automatically mean it's full of embarrassing fanboys just because it's having more traction?
Pointing out the differences is making you a fanboy according to the poster. I dont think it necessary but its even more unnecessary to get such hostile comments in return.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Final prediction (I'll be over the moon if PS5 exceeds it):
  • CPU- 3.4-3.8GHz frequency (presumably variable if they go the same route as MS with two clocks for SIMD and non-SIMD)
  • GPU- 9.216 - 10.7 TF (theoretical) RDNA 2 (vendor or customized ARS/VRS support and other ML features). Fewer CUs than 52 w/ higher clock.
  • RAM- 12GB GDDR6 @~512GB/s + 4GB LPDDR4 (1-1.5GB cache for SSD and 2.5-3GB OS)
  • Internal Storage- 1TB custom NVMe SSD with a raw throughput eclipsing XSX's 2.4GB/s
  • Proprietary fixed performance expandable storage akin to XSX's
  • Expecting secret sauce to be making impactful changes to how CPU, GPU, RAM and primary storage talk to one another reducing I/O overheads and seeing notable performance gain as well how data is structured while storing and retrieving from primary storage.

I'm so jealous of you guys that know exactly what you're talking about with this stuff. I always read this stuff in amazement lol
I recognize RAM and CPU lmao

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous. The announcement thread for PS5 is already longer than the specs thread for Series X...

Phil still has a lot of work to do to win the hype and heart of Era.
Not really, theres a higher portion of Sony fans on this forum. We have polls that state as much. And that Naughty Dog thread recently demonstrates this further (tone is less incendiary and more forgiving as opposed to similar thread for CDPR + Rockstar).
www.resetera.com

Poll - What current gen gaming platforms do you own?

So, we're closing in on the end of the generation, next generation is roughly a year away going by rumors, we know Sony is dominating like never before with the PS4 worldwide on hardware sales and Switch is playing catch up. But lets take a peek at what the userbases look like among core gamers...

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
But PS5 outsold Xbox 2:1 worldwide, why wouldn't it have more interst from people in general?

I'm sure you meant PS4 - and I completely agree - it's yet another variable. My point is simply that its false equivalence to say that is all there is to it. It also doesn't represent very many people vs those actually interested and not in the forum. Haven't followed the full thread, so maybe its already been brought up countless times

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It would be great if Sony announces a similar policy regarding cross-gen as Microsoft has. Buy a SIE PS4 game, get the PS5 version for free with 3rd party publishers being able to do the same if they want to.

Didn't an insider say that Sony has their own version of that, but it'll go by a different name? Given their push for a smooth and fast transition to the PS5, it makes sense to have something like that.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Wrong. In April 2019 they started nextgen talk, then in October 2019 they unveiled some more information, in January 2020 they reiterated on some of the things they talked about and 2 months after they are doing a technical deep dive.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Not really, theres a higher portion of Sony fans on this forum. We have polls that state as much. And that Naughty Dog thread recently demonstrates this further (less incendiary and more forgiving as opposed to similar reports from CDPR + Rockstar).
www.resetera.com

So, we're closing in on the end of the generation, next generation is roughly a year away going by rumors, we know Sony is dominating like never before with the PS4 worldwide on hardware sales and Switch is playing catch up. But lets take a peek at what the userbases look like among core gamers...
I wouldn't say it's a higher portion of Sony fans. More like a higher portion of people here bought a PS4 because the Xbox One didn't appeal to them.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Not really, theres a higher portion of Sony fans on this forum. We have polls that state as much. And that Naughty Dog thread recently demonstrates this further (less incendiary and more forgiving as opposed to similar reports from CDPR + Rockstar).
www.resetera.com

Yeah It's pretty lop-sided.

Well this late in the game it's hard to change habits.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hope Sony pays Antonio Banderas a million dollars to come out on stage and introduce this thing. CDPR already got Keanu. One up them Sony, let's have a ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.