• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Rumors point out that the new Xbox is already beefier than the PS5. Even if the PS5 stays below in terms of raw power, the games is what will make the difference between a win or disaster. Hoping they make a full reveal of the look and specs of the console and stop the teasing.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
So was Sony just waiting all this time for Xbox to show their hand? Does that mean Sony is confident with what they have? Or did the Xbox reveal force Sony's hand?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This feels contrary to Jason's previous "both consoles are very close" statements.
Who's to say this technical-minded person doesn't think the same of the Series X's hardware. Both consoles could have the most exciting hardware in 20 years.
They might have tied teraflops and both be capable of producing a lot of shit on screen at once.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they take that approach as well. I only speculated the design will be shown (having zero knowledge of how these things work) because I feel like you almost can't talk about innards without bringing up the cooling solution.

That said, I'm not certain a GDC talk would be the place they'd choose to reveal the design either in this age.

I'm 50/50 on it.
Yeah, I wouldn't say yes or no on it, for sure. But cooling solutions as user-facing 'selling point' only really became a thing with the Xbox One X I feel... Sony has never emphasized it in marketing. But maybe they will this time, especially if it's something unusual in the consumer device also, as apparently is the case in the dev kits.

I think, though, they could even do that without explicitly showing the design. I feel if the design was going to be shown, they'd bill it more generally as a reveal of the PS5, rather than being more specific about it being a drilldown on system architecture. They know they can get another marketing boost out of just the design reveal later...i mean look at the logo reveal ;) But we''ll see.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
83.6k likes on twitter already!

The thirst is damn real it seems lol.

Absolutely cannot wait for tomorrow and best of all, no more having to deal with github bullshit anymore!

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Can't say I was very excited watching/reading yesterday's XSX deep dive and feel equally flat for PS5 given the current virus situation but at least Mark Cerny will be some ASMR therapy if nothing else.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
So was Sony just waiting all this time for Xbox to show their hand? Does that mean Sony is confident with what they have? Or did the Xbox reveal force Sony's hand?

Jason said Cerny's presentation has been planned for a while and was originally meant for GDC. So either it's a coincidence or it's MS who thought it necessary to beat Sony to the punch by a couple of days with their own "deep dive".

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy i cant wait!!

giphy.gif

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Honestly all this back and forth is bullshit. I'll take both boxes for the PS5 exclusives and Xbox gamepass, and play multiplats where they look best (though I think the Xbox controller might pull me in that direction because I despise symmetrical analogue sticks.)

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Jason said Cerny's presentation has been planned for a while and was originally meant for GDC. So either it's a coincidence or it's MS who thought it necessary to beat Sony to the punch by a couple of days.

Yeah if the presentation was previously planned MS might have shown early because they are confident they have the better specs. This would, in turn, make tomorrow's reveal underwhelming.

Either way doesn't matter, both will be magical and blow our minds!

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
With the difference in TFlop/s between PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X about to be revealed, I wonder if some other unknown metric could replace discussion on floating point operations. How about Traversed Edges Per Second (TEPS), that's something that hasn't been communicated (yet) for either system, right?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Can't say I was very excited watching/reading yesterday's XSX deep dive and feel equally flat for PS5 given the current virus situation but at least Mark Cerny will be some ASMR therapy if nothing else.
It's not just the virus situation. People will realize that hardware news and discussions after the reveal get boring fast. What we really need is next gen gameplay and not just tech demos. And that applies to both the PS5 and the Series X

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea yea yea specsy smecsky - but will they demo those new specs on an upcoming PS5 title? That's the meat I wanna see.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't say yes or no on it, for sure. But cooling solutions as user-facing 'selling point' only really became a thing with the Xbox One X I feel... Sony has never emphasized it in marketing. But maybe they will this time, especially if it's something unusual in the consumer device also, as apparently is the case in the dev kits.

I think, though, they could even do that without explicitly showing the design. I feel if the design was going to be shown, they'd bill it more generally as a reveal of the PS5, rather than being more specific about it being a drilldown on system architecture. They know they can get another marketing boost out of just the design reveal later...i mean look at the logo reveal ;) But we''ll see.

didn't Jim Ryan say he regretted not showing the box in feb 2013? If this is just a tech deep dove they may not show it. If this is a hybrid of the planned GDC session and a more marketing focused reveal perhaps put off from February, then I think they'll show the box

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL

EDIT:
Very true. I only really thought they may include it because of the complaints about PS4's cooling (personally, my Pro's fan has never been loud, except weirdly using the menu in God of War) and the overemphasized fans in the dev kit, but they've also never really 'responded' to complaints via conferences/marketing, usually they just quietly fix things.

EDIT:
Yeah, this is what I'd prefer tbh. I don't need to see the console tomorrow.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Xbox's specs were probably supposed to be discussed at GDC, that's why they showed it this week. The same can be applied to Sony in this scenario.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yea yea yea specsy spemcsky - but will they demo those new specs on an upcoming PS5 title? That's the meat I wanna see.

Nah I dont think they generally do a tech showcase on an unannounced game. Expect something similar to MS's talk about Gears 5 and Minecraft, i.e. something like Death Stranding or TLOU2

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
TFs really don't mean much to me...I see what ND, Guerrllia, Insomniac, SP, etc. are doing now on current hardware and can only fucking imagine what they'll do with PS5 whether it's 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, or whatever...

It's gonna be glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.