Status
Not open for further replies.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I think the PS5 will be more powerful than we expected but the BC with every PS console ever seems like fan fiction hype.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
When consumers go buy a laptop they look for higher numbers.

If someone Google's what's better and one has higher of some number, then sure. That would matter at least to some extent.
Sony advertised a lot the PS4 being the most powerful

----

I wonder with backcompat if it would be possible to play this game:

XxUT18y.jpg
I agree on the face of things but I've never known a non-enthusiast consumer to care about the intricacies of a GPU.

When comparing things, I maintain that the general populace only responds in any meaningful way to price, games and features.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious as to how many people arguing over teraflops even know what a teraflop is or does. Is this like in the SNES/Genesis days when they used to market games based on how many Megs they were? Just a higher number=better thing?
BLAST PROCESSING! That is going to be the Secret Sauce. Sony has been working with Sega on how they engineered Blast Processing back in the Genesis days and they have been secretly working on a 2020 version of Blast Processing. "Sony does what MS don't" will be the slogan during the holidays.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Full BC from PS1-PS4 is great but Sony should make those old games available on PS Store. I don't want to hunt down a copy of Taito Legends so I can play it on PS5.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Even if we don't see new game announcements, hope we see some sick tech demos like those extreme face close-ups Quantic Dreams always used to show-off

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
For some reason I can't see this thread on the main gaming forum page? Not even on my watched thread list. I definitely don't have it ignored either.

The only way for me to get here is clicking a notification that I've been quoted.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
It's weird because MS seemed really confident around the specs, and all the Sony leaks were pretty negative, but doing this days after the glowing XSX spec write up would definitely suggest confidence on Sony's part too. Interested to see what this is.

Hardware there doesn't means PS5. That is a reference to both consoles I believe...

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I agree on the face of things but I've never known a non-enthusiast consumer to care about the intricacies of a GPU.

When comparing things, I maintain that the general populace only responds in any meaningful way to price, games and features.

you're right. The general public doesnt give a single solitary fuck about specs. Like yes, hype over power can exist, it did with the PS2 for sure, and it did to a certain extent last gen with the PS4 and Xbox at launch, but your average consumer couldn't tell you why those consoles were bigger or better, they just heard that they were. That's all hype and marketing.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
When consumers go buy a laptop they look for higher numbers.

If someone Google's what's better and one has higher of some number, then sure. That would matter at least to some extent.
Sony advertised a lot the PS4 being the most
powerul

I don't think that has ever been really true in video games, and I question if that is even true in general consumer products.

DS outsold Vita
Wii outsold ps3
Ps2 wasn't the most powerful console on market at the time.
Ps3 had to fight back against the 360

Alienhated

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could read my other posts where I said they should do live stream State-of-Play variant to properly reveal the console instead of assuming the stupid conclusion possible.
I think they'll have some kind of proper event with games and design reveal later this year anyway, hopefully not just three months before it comes out.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that has ever been really true in video games, and I question if that is even true in general consumer products.

DS outsold Vita
Wii outsold ps3
Ps2 wasn't the most powerful console on market at the time.
Ps3 had to fight back against the 360

PS2 was marketed on the back of power, but it wasn't tech specs. Consumers knew PS2 was powerful, they couldn't tell you why, but it was incredibly effective. It was more "saddam Hussein is trying to buy PS2s to launch missiles" and less "GPU power is approximately X% more capable than its competitors"

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
You don't see MS making a comeback? You do realize how their studios have grown, right? I would say it's at least very promising, let's wait and see what these new games will be all about.

They have been making right moves and have been improving, I will give them credit for that but it's not like before where they were doing their best to get exclusive Japanese developed games like in the OG Xbox/360 days. I'll admit I'm a bit biased because their exclusives just seem to always be retreading old ground whereas I feel PS seems to know what gamers want more. It's why they won this generation. I'm in no way saying Xbox doesn't have any good exclusives, but their latest partnerships don't impress me much and I think they're gonna be in a position again where they may have the most powerful console for 3rd party games, but are lacking in unique 1st party titles.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Are they actually going to show the system or is another spiderman flyover? Blog link doesn't go to a story.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
A dev said the PS4 was the most excited hardware in 20 years? If who said these words was a pr guy or a 1st party dev in a promotional video then sure I understand the skepticism. However, a dev mentioned that to a journalist behind the scenes, and if it wasn't for Jason mentioning it we wouldn't even know about his opinion.

That tweet is about both machines, not just the PS5. The new hardware us exciting because of the inclusion of RT, SSD and powerful CPUs.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Are people really that invested in how many teraflops this thing is/has/does? Who cares, honestly?
Honestly what is this silliness?

What people care about is if they buy multiplatform game on the new Xbox or new Playstation. Which one is going to run better, in terms of framerate, resolution or graphical effects.

Teraflops are a metric comparing two machines that is an analogue for that.

You can't just go "teraflops don't matter"
Or "both consoles are great"

When people want to inform their purchasing decisions based upon some metric.

Like what's more important? CPU clock speed? Memory bandwidth?
ROPs? (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_output_unit)

The fact is one of these boxes is going to run better.
It's a question of which one, that's why people have fixated on teraflops.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
they just heard that they were. That's all hype and marketing.

Pretty much. Specs capture the enthusiasts who then spread the message, and I feel like it's amplified now because of the internet. The average consumer will likely prioritize price and games, and despite not being able to explain how or why, they might still hear which is the most powerful, so it's still a factor even if it's role is limited when compared to aforementioned price, games etc.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Honestly what is this silliness?

What people care about is if they buy multiplatform game on the new Xbox or new Playstation. Which one is going to run better, in terms of framerate, resolution or graphical effects.

Teraflops are a metric comparing two machines that is an analogue for that.

You can't just go "teraflops don't matter"
Or "both consoles are great"

When people want to inform their purchasing decisions based upon some metric.

Like what's more important? CPU clock speed? Memory bandwidth?
ROPs? (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_output_unit)

The fact is one of these boxes is going to run better.
It's a question of which one, that's why people have fixated on teraflops.
This. The industry tweets being quoted repeatedly are ignoring why people want a number without offering evidence to supersede the number they're trying to divert attention from. It's just vague "please be excited" and "it's great" that you'll hear from any executive no matter how weak the system ends up.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Full BC from PS1-PS4 is great but Sony should make those old games available on PS Store. I don't want to hunt down a copy of Taito Legends so I can play it on PS5.
This is, in a lot of cases, impossible.

The only way, for example, to ever play Gran Turismo 2 again on a modern system would be if it allowed you to play off the disc you already have.

A digital-only BC system will forever be handicapped due to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.