Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's an interesting time for gaming, my own opinion is MS will make exclusive games for Scarlett and let people know that, there will be games on gamepass they need that machine for but there is a library of games they can play if they don't.

That's what I'm hoping for and if they manage it well, people will understand.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
From what we know Ghosts is and probably TLOU2 as it's development has basically coincided with the PS5

The fact that ps5 is backwards compatible is a guarantee that they will use those current big games like TLOU2 has a selling point for ps5 too. Hey, play it again, but on ps5! Its common sense. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Is there really going to be a huge difference in how a game designed from scratch for the PS5 will be, compared to a cross-generation game?

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
We know nothing about Ghost's release date and TLoU II releases before the PS5 so it can't be a crossgen game.

It literally will launch a few months ahead of the PS5 it will be a crossgen game thinking otherwise is just silly. Ghosts was announced as a PS4 game from what we know that is still the case unless that changes that's all we can go on.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Games may be held back but overtime the 'next gen' versions could become different. Sort of like FFXIV, eventually they stopped supporting the PS3 version to focus on the newest builds for the PC/PS4 versuons.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It literally will launch a few months ahead of the PS5 it will be a crossgen game thinking otherwise is just silly.
You're contradicting yourself, it can't be a crossgen title if it launches months before the PS5, getting a PS5 version or improvements later doesn't make it a crossgen game.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that ps5 is backwards compatible is a guarantee that they will use those current big games like TLOU2 has a selling point for ps5 too. Hey, play it again, but on ps5! Its common sense. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves.

That's not the same as developing a game for PS5 (for example) with the PS4 version in mind. TLOU2 is being developed for the PS4 and will be enhanced for the PS5, which is a big difference.

Not saying Sony won't release cross-gen games for the PS5/PS4.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So will you be annoyed when Ghosts and TLOU2 are ported to PS5?

What if Last of Us 2 comes to PS5 at Launch of Console? We riot?!
1. The PS5 is BC so those games will be there day one anyway (and I very much doubt they'll have separate SKUs). Getting an enhancement patch or something doesn't make them cross-gen games.

2. There will be PS5 exclusives at or near launch that aren't playable on the PS4

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what we know Ghosts is and probably TLOU2 as it's development has basically coincided with the PS5
They are made for PS4 not for PS5, they may get a patch (PS5 is bc). Halo is being tounted as the first next gen game for Scarlett while also being assumed needing to run on Xbox one.

New PS5 exclusives games will only run on PS5 and will not be made to run on PS4.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
This is a silly premise, there will just as many cross gen games for the ps5 and developers will always get as much out of the machines as much as budget and time allows.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes the first party launch games will be cross gen I wouldn't expect a huge launch list of exclusives especially at the time it launches which will be around the winter game launch period for everything

i really doubt that. Ps4 launch games such as killzone shadowfall and knack were exclusive to ps4. Im sure there will be similar games at launch to really show off the hardware.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It literally will launch a few months ahead of the PS5 it will be a crossgen game thinking otherwise is just silly. Ghosts was announced as a PS4 game from what we know that is still the case unless that changes that's all we can go on.

Here's the question:

What new, 'big' unannounced SIE games will come to PS4 as well as PS5? Not counting late-cycle family affair stuff, VR stuff, or possibly MP/service games. How many will there be vs PS5 exclusives?

I think there's the expectation that once done with current PS4 stuff, Sony's big studios are more or less moving onto the PS5, and PS5 only for their future work.

From Microsoft it sounds like XB1, and treating XB1/Scarlet as a PC-like scaleable singular software platform for their 1st party games, may be a going concern for some time. That's the (supposed) difference - not that both will or won't port some current-gen games to next gen. Of course they both will, but that's quite different to future hardware support strategy in new games post 2020.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
it's unbelievable to me that people are still misunderstanding Xbox's message. Just so you know OP Sony/Microsoft are doing the same thing

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
That's not the same as developing a game for PS5 (for example) with the PS4 version in mind. TLOU2 is being developed for the PS4 and will be enhanced for the PS5, which is a big difference.

Not saying Sony won't release cross-gen games for the PS5/PS4.

It doesnt make a difference. Gears 4 was developed for xbox one S and they patched it to take advantage of X when X came out. Its not rocket science. TLOU2 will absolutely be pushed on ps5 marketing. Especially if they dont have a big game at launch to compete with Halo.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You nitpicking for what is essentially a few months on how to define crossgen is sad.
Am I really? You're trying to change what crossgen is to fit your argument, Halo and BotW are crossgen titles that launched/will launch day and date on next and last gen consoles, Skyrim isn't a crossgen title just cause it's on both gens.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when Sony was doing always on DRM as well. Sony, MS and Nintendo all have different business strategies and goals.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Having an SSD and actually decent CPU as a baseline will be a big deal for devs and how they design games.
Agreed. Will be a massive jump over base systems.

As for MS. In reality, it will just be like developers making with high end PC's and ssds in mind but at the same time still being able to run on lesser machines. That seems to be the direction MS is going in with Scarlett. It's worked for decades on PC.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Am I really? You're trying to change what crossgen is to fit your argument, Halo and BotW are crossgen titles that launched/will launch day and date on next and last gen consoles, Skyrim isn't a crossgen title just cause it's on both gens.

No I'm saying if you think a few months between a game launch and a console launch means a game isn't crossgen then you are just being obtuse. Skyrim launching on one console then another years later etc means it isn't but that close in time I would say it is very much cross gen.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
You honestly think they wont release, last of us 2, ghost of sushima, dreams etc cross gen?
Those are all PS4 games which will obviously be compatible due to backwards compatibility, the discussion about is games coming after the new consoles launch like HZD2 and whether they will be limited by last gen consoles.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It doesnt make a difference. Gears 4 was developed for xbox one S and they patched it to take advantage of X when X came out. Its not rocket science. TLOU2 will absolutely be pushed on ps5 marketing. Especially if they dont have a big game at launch to compete with Halo.

It actually makes a whole lot of difference. Cross-gen titles (as we know them) are games made for current gen that also have run on previous hardware.

Enhanced games aren't held back, they are actually improved.

Sony will obviously enhance some PS4 games and release them on the PS5, but we don't know if they will actually release new cross-gen games on the PS5 that will also run on the PS4. They didn't with PS4/PS3 so I'm betting they won't this gen.

I may be wrong though.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Scarlett is going to have exclusives at launch, it may only be a couple games but it will. Book it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

As for MS. In reality, it will just be like developers making with high end PC's and ssds in mind but at the same time still being able to run on lesser machines. That seems to be the direction MS is going in with Scarlett. It's worked for decades on PC.
Games on PC have specs requirements and developers can only targets high specs like Star Citizen if they want.
No I'm saying if you think a few months between a game launch and a console launch means a game isn't crossgen then you are just being obtuse.
It does, and you don't really get to change what crossgen means.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
It actually makes a whole lot of difference. Cross-gen titles are games made for a current gen that also have run on previous hardware.

Enhanced games aren't held back, they are actually improved.

Then by your own definition, Halo infinite isnt a crossgen title. Its has been in development for current gen for years and is also being ported to work and take advantage of next gen too. Its literally the same thing.

You cant have your cake and eat it too just so your side wins the argument.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be shocked if Sony put their PS5 games on PS4. Their PS4 stuff will obviously be put on PS5 though.
Though isn't it just a rumour that MS are going to continue to release their next gen stuff on this gen? I wouldn't put much stock in that unless official, plans can quickly change.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Games on PC have specs requirements and developers can only targets high specs like Star Citizen if they want.

It does, and you don't really get to change what crossgen means.
Of course but it's not like the developer makes the game with one spec of PC in mind, with no potential deviation. The higher the push the top end, the harder it will be to make it work on lesser systems for sure. I guess it depends on the game/developer.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

PC minimum requirements keep creeping up though - and maybe I'm wrong on this, but it feels like console transitions are a good help to push minimum requirements along periodically.

It would be 'new' to have a platform holder basically maintaining an unchanged minimum requirement for very long once a new generation arrives - and basically could be a bit of a disruption to what previously has happened to PC min requirements, if the industry in general followed that model.

The question will be, how everyone else trends.

I'm personally hopeful the rest of the industry will, over a relatively normal transition period, tick-tock up to the next generation of consoles as a minimum. I think MS will be forced to eventually too. It's fine to say 'lets support XB1 indefinitely' if you believe games and game development don't need anything more than a XB1 can afford at their core, but I think it's a slightly big statement to make.

(I appreciate I'm paraphrasing what MS has suggested in the above - but if that is their strategy, to keep XB1 as their baseline indefinitely or for longer than traditional in a transition, and we're not just misinterpreting them, then all these questions arise).

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How is it the same?

MS: Our next gen games will also run on Xbox one.
Sony: Our next gen games will only run on PS5
There's a reason why Xcloud servers are confirmed to be replaced by Scarlet hardware. You're not going to see fable on OG Xbox One I mean come on. You will be able to play it through Xcloud though. If a game can run on the old hardware Microsoft will release it. Phil Spencer already said he knows people want next gen games and they are Making them. The launch of both these systems will have games that could run on pro and X and both Sony and Microsoft will let them play on the last gen

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
PC minimum requirements keep creeping up though - and maybe I'm wrong on this, but it feels like console transitions are a good help to push minimum requirements along periodically.

It would be 'new' to have a platform holder basically maintaining an unchanged minimum requirement for very long once a new generation arrives.

The question will be, how everyone else trends.

I'm personally hopeful the rest of the industry will, over a relatively normal transition period, tick-tock up to the next generation of consoles as a minimum. I think MS will be forced to eventually too. It's fine to say 'lets support XB1 indefinitely' if you believe games and game development don't need anything more than a XB1 can afford at their core, but I think it's a slightly big statement to make.

(I appreciate I'm paraphrasing what MS has suggested in the above - but if that is their strategy, to keep XB1 as their baseline indefinitely or for longer than traditional in a transition, and we're not just misinterpreting them, then all these questions arise).
Yeah it's pretty logical that as the Scarlett gains ground, the Xbox baseline will steadily drop. Maybe the 1X becomes the baseline and it becomes affordable. It still means games will work on Xbox One but at some point its not viable to run multiple console gens concurrently. That's probably where Xcloud etc comes in down the line.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Then by your own definition, Halo infinite isnt a crossgen title. Its has been in development for current gen for years and is also being ported to work and take advantage of next gen too. Its literally the same thing.

You cant have your cake and eat it too just so your side wins the argument.

Exactly! If Infinite is developed and released on the base Xbox and X, and then enhanced on the Infinite, it isn't a cross-gen title like we've come to know the practice.

Some examples of cross gen games:
- Destiny
- COD Ghosts
- Battlefield 4
- Titanfall

Btw, not sure what the hell you meant about my side winning the argument.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sticking to a traditional generation seems so outdated to me I don't know why you'd want it

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is wrong in the way that Insomniac already showed an example with Spider-Man where the actual game design was compromised by having to work on HDD instead of SSD as base line - The webswinging speed was constrained by it.

It's not just about scalability of resolution and framerate or shorter loading times. SSD as base line impacts possible game design too, which isn't scalable in nearly the same way.
But that example is exactly why my point still stands that it is possible for cross-gen games to exist. The statement isn't that accessing these hardware-specific upgrades is easy as that obviously would not be the case no matter the generation. My point stands that developers can and no doubt will, as we have seen in previous situations of titles like GTA V or such, utilise the next gen specs for gameplay elements. The notion is that these two generation copies of the same game play in the same loop but most clearly use varied specs that impact gameplay.

It isn't as easy as "okay make two copies then," however it will be far easier than imagined due to the designed aspect games go through. I can turn a NVMe right now into a RAM risk if I so choose and have a game load on it, the performance boost is huge for doing so. The mechanics stay the same yes but if I wanted to I could detect that difference and instead make X do Y if I please.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that a game being scaleable to weaker hardware is "holding it back" is just false.

Game engines are are a lot more scaleable than in the past. Game consoles are a lot more flexible. We see that with games like the Witcher being able to be scaled all the way down to the switch. And no one would argue that the switch held that game back on high end PCs.

If PS5 or the next Xbox has "generational exclusives" day one. That's only to sell you a console, not because the game is so advanced. That'd be purposeful obsolescence of your old hardware.

And IMO that's extremely anti-consumer and not something that should be applauded or celebrated.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Games are becoming very expensive to make to the point in which games that aren't a part of AAA series like Call of Duty or the popular sports are taking 4 years to make/release at minimum. These AAA series need to continue on being relevant in between the release gaps of their entries. Cross gen scalability and cross play are going to be even more popular. More devs will want their games on various systems/devices. The console makers will need to come up with more creative services and/or features to make people buy their console over the competition during the 2020s since probably around 80-85% of games during the upcoming decade will be multiplat (or end up being multiplat via timed exclusivity).

PC games are visually impressive, but the fact that those PC games can be played on outdated hardware specs doesn't hold them back from being impressive on much better hardware.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason why Xcloud servers are confirmed to be replaced by Scarlet hardware. You're not going to see fable on OG Xbox One I mean come on. You will be able to play it through Xcloud though. If a game can run on the old hardware Microsoft will release it. Phil Spencer already said he knows people want next gen games and they are Making them. The launch of both these systems will have games that could run on pro and X and both Sony and Microsoft will let them play on the last gen
So those games are not going to be cross gen. You will need another Subcription to play those games. So those games are being made for Scarlett and can be played through xcloud but you can't buy a disc or digital and play it on the xbox one.

The assumption is the key point there none of us really know
Are you willfully being obtuse(dishonest?) for a reason or am i just misunderstanding you?

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
As it stands from what we know the launch game will be Ghosts which is confirmed for PS4 so yes and TLOU2 will get a patch for it

Ghosts and TLOU2 are PS4 games. They'll likely be patched on PS5 (as I expect all Sony first party titles to be) to run better, but there's a difference between an old game being ported to a new console/running via backwards compatibility, and a new game releasing on two cross-generational consoles at once.

The next Horizon and God of War aren't gonna run on PS4 ever, but we have reason to believe the next few years of Xbox exclusives will run on Xbox One as well as the new console.

Bruh where were you when TLOUR and GTA5 released?

Those were ports that released more than a year after their initial release.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also the notion that cross gen games are held back always seemed like something that wasn't even true.

I'm sure Halo Infinite on Scarlett is going to look just as nice as it would if it was only on Scarlett

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Exactly! If Infinite is developed and released on the base Xbox and X, and then enhanced on the Infinite, it isn't a cross-gen title like we've come to know the practice.

Some examples of cross gen games:
- Destiny
- COD Ghosts
- Battlefield 4
- Titanfall

Btw, not sure what the hell you meant about my side winning the argument.

Right, and ps5 wont have a ton of games at launch, so they will attempt to push the power of ps5 by showing how quickly TLOU2, God of War and spiderman look and run on next gen hardware. They will absolutely enhance those games to show off the power of the ps5. Hell, they already did it with Spiderman in that demo.

Thats my point. Sony wont just sit back and not use their current hits when they can enhance them and try and push the next hardware. The xbox one X is proof enough that people want that and Sony will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.