Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Lordy and to think I was just as excited if not more for this than the NES Classic. Shit library, bad emulations, no filters or any of that. Bring me the N64 Classic, Nintendo.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before, but I really don't think we as a community should be supporting these as as retro solutions. I realize people enjoy the mini form factors and holding the original controllers, but both in Nintendo and now Sony's case, this is coming at the expense of the development of a better, more encompassing, less inherently limited solution to retro gaming. My dream would be software based service with complete compatibility, and possibly marketing special versions of the original controllers for enthusiasts. But with every major selling mini console release, we're headed away from that and towards a multi-mini console future (cue up the N64 mini announcement)

I still don't see why anyone would buy this rather than use emulators on PC...

Well you need original copies of the games to dump in order to do that.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Nes classic has been hacked retro engineered to hell and back , the emulator they were using was a staging version of the BSD branch of Higan for the NES and same goes for the SNES , they repurposed slighty tweaked and boom bob's your uncle it has been proven by members of the open source community time and again through various conventions I don't even have to furnish sources and just tell to go to your nearest Linux + BSD users convention and ask them to show it to you trust me they'll gladly give you all you need.

And once you start to read the source code once decompiled what is Canoe ? oh right nothing more than a repurposed version of a staging BSD core of Higan ...

"I don't even have to show you sources"

l m a o

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
One upside to this using PCSX is I imagine compatibility with non-included games injected via homebrew will be pretty strong, probably won't get as many issues with unsupported mappers and such like on NES+SNES Classic

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Cancelled my pre-order.

Sony clearly doesn't give a fuck; they put zero effort into this.

I'm now concerned about the quality of BC on the PS5 as well.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
This thing is such a failure of a product, obviously rushed out by sony with zero care.

Cash grabs off coat tails usually are. That, in combination with the fact that I own originals that I like of PSX games appearing on this unit, and have a Pi/PC, AND have purchased a few of these for Vita/PS3...there's only so far that the cute factor for desktop items will take me.

First party development from them has really impressed me, but between this and lackluster BC capes I've been giving them the side-eye.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I see you've been listening to Alex Jones.
If you consider the gaming section of SCaLE the biggest meetup between open source devs of the Linux and BSD communities with their users listening to alex jones then yes I have been listening to alex jones.
A convention where some of the members of NERD themselves admitted on stage that's where they started their job by taking a BSD core of higan for low powered SoC's that some BSD passionate devs were working on and from there forked it and developed Canoe for Nintendo ...
So yeah I've been listening to Alex Jones alright ...

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
If you consider the gaming section of SCaLE the biggest meetup between open source devs of the Linux and BSD communities with their users listening to alex jones then yes I have been listening to alex jones.
A convention where some of the members of NERD themselves admitted on stage that's where they started their job by taking a BSD core of higan for low powered SoC's that some BSD passionate devs were working on and from there forked it and developed Canoe for Nintendo ...
So yeah I've been listening to Alex Jones alright ...
that is still completely different than sony just using a open source emulator outright

also nice backtracking from your original claim

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not sales wise. Only the Hardcore will know that PS Classic have bad emulation. PS1 is more popular than N64 for most of the world. This will at most reduce sales of PS classic by less than 3%. The initial shipment will get sold out.

But it may affect future sales if word of mouth is bad.
If they get Goldeneye and other Rare games on the N64 Classic, I think it would easily stomp the PS1 Mini.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Regardless of internet articles or echo chambers, the reality is that this is still going to sell a heck of a lot.

It's the Playstation 1.

I'm not so sure about that. Pre-orders seem quite slower than Nintendo minis so far, but we'll see soon, I guess. If Sony doesn't provide hard sale numbers, we'll know It wasn't a success.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
One upside to this using PCSX is I imagine compatibility with non-included games injected via homebrew will be pretty strong, probably won't get as many issues with unsupported mappers and such like on NES+SNES Classic
its only the nes classic that suffers from the unsupported mappers. snes classic emulator will work with the vast majority of snes games

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Might bode well for homebrew. Space will likely be the biggest issue.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
that is still completely different than sony just using a open source emulator outright

The only difference is that Sony not only went lazy with it , and to compound the lazyness seems to have relied on a real oooold version of PCSX-reloaded or one of its derivative.

So I at least tip my hat to the members of NERD to have worked a bit more and I even congratulate them to have been forward with us in the open source community and admit it at one of our conventions rahter than having to sue Nintendo to find out.

Doesn't change the fact that Canoe wasn't made from scratch they relied on the open source community already well advanced job and with their team landed the finishing touches.

That's major what issue I take with people saying "Nintendo at least developped their own emulator" to which I have to be the "pendantic party pooper" and remind everyone "yes but not completly from scratch"

So Sony using open source I have nothing against it if anything go for it great idea . But maybe go the Nintendo route rather than going hush hush and being lazy about it...

also nice backtracking from your original claim
Claryfing your point and correcting people on their beliefs by adding more info is "backtracking" riiiighhhtt ...

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
its only the nes classic that suffers from the unsupported mappers. snes classic emulator will work with the vast majority of snes games

Ah was thinking of the Digital Foundry Super Nt review where a few graphical and sound issues showed up with unsupported games, but yeah does seem like compatibility broadly speaking isn't as big an issue there

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Sad to see how the company which first brought backwards compatibility to the masses takes such bad care of it's legacy.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it's a PlayStation Mini console and the games play "just fine". Well great. Exactly what I want and why I preordered two of them. Soon they will be mine.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
If it included Silent Hill, Tomb Raider and Vagrant Story, among others, I would get it anyway, but such a mediocre game selection with mediocre overall functionality... preorder cancelled.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just me but it seems the gaming press is being way more harsher on Sony for this than Nintendo.

I really don't get why Nintendo is the only company allowed to make classic consoles.

The SNES classic has four save slots for save states, pause, and rewind, as well as different display options. The PlayStation Classic has one slot and no display options. They didn't even put the regional versions on the correct consoles. The press is hard on them because this is a quick cash grab with no effort put into it. Retailing at $100 is a joke as well when the library is underwhelming and it's possibly using PCSX.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds bad just like the game selection. Big missed opportunity this for sony, they could have made something much bettter and appealing.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
these impressions are already disappointing, but I want to know what happens when you boot the console. they had to get that right at least

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like trash and they didn't even write their own emulator. This should be half the price it sells for, tops.

Hopefully they made additions and/or fixes to PCSX though since that means they have to release the new source code.
Has there been a teardown yet? What chipset is it running?
Probably contains the bare minimum ARM-SoC to run this shit. N64 Mini is most likely more powerful than this.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Yikes, I think I'm out. I was hoping for proper emulation on this, but it's not good and has little to no options.
I guess it really was a money grab. I'm still going to follow the news on this, maybe the hacking scene will be able to improve this thing.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So with the controllers just being regular USB we can just plug our own DS3 or DS4 into them for analog controls, correct?

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Yikes, I think I'm out. I was hoping for proper emulation on this, but it's not good and has little to no options.
I guess it really was a money grab. I'm still going to follow the news on this, maybe the hacking scene will be able to improve this thing.
Well if it is indeed a repurposed Vita/PSTV (let's hope they didn't gimped it) then yeah trust me the hacking scene will figure this baby out real quick.

(cool thing with ARM processors is that their design is so straight forward that getting inside is generally a breeze )

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
If they get Goldeneye and other Rare games on the N64 Classic, I think it would easily stomp the PS1 Mini.

I imagine they've worked out something with MS, and given their relationship it's quite possible. I'm struggling to think of 30 games( the rumored number) if Rare's notable titles aren't included, especially with other known titles that wouldn't be possible due to licensing ( Aki titles, Tony Hawk, etc)

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Going without dual shock always seemed like an indication of going in the wrong direction with this.

I'll be equally upset if there's no rumble pak with the mini N64

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well if it is indeed a repurposed Vita/PSTV (let's hope they didn't gimped it) then yeah the trust the hacking scene will figure this baby out real quick.

(cool thing with ARM processors is that their design is so straight forward that getting inside is generally a breeze )
No way in hell, although that would explain the price of the device. 99.9% sure this is just a low-powered cheap ARM SoC with a GPU that's much less extensive than what's included with the Vita.

I don't believe Eurogamer in this by the way. Absolutely nothing even remotely hints towards this being the same hardware as a Vita/PSTV. This product is maximum profit with minimum effort.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
No way in hell, although that would explain the price of the device. 99.9% sure this is just a low-powered cheap ARM SoC with a GPU that's much less extensive than what's included with the Vita.
Hey I'm not the one making that assumption EuroGamer guys and gals did make that assumption.
Hence why I said that if it is indeed a repurposed Vita/PSTV then getting inside is already something that has been figured out.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
This is just Sony jumping on the bandwagon as fast as possible. Not really surprised. Rushed to market for Christmas.