Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Intelligent Qube is definitely a classic, on top of being a surprisingly addicting puzzle game. Probably one of the better games to come out of this bundle. Even if it isn't on the definition of someone's classic, Intelligent Qube has nothing to prove regarding its quality. People will find a lot to appreciate and I don't think they will consider it an unworthy addition to the roster, being surprised on games you never played before is also one of the qualities that bundles like those can bring.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'll be buying one, but let me be honest. This is looking like a cheap cash in. Lets be honest, this is not authenic curated list of the Playstation era. If you gave the NES/SNES classic to someone in a bubble, who never played in that era, they would walk away exposed to a well represented cross selection of games that cuts to the core of that era. The same cannot be said of this release. It's like a history book of the 20th century that omits 99% of WW2.

Obviously there are many contsraints for Sony and certain games would not make it no matter what due to license issues. But lets not mince words. This is a half baked product picking up on what Nintendo started with the classic NES.

With that said, as with the NES/SNES classic once you can mod the system we all win. So fingers crossed.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Intelligent Qube is definitely a classic, on top of being a surprisingly addicting puzzle game. Probably one of the better games to come out of this bundle. Even if it isn't on the definition of someone's classic, Intelligent Qube has nothing to prove regarding its quality. People will find a lot to appreciate and I don't think they will consider it an unworthy addition to the roster, being surprised on games you never played before is also one of the qualities that bundles like those can bring.

Yes, I agree. Devil Dice would have been a nice addition for the Western version too because it's an honest-to-God indie title from a time before indies really existed on mainstream consoles.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you have the NES/SNES classic to someone in a bubble they would have a well represented cross selection of games that cuts to the core of that era.

This would only speak ill to the catalogue of the NES and SNES if this was true and we both know it isn't. All those bundles cannot possibly cut to the core of the era in 20 games.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Activision owns the Crash and Spyro IPs but Sony funded and owns the publishing rights to those specific games. To release those games on any systems, both Activision and Sony have to sign off on them.

That's what I figured. It's why the Crash/Spyro PS1 games never made it to Vita in NA.

It's a shame CTR isn't on the PS Classic. My assumption is that Activision didn't approve of it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Battle Arena Toshinden -> Bloody Roar 2
Cool Boarders 2 -> Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII -> Final Fantasy VI/VIII/IX
Grand Theft Auto -> Driver
Intelligent Qube -> Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Jumping Flash!
Metal Gear Solid
Mr. Driller -> Crash Team Racing
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee -> Symphony of the Night
Rayman
Resident Evil™ Director's Cut -> Resident Evil 2
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4 -> Wipeout 2097
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six ->Tomb Raider II
Twisted Metal -> Twisted Metal 2
Wild Arms

Some of these are really odd choices. A lot of them really don't hold up that well today. Which is to be expected but they could at least feel like they belong on the PS1 Classic. The original Rainbow Six over something like Tomb Raider? Another problem with this list is that they mostly went with the first game in each series when often times the sequels were much better games. Not to mention that stuff like Final Fantasy VII and the first Resident Evil can be played so easily elsewhere these days. A different game in those series would have been much more interesting. A lot of these are definitely personal preferences but I'm still disappointed.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it would've been easy if they picked games based on those Greatest Hits green labels.

Oct 25, 2017
So my list of 20 if I was in charge would have been as below, which means shared choices with the official list is...just six. Not too pumped about the official offerings.
I don't expect there to be much room to add games but I hope the community can at least figure out how to remove/add so that I can put my own list on there for myself.

Castlevania SotN
Crash Bandicoot
FF7
Gran Turismo 2
LoK Soul Reaver
MediEvil
Mega Man Legends
MGS
Oddworld Abes Oddysee
Rayman

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Ridge Racer T4
Silent Hill
Spyro
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tekken 3
Tomb Raider
Twisted Metal 2
Wipeout 3

Oct 31, 2017
The PlayStation Classic wins on nostalgia factor and the convenience of coming with a pile of games out of box, but the PS TV wins on just about everything else, and plays a pretty huge variety of PSOne games, with the additional ability to play PSP games (and a selection of Vita games) as a bonus.

A selection of PSP and Vita games I would say.

Oct 30, 2017
Persona 1? Really? I like it but it's not exactly a good game. Should've been P2. Either way I have the disc copies, but still a weird decision.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be buying one, but let me be honest. This is looking like a cheap cash in. Lets be honest, this is not authenic curated list of the Playstation era. If you gave the NES/SNES classic to someone in a bubble, who never played in that era, they would walk away exposed to a well represented cross selection of games that cuts to the core of that era. The same cannot be said of this release. It's like a history book of the 20th century that omits 99% of WW2.

Obviously there are many contsraints for Sony and certain games would not make it no matter what due to license issues. But lets not mince words. This is a half baked product picking up on what Nintendo started with the classic NES.

With that said, as with the NES/SNES classic once you can mod the system we all win. So fingers crossed.
well put. with the lineup of games the system comes with, it really won't be able to represent a classic console in the way NES/SNES classic did. but if/once it gets hacked, then it won't really matter.

This would only speak ill to the catalogue of the NES and SNES if this was true and we both know it isn't. All those bundles cannot possibly cut to the core of the era in 20 games.
but those 20 games do a way better job of representing their respective consoles than these 20 games.

Last edited:

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Really surprised to see no Ape Escape, Parappa, Gran Turismo 2, Tomba or Tenchu. Especially the first three, which were strongly associated with the PSX branding during the late 90s. Magazines were stepping over themselves gushing about Ape Escape's dual analog controls and the original flavor of Parappa.

Hecht

Bonk initiated
On Break
Oct 24, 2017
That seems like a somewhat solid list.

Actually kind of interested - Toshinden was my first PS1 game (with Wild ARMs being second).

Surprised to see Persona 1 on there (though I can understand why P2 isn't, considering it's incomplete in the west).

That said I have most of the ones I'd want on digital so it's not a Day 1 purchase or anything for me.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I see that they'd want you to pay for Crash Bandicoot on the PS4, but Silent Hill and Dino Crisis would have been nice additions.

Dood

Oct 27, 2017
The list is a bit soulless.
I honestly wonder why they included so many games already available through PSN instead of offering some fresh in-house titles like Medievil 2 or more classic titles like Alundra (can't imagine it being any less popular in the west than Wild Arms).

Oh, and I REALLY hope they won't give us Europeans the "slower game with huge black borders" treatment again.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I pre-orderd this and I'm only excited about FF and Resident Evil. I'll play those games to death but I don't know how I feel about the rest of the lineup to be honest.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
That seems like a somewhat solid list.

Actually kind of interested - Toshinden was my first PS1 game (with Wild ARMs being second).

Surprised to see Persona 1 on there (though I can understand why P2 isn't, considering it's incomplete in the west).

That said I have most of the ones I'd want on digital so it's not a Day 1 purchase or anything for me.
Yeah. Those were two of my first games for the system as well.

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, I just tried making a definitive list (#1) :D

Arc the Lad
Arc the Lad 2
Breath of Fire 4
Devil Dice
Dino Crisis 2
Fear Effect
Fear Effect 2
FF9
Front Mission 3
Gradius Gaiden
Grandia
Klonoa
MGS
Parasite Eve
RE3
Ridge Racer 4
Rival Schools
Soul Reaver
Tekken 3
Vagrant Story

Thoughts ?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
A selection of PSP and Vita games I would say.
That's fair, although I did want to try to make some kind of distinction between the broad range of PSP games that it's compatible with compared to the much smaller number of compatible Vita games. There's some big names missing, of course, but based on the European compatibility list, it plays 624 PSP games (including Minis) versus just 215 Vita games.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Would have bit if this had the ability to scan any CDs and thus allowing something like Monster Rancher 2 to flourish but alas. That's asking too much I Guess.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's because you like JRPGs the most (like me) :) But the US set was never getting that many JRPG slots. The US one has more variety.
Nah son, it's because its got my boy, G-Darius.

tumblr_nywwticlla1r7sijxo1_500.gif

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Lack of DualShock makes even modding a pointless endeavor.
All it takes is for 8Bitdo or some other retro console manufacturer to put out a Dual Shock clone with a bluetooth receiver that fits into the controller port.

I imagine if this thing is as popular as people hope and think it will be, those things will be churned out in short order.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if JAPANESE version is region locked?
There's no way to region lock it (since it's just HDMI output and all the games are included). So a Japanese machine will work anywhere, though you can probably expect the different games to be Japanese only with no alternate language.

All it takes is for 8Bitdo or some other retro console manufacturer to put out a Dual Shock clone with a bluetooth receiver that fits into the controller port.

I imagine if this thing is as popular as people hope and think it will be, those things will be churned out in short order.
Who knows, some standard USB controllers/receivers might work already, potentially including the 8Bitdo receiver. That's already compatible with PS4 controllers.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is a solid list in both regions but not a perfect one. I'd personally want Suikoden II, Final Fantasy IX, Resident Evil 2, and Symphony of the Night on there, then it'd pretty much be perfect, but I don't think this is bad as it is. I'm still tempted to grab one for access to big screen versions of Ridge Racer 4 and Tekken 3 -- those two games alone have had me intrigued since this thing was announced.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I see why it may seem sexy to go with originals but Twisted Metal 2 and Toshinden 2 are vastly superior to the originals. Why would anyone play the original TM over the sequel?

Im surprised Intelligent Qube is there, i loved the demo but didnt think many people actually bought the game. Id say i played that demo and the one with Hot Shots Golf were my most played PSN magazine demos.

Oct 31, 2017
That's fair, although I did want to try to make some kind of distinction between the broad range of PSP games that it's compatible with compared to the much smaller number of compatible Vita games. There's some big names missing, of course, but based on the European compatibility list, it plays 624 PSP games (including Minis) versus just 215 Vita games.

Yeah, the Vita selection is indeed smaller.

In the end, the PSTV I own will likely become my PS Classic.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Arena Toshinden was the first PSX game I ever played. RE1 was the second. I did not play through it for many years lol.

That said I'm sad it doesn't include Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, Soul Edge, etc in their original forms. I'm getting the remakes and sequels but PSX Classic is lacking its key titles. Maybe they'll do a PSone Classic with Dual Shock support.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Nah son, it's because its got my boy, G-Darius.

tumblr_nywwticlla1r7sijxo1_500.gif
Nice. Totally forgot about this installment, not sure why since I played older shmups.

Trying to look up some years I think RayStorm was one of my first of these types of games on PS1, thanks to Working Designs publishing it. I think I loved that game, though I don't remember it anymore.

Last edited:

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
not really. this list someone brought up earlier in this thread would be perfectly capable of selling the classic n64 to people
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...manuals/Nintendo-64-games-manuals-990819.html
i think they can work out something with rare if they wanted, but even without their titles theres at least 20 classic titles to make people buy the system. the probelm with ps1 classic isn't event lack of third party games, sony themselves have several titles that would be way better to take up space in the console instead of some questionable third party choices.

There was never a problem with the amount or quality of PS1 third party games, it just means they haven't got control of them for the ps1 classic. If their first party library was as good as the N64 then you wouldn't have people disappointed in this collection.

The N64 classic could be filled up with first party content, no problem, but the Rare games are arguably more iconic and loved than the majority of first party titles. Without Rare, the N64 classic isn't classic at all.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Wheres a Tomb Raider and Wipeout game???

Also Mr. Driller WTF??

And should of been the sequels for Twirsted Metal and Resident Evil not the 1st games