• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
while it's impossible to argue that itwasmeanttobe is awful at posting to a truly spectacular degree, i don't think he's coming from a particularly contrarian or unempathetic place here.

we've lived through several of these media fueled virus scares at this point, most, if not all, of which were made out to be worse than they ended up being.
How can you determine that after the fact? Isn't it possible that this "media fueled virus scare" actually helped in containing the spread?

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I think they A) will have a State of Play soon, and B) it won't be PS5-related at all.

They have the better part of a year until the PS5 launches, including the release of a bunch of massive PS4 games. They're not going to move past that all so soon to spend all of 2020 hyping up something that will be on sale for six weeks this year at best.
They've always done it though. It never impacted their current-gen games, at least not significantly. With the PS5 being backwards compatible, I think the impact will be even less than last time.

The PS4 was revealed in February 2013, The Last of Us came out later in June and sold a shit-ton of copies.

The PS5 has already been announced. It's been almost a year since the first Wired article. The PS5 (hopefully) comes out this year. They'll need to show something. I'd prefer sooner rather than later.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
No one is saying a virus is a belief, people. Calm down.

It's about whether or not Sony's reaction is justified or not. The virus is real, but there's also plenty of fearmongering and bad science surrounding it.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
This entire thread is a mess, just throw it in the dumpster

Oct 25, 2017

Key considerations for repatriation and quarantine of travellers in relation to the outbreak of novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV

On 30th January 2020, the WHO Director General has declared the outbreak of novel coronavirus 2019- nCoV as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), based on the advice of the Emergency Committee under the International Health Regulations (2005) . Following that determination...

What consists of "unnecessary restrictions of international traffic" might be up for debate. Some think it means cancelling all global/international events, some obviously think that's going too far.

I think canceling something as trivial as an appearance at a hobbyist expo is exactly the sort of thing the WHO had in mind here.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
People are allowed to believe this is an overreaction from Sony, just like people are allowed to believe it's a good call. Attacking other members for not following your belief on the matter will not be tolerated and will be moderated accordingly
I'm at a loss for words.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

It's about whether or not Sony's reaction is justified or not. The virus is real, but there's also plenty of fearmongering and bad science surrounding it.

No, please, everyone not freaking the fuck out is also an anti-vaxer. It's a HEALTH EMERGENCY and even though I don't have any actual idea what that means it DOES mean that I want to be very scared.

Can y'all completely freaking out about anyone criticizing this decision really not see how these kind of reactions exactly feed into the narrative that leads to people not going to asian restaurants anymore and changing street sites when seeing Asian people? It feeds into the same kind of senseless fear mongering so many media reports about the virus do.

You can accept that the virus exists and is dangerous and you can also think that this is an unfounded overreacting feeding into a media frenzy of fear mongering with all the bad baggage that carries with it.

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

I think it's more that it's gone from "I think Sony might be overly cautious about this" to conspiracy theories about what's going on with Sony internally and with the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017

And that sort of fear mongering and bad science thrives in places with bizarre gag orders like this staff policy...

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are allowed to believe this is an overreaction from Sony, just like people are allowed to believe it's a good call. Attacking other members for not following your belief on the matter will not be tolerated and will be moderated accordingly
The moderation staff here never ceases to disappoint me.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
Why is everyone so mad at Transistors post? They're right. People can think it's an overreaction from Sony, or they can believe otherwise. Put me on camp... oooohhhhhh brother for canceling their show.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'll just say that in the sort of intelligent discussion that ResetEra claims to be a haven for, people are expected to support their opinions with evidence. Baselessly claiming that Sony is using the virus as "an excuse" to cancel their appearance in the service of some other hidden motive is just an unsupported argument, no matter how much it might be one's "belief."

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. You're more than welcome to think that.

Great I can think it, cool. But... can I post it? Can I try to convince people that POV is correct? Can I respond to people who I disagree with? Because the posted policy seems to disallow that...

...What gag orders? The staff post says not to be hostile over disagreements.

Why is this so difficult for y'all?

If the policy is to not be hostile over disagreements, then why isn't it what the policy says?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And that sort of fear mongering and bad science thrives in places with bizarre gag orders like this staff policy...

"Gag orders"? Isn't that what everyone calling out Itwasmeanttobe is in favour of, I.e. Sony's decision here can't be criticised for being an overreaction at this stage? Or am I totally wrong here?

Edit: beaten and ty Morrigan.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I'll follow global medical advice instead, those spreading misinformation should be highlighted and it's very concerning moderators don't see that as an issue when thousands are dying.
What global medical advice indicates skipping a show in Boston is recommended to stop the spread of the virus?

There's people here overreacting on both sides. Skipping the show is unnecessary, but it's also not that big of a deal.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

What does "fearmongering" or "bad science" have to do with not exposing your employees to unnecessary international travel during a declared global health emergency when some of your employees would be travelling from more affected areas?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This could get really serious really quickly and I would guess since Japan has already been hit particularity hard the upper brass back at the Sony corp mothership wants its worldwide arms to be extra careful.

Is it overly cautious? Time will tell. But I get not wanting to mess around.

Anyway that staff post is hilarious. How did THAT get through any kind of discussion.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How can you determine that after the fact? Isn't it possible that this "media fueled virus scare" actually helped in containing the spread?

yeah i mean, end of the day i don't really begrudge erring in the side of caution.

all i would concede to the people who think that this is an over reaction is that boston isn't exactly a hotbed for the virus and thus it paints a weird picture where the coronavirus is a threat in boston which doesn't seem to be the case by any metric.

im not sure that things like this actually help the discourse around the virus nor that its doing anything to prevent its spread

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
People in this thread think every event on Earth needs to be cancelled because of disease that's affecting a double-digit number of people in the entire country where the event was happening.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
...What gag orders? The staff post says not to be hostile over disagreements.

Why is this so difficult for y'all?
In a discussion that went down the "facts versus fear mongering / console warrior / bad faith posts" - road.
Why do you think that people should be happy when the moderation team takes the official stance of "but both sides"?

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU 2 launch campaign cant catch a break... first the delay just after announcing the release date and now this...

I was really looking forward to watching the demo & reading impressions : /

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Baffled by the reaction to the staff post. i see very little if anything wrong with it.

Sony seems to be the only company pulling out of pax. they were at DICE just last week. they were at CES a little over a month ago. they are going to be at GDC next month.

im extremely surprised at the hostility aimed at the mods in this thread.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
TIL it's okay to criticize a company for putting the health of their employees first over fucking video games lol. It doesn't matter if said decision was an overreaction, it's better to err on the side of caution especially when air travel is involved.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE

What else can be said besides: y i k e s

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
while it's impossible to argue that itwasmeanttobe is awful at posting to a truly spectacular degree, i don't think he's coming from a particularly contrarian or unempathetic place here.

we've lived through several of these media fueled virus scares at this point, most, if not all, of which were made out to be worse than they ended up being.
To be fair a lot of people choose not to leave when a hurricane is coming too, it doesn't make it any less serious

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

It's about whether or not Sony's reaction is justified or not.
Maybe the original post should be edited, especially the second sentence in there isn't this clearly stated at all :D

(Also, I'm in the "this is exactly what the WHO meant in your post" camp, regardless of "how bad" it really is, no conference about videogames should be a reason for endangering life or health of their international workforce on purpose, and the danger of catching the virus SOMEWHERE on the way for SOMEONE on the team is incredibly high in comparison.)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Great I can think it, cool. But... can I post it? Can I try to convince people that POV is correct? Can I respond to people who I disagree with? Because the posted policy seems to disallow that...

If the policy is to not be hostile over disagreements, then why isn't it what the policy says?
I am perplexed by your question. Of course you can make this argument and try to convince others that you are correct. That's what a discussion is. All the staff post said is to not attack other posters. It's written very plainly...

Status
Not open for further replies.