• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this is priced fairly, it's still a great machine. Next gen will be awesome

Personally, I'm much more excited for the XSX, but PS fans will be getting a solid console

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Will deffo pick this up for when i need the exclusives, a great cheaper alternative to the series X. this is deffo a $399 console.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20% gulf between it and the Xbox isnt bad. PS4 to XB1 was what... 40%?

Looks like they where sub 10 tflops and then clocked the snot out of it to get above 10. I hope the heating is up to it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to know why people are suggesting that these are $399 specs...

Just a few months with these rumored specs, most of you same people were saying $499.

What has now changed?

My guess is that people don't expect more than $499 for Series X, and if these specs are lower or cheaper to produce, the PS5 being at the same price tag doesn't sound all too good.

But don't we still have that rumor that build costs are ~$450?

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
pretty good, depending on price and features, determine which one I'll buy

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So this thing is going to throttle when it get's hot? Interesting times..

It's obvious the system was built around 9.2 Tflops and they did some last minute overclock to counter the 12 tflops MS has.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can already see so many insufferable fucking people in this thread with the "yikes" and "ouch" because this console isn't as technically powerful as the XSX. Y'all are so unbelievably difficult to please.
Ffs, cut this multi-million dollar company that doesn't care about me some slack!

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i thought they would be closer but i was always under the impression that sonys ssd tech was going to be better

that said both machines are great and will lead to a great new gen

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Wished they'd say the base clock speeds.

Also keep in mind we got a report that the cost to make one is around 450, so 399 is not guaranteed.

May 17, 2018
Weren't people saying XSX is gonna be like, $599? Didn't we all decide with the PS3 that no one wants to pay that?

Give me a $399 net-gen machine all day every day.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
... and basically.. the tf is a theoretical max... that clockspeed is insane and it will never hold that speed for long. 9.2 TF seem to have been correct in real life

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So if I'm reading this right, Series X is a better at everything but the PS5 has double the I/O throughput speed.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the Series X and PS5 launch at the same price, this gen is going to start of VERY interestingly...

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I only expect there to be meltdowns if this launches at the same price or more expensive than the X. People who want a reversal of last gen are forgetting that the Xbox One was significantly weaker AND $100 more expensive.
Don't see any drama here until we know the pricing of the Series X

Sorry, I meant to say big oof, yikes, etc

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Don't be shocked if its $499 or $599 for both the PS5 and Xbox.

They're using PC parts now. $399 - they'd have to lose money on that.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking back to the outrage aimed at DF when they ran with the GH clocks.

Solid specs all around.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
"Performance is noticeably different, because 'teraflops' is defined as the computational capability of the vector ALU. That's just one part of the GPU, there are a lot of other units - and those other units all run faster when the GPU frequency is higher. At 33 per cent higher frequency, rasterisation goes 33 per cent faster, processing the command buffer goes that much faster, the L1 and L2 caches have that much higher bandwidth, and so on," Cerny explains in his presentation.

"Coherency comes up in a lot of places, probably the biggest coherency issue is stale data in the GPU caches," explains Cerny in his presentation. "Flushing all the GPU caches whenever the SSD is read is an unattractive option - it could really hurt the GPU performance - so we've implemented a gentler way of doing things, where the coherency engines inform the GPU of the overwritten address ranges and custom scrubbers in several dozen GPU caches do pinpoint evictions of just those address ranges."

ah yes i understand some of those words

failgubbe

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I wonder if they had 9TF then after they learned about the XSX(not yesterday obviously) and increased the speed of the gpu just like MS did with the Xbox One

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Hmm, way less GPU Cores and far higher clock. Not ideal to be honest and will probably cause heat issues.
I imagine the fan will be very loud.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox Series X will be significantly stronger. Its clocks are fixed while it seems that PS5 will be boosting to those frequencies if the power budget allows it. This is why Microsoft put so much focus on "the clocks are guaranteed" in their presentation.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Both will be wonderfully competitive and make for a vivid gaming landscape the new few years.
I'm sorry to say that, but that sounds like PR.

But yeah, of course Tf don't matter much past a point, but hardware is about as competitive as Pro vs X1X, or other gens before.
Both will do just fine on the market, but let's not act like hardware performance will be the same. People should read that article, good read.