Status
Not open for further replies.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't see either PS5 model launching at $399 US. Regardless, I really don't see a gap of $100 between either model.

Jan 20, 2019
Here's a question. What if Sony increased the price of PS+ by $5-10 and it's games to $70, think they'd try going lower if their game and plus prices go up So they'd wouldn't take as big of a loss?

Like, get Ps5 for $399 but pay us $69.99 for our games.

Nop, however, they do have a plan for what i can see

They have 11 first party titles coming in the first year from the SoP of june, so if all the users by at least one game out of the 11, they will reduce the loss by quit a lot.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I still don't see either PS5 model launching at $399 US. Regardless, I really don't see a gap of $100 between either model.
The $100 price difference for a $20-30 part (optical drive) helps them recoup more toward the losses on the DE.

Couple the perhaps slightly profitable $499 version (wasn't the BOM around $470?) with a few digital downloads and the loss on the DE isn't so bad- especially once the system itself becomes cheaper to make and they still charge that extra $100 on the optical drive version.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Dance-of-Joy.gif

Amazing times ahead for us! Sony about to kick things into Mushroom Cloud Laying Motherfucker mode.

Jan 20, 2019
The $100 price difference for a $20-30 part (optical drive) helps them recoup more toward the losses on the DE.

Couple the perhaps slightly profitable $499 version (wasn't the BOM around $470?) with a few digital downloads and the loss on the DE isn't so bad- especially once the system itself becomes cheaper to make and they still charge that extra $100 on the optical drive version.

The Phsysical one should be sold at a 20-30$ loss.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not sure I understand; a $100 price difference will negate the $70-80 loss on the BOM of the digital edition? Wouldn't they minimize the loss by making the price difference closer to the $20-30 cost of the BR drive (like maybe a $50 gap rather than $100)?

Jan 20, 2019
I'm not sure I understand; a $100 price difference will negate the $70-80 loss on the BOM of the digital edition? Wouldn't they minimize the loss by making the price difference closer to the $20-30 cost of the BR drive (like maybe a $50 gap rather than $100)?

No, the point is to move the consumer from physical to digital.

If you put a 50$ gap, you are not going to do that.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
If the regular (and more popular) version is more profitable in the long term, they can afford to loose slightly more on the $399 version longer term to market the PS5 as $399. They're going to basically charge a premium to get the optical drive.

Even after the BOM drops in price- always expect the version with the $20 optical drive to be $100 more expensive than the DE.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
No, the point is to move the consumer from physical to digital.

If you put a 50$ gap, you are not going to do that.
If the regular (and more popular) version is more profitable in the long term, they can afford to loose slightly more on the $399 version longer term to market the PS5 as $399. They're going to basically charge a premium to get the optical drive.

Even after the BOM drops in price- always expect the version with the $20 optical drive to be $100 more expensive than the DE.

I guess that makes sense. I'm just not sure if I remember digital-only systems being that much cheaper than the systems that still accept physical game copies.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go, this is what I've been waiting for. The info here will determine whether I preorder the PS5, or buy at a later date.

Edit: Never mind, looks like this will only deal with games. I had saw 'showcase' and had figured it would have all the remaining details.

Jun 23, 2019
It's not going to be $50. People will pay a premium to get the optical drive… otherwise they'll get the "cheaper" DE and all the PSN money goes directly to Sony.

Not necessarily. The DE could be $299 and I would still get the disc at $499 because I don't like digital only. If Sony is truly going for the $100 gap, it would have to be for a price point that makes the DE more valuable in that aspect. Me personally, I think we're getting $399/449.

Status
Not open for further replies.