• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Time left before the embargo ends:

t1604667600z0.png

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Like the Xbox Series X, the PlayStation 5 is also able to quick resume a game if you turn it off and come back to it later. Although the Switcher icon that some noticed on the Home menu is basically just a history button, showing you the last few games or apps that you used and starting them up from scratch if you want to play them again."

That's not quick resume...that sounds like the regular suspend/resume on PS4

Sounds like there is, but it isn't the Switcher button? Otherwise, that is weird phrasing. It sounds like they are saying there is, and then describing something that isn't. Not that I care either way.

killer_clank

Oct 25, 2017
Is quick resume really needed when it boots games in ~7 seconds anyway?

I assume Metro jumped the gun on this review too, oops.

It's not a huge deal but it would be nice to have. Especially with the backwards compatibility which won't be SSD optimised and will in most cases be running off an external drive.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh i dont care about the quick resume after i saw the cold boot times for spiderman. That was hella impressive

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Like the Xbox Series X, the PlayStation 5 is also able to quick resume a game if you turn it off and come back to it later. Although the Switcher icon that some noticed on the Home menu is basically just a history button, showing you the last few games or apps that you used and starting them up from scratch if you want to play them again.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
sounds like just for a single game though like it already does with the PS4 but now from off to on and not just sleep mode

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Sony were clearly planning to have even more ready for the PlayStation 5's launch, with Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart using every trick in the console's book but now delayed until early next year.
LOL where the hell did they get this information ?
Sony never said or implied anything about Ratchet available at PS5 launch

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not a huge deal but it would be nice to have. Especially with the backwards compatibility which won't be SSD optimised and will in most cases be running off an external drive.
I would bet the vast majority of people will be running PS4 games off the ssd, not an external drive.

The people who go to that level or feel the need to have everything ready to play are the minority.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I love a fresh start so Sony really is ticking all the boxes for me, i'm fucking gagging to pick mine up on launch day.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Quick Resume doesn't bother me since I wouldn't use it that much but yeah sucks not to have it, can still be patched later and maybe be an improved version of the concept if Sony dedicates time to implement it.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
"Like the Xbox Series X, the PlayStation 5 is also able to quick resume a game if you turn it off and come back to it later. Although the Switcher icon that some noticed on the Home menu is basically just a history button, showing you the last few games or apps that you used and starting them up from scratch if you want to play them again."
Soo... it doesn't have the equivalent of quick resume then

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I understand if you turn off the console and then you turn it on you continue that one game were you left. That is NOT quick resume.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Like the Xbox Series X, the PlayStation 5 is also able to quick resume a game if you turn it off and come back to it later. Although the Switcher icon that some noticed on the Home menu is basically just a history button, showing you the last few games or apps that you used and starting them up from scratch if you want to play them again.

Well it's either quick resume or suspend depending on if the "it" is referring to the game or the PS5 I guess.

Anyway not a feature I'll likely use whether it exists or not as I tend to play one game at a time :p

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like PlayStation's answer to quick resume is activities.
We'll just have to wait and see how effective it is.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think the better thing about quick resume is you don't have to worry about checkpoints or saves, it is basically a save state.
That makes it sound way more useful than just stacking games in a pile to load back into whenever!

Cards/activities could be used in a similar way based on the way the Fortnite update uses them maybe? Like a card to jump back in at the spot you previously left the game. That seems like something patchable if it isn't in by launch.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I assume we will today get more reviews and hopefully some video hands on reviews too?

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That makes it sound way more useful than just stacking games in a pile to load back into whenever!

Cards/activities could be used in a similar way based on the way the Fortnite update uses them maybe? Like a card to jump back in at the spot you previously left the game. That seems like something patchable if it isn't in by launch.
yeah, i also think there's nothing stopping them from implementing it later, maybe they don't want to reserve even more of the internal storage atm since there's no way to increase it at launch!