• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I grabbed this on GOG when they put out the updated HD version with the expansion pack last year. I've never played Diablo before, nor this kind of game outside a little bit of Torchlight a few years back. It's a series (along with Starcraft) that I've always wanted to make time for. What advice should I know before going in to help me have the best possible experience as a first timer?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I grabbed this on GOG when they put out the updated HD version with the expansion pack last year. I've never played Diablo before, nor this kind of game outside a little bit of Torchlight a few years back. It's a series (along with Starcraft) that I've always wanted to make time for. What advice should I know before going in to help me have the best possible experience as a first timer?
Save often. Buy Town Portals.

That's all you need.

Oh, and you can drop shit on the floor in town and it'll stay there. Make use of it.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Click fast, click often.

If you feel you need to power up more, you can start a new game with your character carrying their stats.

Items are droppable in town, they will stay there. If you restart per the previous paragraph, they will disappear. Beware.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
If you don't recover your corpse, all your loot is just gone.

Multiplayer is a lot of fun, if you can get it to work.

Make sure to talk to all the townspeople, game has some of the best dialogue and voiceacting.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
If you play warrior, his repair skill seems crazy useful, but be aware that using it reduces the item's maximum durability. Same for the sorcerer's recharge staff skill.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you everyone, this is all great. I chose Rogue to start so will see how I get on.

By the way, I noticed that only the original game is on GOG in this updated form. Does that mean Diablo 2 on Battlenet will play fine on a Windows 10 machine too, as I might buy that also.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean Diablo 2 on Battlenet will play fine on a Windows 10 machine too, as I might buy that also.
It does, yes. I haven't played it in a while, but I do own Diablo 2 through the Battle.net store and it worked fine when I played through it.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Thank you everyone, this is all great. I chose Rogue to start so will see how I get on.

By the way, I noticed that only the original game is on GOG in this updated form. Does that mean Diablo 2 on Battlenet will play fine on a Windows 10 machine too, as I might buy that also.
Yes Diablo 2 didn't need any special update. OG Diablo had some issues with recent Windows, hence the need for this.

Btw I hope you bought the Hellfire bundle because otherwise you're stuck with walk-only speed. Hellfire added a "fast walk" that is, for me, crucial.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Yes Diablo 2 didn't need any special update. OG Diablo had some issues with recent Windows, hence the need for this.

Btw I hope you bought the Hellfire bundle because otherwise you're stuck with walk-only speed. Hellfire added a "fast walk" that is, for me, crucial.

I did yeah, but I didn't select Hellfire when I launched the game as I didn't know if the expansion was separate. Is it better to play that version? I can start over, I'm still very early.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Drop an item on the ground, take like 10 steps away from it. Then click the item to go pick it up, if you click on a potion on your belt at precisely the same time as you pick up the item off the ground you will get the item in your inventory and the potion that you clicked it will dupe into the item.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
If you somehow know someone who wants to play it with you,then try to get it to work. Multiplayer is really where the first one shines.

If you like the concept but think it's too rough,then give the 2nd game a chance. With its addon Lords of Destruction it improves on every aspect of the first game by a LOT. It's a blizzard game in their absolutely prime and it shows.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
If you like the concept but think it's too rough,then give the 2nd game a chance. With its addon Lords of Destruction it improves on every aspect of the first game by a LOT. It's a blizzard game in their absolutely prime and it shows.

Oh yeah, I'm for sure going to play 2.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I did yeah, but I didn't select Hellfire when I launched the game as I didn't know if the expansion was separate. Is it better to play that version? I can start over, I'm still very early.
Restart now. It is seamlessly integrated. Don't bother with vanilla Diablo.

Either way, the sanctity of this place has been fouled.

Oct 30, 2017
This shrine list is nice to have, as they only give you a vague message when activated. Effects are mostly positive, but not always, so be aware...

diablo.fandom.com

Shrines (Diablo I)

Shrines are environmental objects found throughout the journey within the labyrinth beneath Tristram. Each shrine can only be used once, but they bestow a (semi)permanent effect upon the user. Not all of these shrines are beneficial. Some have been cursed by the minions of Hell, and permanently...

Warrior is good to play, but I had most fun with the wizard.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Done! Chose Warrior this time. And holy shit, you really do book it around town with that run!
You'll learn to appreciate that even more when you ran out of town portal scrolls and have to backtrack a floor or two to get to a telep--- wait, Diablo 1 didn't have teleports. Shortcut exits, I mean lol.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I also wanted to ask if anyone had recommendations for games along similar lines to the Diablo games that are worth checking out? Really doesn't matter how old they are, as long as I can run them on Win10 without much faffing about.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I also wanted to ask if anyone had recommendations for games along similar lines to the Diablo games that are worth checking out? Really doesn't matter how old they are, as long as I can run them on Win10 without much faffing about.
Nox
www.gog.com

Nox™

An excellent action/RPG hybrid with very unique gameplay. Your name is Jack Mower, a 20th
It works if you set compatibility to Windows 98/ME in the properties of the application.

Last edited:

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Start with rogue or wizars, its hard but the warrior is imo almost useless solo when you go to the last part of the game needing to use more the bow than your sword.

Or I messed up something in my build :v

Jun 13, 2018
www.gog.com

Grim Dawn

Enter an apocalyptic fantasy world where humanity is on the brink of extinction, iron is

:)

I also have a real soft spot for https://www.gog.com/game/sacred_2_gold but that's a weirder one

now excuse me I'm gonna have to reinstall diablo and do a quick rogue run. they better fucking announce rogue as a class again for diablo 4.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Wait... I'm confused... I just encountered The Butcher, at Level 8, and all I did was rail on him with my claymore and popped a couple of healing potions while hammering left click. He's dead. I was expecting something much more dramatic. That said... really cool as fuck moment! Loved seeing the room absolutely packed with corpses. Had an inkling something was going to happen before heading in.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Wait... I'm confused... I just encountered The Butcher, at Level 8, and all I did was rail on him with my claymore and popped a couple of healing potions while hammering left click. He's dead. I was expecting something much more dramatic. That said... really cool as fuck moment! Loved seeing the room absolutely packed with corpses. Had an inkling something was going to happen before heading in.
Level 8 is a really late spawn for him. Iirc you do come across his lair much earlier on average (Diablo 1's floors are procedural, in case you didn't know) so that's probably why.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Level 8 is a really late spawn for him. Iirc you do come across his lair much earlier on average (Diablo 1's floors are procedural, in case you didn't know) so that's probably why.

Yeah, makes sense. I completely managed to miss him for a few floors by not filling in the map on that level, then bumped into him when I realised I hadn't fully explore yet.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So I've finished The Butcher AND The Well, but no other quests have shown up yet. Do i just keep going deeper in the church?

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You should know that there are two better sequels.
tenor.gif

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So I've finished The Butcher AND The Well, but no other quests have shown up yet. Do i just keep going deeper in the church?
Always go deeper.

But also talk to people in town again. I think Griswald gives you a quest at some point?

There's also a certain ...err... obejct(?) you can find out in the town by the brook in the west ....
edit: nope, that's D2 lol

but basically, you also get quests from items you pick up, or when you read a tome or something. there's no real deep quest system in this one. you just go deeper and deeper....

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Just cause his name literally ends in "bad?" lol

AND he's a goat demon. But, yes, also the bad part.

I just reached the catacombs. This shit just get helluva hard for a warrior. I might need to start getting into ranged combat. Been using the butcher's cleaver for the past few levels and it's worked well enough, but now the difficulty seems to have spiked.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
AND he's a goat demon. But, yes, also the bad part.

I just reached the catacombs. This shit just get helluva hard for a warrior. I might need to start getting into ranged combat. Been using the butcher's cleaver for the past few levels and it's worked well enough, but now the difficulty seems to have spiked.

If you're cool you'll also learn the Book of the Blind by heart, like me. If you're even cooler you'll not write it on the blackboard at school like a creep, though.

Also, don't limit yourself to class stereotypes. If you find a magic spell and the INT req isn't outrageous, dump some points in there. Firewall = chefkiss.

Presumably "ahhh, fresh meat!"?