• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
You just might not like this gameplay design. I think the design is so strong it can shine through a lot of technical jank. Millions of people on PC agree with me, you don't have to, this just might not be your cup of tea.

If you can think of a game that provides this amount of tension in the final minutes of gameplay I'd be curious to hear about it. Top 10 showdowns in PUBG are so intense they take years off your life. Even in this broken state.
i mean i understand the gameplay loop; i don't think it's that. i can't get behind the "tension" if the shit is a unplayable mess. immersion is the first step. as for your question, i would say 2K in the waning minutes of a game gets tense and maybe gears of war? when you're the last one on your team and you're about to clutch it out. can't think of anything else rn. honestly the "tension" aspect was the main pull for me but i can't enjoy that if i don't like the controls and game itself. i tried fortnite and it wasn't close to that bad. i didn't necessarily like the game but i can SEE why people fw it. this? nope. can't see it

Actually, I will not "foh". Saying textures are PS1 levels of bad is hyperbole. The frame rate is ok but not great, certainly not a "heaping pile of shit", and absolutely not an objective statement.
nah not hyperbole. i saw w/ my own eyes textures that are worse than PS1. framerate isn't ok. it's pretty fuckin far from ok. pop-in is present w items 3 feet in front of me. and yes it's objective that it looks and runs like dog shit in comparison to anything past the year 2006

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
i mean i understand the gameplay loop; i don't think it's that. i can't get behind the "tension" if the shit is a unplayable mess. immersion is the first step. as for your question, i would say 2K in the waning minutes of a game gets tense and maybe gears of war? when you're the last one on your team and you're about to clutch it out. can't think of anything else rn. honestly the "tension" aspect was the main pull for me but i can't enjoy that if i don't like the controls and game itself. i tried fortnite and it wasn't close to that bad. i didn't necessarily like the game but i can SEE why people fw it. this? nope. can't see it

nah not hyperbole. i saw w/ my own eyes textures that are worse than PS1. framerate isn't ok. it's pretty fuckin far from ok. pop-in is present w items 3 feet in front of me. and yes it's objective that it looks and runs like dog shit in comparison to anything past the year 2006

It's almost like opinions are subjective.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
nah ya you right. super polished. excellence bursting at every seam. it's fucking garbage.

Calling something that 1,000,000 people are literally playing "unplayable" is the definition of hypebole. Call it janky, call it unpolished, call it a technical mess if you want. But you keep coming in to these threads, losing your mind and throwing ridiculous statements around and then telling people that you're not being hyperbolic. Try and calm down a bit. It's a discussion forum, not a fight.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Member was warned for calling people 'blind sheep' for liking something they don't
It's almost like opinions are subjective.
lmao ok. and w this i'm out of here. impossible to fight off 4 million blind sheep at once. enjoy your game!

Calling something that 1,000,000 people are literally playing "unplayable" is the definition of hypebole. Call it janky, call it unpolished, call it a technical mess if you want. But you keep coming in to these threads, losing your mind and throwing ridiculous statements around and then telling people that you're not being hyperbolic. Try and calm down a bit. It's a discussion forum, not a fight.
you take the definition of unplayable way too literally. is there no nuance anymore? christ you're ridiculous. also: i came in here asking for a refund. and ok. it's a janky, unpolished, technical mess. losing my mind? y'all the pugnacious ones not me. open your eyes

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Do you not know the definition of hyperbole? None of what I said is "exaggerated". The textures are shit. The HDR is broken. The controls are atrocious. The framerate is garbage. It's a heaping piece of shit objectively. Jesus Christ.

I shouldn't really reply but this paragraph legit made me lol! Either total self-ignorance or masterful sarcasm. I salute you!

Some performance points can be measured objectively E. G. Framerate but a lot can't, and "acceptable" frame rate is subjective.

I'd suggest you research the words hyperbole and objective :)

EDIT - it gets better!

lmao ok. and w this i'm out of here. impossible to fight off 4 million blind sheep at once. enjoy your game!

Why do you feel like you have to fight people or feel like you have to convince 4 million people that they're wrong?

They literally ARE enjoying the game :)

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
HDR for me is fine. Playing on an X1X and a Samsung JS85000 4k HDR TV

Also seems fine for me. Also on X1X and on a KS9000. It isn't blowing me away by any means, but I have been wondering what all the "really dark HDR" talk was about because I am just not seeing it. A little more contrasty than natural, sure, but I wouldn't call it dark.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Also seems fine for me. Also on X1X and on a KS9000. It isn't blowing me away by any means, but I have been wondering what all the "really dark HDR" talk was about because I am just not seeing it. A little more contrasty than natural, sure, but I wouldn't call it dark.

It focuses a bit more on shadows/darker tones than light sources (other than skybox). Compare it to ACO and there's a clear difference in implementation IMO.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My biggest gripe with this game is the controls. It's trying to do too much with the first person aiming system. In multiple firefights, I've been killed because of the toggle to first person aiming system. It closes off your field of view and throws you under the bus if it's accidentally toggled.

Also, what's up with this game and bunny hopping? It's fucking terrible to see that people are able to continuously bunny hop even through they're getting shot. Part of me wishes this game took up DayZ's injury system.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played a match last night.

The game started, and the plane was flying in from the south, over Sosnovka Island. I decided to say "screw it", and jumped out right away, and headed as far west as I possibly could before pulling my parachute. I ended up in Primorsk, and I looked to be alone, so I started raiding houses. The first circle appeared and it was on the exact opposite of the map, on the east around Lipovka/ Mylta Power. "Shit", I thought. "I'm going to spend this entire match just trying to run east to get to the circle.". So I quickly grabbed a few more items, was lucky enough to find an AK47 and a police vest, and started sprinting east.

As I made my way east, I spotted a boat along the coast. Hell yeah! I hopped on the boat and had a decision to make; either motor my way through the channel between Sosnovka Island and the main island, where I'd get to where I needed to go much faster but risk more exposure, or circle waaayy around south of Sosnovka Island, and just hope that I could actually make it into the circle before I ran out of gas or time.

I opted to head south around Sosnovka Island, kind of giggling to myself the entire time as I spent the first 15 minutes of the match just free riding solo in a boat, in the middle of nowhere, with no other soul to be seen. At this point there's already only 60 or so players still alive.

As I get closer to the circle, I notice that a small sliver of the east corner of Sosnovka Island is within the safe area, so I say "fuck it" and make a stop, where I find a health kit, a bunch of bandages, at 4X scope, a shotgun, and a bunch of ammo. Perfect. As time runs out and the circle shrinks, now planted around Mylta Power, I hop into my boat and head toward the plant. 40 players still alive.

I end up taking my boat to the far north eastern corner of the Mylta Power Plant, behind the Cooling Towers, where I ditch my boat and start trying to climb the steep, rocky hillside. I'm failing miserably. The game is amazingly janky and the animations are making me laugh as my player tries to make his way up the hill. I fall several times back into the water. Finally, I'm about halfway up my climb, and I hear a boat running behind me... Shit! I turn around and there's a dude, presumably confused as hell, parked next to my boat.

At this point, I swear we had a moment. My player, glitchy as fuck, halfway up this Cliffside, and his player sitting confusedly in his boat, just stared at each other for what felt like eternity.

Suddenly he pulls out his weapon and shots start whizzing past my head. I whip out my AK47, scope it, and take a few shots at him... Got him! He's down. I abandon my climb and dive into the water to loot his remains, where I find more health supplies, a level 3 backpack, and a level 2 police vest. I swim back to shore and make my climb. This time it's easy, and I find myself prone in the grass behind the Nuclear Cooling Towers, as the circle shrinks again. 15 players still alive.

As the circle shrinks, I stay prone and just keep crawling toward the lower circle, trying to stay in the tall grass and in the shadows of trees. There's gunfire all around me, and the player count is dropping fast. The circle shrinks to it's second smallest size, and I make it into the circle just in time. 7 players still alive.

The circle is now shrinking to what I believe is the smallest size. I'm laying as still as can be in the grass, when I spot a small 8x8 shack 15 feet away from me. I have to make a decision. I quickly stand up and sprint as quickly as I can into the shack and lay down. No one saw me! I turn 180 and focus my shotgun on the only entry into the shack, waiting. 5 players still alive.

As the circle shrinks into its' smallest size, I luck out and the shack is part of that tiny circle. I hear tons of fire all around me, and suddenly the firing stops and the player count drops to 2. Just me and one other player left standing. My heart is beating out of my chest. I want to run and find this guy.. but I wait.

Suddenly I hear footsteps sprinting towards me. I prepare to fire. He dashes through the door and I fire with everything I've got!

I miss completely, he destroys me with his shotgun, and I finish in 2nd.

I love this fucking game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why I'm rank 450 in NA.

bdf831a3a4cf3d791dccaf2378b412da.png

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
salty bro -- i feel bad bc i was able to get one. how many hrs did you have in the game?

Man, I was PISSED but I'm just going to suck it up. I've had it since launch, so like 48 hours and I've played it long enough to know it's a waste of my time. Really pissed but I've learned my lesson. I'll never support another preview title again after this fiasco. How long did you have it for? Wondering why they were able to give you one. Did you speak to someone on the phone or over chat?

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Any explanation why there isn't a trial version? I think it's pretty disgusting that there's nothing in place for automatic refunds for a game in this state in a game preview program.

When I spoke to the person over chat she texted me back saying my refund was declined and then she copypasta'd some response from Microsoft / Bluehole that "when you buy a Game Preview, you're buying into the development of the game and that it'll be released full next year." It's such bullshit now that I think about it. They've could've released this garbage the exact same way, but without the dumb $30 price. If this was a free preview, NO ONE would care about the issues in this game because they'd say "Hey, this ain't for me. I'm out." Instead, Microsoft is actually creating their own shitstorm by charging people to play what is essentially a PS1 game on their flagship console.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was PISSED but I'm just going to suck it up. I've had it since launch, so like 48 hours and I've played it long enough to know it's a waste of my time. Really pissed but I've learned my lesson. I'll never support another preview title again after this fiasco. How long did you have it for? Wondering why they were able to give you one. Did you speak to someone on the phone or over chat?
I had under an hour playtime bc it was so god fucking awful. I knew off the bat that I wanted it within the first ten minutes. The reason I asked is bc I think if you clocked in over 2 hours then you're ineligible. I did it over chat by clicking on the "Billing" portion here: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us

I linked them to this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/7jgb3y/is_it_possible_to_get_a_refund_on_pubg/ and more specifically the image the OP posted where he gets the refund. Think I threw this in there too: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/game/how-get-refund-for-xbox-one-or-windows-10-game-3657866/

and just asked nicely. I'm surprised you had trouble though because they handled it extremely swift in my opinion. I thought I was gonna have to fight for it but it was incredibly easy. I would keep trying with different reps. A fucking travesty to throw 30 bones at this and never touch it again. I would be furious. Let me know if you have any other questions or if it works for you too. Praying for you lol

Last edited:

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just turned off DVR and I notice smoother gameplay and quicker loads. Playing on X1X with an external hard drive. I know DF says it it won't help but it did for me

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Took me forever to learn how to reload on launch day. Very fun game though. I could play it for hours I think.

Damn at all the jank though. Reminds me of a game released late last gen. It's still in preview so I should have expected as much I guess. I thought getting Rare and The Coalition to help would at least minimize the jank but nope lol.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Took me forever to learn how to reload on launch day. Very fun game though. I could play it for hours I think.

Damn at all the jank though. Reminds me of a game released late last gen. It's still in preview so I should have expected as much I guess. I thought getting Rare and The Coalition to help would at least minimize the jank but nope lol.

Rare is no longer contributing, IIRC.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I had under an hour playtime bc it was so god fucking awful. I knew off the bat that I wanted it within the first ten minutes. The reason I asked is bc I think if you clocked in over 2 hours then you're ineligible. I did it over chat by clicking on the "Billing" portion here: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us

I linked them to this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/7jgb3y/is_it_possible_to_get_a_refund_on_pubg/ and more specifically the image the OP posted where he gets the refund. Think I threw this in there too: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/game/how-get-refund-for-xbox-one-or-windows-10-game-3657866/

and just asked nicely. I'm surprised you had trouble though because they handled it extremely swift in my opinion. I thought I was gonna have to fight for it but it was incredibly easy. I would keep trying with different reps. A fucking travesty to throw 30 bones at this and never touch it again. I would be furious.

Gotcha. So you did speak to someone on the phone or was it through their chat service? I attempted mine through their chat which could be the problem.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My goodness some of the shenanigans when you first drop into an area with enemies can be out right hilarious.

This is my friend having a fist fight with a couple of dudes after i failed to kill them with my shotgun.

http://xboxclips.com/He4rt/503ea434-f28e-450f-96f4-7f4a98bf8606

That double shot gun is terrible and fist fighting is so bad it makes it hilarious. I was crying with laughter on the floor, shouting 'hit him! hit him!'...so funny.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Textures are PS1 level. Framerate atrocious. ...Controls are the worst and unresponsive. Everything about the game on Xbox is trash. No hyperbole. Just pure trash. ... It's legit the worst game I've ever played in my life.

nah not hyperbole. ... and yes it's objective that it looks and runs like dog shit in comparison to anything past the year 2006

you take the definition of unplayable way too literally. is there no nuance anymore? christ you're ridiculous. ... y'all the pugnacious ones not me.

This is an incredible meltdown.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I day dreamed last night of a mechassault version of a battle royale game. Imagine 100 mechs vying for supremacy. If anyone at MS is listening. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

If you ever see a motorcycle on its side, try standing it up. I laughed out loud.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Why would you come into an OT and try to shit on something people like?

In his (and my) defense - this is really not about coming into an OT and shitting on a game. It's about sharing our experience with a game that we paid $30 for. There's tons of people who are using colorful language to express how much they LOVE this game. "I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!" and "THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!". Saltyramen and I are using the same language palette but saying the opposite. I personally am not trying to start shit with ANYONE, but I am super upset with my purchase for the state that the game came in. I feel like a dumbass for falling for the hype and it's honestly my fault for giving it a shot without doing more research.

I'm not blaming anyone here and I was not forced at gunpoint to buy this game. I have read for many months on PUBG and how ridiculously awesome it is. Sadly, this was not my experience when I played it. I honestly felt like I was playing a sprinting simulator game on a PS1. And people will think I'm joking but I spent the entirety of my first game (which lasted 16 minutes) literally just trying to sprint to the enclosed area to seeing ONE other person WAY off in the distance and trying to chase them down but I couldn't catch up. That whole game lasted something like 16 minutes of just RUNNING in one direction to not ever getting into a battle or single firefight. Now, maybe that's fun for some people....Great. Good on you guys. That's not how I want to spend my time in a game.

So in short - I've got two major issues: One is with the technical side. It's a super janky presentation that is borderline PS1 graphic levels....And two, the actual gameplay itself ain't my cup of tea.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
squad game, end of, down to two teams, we have the advantage in the small circle, we in a house.
firefights, me left alone, two of enemy. I shoot down one of them from the roof (just ground floor building),
the other goes to heal, hasn't spotted me. has his back on me. I am ~20m away, still on roof, decide to go down near him and finish him with powerful shotgun as he has his back turned on me.
Full health + redbulls and shit. I slowly move towards the ledge and as I fall down to what is *less than 2m height*, there is a metal structure right next to house.
game bugs out and I loose all my health and die for -apparently- falling between house and metal structure. 1x elite pad broken :D
next time I throw grenades

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
In his (and my) defense - this is really not about coming into an OT and shitting on a game. It's about sharing our experience with a game that we paid $30 for. There's tons of people who are using colorful language to express how much they LOVE this game. "I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!" and "THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!". Saltyramen and I are using the same language palette but saying the opposite. I personally am not trying to start shit with ANYONE, but I am super upset with my purchase for the state that the game came in. I feel like a dumbass for falling for the hype and it's honestly my fault for giving it a shot without doing more research.

I'm not blaming anyone here and I was not forced at gunpoint to buy this game. I have read for many months on PUBG and how ridiculously awesome it is. Sadly, this was not my experience when I played it. I honestly felt like I was playing a sprinting simulator game on a PS1. And people will think I'm joking but I spent the entirety of my first game (which lasted 16 minutes) literally just trying to sprint to the enclosed area to seeing ONE other person WAY off in the distance and trying to chase them down but I couldn't catch up. That whole game lasted something like 16 minutes of just RUNNING in one direction to not ever getting into a battle or single firefight. Now, maybe that's fun for some people....Great. Good on you guys. That's not how I want to spend my time in a game.

So in short - I've got two major issues: One is with the technical side. It's a super janky presentation that is borderline PS1 graphic levels....And two, the actual gameplay itself ain't my cup of tea.

Which is fine--you've at least couched it well and reasonably, particularly with this. But if you look at what I was quoting, I think that's a bit different IMO.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

They're all totally valid and I you made your point super well in that post. It's definitely more nuanced than saltyramen's "Everything about the game on Xbox is trash. No hyperbole. Just pure trash. ... It's legit the worst game I've ever played in my life. impossible to fight off 4 million blind sheep at once. enjoy your game!"

When I played my first couple of matches on PC back in March I shared the same opinions as you. I actually refunded the game on Steam. But I was tempted back by all the good talk and the stories and, 50 hours later, it's currently number 3 in my 2017 GOTY list. It's not a game for everyone though... I'm really interested to see how it does with the wider console public on Xbox. It's clearly not had a problem attracting people on PC but I suppose the console market is different? Will be fascinating to watch!

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
squad game, end of, down to two teams, we have the advantage in the small circle, we in a house.
firefights, me left alone, two of enemy. I shoot down one of them from the roof (just ground floor building),
the other goes to heal, hasn't spotted me. has his back on me. I am ~20m away, still on roof, decide to go down near him and finish him with powerful shotgun as he has his back turned on me.
Full health + redbulls and shit. I slowly move towards the ledge and as I fall down to what is *less than 2m height*, there is a metal structure right next to house.
game bugs out and I loose all my health and die for -apparently- falling between house and metal structure. 1x elite pad broken :D
next time I throw grenades

Ah, man.

Iv'e been infuriated at the end of games too.

Sometimes it's best to take a 10 minute break and relax. This game puts you on edge

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I've had one crash so far, but actually putting the game on external hdd decreases that chance? How come?
I have no idea lol, but that's what my group of friends are seeing. I already install everything on external, but many were reporting crashes and said that moving the game made a big difference.

One of my friends were even testing with us yesterday night, on internal his game would crash every other match and after moving to external we played a lot of subsequent matches and he had no other crash.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
They're all totally valid and I you made your point super well in that post. It's definitely more nuanced than saltyramen's "Everything about the game on Xbox is trash. No hyperbole. Just pure trash. ... It's legit the worst game I've ever played in my life. impossible to fight off 4 million blind sheep at once. enjoy your game!"

When I played my first couple of matches on PC back in March I shared the same opinions as you. I actually refunded the game on Steam. But I was tempted back by all the good talk and the stories and, 50 hours later, it's currently number 3 in my 2017 GOTY list. It's not a game for everyone though... I'm really interested to see how it does with the wider console public on Xbox. It's clearly not had a problem attracting people on PC but I suppose the console market is different? Will be fascinating to watch!

Cool man. I'm going to give it another shot as they update the game and I'll keep up with the development. I remember when I tried the Titanfall 1 beta, I literally thought it was the best fucking game I've ever played in my life (still do, to some degree) and people were shitting all over how it looked back then. I'm really not looking for a masterpiece here in terms of the graphics.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I really like how even just a small shootout vs another player or team can feel like a amazing victory.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
While playing with a buddy I got down to 24 players and made the fatal mistake by running someone over and coming back again to finish him off without checking for his buddy.