Twin Tails

Oct 25, 2017
1.0 is here. Haven't seen others pop up but I assume other people will start dropping reviews for 1.0 release.

Polygon 10/10
Critics and fans have speculated on how PUBG will operate as an esport, whether or not its pacing works for competitive play. But that ignores the obvious fact: Battlegrounds works as entertainment. Sport or not, it has found its audience of players and viewers alike.

GameInformer 9.5/10
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds brings the battle royale genre to a smashing mainstream success, packed with memorable moments and action-packed adventures. Solo or with friends, you're in for an intense ride that's different every single time.p

Windows Central 4/5
Battle Royale games are very similar by nature, but they play differently. PUBG offers the best experience to date, but it's far from perfect. Even at 1.0, there are serious issues still plaguing players, including instability, inconsistent gameplay and lack of polish. This is something that's (hopefully) likely to change with future patches and further development, but with the push for esports and console support, we could be in for a long ride.
Eurogamer : Recommended
In its 1.0 form, Battlegrounds is the year's best hangout game - the most reliably enjoyable social gaming experience that doesn't involve sharing a couch. It appears to have evaded the longevity issues that have dogged its multiplayer survival counterparts, and its success affords its developers the opportunity to invest in solutions to the doubts and weaknesses that remain. Expect studios of all sizes to vie for its position over the next few years. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is ground zero for battle royale games in the way that World of Warcraft was ground zero for MMOs or League of Legends was for MOBAs - not the first, but the one that made it.
USGamer: 4/5
PUBG is such a pure and fun experience that it overcomes its many flaws. There are glitches, there are crashes, there is jank. The game will probably never be fully done. But parachuting down onto that island feels new and exciting every time. A number of simple ideas comes together to make a great game and establish a great genre.
GameRevolution: 3.5/5
The strangest thing about reviewing PUBG is that this doesn't feel like a full release at all. It just feels like another patch, albeit a major one. I know that there was pressure on Bluehole to release a 1.0 version of the game, but given the issues still in the game, it might have been best to continue hammering away at it for a few more months. I have faith that with such a large following (and cash flow) the PUBG team will eventually get things squared away, but for now, this game still feels like it's in early access.
Metro
In Short: PUBG is one of the best multiplayer experiences of the generation, and this is the best version of it so far – even if it's still a work in progress.

Pros: Perfectly streamlined concept ensures an infinite range of possibilities. Two huge maps, plenty of different weapons, and great pacing.

Cons: The game still lacks polish, with lots of bugs, stability issues, and cheating. Interface needs work and the gunplay is still unremarkable.
Kotaku
LIKED
Straightforward and addictive concept, fun exploration, squad matches are amazing, chicken dinner taste delicious.
DISLIKED
Technical issues severely interrupt gameplay flow, matches sometimes come down to luck.

Last edited:

Steezus

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Feels like Polygon is trying way too hard with this review. Funnily enough, PUBG is the game that's least dependent on any review ever.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
This is so foreign to me, I guess this is how we'll be reviewing ongoing games then? Just review each major patch until it's full release?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
An amazing game! I'm impressed that a game can get 10 without a single player campaign mode.

Has any other game managed that?

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they gave it a 10/10? How the hell is that a 10/10. I mean I'm all for reviewers saying whatever they want, but honestly give it a 9 even if you love it, the game has so many glaring issues with optimization and graphical fidelity. It looks alright, but the animations are still god awful.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
I'd also give it a 10. Game is so much fun, getting chicken dinners is one of my favorite gaming experiences in years.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 1.0 version better be leaps ahead of the current version. By leaps I actually mean light years ahead.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wait, they gave it a 10/10? How the hell is that a 10/10. I mean I'm all for reviewers saying whatever they want, but honestly give it a 9 even if you love it, the game has so many glaring issues with optimization and graphical fidelity. It looks alright, but the animations are still god awful.

The glaring issues perhaps don't outweigh how fun the game is? I think honestly the game is amazing. I'm not big into "scores" but I think fun needs to be the major factor. It can override technical issues.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I don't see how Polygon can give the game a 10 in good faith. The zeitgeist is there, obviously, but the game still has enough technical issues and lack of polish that should bring the score down.

The game has the potential to be a 10 once the optimization is there. Love the game regardless.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Interesting, makes complete sense now that you say it.

I just remember the days when multiplayer was a random tacked on mode (but always loved) to try and make LAN parties portable.

Now entire games are based on it and get 10 out of 10...its like living in the future.

I wonder when the first VR game will get 10 (genuine curiosity, not trying to bash VR, I love it).

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how Polygon can give the game a 10 in good faith. The zeitgeist is there, obviously, but the game still has enough technical issues and lack of polish that should bring the score down.

The game has the potential to be a 10 once the optimization is there, but I digress. Love the game.
I get really good performance in the test version. 100+ fps easily on max settings with 90 FoV

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Pubg is awesome, playing w/ ppl from other countries and transcending the language barrier is incredible. Experienced lots of chinese players equipped with pubg english

Oct 27, 2017
I have 100 hours in the game, but I don't see how the 1.0 updates could push it to a 10/10. It's still a fairly barebones experience. It's a lot of fun, but I definitely wouldn't put it at a 10

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
The glaring issues perhaps don't outweigh how fun the game is? I think honestly the game is amazing. I'm not big into "scores" but I think fun needs to be the major factor. It can override technical issues.

Oh I agree the game is fun and the fun should be the most part of the review. But I don't know, I always enjoyed reviews being technical on every aspect of a game. Sound, Graphics, Control, and how fun it is. I mean if you love something, you still have to be able to see the flaws in it.

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
scores dont mean much anymore. Weve had a lot of rated 10 games this gen that didnt deserve them. To deserve a 10 a game needs to be almost perfect.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I thought 1.0 wasn't live until 11pm pst. Did they get access to it earlier? Or is this based on the test server?

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol of course PUBG comes out after all the game awards gave the goty to Nintendo or Sony

Bluehole shouldve just waited till January so there'd be no distractions when the game comes out