• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
And wow i feel sorry for my parents if games like Asteroids, Frogger and Pitfall were all they had to look forward to. Bought the Atari Flashback 9 Gold for my mother on Christmas and the games are interesting for like a minute, but i lost interest quickly. The SNES/Genesis really was a life saver for console gaming.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i was an Atari 2600 kid but have virtually no reverence for those games. only one i'd care to play today is Yar's Revenge.... maybe

i can't believe there was an industry crash in the early 80s on virtue of there even being a industry built on that crap to begin with

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Now, sure. In 80-82, however, many of those games offered surprising depth, especially when old Pong clones were the frame of reference for most folks.

Stuff like Pitfall, Decathalon (local multiplayer), and River Raid hold up.

And stuff like Berzerk, Missile Command, and Asteroids were solid enough conversions to prompt high score chases. Ms Pac Man was solid too.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
1- the 2600 weren't good versions of the game but you could play them at home instead of going to arcades
2- asteroids on a vector monitor in the arcade was the shit. Arcade frogger was great. You play crossy road?
3- There was a better alternative that was as cheap for a while.
4- gotta start somewhere

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel sorry for your parents. A lot of that stuff was awesome at the time, and still holds up if you like playing for high scores. Atari compilations tend to throw in a lot of filler stuff, though, because it's expensive to license everything good.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
The 2600 was a product of its time, the games hasn't aged all that well but some still have charm, I fire up Space Invaders in mine from time to time on an old B/W tv I have.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
And wow i feel sorry for my parents if games like Asteroids, Frogger and Pitfall were all they had to look forward to. Bought the Atari Flashback 9 Gold for my mother on Christmas and the games are interesting for like a minute, but i lost interest quickly. The SNES/Genesis really was a life saver for console gaming.
The arcade versions were so superior and still incredibly fun to play today. You are doing yourself a disservice by not trying them. As for Atari 2600, I still love Adventure, Pitfall, and Yars Revenge but that's about it and the graphics/sounds of the Atari 2600 were quite sad... However the arcade games are still awesome to play today like Centipede/Millipede/Missile Command/Marble Madness with a track ball, Asteroids, various Galaga games, Defender, Space Invaders, Burger Time, Dig Dug, Q-bert, Donkey Kong, Pac-man/Ms Pac-man, Popeye, Tempest and Arkanoid with a spinner, Rampage, etc...

PurestGamer78

Oct 27, 2017
It's all we had at the time and ground breaking lol. If you compare it to more modern consoles sure it's terrible. It was so good during that time though.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The arcade versions were so superior and still incredibly fun to play today. You are doing yourself a disservice by not trying them. As for Atari 2600, I still love Adventure, Pitfall, and Yars Revenge but that's about it and the graphics/sounds of the Atari 2600 were quite sad... However the arcade games are still awesome to play today like Centipede/Millipede/Missile Command/Marble Madness with a track ball, Asteroids, various Galaga games, Defender, Space Invaders, Burger Time, Dig Dug, Q-bert, Donkey Kong, Pac-man/Ms Pac-man, Popeye, Tempest and Arkanoid with a spinner, Rampage, etc...
I played a couple of the arcade versions and it truly is a generational difference. Even NES games are cutting it close for me.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
It was all we had back then outside of arcades lol! We didn't know any better. Plus it was like magic being able to play video games...at home! Most Atari games have aged horribly, but I have super fond memories playing Atari games for hours with my brothers and sisters back in the day.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I played a couple of the arcade versions and it truly is a generational difference. Even NES games are cutting it close for me.
Yeah it seemed kind of crazy to me that it wasn't until PS1/Saturn/Dreamcast era that we finally got arcade perfect ports. At least the SNES got much closer to the arcades and could readily handle older 80s arcade games.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Don't feel sorry, you're looking at a perspective of what is available today, back then pitfall was everything to me.

as i said in the other thread
This was my first fighting game as a kid
Now i could play mortal Kombat and rip off limbs.
tumblr_n46kstIRJb1tooympo1_400.gif

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it seemed kind of crazy to me that it wasn't until PS1/Saturn/Dreamcast era that we finally got arcade perfect ports. At least the SNES got much closer to the arcades and could readily handle older 80s arcade games.
That's what made that era great, though. You are talking about the heydays of the 8-bit and 16-bit eras with a thriving arcade scene. You had all these great home console games plus the second golden age of arcades. It was awesome being able to walk into any mall and find an arcade with stuff that looked light years better than the stuff you had at home. Just imagine a room with like 50 of the best arcade games all blasting sound effects and music. It was glorious! Then when you got home you had all your great home console games. Once we got arcade perfect ports at home in the PS1/Saturn era, there wasn't really any point to go to the arcades anymore. Then once games got way more cinematic and narrative driven, arcades become largely obsolete in the U.S.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if a game originated in the arcades, then chances are it was much better and more appealing to the masses than the home ports. I think newcomers to early '80s gaming would be better off exploring arcade games first, and then later try old consoles and computers knowing what the limitations are.

The Atari 2600 appreciation thread needs more love, though:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/atari-2600-and-starpath-supercharger-appreciation-thread.15114

my mom had an intellivision

that thing was rad
Yes. And the Intellivision one:
www.resetera.com

Mattel Intellivision Appreciation Thread

After the success of their handheld sports games in the late '70s, toy giant Mattel was preparing the release their first game console. The Intellivision was test marketed in California in 1979, and given a full North American release in 1980. After that, it saw release in Europe, South America...

Last edited:

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I have no attachment to the Atari 2600 but can appreciate minimalism and simplicity. Do you hold these arrogant views with respect to indie games where the protagonist is a block, etc?

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have no attachment to the Atari 2600 but can appreciate minimalism and simplicity. Do you hold these arrogant views with respect to indie games where the protagonist is a block, etc?
2D Indie games are a dime a dozen and REALLY need to stand out for me to gain my interest. But that's sorta off topic.
It's one thing to be minimalistic, but when you can't even tell whats going on on the screen that's too dated.
I played Haunted House and i couldn't even tell if i was moving or not.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It was the first game console I ever owned, but man I could not get into it

NES is when gaming got good for me

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Haunted House scared the absolute shit out of me.

I played Combat for years before I learned you could hit the Select (?) switch and play airplanes and fighter jets, not just tanks.

metallik

Jul 10, 2019
When you start with basically nothing beforehand, games like Adventure were amazing to play. Pitfall II and River Raid are plenty challenging and fun even today. If you have an original system with paddles and a CRT, Kaboom! is a perfect test of hand-eye coordination, and 4-player Warlords (or even better, Medieval Mayhem) is an awesome party game. It's also fun to see just how far creative programmers could push the hardware (128 bytes of RAM and 4K addressable ROM). Tunnel Hunt, Solaris and Millipede are all pretty amazing programs for the system and all pretty fun.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Atari 2600 is purely for nostalgia trip. I can't imagine anyone who didn't grow up with it to enjoy its games. I bought the collection on PS4 and still have absolute blast with games like Centripede, Circus or Tempest.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Play kaboom with a paddle controller

you'll feel like we regressed. Why do games that don't even use dials exist

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's so hard to enjoy those games as a gamer who played first on newer consoles. Those graphics, those sound effects, those very simple gameplay and... But they were AMAZING for that time and it has a great feeling of nostalgia for who played with it those days.
My father was a western lover, bought Outlaw and we played it for hours and hours. Looking at the box art of that game after so many years, made me want to cry and I want to go back to those years... :(

l947_atari-2600-vcs-outaw-409x600.jpg

efpo_4e166641b046b4075d5d4cc6449b3c7c.png

My mother loved Pitfall and she was more professional in that game than me and my brother! One of the few games she ever played, alongside Circus Charlie on NES.

6p6u_bysp2wtdkw201.png

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
When I put my Retropie list together I ended up with like a dozen Atari 2600 games on the list. Most good games of the era are much better as arcade/MAME games. I think I had 3 5200 games.

I'd have more if I had a good practical method for paddle controllers. Wish I had good NES compatible paddles or adapters for my Analogue NT mini.

Some of the gems are paddle games like Kaboom!

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Man, it was a great time to be alive. The games werent on par with arcade but they were fun, and it was fun being able to play at home. Berserk, Space Invaders, Pitfall, Asteroids, Kaboom, Frogger - good good times. Also - at the arcade, Vector graphics were the shizz, still think they look cool.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
That atari flashback machine is easily updated with fan made firmware that lets you add games via SD card.

You can have the entire 2600 library on there in 4 MB or so

Dec 2, 2017
My parents got me a 2600 for Christmas one year instead of an NES.

I made the best of it, but yeah. A handful of games were cool, but it mostly sucked. I liked Joust...to put into context how low the bar was on this system, I was so legit hyped when I saw it had a title screen I ran downstairs and told my mom before I even started the game. She didn't care.

Asteroids was okay, Frostbite was pretty addictive, I loved Missile Command because I was a dumb little kid who thought mushroom clouds and nuclear war were cool. Defender was alright for a while.

But the system had the stupidest joystick, I will never understand why it was so rigid and difficult to move.

Mercifully my parents came through with the NES the next year and my life was properly ruined as I became a full-on gamer. Though of course the spoiled kid across the street had to kill the buzz by scoring a Genesis at the same time. I'd never even heard of it!

Last edited:

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
That's all there was, that and arcades. Games weren't and all day, whole life consuming hobby like it later became with NES and after. 2600/old console gaming was just a part time thing for us kids in between watching way too much TV and playing outside. My first arcade game was Nintendo's Popeye and Donkey kong at the laundromat and when I found out I could get them for my 2600 and play them at home my mind was blown but yeah reality sunk in when I actually got the games and they looked nothing like the cool arcade graphics. Still some of the best memories though, I played the shit out of all the classics from Asteroids to space invaders to pac-man and even had mario bros on 2600. Good times.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Most people just go into these games without any perspective. They have played modern games and are suddenly trying to play old games. They were awesome for the time. At the time there was no Mario, no Final Fantasy, no Uncharted etc. They were happy to play those games because that's all there was. No need to feel sorry for them, they were doing just fine and having the same kind of fun you are with modern games.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents got me a 2600 for Christmas one year instead of an NES.

I made the best of it, but yeah. A handful of games were cool, but it mostly sucked. I liked Joust...to put into context how low the bar was on this system, I was so legit hyped when I saw it had a title screen I ran downstairs and told my mom before I even started the game. She didn't care.

Asteroids was okay, Frostbite was pretty addictive, I loved Missile Command because I was a dumb little kid who thought mushroom clouds and nuclear war were cool. Defender was alright for a while.

But the system had the stupidest joystick, I will never understand why it was so rigid and difficult to move.

Mercifully my parents came through with the NES the next year and my life was properly ruined as I became a full-on gamer. Though of course the spoiled kid across the street had to kill the buzz by scoring a Genesis at the same time. I'd never even heard of it!
Kids that got the 2600 in the era of Nintendo/Sega consoles understandably usually weren't very happy about it. No one wants to be multiple generations behind even if there are some good games for it. I felt bad for one neighbour playing Rampage and Double Dragon on 2600 while everyone else had SMS or NES. As much as I love the 2600, some games should never have been attempted on it.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
My first game console was an Atari 2600. I was 5 years old. That was in 1985 (electronic stuff came later in Mexico on those days). I couldn't believe I could control the character on screen. It was like magic to me. And you could change games! And I borrowed some games from my older cousins! It was heaven to me.

I'm glad that was my first experience with home consoles (my first experience with videogames was in a mall that had Arcade machines) because since then I've seen the evolution of videogames. I watch it now in retrospective and... A computer with my Atari XE!!!! Two buttons for the Nintendo (NES)!!!! The graphics on the SNES!!!! Real 3D on the N64!!!Cinematics on the PS1!!! I could go on and on and on...

I can get if OP didn't like the Atari games. I feel the same when I play most Smartphone games. Those games are more of a quick and short experience instead of the long adventures we're now used to. (Most of them, I know there are different games, but I think developers earn more from F2P games than long but paid games)

I would be a liar if I told you that Atari games are better than any game now... But there are some unique or interesting choices: Jungle Hunt, Defender, Moon Patrol and Yar's revenge are fun. Maybe you could also try Phoenix and Vanguard, as those games were the first to have a final Boss. And yes playing with that awful stick and only one button is horrendous.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I was technically born outside of the Atari generation, but I played it a ton at my grandparents in the late 80's to early 90's. Adventure was tits, boxing wasn't the worst, neither was donkey Kong jr.

But yeah I wouldn't go back to play those games willingly, and even growing up on the NES, there are only a select few I'd play today as well. My gaming Love and life truly belong to the SNES and later era.