• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

@synaesthesiajp : "We had our chance. We failed. They know why we failed. Lots of great people left after we failed. Some because we failed. I'm sad that it is now a drunken meme."

Every time someone in the industry brings up Scalebound, I always wonder why more people behind the scenes don't talk about it. Obviously NDAs for specific stuff, but given how often small tidbits of nothing make the news, I'm surprised we don't see more of this.

I just can't see this game coming back, not anytime soon. PlatinumGames is working on a ton of stuff, and they seem to be focused on self publishing multi-platform stuff anyway. By the time they had the opportunity to work on it, would it really be worth salvaging anymore? I couldn't imagine anything other than a hard reboot.

I was moderately interested in Scalebound and would be very curious about a potential return, but why isn't it time to give it a rest and move on yet?

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully those concepts and tech show up in some form or fashion eventually

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scalebound would be looked as a joke like Crackdown 3 if it was released. It's cancellation was only used by console warriors as an anti-xbox narrative tool for a reason.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully those concepts and tech show up in some form or fashion eventually

I mean

scalebound01first1280-1438702879865_large.jpg

DfXgLTaX4AEj0Br.jpg

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why on Earth was he on VideoGamesAwesome? Fraser has scammed his fans into the ground.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering what was gonna happen when Kamiya drunkenly shouted "email Microsoft" yesterday. Seemed like he was unintentionally opening up a big can of worms with a joke.

Edit: For context, this came after he said he wanted to make Okami 2 and Dante X Bayo, and told people to email Capcom.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is VGA not well liked here? I love Fraser, Becky and the rest of the gang. I really hope they haven't done anything wrong :(

I have been a fan of their since before they started streaming live. However since their move to Japan (and a bit before that) their dedication to the show and quality has dropped completely. However that's not the worst bit, he reached around $6000 goal for his AwesomeVideoGames show to have a new season. Spent several months filming with the original cast before leaving to Japan and has jack all to show for it since and it's be over four years at this point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering what was gonna happen when Kamiya drunkenly shouted "email Microsoft" yesterday. Seemed like he was unintentionally opening up a big can of worms with a joke.

Edit: For context, this came after he said he wanted to make Okami 2 and Dante X Bayo, and told people to email Capcom.

People really need to stop reading too deeply into what Kamiya says, especially while drunk or on Twitter. The dude runs his mouth constantly.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a useful tool to build an anti-Microsoft narrative around

That may be true, but I'm also positive it showed up in fanboy list warz if you were a #XboxWarrior prior to cancellation.

Thing is it's all hypothetical because it never came out, but let's not just entirely discount the many megafans of PlatinumGames and Kamiya himself that were looking forward to the game.

This late into the generation and so many years after the cancellation, I'm more inclined to believe the people that still say they cared actually did.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone shat on Crackdown but that got released. I think Scalebound looked to be in better shape too for early showings.

My guess is that Crackdown released because of the backlash to Scalebound's cancelling. Crackdown was in development hell but the silly backlash and furor over them cancelling Scalebound may have made Microsoft feel like they had to Get Crackdown released even if it was going to be mediocre. I can only imagine the reaction if they'd canned CD3 as well.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Seems kinda bitter at the whole situation, like he's hinting at some behind the scenes fuckery Kamiya is guilty of.

I really wonder what happened.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
why do people keep acting like some of us weren't genuinely interested in this game and excited to play it

it's not some fanboy console thing. I like Kamiya's games and they mean a lot to me. I wanted to play this game. I don't really give a shit about pushing some "anti-Microsoft narrative"-- that's completely ridiculous and moronic sounding. That is one of the dumbest things I've seen pushed on here lately.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was in on the game from day one. I still don't understand what people felt looked "bad" about the game, unless you didn't like the art style

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
why do people keep acting like some of us weren't genuinely interested in this game and excited to play it

it's not some fanboy console thing. I like Kamiya's games and they mean a lot to me. I wanted to play this game. I don't really give a shit about pushing some "anti-Microsoft narrative"-- that's completely ridiculous and moronic sounding. That is one of the dumbest things I've seen pushed on here lately.
I agree. I love Kamiya and was excited for the game. It's not crazy to be excited for a game from a popular developer and a great lead designer.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here's my take, from past observation, interaction, and experience:

If you're a big ol' Xbox fan, it's easier to move on from a cancelled Exclusive game if it deserved to be cancelled, or if you were never interested in it anyway, or if you hate Kamiya, etc. (If you really care about exclusives)
Combine that with a sense of insecurity and persecution that there's already a general xbox-negative bias on the forum, particularly coming from The Old Site (Which I do believe is still somewhat true today, but there are always bad faith arguments against any holy console god on ResetEra), and its easy to understand why you get these responses.

Personally, I think there's a smidge of some truth to the statement, but its way overblown. This is of course not to say any criticisms over the course of the game's showing before cancellation are invalid.

May 25, 2019
London

I'm sure there are general Platinum fans who were excited for it, but every bit of gameplay they showed look terrible to me, and every journalist or critic who had hands-on time came away with poor to below average impressions of it. At no time did the game show any kind of promise to the average consumer beyond "dinosaurs". Its cancellation however was held up as proof of why Microsoft was terrible at developing noteworthy new games and used by many as a slight against Phil Spencer when he started to attract positive press coverage for his moves like BC, Game Pass, cross-play, and more. To the point where even years later, you can still see some people bring this up in Spencer threads.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
My guess is that Crackdown released because of the backlash to Scalebound's cancelling. Crackdown was in development hell but the silly backlash and furor over them cancelling Scalebound may have made Microsoft feel like they had to Get Crackdown released even if it was going to be mediocre. I can only imagine the reaction if they'd canned CD3 as well.
Barely anyone would care because CD3 didn't have a talented studio and one of the most renowned game directors working on it. Scalebound was Kamiya's dream game.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Scalebound will never be released and therefore always the perfect game. It's dead, nobody who can talk played it, so in the minds of those who wanted Scalebound it will be whatever they imagined with no way to prove otherwise.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Every time someone in the industry brings up Scalebound, I always wonder why more people behind the scenes don't talk about it. Obviously NDAs for specific stuff, but given how often small tidbits of nothing make the news, I'm surprised we don't see more of this.
I'd say it's a case of people being careful in social media and bound by NDAs and/or fear of repercussions (especially as tiny comments that often lack the full context to really get anything substantial out of). Developers do talk (read: vent) a lot about these kinds of projects to each other (over a pint), but it's a lot easier to talk with someone who understands the environment of making games and the fact you get to have actual dialogue of substance. For example I've once listened to a friend discuss a few entire hours about just a few aspects of their character pipeline that ended up being a nightmare for the entire game and its production. But those are the things people want to talk about, yet the twitter audience will not have the substance expertise to discuss and not make a whole mess out of it and then end up in the news (and have potential real life consequences thanks to youtubers making ridiculous conspiracy theories and what not. It's just a super hostile environment for developers, and most can get the satisfying and safe discussion place from each other, not the internet.

EDIT: case in point:
Seems kinda bitter at the whole situation, like he's hinting at some behind the scenes fuckery Kamiya is guilty of.

I really wonder what happened.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
If the game came out I would've bought an XBO at least. I did the same for Bayonetta 2 on the WiiU. Scalebound being cancelled really hurt Platinum at the time.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Sometimes games fail before release. It isn't the first time, it won't be the last time. Microsoft and Platinum are fine.

Looking forward to all of their upcoming releases

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game always sounded like a good game, at no point it looked like a good game. Time to move on folks.