• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
UK
This is Nier 4.
This is Drakengard 4.
THE WONDERFUL 4.

Honestly the dream would be Platinum has 4 games coming that they completely own. Shame I doubt Sega will give up Bayonetta and Vanquish rights.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
4 million troops

First thought was that font and color scheme looked very NieR-ish, but can't see how that relates to 4, so probably something like four games they're publishing instead

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
4 million troops

First thought was that font and color scheme looked very NieR-ish, but can't see how that relates to 4, so probably something like four games they're publishing instead
I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a new Nier project tbh. The 4 teaser is extremely close to the Nier Automata teasers.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I hope so, but is that marketing something Platinum would even be handling?

They wouldn't be. Square Enix would announce that. People just want to believe it's Nier. At this point the next Nier is probably next-gen so I don't see them announcing it now anyway.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair the capcom 5 did end up being the capcom 4

I am extremely interested to see what happens

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
That would be insanely disappointing lol. Two ports, a reveal to a game we already know is coming and one new announcement.

Luckily Bayonetta 3 will be a Direct thing so we don't have to worry about that.
Nah, just being realistic. People are already setting themselves up for disappointment, expecting 4 sequels/new games...how's Platinum supposed to pull that off, when they're already busy with (at least) Bayonetta 3 and Babylon's Fall?

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm seeing people bring up a couple titles, think it needs to be stressed as some posters mentioned here: While not impossible, it's highly more likely these'll be IPs where Platinum Games has some level of ownership (even if a publishing arm controls/owns it to a degree). Nier and Drakengard are both directly owned by Square Enix and Platinum Games only was involved with a couple of these. So I just don't see that happening.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Gestalt and Replicant were the same game (Nier 1) with differently aged protagonists for the Western/eastern audiences. In the west Nier was a father and in the East he was a brother instead.
Not exactily, Replicant and Gestalt were the names of the PS3 and 360 ports which both came out in Japan — Gestalt on the PS3 starring a middle aged man on a quest to save his daughter and Replicant on the 360 starring a teenage boy on a quest to save his sister. Gestalt was the only one brought over to the West though since it was deemed the better fit and likely wasn't viewed as a huge priority by Squeenix.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
I think they wanted to self-publish more smaller games now that they got funding from Tencent? "Platinum 4" makes it look like 4 different games, not the fourth sequel for a series.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Wonderful 101 (Port)
The Wonderful 102 (Sequel)
The Wonderful 99 (Battle Royale)
The Wonderful One (Dating simulator with Wonder Red)

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I can't believe we're finally getting Okami 4

Because the first game was three games in one and Okami-den doesn't count

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect this to be an announcement of 4 games. W101 included, no idea what the rest could be though. Okami 2?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm seeing people bring up a couple titles, think it needs to be stressed as some posters mentioned here: While not impossible, it's highly more likely these'll be IPs where Platinum Games has some level of ownership (even if a publishing arm controls/owns it to a degree). Nier and Drakengard are both directly owned by Square Enix and Platinum Games only was involved with a couple of these. So I just don't see that happening.

A sequel to Nier Automata seems inevitable. It was a massive success and a sequel for next gen consoles would get a lot of people excited.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see what they've been 'holding onto' in order to make sure they would own their creation.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It'll get a sequel, definitely. However, it seems that Automata was such a big success that SE are moving development in-house, away from PG. They recently started hiring people at SE for new Yoko Taro projects.
That would be a shame, hopefully they're just working as support while Platinum is still involved in the development (sort of like what Nintendo EPD did for W101 and Bayo 2)