• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
The font and the tone looks like Automata related.
I guess it is either Nier Automata Switch port or Nier follow up.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Wait - April 2020? That's so soon! So this kickstarter is basically just a preorder system then, huh?

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
2: Bayonetta 3
3: Babylon's Fall
4: Vanquish 2
Platinum 4 is (or at least seems like to be atm) about Platinum's self published games, so that pretty much rules out Bayo 3 and BF entirely.

Vanquish 2 could technically happen, but I doubt Sega would let Platinum publish that on their own if they ever made a sequel.

Jan 11, 2018
Platinum 4 is (or at least seems like to be atm) about Platinum's self published games, so that pretty much rules out Bayo 3 and BF entirely.

Vanquish 2 could technically happen, but I doubt Sega would let Platinum publish that on their own if they ever made a sequel.

Oh, good point. I wonder if the other three are remasters as well. If not, they are the busiest dev in the industry, given how many original projects they already have in the works despite not being a huge studio.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i'm expecting one of the projects to be scalebound with the numbers filed off
kamiya seemed waaay too attached to that project to just let it go

i imagine it's bound to be smaller in scale, though

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, good point. I wonder if the other three are remasters as well. If not, they are the busiest dev in the industry, given how many original projects they already have in the works despite not being a huge studio.
what else would they even remaster? they don't own anything they make. the simplest answer, to me, is 3 new IPs of various size

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
The problem with this theory is the four is literally in the URL for the site, and they're literally promoting the #Platinum4 hashtag for Twitter.
I didn't say it was a good theory, lol. That's what I get for posting right before leaving for work.

Really, whatever it is I'm all for it. I've been playing Okami lately and it's giving me an itch to play something a bit more complicated combat-wise

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 3 is hilarious to me when that has nothing do with Platinum lmao. That's SEGA and Nintendo

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
To be fair, I'm guessing at least one of these will be a mobile title.

If we get 2 new multi-plat IPs out of the 4, I'll be be very happy.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Nope. As I wrote earlier, Bayo 3 is fully funded by Nintendo.

What I said is accurate: it's a Nintendo-published game, but Nintendo doesn't own the game. The legal info on Platinum's website and in the teaser trailer explicitly states Sega is the sole copyright claimant.

that doesn't mean the game will go to Sega. that stays with Nintendo since it's their money

Sega being the one and only copyright claimant tells us the game is Sega's. If Nintendo owned the game to any extent, this would be reflected in the legal info, just as is the case with Bayonetta 2. All Nintendo owns is publishing rights -- but, again, historical precedent tells us that's not going to be the case forever.

If Nintendo funded the game, then they likely have ownership of certain assets of it. Possibly the code or some of the characters.

You do raise a valid point, but this would be reflected in the legal information for the game. Platinum may add some assets that are based on Nintendo IP, however, and these, of course, wouldn't make the jump to other versions of the game (Lego City Undercover again being a pertinent example).

Edit: Just to be super-duper clear, I'm not arguing that Bayonetta 3 going multiplatfom may be one of the announcements. I think we can safely rule out "We'll be porting our upcoming Switch exclusive to other platforms in x years!". ;)

Last edited:

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i wonder if any of these other three projects will involve platinum branching out in terms of genre?

i doubt it myself but it'd certainly be interesting to see platinum try their hand at something that isn't all action

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I do wish we had some idea of how soon we should expect news on the other three titles; the fact that they're grouping them together like this certainly does seem to indicate the announcements won't all be too far from one another. Should I be hyped for tomorrow?

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not crazy about platinum games but it's cool to see them going into business for themselves which allows for multiplatform releases. They're not the most technically sound developers but action games trapped to nintendo consoles is a travesty. Good luck to them
So much cringe in this post 🤡

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
So I haven't been in this thread long but is it possible for Sony and Microsoft to pay for publishing rights to bayonetta 2 now that it's a few years old?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So I haven't been in this thread long but is it possible for Sony and Microsoft to pay for publishing rights to bayonetta 2 now that it's a few years old?
No. Nintendo funded the game and have ownership of it. It's never going to a non-Nintendo platform without their say.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Bayonetta 2 port, Okami 2 finally, God Hand 2 maybe, Vanquish sequel, Scalebound realization this time, etc.

I'll take them.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Friend put the idea of a MGR remake/sequel into my head... as much as I think it's super unlikely I'm still feeling hopeful for it now... ha.
Other than that, something Nier related looks likely, style of the website looks very Nierish to me.
Something Madworld related would be cool too!
Scalebound would be cool too, but guess it's up to MS to give them the IP back and wonder I'd they would, at least not without something in return.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I guarantee you they will. Publishing rights literally always revert to the copyright holder (Alan Wake being the most recent example). It may take longer than 4 years, but it will happen.

That rally depends from contract they made, but from link down its very obvious that Sega owns IP, PlatiniumGames made games and Nintendo founded both Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 3 with their money, so rights for both games belong to Sega and Nintendo.

https://www.dualshockers.com/bayonetta-3-switch-exclusive-hideki-kamiya/

So was TW101, AFAIK.

Yes and W101 couldnt go multiplatform if Nintendo did not allow that,
but like PlatinumGames said, that's more expectation than anything else, people shouldnt expect same thing for Bayonetta 2/3 and Astral Chain.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
That rally depends from contract they made, but from link down its very obvious that Sega owns IP, PlatiniumGames made games and Nintendo founded both Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 3 with their money, so rights for both games belong to Sega and Nintendo.

Bayonetta 3 isn't a Bayonetta 2 situation; it's a Lego City Undercover situation. Again, if Bayonetta 3 were co-owned by Sega and Nintendo, as 2 is, this would be reflected in legal blurbs -- but it isn't. It is vaguely possible there have been developments since the 2017 announcement/teaser trailer and the game page on Platinum's website is in need of an update, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Bayonetta 3 isn't a Bayonetta 2 situation; it's a Lego City Undercover situation. Again, if Bayonetta 3 were co-owned by Sega and Nintendo, as 2 is, this would be reflected in legal blurbs -- but it isn't. It is vaguely possible there have been developments since the 2017 announcement/teaser trailer and the game page on Platinum's website is in need of an update, but I wouldn't count on it.

Well Hideki Kamiya says different, and I guess he know more about deal than you and I.

I dont know for sure what was exactly situation with Lego City Undercover, but its very possible that Nintendo just pay for game to be timed Nintendo exclusive,
but thats quite different compared to this situation where they founded and finance hole game development.

Last edited:

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Well Hideki Kamiya says different, and I guess he know more about deal than you and I.

All he's saying is that Nintendo is funding development, which I don't dispute, and that Platinum doesn't have any legal claim to the game because "all of the rights" are split between Sega and Nintendo, which I also don't dispute: Sega owns the game and IP, and Nintendo currently owns publishing rights.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Yes and W101 couldnt go multiplatform if Nintendo did not allow that,
but like PlatinumGames said, that's more expectation than anything else, people shouldnt expect same thing for Bayonetta 2/3 and Astral Chain.

People should.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
All he's saying is that Nintendo is funding development, which I don't dispute, and that Platinum doesn't have any legal claim to the game because "all of the rights" are split between Sega and Nintendo, which I also don't dispute: Sega owns the game and IP (one half of the equation) and Nintendo currently owns publishing rights (the other half).

Well he also wrote that "rights owners decided that the game should be made for Switch", that imples that both Sega and Nintendo have power of decision on which platform/s game will be released.

May 21, 2018
Could it be

Anarchy Reigns???

This would not end well.

Dedicated servers and a whole host of other fixes and tweaks would be vitally necessary in order to ensure that the game doesn't die abruptly once again.

They can't just "dump" this particular game somewhere and add a little DLC to it -- peer-to-peer matchmaking is a 'major' issue for a CQC melee brawler (and especially for one with so many questionable mechanics). Even For Honor's team found that out -- yeah, it's a vastly different game compared to AR, but it still had to be put on dedicated servers.

AR would be a more costly endeavor in the end than any of their single-player games due to the continued investment required for multiplayer game upkeep (patches, anti-cheat protections, etc).

I have a strong feeling that despite an initially huge buzz upon announcement (mostly due to "less than informed" people always talking about the J-rap ost), Anarchy is still going to be a dead game within a month or two, regardless of platform.

I've played the game since 2012 up until around 6 months ago, so that's where all of this is coming from. They'd be better off just crafting a completely new multiplayer project from scratch. We will see what happens.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Bayonetta, Vanquish and now The Wonderful 101 are getting remasters this year. Don't think they will remaster anything else. But who knows.

A new Metal Gear Rising would be pretty cool.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Just discovered that I've been blocked by Kamiya when I've not interacted with him recently... 🤔

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Why are we assuming these games are only those that PG will self-publish? They confirmed that?

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Vanquish switch could be an announcement? I know Sega bought the IP, but maybe it's a 101 situation. Or maybe Sega are letting Platinum do some marketing for them

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance we can get a switch port of star fox zero, but without the goofy controls? I really wanted to like that game; honest, ERA, but the dual screens killed it for me.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly expect three new titles of varying scale from the rest of this. This seems to be fully on the P* self publishing, so pretty much all of their big titles are out of the question for now.

And it's honestly tiring that even despite Kamiya himself explaining perfectly that Bayo 2 and 3 are Nintendo owned, the people expecting it to release on other platforms (save for maybe PC one day in the far future).
Baffling.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think JaseC is being unfair. He's not arguing Bayonetta 3 will get ported, so much as that the publicly available legalities pertaining to property ownership list only SEGA and not Nintendo, unlike Bayonetta 3. And that's true, that's a fact. Bayonetta 2 is listed as dual copyright (Nintendo / SEGA), while Bayonetta 3 is only listed as SEGA copyright. Could be an error, could be something that'll change, might not matter. But if you were going to argue about possibility of who has authority to port titles and where, it's a valid observation.