• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Soda is so insanely cheap and the markup is already extremely high. This is a shit move all around.

Alawys amazing to see anti-capitalism Era defend this kind of stuff.

Feb 1, 2018
This is a feature, not a bug. Theme parks just wanna make money, but this is the rare intersection of that desire + the betterment of your health. Unless you WANT pre-diabetes I guess

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I wish I had done a cost analysis of how much money I've saved by completely eliminating soft drinks from my life 10 years ago.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Errr.. aside from the fact I always follow the rules anyways (I also don't shoplift, go figure) I rarely need more than one drink anyways, who cares?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just another way Coke freestyle machines are fucking awful on top of being slow.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
It's a greed thing. If they only cared about loss they'd do smaller cups + forced ice. Instead they're doing the equivalent of a medium drink, with forced ice, for 4 dollars. Feels weird seeing people stan for the corp on this. Especially at a place where costs are already so high.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Encountered this first at five guys in Paris. Sucked, because I like to drink a second cup after I'm done with my meal.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
My local Legoland has this. But I think it allows for refills from special cups every 15 minutes or so.

My local Seaworld has a food pass you can get, that allows for a meal every 60 or 90 minutes.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that creates a lot more work for the staff and they'd also have to fit two big soda machines back there. those freestyle machines are big. probably they just didn't want to deal with those changes when it's way easier to just update the machine's firmware and enable the barcode feature.

They seem to manage ok pretty much everywhere else in the world.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, unlimited soda refills should be illegal for it's health effects alone.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep been around forever at Disney. Workers don't care though they just gave me a new cup

Even a lawsuit was filed because of the limits and false advertising for unlimited soda.

The $9 unlimited soda for a day with my annual pass cup is one of my favorite things about Universal as a local, actually. Soda or lemonade or icees everywhere in the park for that day, and the cup can clip to my belt or pack when I'm not using it.

Disney's dumb cup is for resorts only. Boo on that as a local. That doesn't help me at all.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
They seem to manage ok pretty much everywhere else in the world.
Yes I know, I'm only speaking about this specific location. It was recently redesigned, the behind the counter area is pretty cramped. So I can see why they would opt for a solution that doesn't need to move the machines which would require them to shift a lot of things around back there.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
He also pirated DQXI for the Switch.
venom-gif-png-12.gif

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn, because this can be easily abused by those who own the machines. But people stealing pop with their own cup does ruin it for others.

I guess? But soda from a fountain costs the restaurant pennies. Charging a few bucks for a drink delivers a massive profit margin. Being stingy with soda is incredibly cheap. Might as well limit patrons to one napkin or one toilet flush; they costs the same as a soda refill.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If they make me operate the drinks fountain myself I expect to get free refills for it. Otherwise you do it, what am I even paying you for?

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I guess? But soda from a fountain costs the restaurant pennies. Charging a few bucks for a drink delivers a massive profit margin. Being stingy with soda is incredibly cheap. Might as well limit patrons to one napkin or one toilet flush; they costs the same as a soda refill.
Due to our Woke af Green Initiatives® we are limiting napkins and toilet flushes to 1 per customer per visit
LETS ALL DO OUR PART™
Yes this raises our profits why do you ask

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's just a barcode? take a picture -- free soda for life

Yes, water, tea, and coffee are the only free drinks on board. Royal Caribbean sells an unlimited soda package, i'm sure most others do as well.

I've never been on a cruise (thankfully? due to severe motion sickness) but I always thought they were like all-inclusive resorts where the drinks flow freely. That's ridiculous

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Soda costs next to nothing and most of these places are probably charging way more than usual for the drink to begin with. Amazing.
I think in fast food the highest margins are in the drinks and fries. Especially the drinks.

I don't buy that this is because some assholes abused it. This is just to squeeze a few more bucks from people.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It has nothing to do with stopping theft outside of the people who would sneak into the park areas with their water bottles and fill em with soda which people did used to do all the time. They have to let you bring in water, so folks would bring water, then dump out and fill with soda at the various fast service stops.

But really its just about making money, ppl die in the heat at these parks and buy tons of drinks, it's pure profit

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The McDonald's not far from me installed this. I get it, because the store had huge problems with soda theft (large homeless population, and even saw people drive up in their car to fill up on free soda and then leave without buying anything), but it REALLY sucks for paying users.

The freestyle machines are fun because you can sample lots of different flavors to see what you want. and easily mix flavors. This is totally ruined with the barcode cups because sampling a drink will count as one of your refills. It's 100% bullshit.

You can easily mess up and the machine thinks you used all of your refills too. Happened to me on my first cup. The button wasn't working right and Ipressed it a few times in a row... and the machine thought I refilled my cup more than 3 times in the span of like 5 seconds. It's incredibly faulty.

cruise ships and resorts, I can understand them wanting to put reasonable limits on people who are staying there a long time from using way more than a typical person. But when you have to deal with this nonsense at every single fast food visit (which is likely to happen as they keep rolling these machines out all over the place) it's going to become real intolerable
It's actually extremely greedy and nothing else, soda costs nothing and is marked up insane amounts. Homeless people can have all the soda they like as long as that's all they do.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
it's just a barcode? take a picture -- free soda for life

I've never been on a cruise (thankfully? due to severe motion sickness) but I always thought they were like all-inclusive resorts where the drinks flow freely. That's ridiculous
The only one I've been on where the only thing you had to pay for drink wise was alcohol was Disney Cruise Line.
Celebrity, RC, Carnival, etc all sell packages.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Customer takes an extra inch from a corporation: That's stealing!!!

Corporations bust unions, kill pensions, stagnate salaries, ship jobs overseas, and layoff employees on a whim: That's capitalism!

Mar 3, 2019
Why do people care whether Mcdonalds is having a couple sodas taken? They are literally the highest profit margin in any business. Its just tap water and some extremely cheap syrup. Pennies/less than a penny per serving. I'm as pro capatalist as you will see on this forum and Im startled by these responses, its like r/hailcorporate up in here

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Really? Soda has, like, a 90ish% profit margin. Cheap motherfuckers.

Dumb story:

The restaurant owner of my college job used to get on us all the time for taking soda on our lunch breaks. During a meeting he once said "how would you like it if I came in you're house and took a soda from your fridge?". I replied that if I had a thousand sodas in my fridge I wouldn't care. That same guy got me fired four years later (after he had sold his portion of the business) and my manager mentioned that he brought it up during the meeting on whether to get rid of me or not.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
It costs these businesses like 5¢ per fill and the people stopping in for nothing but a free refill are most likely 99% poor. Just let these folks have your nickel for fuck's sake.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn, because this can be easily abused by those who own the machines. But people stealing pop with their own cup does ruin it for others.

It's the same reason why Costco keeps the onions/sauerkraut behind the counter now, as people would scoop up the food court condiments into tupperware containers for themselves.

But I suppose this is (conceptually) less silly than something like the Keurig 2.0 DRM.

The fuck? Holy shit, some people are so fucking cheap

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is new to me. Many food places in my area have the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines but hasn't implemented these refill limited cups. Only problem I have is the touch screens on the Freestyle machines are crappy, they don't immediately recognize the selection I make unless I start pounding on the screen and other people have had this problem as well.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Disney World does it for their refillable mugs. If you buy one, unlimited soda for your duration. But they don't want people using old mugs on future trips for free soda. It allows refills, but like once every few minutes.
If you buy a regular cup, it's unlimited refills like a normal cup of soda.
Resort specific ones are cool but at least they now seem to change the designs every season or so. We almost always buy one, and a refillable popcorn bucket, when visiting during the Holidays.
theyre not a terrible value either depending on how long you stay. I like using mine at home since they're insulated and work pretty well. Nice souvenir.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
The $9 unlimited soda for a day with my annual pass cup is one of my favorite things about Universal as a local, actually. Soda or lemonade or icees everywhere in the park for that day, and the cup can clip to my belt or pack when I'm not using it.

Disney's dumb cup is for resorts only. Boo on that as a local. That doesn't help me at all.
Just curious, not that it's super helpful, but as a local, couldn't you technically walk out of Epcot through the IG or to the contemporary at the MK with a resort cup any time you wanted? Probably worth it even if you only bring it on Epcot days and use it resorts via the IG around crescent lake or even at Riviera maybe via skyliner on the way to HS.

edit: I haven't bought one the past couple years though so I apologize if I'm wrong with when they deactivate.