• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detroit vs Chicago

• Detroit Style

Votes: 511 76.3%
  • Chicago Style

Votes: 153 22.8%
  • Chicago Thin Crust

Votes: 6 0.9%

• Total voters

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Detroit style is the way to go, though I do like Chicago Style every once in awhile.

If you ever do go to Detroit itself, make sure to pick up something from Mike's Pizza Bar. I've only been there a few times, but it's utterly fantastic pizza.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
20170216-detroit-style-pizza-47-1500x1125-1-750x563.jpg

VS

chicago-pizza.jpg

There can be only one! Which is it!?

one is a tart and the other is focaccia, where is the pizza?

those look good though...

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I didn't know that thta was called Detroit style. I'd prefer that but Chicago style is a good alternative once in a while. I don't think any pizza places near me make either.

It's either Greek style (which gets old fast) or thin brick oven style that is usually way too crispy. No real new York pizza here even though we get swamped with NYC and Connecticut people in the summer

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i love deep dish pizzas

not sure if there's frozen detroit pizzas nationwide but id be interested in trying

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I've had amazing Detroit pizza

I've had awful Detroit pizza

both are better than Chicago

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
NYer here and I've had both these types of pizza in their home states. Detroit style and it's not even close. My preference is NY style but Detroit is real close. Chicago style doesn't really do it for me.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never had chicago pizza till 2 months ago, my mom tried it at home and it was fucking delicious.

Before I was also just joking how there is no contest and that chicago looks weird, but honestly it is so tasty and I'm way more satisfied after 2 pieces of chicago than a whole pizza in NY style.

Detroit style looks like a style we do at home pretty often with a little thicker dough, which I also love.

I love doughy pizza, thin ass pizza can go fuck itself

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Detroit style pizza is outstanding.

The style has really taken off in the last few years ... restaurants all over the country are riffing on it and I've been really happy with the results.

Oct 30, 2017
I love pizza and can enjoy a deep-dish now and then but In these pizza battles, it's usually not going to be the Chicago deep dish in these cases. You win Detriot.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Detroit style done well is just awesome. But you've gotta get the sauce on top and the pan crust a good golden brown.

Chicago style has it's place. Give me some Lou Malnatti's with the sausage layer and green pepper? Damn. Good shit. But that's feasting and it's a LOT.

I want pizza now.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit style easy. I do like Chicago style, but Detroit is GOAT level pizza.

Do yourself a favor and find a Jet's if you haven't before. Also, Michigan has an insane amount of incredible places offering their variation of Detroit style pizza.

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
TIL that type of pizza was Detroit style. I mean if you like bread it looks ok..

Chicago done right is above all other types of pizza. The crust, the amount of toppings, cheese, the tomato chunks... its pizza's final form.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Never heard of Detroit Style but that looks like Rocky Rococo's and I'm a fan of that.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Detroit style is so very good. That brick cheese really is something else.

I've also spent probably too much time researching and recreating it...

556f3e20-cfd7-4d4f-bgpjqp.jpeg

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I love Detroit style but i might be biased living in Michigan.

But having a good Jets or Buddy's pizza is delicious. Crap even a quick Little Caesar's deep dish will hit the spot.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know what Detroit style was, but I had it once and it was terrible. Only pizza I've had that i would consider bad.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I have family in the Detroit area and every time I visited the we would get a Detroit style pizza, so good memories for me.

Jun 17, 2019
You know hit is getting old at this point. Deep dish is not Chicago style. Chicago style is thin crist cut in squares. Crispy enough you can hold it with one hand to not fall. This whole thing is BS with the damn Deep dish. Either put REAL Chicago style pizza up for people to vote on, or don't make these damn threads. Christ! We keep explaining, you guys don't listen.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
God damn this thread I'm trying to save money now I really want pizza :(

Also never had it, but I heard Chicago style be called a meat casserole and that is my view of it ever since. Would still like to try it.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I went back and forth on this a little bit at first, as having lived in Metro Detroit my whole life I wanted to be as fair as possible to this without letting familiarity bias play too much of a role. I love me some Detroit Deep Dish but I can see why others wouldn't, since it tends to be pretty greasy and is way more bready than other pizzas. I've only had actual Chicago deep dish a couple of times and liked it as well (room for lots and lots of sauce and toppings without overcrowding things, which is a bonus), though it's definitely a very heavy dish.

Ultimately I'm still going with Detroit style, since I feel like it's a bit better for regular consumption. A slice or two of Chicago style is good like...once or twice a year, but not something I'd consider having every few weeks.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
116372691_1666795230152369_1651404899973726272_n.jpg

Apollonia's in Los Angeles is the best pizza I have ever had. So Detroit style wins for me.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Another bonus for Detroit style is it might the easiest home pizza to make. You don't even need the special Lloyd pan if you have a similar sized cake pan.

www.seriouseats.com

Detroit-Style Pan Pizza Recipe

Detroit-style pizza is its own thing: topped with brick cheese, pepperoni, and red sauce, and a lacy, crispy cheese crust all the way around the edges. Here's how to make it.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I like both, but I've found I'm more often in the mood for Detroit than Chicago. Chicago is just a bit too heavy to crave all that often.

I vote Detroit.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Well I live in Metro Detroit sooooo my answer is obvious.

Nicks in Ferndale, Green Lantern, and Capri Pizza in Southfield are all great.

Nov 11, 2017
That Detroit style looks so much better. Look at that texture.

putting sauce on top instead of cheese and toppings has to be one of the stupidest decisions in pizza history. Plus they fucked up all the ratios of the ingredients. Terrible.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
That's not "Chicago style". That's Chicago deep dish pizza. Chicago style is a tavern style pizza, but nobody from the outside really knows that.