• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Link to full story
From the creators of RPG Maker MV

• Action Game Maker MV will be released this summer in Japan for 9,800 yen.
  • You can freely create the style of your game, from side-view to top-down view, as well as easily implement offline multiplayer that supports up to four players.
  • Programming knowledge is not required for any action, and in addition to standard scrolling action games, you can also create Metroidvania-style games, or Sonic the Hedgehog-style high-speed running action games that accomodate a physics engine.
  • You can casually implement graphics enarlgment, reduction, and rotation functions, as well as use movies for background scenery. Image and music materials from other Maker series programs can also be used.
  • Depending on how you present it, you can also make shooting games. The program will also support functionality expansions via plug-ins.
  • Currently, Action Game Maker MV is Windows-only. Commercial use is also allowed.
  • Action Game Maker MV will be playable at BitSummit Vol. 6 on May 12

No real screens of what the packaged graphics look like clearly yet, but this has me pumped. Sounds like we may finally get a robust engine for handling 2d combat without the need for a lot of coding. I'm hoping to see some in depth stuff on hitbox/hurtbox editting, hit stun, block stun and other stun scaling, potential juggle and physics, as well as what sort of basic functions are handled in the GUI. Usually a good deal of fiddling and code addition comes up with combat so here's hoping that Action Game Maker MV is a new tool set to take care of folks without needing them to learn to create plugins and code by hand a lot of core features.

Super excited for this. Eager to see a demo of the sonic physics, and metroidvania style level design tools. Gonna be so many beatemups and metroidvania projects soon thanks to this.

UPDATE! Apparently gonna be called Pixel Game Maker MV in some places.
More news on this from gematsu

Plus now the official site has launched!

COMING TO STEAM EARLY ACCESS THIS SUMMER!

The gallery at Gematsu shows off pinball and what looks like a Trials style motorcycle thing goin on. It specifically talks you can do motorcycle and other physics easily now with no coding experience so it looks like we got a lot of good options here. Looks very promising.
PeHuBuS.jpg
G3d85xt.jpg
A7jcI8G.jpg
6UEEJyf.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see it being very useful for quickly prototyping design concepts, but if it's robust enough who knows, might really see some cool stuff coming out of this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when this will hit steam and what kind of assets will hit? I think Deathsmiles had assets on their store at one point.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
RPG Maker MV is dope, I'd love to play around with this if it's any good. Their stuff outside RPGs has been... not great.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
they already did an action game maker a while back.

it seemed interesting, but was apparently poor.

It had some pack in nice songs though that I used >_>

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Very cool. I'm totally up for messing around with this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I know rpg maker mv has had plugins that made Zelda combat and other arpg stuff doable and decent for folks. Getting a vibe they may have learned from their own community for this. Gonna keep this on radar and try to update folks here as info comes out.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I knew this was by the RPG Maker team lol

Anyway this sounds cool. I probably shouldn't get this though, I still haven't done anything with my own copy of RPG Maker ://

The idea of it making shooters and beatemups sounds cool though

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This editor will live or die on how easy it is for mobility options and collision detection.

If it uses a WYSIWYG style interface like Super Mario Maker it would be useful for quickly placing objects and platforms. The thing is also if there is some kind of scripting function for enemy behaviors (does it track and continuously walk into the player (Castlevania Zombie for exame), or just walk back and forth on the platform it's on (Mario Red Koopa), Does it fly and home in on you (Ninja Gaiden Hawk)

I wonder if the mechanics will be in-depth enough to allow for combat to change depending on enemy range, like Castlevania weapon attacks when up close or shooting with a Gun like Contra / Metal Slug when far away.

I always wanted to make a stealth action platformer in the vein similar to the Rolling Thunder series. Maybe I'll give this a shot if it gets localized.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Nice! Don't really have any particular ideas at the moment, but I'd love to make something with this one day.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Will this be another game making software I'll buy and not make anything with it again? :/
I'm trying to make a game with RPG Maker MV, but since I don't want to make a turn-based RPG, it required quite a bit of tinkering to make what I want. Maybe I should make a separate project that fits RPG Maker's engine more.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I hope this wont be as bizarrely limited but weirdly convoluted like the previous Action Game Maker was. Once you got over the initial learning curve and learned how to bootleg around its restrictions you could make some decent stuff in it, but that time was probably better spent learning something else.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Using Sonic is probably not the best example here, especially since I sincerely doubt this will include any kind of Sonic-style physics engine. Mario is a better example for a more straightforward platformer.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Using Sonic is probably not the best example here, especially since I sincerely doubt this will include any kind of Sonic-style physics engine. Mario is a better example for a more straightforward platformer.
Maybe, but one of the pictures in the Famitsu thing is blatantly a Sonic loop.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
im still angry i cant export from rpgmaker ios to rpgmaker desktop

its like i have time to make stuff on ipad but on pc i m busy with other things usually

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what they mean by "Sonic-like," because there is a difference between being a physics driven platformer, and being a sonic game. They might not seem like different concepts if you haven't studied how Sonic actually works deep down, but they are. Sonic is physics driven, in the same way that old video pinball games like Epic Pinball were "physics driven", which is entirely different from the way, say, Pinball FX is "physics driven." Sonic's Physics, while complex, work the way they do because of a lot of really specific quirks about the mechanisms underneath it employs to let it fake the physics. Those mechanisms, and the faked physics, contribute to a feeling that is much more like video pinball physics than actual real life physics. And I don't mean things like jumping abnormally high. Again, it's sort of hard to explain unless you really understand how the Sonic engine works, but I wonder if the people making this understand that. And, similarly, these mechanisms also make sonic games particularly poorly suited for easy click and create programs, because they require a lot of tweaking of individual tile's metadata by hand.

I'd be really, really interested in seeing a "sonic-like" platformer from this. Not saying it can't be done, just curious to see what it does and how it does it, and what concessions that yields.

This editor will live or die on how easy it is for mobility options and collision detection.

If it uses a WYSIWYG style interface like Super Mario Maker it would be useful for quickly placing objects and platforms. The thing is also if there is some kind of scripting function for enemy behaviors (does it track and continuously walk into the player (Castlevania Zombie for exame), or just walk back and forth on the platform it's on (Mario Red Koopa), Does it fly and home in on you (Ninja Gaiden Hawk)

I would imagine that, given the flexibility this is boasting, any scripting system would be basically an entity and component system, where attributes are attached to objects to build more complex scripts.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Great, this will flood Steam with even more samey games.

Jokes aside, seems interesting. Will be nice to get more info on what exactly you can do with this.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The more people making games, the better!

This looks great, can't wait to see what the actual toolset is like though

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure I've ever wanted to try making a game so badly in my life. I've had this idea I've held onto for years that I might just try.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RPG Maker MV is kind of a mess so I'm hopeful that this has a smoother launch and base to work from. VX was more limited but a lot more stable and your games were less prone to major memory leaks.

INPAQ

Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder about those if you make a game using those rpg maker etc can you sale it? Or no

Its been several successful indie titles developed within the RPG Maker MV engine and digitally sold online. So yes, you can commercially sell the games you developed with RPG Maker and I'm sure the same will apply with Pixel Game Maker MV

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I want a shot of the UI so bad. Hopefully something akin to Mario Maker.
Most I've found was this one of shot of some of the sprite editer stuff and its timeline.
Today and tomorrow this thing will be in Kyoto for Bit Summit 6 apparently. Hopefully something comes out today on the 12 or on the 13th about it.
38vGeAz.jpg

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So if it's tiled based i guess it will be pretty limited graphically right ? Fixed resolution ? I mean in rpg maker you can use a background map and collision on top of it after all so who knows. You can also hack the resolution with plugins