Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I've pretty much seen this over and as a dog lover , it makes me sad. Dogs (or any pet) behavior is a direct reflection on their owners. I was thinking about it watching Judge Judy and man does she dislike pit bulls.

There have been many attacks and deaths in regard to pit bulls for one simple reason... shitty owners. I used to have a pit bull and it was one of the nicest dogs I've ever owned, no hostility at all. Essie my ramblings, I tend to think a lot when I'm at work.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It's not irrational per say. Pit bulls were bred to be fighting dogs, so people assume that deep down every pit bull is a fighting dog just waiting to be triggered. Although there's not a lot of evidence that actually supports this, it's not the kind of thing that most people care about to even bother looking up.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a pitbull for 9yrs and he is the sweetest thing. Sleeps between my legs every night, and when I'm awake is curled alongside our kitten.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So do shitty dog owners just tend to choose Pit Bulls or what?
Yes. It's self-perpetuating cycle. They have a reputation for being tough, so people that are going to be shitty owners but want to look tough get them. They act out because they never received any kind of training, and they continue to have the negative reputation.

All of the ones I've interacted with personally have just been aggressively lovey and want pets all the time.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh I don't know if animals attitudes are a direct reflection of the owners regardless if its a pit bull or chihuahua. Some are just assholes by nature.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It's not irrational per say. Pit bulls were bred to be fighting dogs, so people assume that deep down every pit bull is a fighting dog just waiting to be triggered. Although there's not a lot of evidence that actually supports this, it's not the kind of thing that most people care about to even bother looking up.
Pit bulls maybe more inclined to fight but any dog can be vicious if its he product of bad owners.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I'm a firm believer that the owner holds the responsibility to train and care for their pet. This holds true regardless of breed.

That said, I know of the negative stereotypes. I also know it's almost impossible to convince those who hold that belief.

If I had the room, I'd take them in a heartbeat. I'm a huge dog lover, however...who lives with 8 cats and no dog.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's owners for sure, but the breed is capable of far more damage than most other breeds as well. A shitty owner with a cocker spaniel is probably not going to cause the death of a neighbor's child or even a grown ass adult the same way a shitty pitbull owner will. The breed attracts bad owners, and I don't advocate putting them down, but I would suggest we stop breeding them so damn much when there are tons of other rescues available.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
My sister has had two pit bulls and they've both been super sweet, and great with her kids.

The second one is even a rescue that was horribly abused, and he's still a sweetie after some training and a good home.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Sad fact is assholes get certain breeds of dog to look tough. I've never seen one that wasn't with a complete hard man prick.

It is reflective of the owner but I also think some dogs are just more dangerous when out of control than others and is something I can't get over.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Pitbulls raised right can be extremely sweet.

That said, I remember my ex's pit growling at me when I got close to her and it being really hard to suppress my terror.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
They are very trusting dogs, and that trust is often broken when their owners turn that loyalty against people and other dogs - it's super unfortunate, because every pit bull I've ever met are just damn sweethearts.

Very sweet dogs that really just want to be loved and held.

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So do shitty dog owners just tend to choose Pit Bulls or what?

Yea, its a sterotype that keeps reinforcing itself because the people who beat and half starve thier dogs to make them more aggressive are gonna go out and get pit bulls. Those pitbulls then go on to maul jack russel terriers and human children when they inevitably escape whatever confines theyre in.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's frequently the owners. But I've also seen instances of it being instinct. For example, two of my best friends (married) have two pitbulls. My other friend found himself on one side of the dog, with the owner (female) on the other side. The dog instantly got aggressive (hadn't shown any aggression to that point) and bit him on the forearm, drawing blood and causing him to need stitches. All because the dog was in between the owner and my friend.

May have just been a freak accident, but I can't say a golden retriever would've acted in the same way in that instance.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I've pretty much seen this over and as a dog lover , it makes me sad. Dogs (or any pet) behavior is a direct reflection on their owners. I was thinking about it watching Judge Judy and man does she dislike pit bulls.

There have been many attacks and deaths in regard to pit bulls for one simple reason... shitty owners. I used to have a pit bull and it was one of the nicest dogs I've ever owned, no hostility at all. Essie my ramblings, I tend to think a lot when I'm at work.
Cool anecdote.

Pit bulls were bred to fight. Humans screwed them up. Story after story shows they can snap and bite the face off of a little kid in an instant.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's owners for sure, but the breed is capable of far more damage than most other breeds as well. A shitty owner with a cocker spaniel is probably not going to cause the death of a neighbor's child or even a grown ass adult the same way a shitty pitbull owner will. The breed attracts bad owners, and I don't advocate putting them down, but I would suggest we stop breeding them so damn much when there are tons of other rescues available.

A lot of good owners, mostly good owners.

Issue is at the core is that these dogs can cause a lot more damage than other dogs.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
A badly raised pit bull does cause s lot of damage but so would a badly trained German Shepard or badly raised chow chow. I fully believe shitty owners is the main cause of dogs going berserk like they do. I've sadly seen it way to much in my old neighborhood.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
A shitty owner with a cocker spaniel is probably not going to cause the death of a neighbor's child or even a grown ass adult the same way a shitty pitbull owner will.
This deserves to be highlighted. Neglected and poorly socialized dogs across the board can be aggressive and unpredictable. And the size/power of the dog makes a world of difference.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Blaming every dog attack all on the owners is as foolish as blaming it all on the breed. Some breeds of dog and more aggressive and more powerful than others.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I recently took in a 6 year old yellow lab, she's wonderful and likes to go up to new dogs and say hello. Yesterday while taking her for a walk, I turned a corner and a woman was walking a pit. The woman saw us and yanked her dog really hard, going "no, no, no, come on, come on, LETS GO" and ran back towards her house quickly. My lab didn't even begin approaching nor did that owner even give it a second thought than to turn back around. I feel wrong assuming these things, but I have to wonder if she did that to prevent her dog from trying to get away from her and come run up to my dog and possibly attack. The woman's face seemed so worried. Why even have that kind of dog if they can't be around others? I'll probably never know, I just hope that pit has a good home.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a lot of the pit bulls cited regarding "random attacks" are male and unfixed, which are risk factors for aggression in all dogs anyways.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
It's a muscular breed that is built like a tank with a very strong bite. Doesn't take much for a shitty owner to exploit those features.

I believe that it is also naturally more aggressive/protective than some other breeds.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm of the belief that a dog's owner is the primary result in a dog's behavior (not that their aren't shithead dogs out there!) and shitty people are attracted to the rough looking breed. Just like German Shephards and Rotts before Pit Bulls became the next big mean dog.

Honestly, I'd be way more terrified of my dog's breed considering her bite force is 3x that of a Pit Bull, and she can stand and kiss me (6'1") on the cheek.
rOoAsUG.jpg

This thing could rip my face off with no hesitation. But, she's well behaved, and the sweetest dog I know because she's in a loving family.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I was too hasty, sorry I tend to talk better in person. Yes pit bull are naturally aggressive and protective of their owners/home, but a good owners knows how to nurture that into a positive.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I recently took in a 6 year old yellow lab, she's wonderful and likes to go up to new dogs and say hello. Yesterday while taking her for a walk, I turned a corner and a woman was walking a pit. The woman saw us and yanked her dog really hard, going "no, no, no, come on, come on, LETS GO" and ran back towards her house quickly. My lab didn't even begin approaching nor did that owner even give it a second thought than to turn back around. I feel wrong assuming these things, but I have to wonder if she did that to prevent her dog from trying to get away from her and come run up to my dog and possibly attack. The woman's face seemed so worried. Why even have that kind of dog if they can't be around others? I'll probably never know, I just hope that pit has a good home.
My family has a poorly socialized dog that they're working on, and unexpected encounters with other dogs can be a massive hassle. He won't attack or anything, but he's still learning to not flip his shit at another dog. Not quite there yet.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Shitty people tend to be attracted to Pitts and Rottweiler dogs

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been confused by dog owners who think it is impossible that a breed like pit bulls can be different in nature from other breeds. Almost all breeds have different temperaments to some extent along with other strengths and weaknesses. I mean that's almost the entire reason we have so many different breeds of dogs, is it not?

I don't know much about the history of pit bull breeding itself, but if they were bred for fighting, then yeah, it makes sense that they were bred for aggression also. I'd like to see if there is an actual study on this.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have the link to the article about pit bull temperament compared to other breeds? I forget what organization did the study, but it seemed reputable. It was shocking to me that, according to the article, despite their breeding pit bulls are no more aggressive than other breeds of comparable size and strength. That was the issue really - pit bulls are strong as fuck.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's sort of self-fulfilling, unfortunately. A lot of people who own them have pitbulls because of the dog's stereotype and, being terrible owners, end up with a potentially dangerous dog that is poorly trained. This just makes more people fear them more.

Is it warranted? I think it is. The last time one of these threads came up a few months back I actually went and paid for a freedom of information request here in Edmonton on dog attack statistics. The city has a relatively strict dog registration policy and rather than most of the stats floating around that rely on media reports that are always 'a pitbull-like animal,' people would be, if anything, less likely to report their animal as a pitbull on official documentation.

I can post detailed stats if anyone is interested but in the past five years there were about 3500 reported dog attacks here in Edmonton (population ~1M). 370 were severe, with 108 from American Staffordshire Terriers. And yes I realize that there may just be more pitbulls here, so I also pulled overall animal registration numbers. 16.5% of pitbulls were involved in an attack consisting of multiple, severe bites. German Shepherds were involved in half as many attacks in five years (50 serious attacks) but that accounted for only 1% of that breed.

Most dangerous breed, interestingly, was just plain old Shepherd, or what people decided to register as such, followed by large mixed breed and then Cane Corso, Mastiff and Afghan Hound. Pitbulls tended to dominate the more serious attacks.

Also, someone reported a chihuahua attack at one point. A level 1 - dog barks, snarls, lunges, no teeth contact. I bet that person was terrified.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I might not be able to spot a bad owner at a glance but I can sure as fuck spot a pit at a glance. If one is coming my way, I move out of their way or re-route - especially if I'm walking a dog of my own. I've owned a pit myself and loved him to death but I cannot deny the fact that I have been bitten bad by dogs three times in my life - and every single time it was a pit. My sister worked as a vet-tech for 4 years, she had 5 bad incidents she still talks about to this day and every single one involved a pit. These dogs were also owned by people who probably wouldn't be described as bad owners by anyone here and certainly didn't exhibit any (reported) bad behavior prior to these attacks.

It's anecdotal but it is what it is and I'd be an idiot if I didn't let that affect how I act around the breed in the future. I view them similarly to how I view a loaded gun, it's very much safe when in the right hands but at the end of the day I need to weigh what risks I take and ultimately being in the immediate proximity to one is something I'd rather avoid if I can help it.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Breeds have certain generalizable characteristics, thats unfortunately not something that personal anecdotes can offset. The point of different dog breeds is precisely to specialize them in different areas. Im sure that there are many pitbulls that are as gentle and kind as any dog, with stable homes and owners, but the fact of the matter is that they were largely bred as confrontational dogs, often with blood sport in mind. This is not insignificant. There are of course other breeds like this, and they too need to be discussed.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This sounds like a gun control debate. Guns don't kill people, guns owned by idiots do.
Was kind of thinking something similar. The build of these dogs paired with an irresponsible owner leads to potential harm to other people. I love the breed, but know I wouldn't be able to give it the proper training to make it less dangerous to my family and others around, so I will never own one.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Was only a matter of time before the Dogsbite.org nonsense showed up.

This sounds like a gun control debate. Guns don't kill people, guns owned by idiots do.
Ahh yes because guns are also complex living creatures with their own free will that are immensely shaped and molded by the environment they develop in.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the belief that a dog's owner is the primary result in a dog's behavior (not that their aren't shithead dogs out there!) and shitty people are attracted to the rough looking breed. Just like German Shephards and Rotts before Pit Bulls became the next big mean dog.

Honestly, I'd be way more terrified of my dog's breed considering her bite force is 3x that of a Pit Bull, and she can stand and kiss me (6'1") on the cheek.
rOoAsUG.jpg

This thing could rip my face off with no hesitation. But, she's well behaved, and the sweetest dog I know because she's in a loving family.

Your Cat looks like the real killer.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Morbidly curious to see how many posts it'll take for the pit bull genocide crazies to show up.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean there are dogs that do have devastating bite force, and a pit bull is one of them.

Like personally I would not put my hand anywhere near an unmuzzled pit in any kind of situation that isn't very stable (somewhere quiet and/or isolated where random dogs/people will not show up suddenly and possibly startle the dog). Same goes for German Shepherds.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017