• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Dang, this guy better not be overhyping. Hard to imagine how it could be so good without any new mechanics but I guess the DLC Challenge levels were a great time, I shouldn't write it off.
This guy is Stephen Totilo, last seen in 2013 playing Pikmin 3 on a Wii U GamePad with the console plugged into the wall outlet at an airport. He knows what he's talking about :P

CvOMPUUXYAABbqP.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
i never noticed it before, but the button that looks like rewind on the results screen at the end of a day shows you a BOTW-style "hero's path" for the day. i get a kick out of watching all my pikmin get blasted away with a snowball and then slowly recollected from bird's eye view, lol.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, it's good to be back, Pikmin snap will live again!
But that's my post game when I can freely spend days sacrificing pikmin in the pursuit of dynamic pictures, until then no one left behind.

I will say there's one thing that's throwing me off on this version and I can't recall if the original was like this, but Alph only moves when the stick on the pro controller is at full whack so to speak and there's no movement otherwise if you were say making slight movements as you would to tiptoe or something in other games, it makes the movement feel like there's a whopping deadzone.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
There is nectar in Ultra Spicy mode. There is just less of it compared to Normal and Hard. I think the nectar egg frequency in Ultra Spicy matches the Wii U Pikmin 3.

The other changes I've noticed so far are that the monster have more HP, the days are shorter, Fruit have half the juice yield. And of course 60 pikmin cap.
Watching more of the GX stream, the enemies also seem way more aggressive in US, right?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I will say there's one thing that's throwing me off on this version and I can't recall if the original was like this, but Alph only moves when the stick on the pro controller is at full whack so to speak and there's no movement otherwise if you were say making slight movements as you would to tiptoe or something in other games, it makes the movement feel like there's a whopping deadzone.
oh and yea, the stick deadzone for character movement is annoying as hell here.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, this guy better not be overhyping. Hard to imagine how it could be so good without any new mechanics but I guess the DLC Challenge levels were a great time, I shouldn't write it off.
At least there is a "some" in there. Some of the best pikmin ever made are the fortress of festivity or formidable oak remix missions.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Does having a save from the demo unlock Ultra Spicy? Or do you have to finish the demo?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Getting a weird bug where I can't move backwards. I can only move the way I'm facing. I've tried closing the game and restarting and it's still happening :/

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just as good the second time around, which is impressive given Pikmin 3 was one of the Wii U's best titles. It's arguably even better, since Ultra Spicy is shaping up to be a pretty solid boost to the game's sense of urgency and difficulty. As far as added content goes, the prologue missions were fairly weak, so it's good to hear that the epilogue is a step up from that. Excited to try out all the DLC I never picked up as well.

Dec 23, 2017
Wife purchased this today. We are on day 6. Loving co-op. This game is a gem and their isn't anything quite like it. Having just as much fun as we did on Wii U.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I don't know why but I was super harsh on this back on the Wii U. I was super hyped, bought the Wii U just for Pikmin, and though I liked it, never enjoyed it anywhere near as much as 2 (one of my favourite games ever made).

The QoL additions are fantastic in this, and I'm enjoying it so much more than my first time back on Wii U. The Piklopedia is amazing, I'm so happy it's back. The Side Story and Mission Mode content is fantastic as well. My impressions of it are much improved, though it still doesn't compare to 2.

I love this series, and I can't wait for 4.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
This game is so fuckign good, bought the original on Wii U, bought this on switch. Love this series to death

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
I had a crazy busy workday today and wasn't able to pop this in until later in the evening when everything had quieted down.

I'm loving it so much. I had no idea the music would be this good! Particularly love the little nods to former songs like Pikmin 2's Valley of Repose.

So excited to play through this nice and slow this weekend and next week .

Last edited:

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why but I was super harsh on this back on the Wii U. I was super hyped, bought the Wii U just for Pikmin, and though I liked it, never enjoyed it anywhere near as much as 2 (one of my favourite games ever made).

The QoL additions are fantastic in this, and I'm enjoying it so much more than my first time back on Wii U. The Piklopedia is amazing, I'm so happy it's back. The Side Story and Mission Mode content is fantastic as well. My impressions of it are much improved, though it still doesn't compare to 2.

I love this series, and I can't wait for 4.

would you say QoL from 3 would be a barrier of entry for people who would want to play earlier Pikmin games? I played about 3-4 days of the first one but after the demo I thought I'll just get into the third one straight away

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I had a crazy busy workday today and wasn't able to pop this in until later in the evening when everything had quieted down.

I'm loving it so much. I had no idea the music would be this good! Particularly love the little nods to former songs like Pikmin 2's Valley of Repose.

So excited to play through this nice and slow this weekend and next week .
Yeah the soundtrack is so good. Really wish Nintendo would release more of their music.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Hmm...kinda surprised they left out the touch controls mentioned in the OP. If they were added to the Wii U version (which I haven't played the game at all in any version), I can't imagine it would have been too much work to throw it in here as an option. Weird. Now I'm not sure which version to get. I'm guessing the Wii U version much be dirt cheap at this point. Of course, all the extra stuff plus having all the paid DLC included here...hmm. I've played the older games with regular controls, so shit, this is still probably the version to get.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
This guy is Stephen Totilo, last seen in 2013 playing Pikmin 3 on a Wii U GamePad with the console plugged into the wall outlet at an airport. He knows what he's talking about :P

CvOMPUUXYAABbqP.jpg
Love this picture. I wonder why he put the cord under the console? There isn't any airflow going on at the bottom from what I remember.

I also suppose he pre-charged the game pad so he can go with a single wall outlet.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
The epilogue takes place in the same levels that the story mode? I read somewhere that there were new levels, but all I see in youtube are modified versions of the main story areas...

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
If he was cramming for a review as he said, the was his only option. Unless you're suggesting he use a Wii Remote in the setting lol.

I've no idea how the touch controls are, but I know they came later.
They were absolutely fantastic :( ... iirc they added them around 9 months or so after the game originally came out. The original stick-only controls were really bad. It's a tragedy that they haven't brought them over as an added option for portable mode.

Hmm...kinda surprised they left out the touch controls mentioned in the OP. If they were added to the Wii U version (which I haven't played the game at all in any version), I can't imagine it would have been too much work to throw it in here as an option. Weird. Now I'm not sure which version to get. I'm guessing the Wii U version much be dirt cheap at this point. Of course, all the extra stuff plus having all the paid DLC included here...hmm. I've played the older games with regular controls, so shit, this is still probably the version to get.
If the price difference isn't a big issue, Deluxe should be your pick, imo. The original is still fantastic, including the touch controls but who knows, they might also randomly patch touch controls into this one a year later without any warning lol. The other quality-of-life changes are just so good, though.

Love this picture. I wonder why he put the cord under the console? There isn't any airflow going on at the bottom from what I remember.

I also suppose he pre-charged the game pad so he can go with a single wall outlet.
just another random example of how the Wii U was the proto-Switch lol.

(re: cord - I think he just put things wherever they landed :D)

Last edited:

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I already 100%ed the game with no deaths back in 2013 (the final boss was hell, it took me several days until I could beat it without casualties). Definitely one of the best games on WiiU. I'm glad they're porting it to Switch with added content, but I'm not spending 60€ again on a game which I juiced so much a few years ago.

Hope all newcomers enjoy it and help finance Pikmin 4, lol!

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The No More Heroes ports OT is outperforming the Pikmin 3 OT. Not sure Nintendo got the release window right on this one. This is an excellent game and I loved it on Wii U but I'm just not in the mood for playing it right now on Switch. Just feels like a spring/summer game for some reason.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through the demo - any downside to just carrying on before starting the full game? The intro is pretty slow so I'd rather avoid that again if possible

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
...If the price difference isn't a big issue, Deluxe should be your pick, imo. The original is still fantastic, including the touch controls but who knows, they might also randomly patch touch controls into this one a year later without any warning lol. The other quality-of-life changes are just so good, though. ...

Yeah, if it ends up being about the same price as the Wii U version with its DLC, plus, of course, you get new content here on Switch, yeah, I can live without touch-screen control for now. And like you said, it could end up being something they incorporate later on.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was bingo battle always 2v2 like it says in the OP? I've not tried it in Deluxe, but back on Wii U I only recall there being 1v1.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Seeing this OT so low is depressing lol.
Playing some mission mode and I love the fact you can continue even when you ran out of time. It is a great way to learn and master the most difficult levels. And Pikmin gameplay is so fun I'm just glad I can go on lol
Also the locktarget is really good and efficient. I don't miss touch screen at all thanks to it.
I deeply wish the game will perform well because I need more pikmin in my life.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Excited to play this soon

Why did it release now, why not a month ago when there was nothing to even talk about, I'll never understand Nintendo

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
A bit conflicted on this. On one hand my 2nd hand Wii U I got earlier in the year came with a copy of this, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet (played 1 in March and 2 in August for the first time). I do enjoy the series and absolutely want to support it so we can get more entries, but full price is really a huge ask when I already have it, and will probably just beat the story and never touch it again.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Fantastic game. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it before. Mission mode is particularly great.

I'd buy it again this instant if I had any time to play games.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I can't recall my playthrough of the Wii U version, but I'm really struggling with the controls this time around. Maybe it's because I just played Pikmin 2 to get hyped for this release, but the lack of the C-stick marching controls really throws me.

Loving it all over again so far, regardless.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
A bit conflicted on this. On one hand my 2nd hand Wii U I got earlier in the year came with a copy of this, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet (played 1 in March and 2 in August for the first time). I do enjoy the series and absolutely want to support it so we can get more entries, but full price is really a huge ask when I already have it, and will probably just beat the story and never touch it again.
that's it right there, just play the version you already have.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the best couch coop games out there. Just a smorgasbord of content and an absolute delight to play

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Was the charge move in the Wii U version? I don't remember it.

I mean I love it, it's great how overpowered it is.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Got it today. Was on the fence of buying it ( own to WiiU version ) but it's s delight playing in handheld mode. Would have been great if it was bundled with 1 and 2. Hope those 2 games will eventually be available.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
would you say QoL from 3 would be a barrier of entry for people who would want to play earlier Pikmin games? I played about 3-4 days of the first one but after the demo I thought I'll just get into the third one straight away
Not really no, if you use the wii controls. I think the wii pointer controls are still the best way to control pikmin. The issue with the original pikmin 3 was the use of the gamepad. And the lock on QoL changes in P3D is not missed in 1 and 2 because charging is completely different in those games. In terms of gameplay, pikmin 2 is usually either one's most or least favorite pikmin due to how much content there is, but also how different it's pacing is.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Did you know?
Pikmin 3 also won the coveted award of Nocturnowl's 2013 Game of the Year?

See, between this and the pizza, the accolades are too strong
It is also still the front runner for Kazooie's Game of the Generations (3DS-Wii U-Switch-Xbox One-PSV-PS4). Hard to imagine anything will still pass it.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Waiting to get this in a week or two due to funds. Never played Pikmin before, but I played the demo and my friend who loves Pikmin got it and had me play Bingo Battle and Mission Mode with him and this definitely seems like a really fun game

SpookyTango

Mar 1, 2020
Waiting to get this in a week or two due to funds. Never played Pikmin before, but I played the demo and my friend who loves Pikmin got it and had me play Bingo Battle and Mission Mode with him and this definitely seems like a really fun game

Nice, I'm always interested in seeing new players' thoughts on the game/franchise. Hope you enjoy it.

This was one of my top three favorite Wii U titles, along with Tropical Freeze and Mario Maker, so it's great to have all three games (or sequels) existing on the Switch now.

A question - does anyone know at what point the Side Stories mode unlocks?