• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
After making this thread the other day, I've been revisiting some of my personal PS2 library of games and thinking a lot about the system and the types of games that were being developed during that time. I could go on at length about why that was a uniquely special time in gaming for me (and I already did in the other thread), but I thought I'd take another approach with this thread. I ask you to pick one game that best exemplifies what you personally loved about the PS2 as a games platform.

That doesn't mean it has to be your favorite game, but it should be a game that possesses qualities that convey the particular intersection of culture, budget, and consumer tastes within the gaming landscape on the PS2 at that time.

I'll go first to help demonstrate what I mean.

I nominate SSX 3.

51Y5JVM0Z8L._SY445_.jpg

I've decided to pick SSX 3 because it is a great example of a particular kind of game that we used to get during that period in time that we really don't anymore and might not ever get again. While the PS2 era is known for being arguably the last time Japan was a dominant force within the industry from a AAA software point of view, I'm singling out this American-developed and published game because it is very much a product of that particular moment of mainstream industry growth, just the right amount of hardware capability to make visually and aurally pleasing games, and ballooning but still relatively manageable development costs and timelines.

This footage captures the essence of PS2 gaming for me.

Believe it or not, this game came from Electronic Arts. That's right. If you're on the younger side, you might not realize that there was a time when the company wasn't nearly as reviled within enthusiast circles as they are nowadays. In fact, pretty much every game released by the EA BIG division during the PS2 era was a stone-cold classic. EA BIG was known for putting out supremely polished sports games with vibrant, arcade-style gameplay and licensed soundtracks that stood out among their contemporaries at the time. SSX 3 is, in my view, the apex of what that team was doing during the PS2 era.

Cruising down the mountain to these licensed tracks felt truly cutting edge at the time.

I was just playing it for my three-year-old son to see the other day, and the game just hooked us both in right away. The track design, the presentation, the SOUNDTRACK... everything just screams timeless quality and fun. Part of why I chose this game to represent the PS2 library's unique strengths also lies in its technical qualities. The PS2 might not be known for having great image quality due to its mostly 480i output (SSX 3 supports 480p, however), but it did arguably have more 60fps 3D titles than any console that followed it. SSX 3 is no exception in that it was one of the best looking games on the system while still targeting and mostly hitting 60fps. That was a far less rare approach during the PS2 era, where we'd get great visuals without having to drop down to 30fps. It was a nice balance, and it was clear at that time that developers were more inclined to prioritize higher motion resolution while still making great-looking games (for the time).

tl;dr - I'm picking SSX 3 because it was a 60fps, colorful, arcade-style game with a bangin' licensed soundtrack from a large western developer. That's uniquely "PS2" to me.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I was going to nominate SSX as well, but probably the first one. While it didn't have licensed tracks, it DID have Rahzel narrating, and the way the music layered as you did better and better just felt like something totally revolutionary at the time.

Visually stunning, a mountain of personality, a blast to play with friends, and music you shouldn't shake (plus a dope announcer). It was incredible, and still is. Shame EA doesn't have what it takes to remake it.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't even played the game, but whenever I think of the PS2's diverse library, I don't first think of any of my favourites, but for some reason I think of Katamari Damacy. It feels like a perfect summation of how weird and creative some games were during that generation.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It'd probably be Metal Gear Solid 2 or GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas for me.

They all just felt like absolutely mammoth releases that cemented the PS2's dominance in the market. Like, gargantuan moments that GameCube and Xbox wish they had.

They all eventually came to other platforms (but then, SSX3 was on Xbox too - and can still be played on modern Xbox's via BC, SSX fans!) but they were definitely 'PS2 games'.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
Final Fantasy 12 was the swansong of a generation of jrpgs known for their ambition and polish that wasn't yet constrained by HD development. It was grandiose and forward-looking in a way that none of its successors were (until Final Fantasy 14).

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely agree with your SSX 3 post, OP. That game blew me away at the time, and is the definitive game of that generation for me in terms of style, action, tech, music, etc. Just the total package. I still play the Xbox One version regularly.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
To me, Silent Hill 3. The creme de la creme of the horror genre on the PS2, especially in the days of REmake being a Gamecube exclusive and the PS2 getting a shoddy port of RE4. Silent Hill (with 3) became the PS2's horror franchise, and became synonymous with PlayStation itself, even if the entries after were multiplat.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 12 was the swansong of a generation of jrpgs known for their ambition and polish that wasn't yet constrained by HD development. It was grandiose and forward-looking in a way that none of its successors were (until Final Fantasy 14).

This right here.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
This is the game that always comes to mind when I think of the PS2 library. Yes, it's been ported to other consoles now in HD, but damn it was so good at the time. A nearly perfect action game.

51SAXEd3d8L._SY445_.jpg

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Gran_Turismo_4.jpg

When it didn't take Polyphony 5 years to design one car. This game for me, is the best racing game ever done.
Well between this or Gran Turismo 3.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
GTA3 seems like the easy answer for me... but also kind of boring.

For me personally it would be something like Ratchet and Clank, Dark Cloud, or FFX, but realistically I can't think of anything that had the reach and innovation that GTA3 (or other GTA games) did. Maybe Guitar Hero?

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
metal gear solid 2, definately. it's the one i point to when I want to talk about what the PS2 was good at or bad at. lots of polygons and particles, lots of particle interactions, but texture memory meant every texutre was just tinted monochrome.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Chulip.

Great games made on the cheap with near to zero audience made by great people given the time and tools to do what they love.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't just pick one which I know is against the nature of the thread, but the fighting game genre as a whole was on fucking fire while everyone always acts like it was dead lol

51OgmwZptyL._SY445_.jpg
ps2_street_fighter_anniversary-110214.jpg
616aASKN%2BnL.jpg
61YSZQ28CPL._SX385_.jpg
ps2_soul_calibur_2_ii_p_ac6o8t.jpg

It wouldn't be until 2 gens later that fighting games got back to this level of diversity with quality titles again

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
On a single game note. Gitaroo man is one of the best rhythm games ever made. A game set up using a dueling musician premise in a goofy ass lighthearted hero story. Analog and button presses for your actions and the 4 face buttons to dodge enemy attacks.

GitarooMan.jpg

The game speaks for itself well enough.

Mar 30, 2019
PS2_Skyodyssey.jpg

I'll go off the beaten path this time, since I do agree with the games already mentioned. Particularly, Katamari Damacy.

Sky Odyssey is an interesting title for me because of its level-creativity and how the game experience is shared with a friend of mine. This is his PS2 defining game and he kept harping about it to me early in that generation.

I kept pushing it off since I lean towards the action genre and was only familiar with first two in the Pilotwings series. Flight sim wasn't really a draw for me, but he insisted and I relented to his persistence.

I have no ragrets about it. This game was a fun challenging adventure romp that later would have me dipping into Ace Combat 4/5. The score was done by Kow Otani as well, which surprised me and was an additionally reason for me to try it out.

When I think of the PS2, I remember how we traded games and tried all sorts of games from then on. Ring of Red, Silent Hill 2, I managed to convince him to play Ico, and on and on. Fun times.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the game that always comes to mind when I think of the PS2 library. Yes, it's been ported to other consoles now in HD, but damn it was so good at the time. A nearly perfect action game.

51SAXEd3d8L._SY445_.jpg

This is what came to mind for me. After the first Devil May Cry, there was a slew of action games in that vein, and then Capcom came out with DMC3 and created what may still be the best in the genre. It represents a time when stylish action games were all the rage and unfortunately that's just not the case anymore... :(

currytan

Sep 6, 2018
It'd probably be Metal Gear Solid 2 or GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas for me.

They all just felt like absolutely mammoth releases that cemented the PS2's dominance in the market. Like, gargantuan moments that GameCube and Xbox wish they had.

They all eventually came to other platforms (but then, SSX3 was on Xbox too - and can still be played on modern Xbox's via BC, SSX fans!) but they were definitely 'PS2 games'.

Thanks for the SSX3 BC tip, I wasn't aware of it!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to go with something super obvious -- GTA:SA, VC, or III..... But, that is a great example off the trodden path in the OP. The SSX games pretty much came out of nowhere and were huge hits, great games. ALong that line I might throw NBA Street Vol 2 on there, of like just unexpectedly great games that we don't get anymore of these days.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
51C8A2YVZVL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Being able to do a big budget prequel with very unique and risk taking gameplay systems like an injury and treatment system, camouflage & face paint, food resource management, a stamina gauge and CQC while doing it all in a fairly quick timeframe is why PS2 was such a good gen.

The fact they updated it later with the Subsistence release which included a full 3D camera and also a robust online component that became a cult classic shows that developers could try new ideas without risking financial ruin because games didn't need to sell many millions or have MTX to be profitible.

Oh, and the game was perfect in terms of performance and being free or bugs or glitches at launch, like most games were at the time.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
On a single game note. Gitaroo man is one of the best rhythm games ever made. A game set up using a dueling musician premise in a goofy ass lighthearted hero story. Analog and button presses for your actions and the 4 face buttons to dodge enemy attacks.

GitarooMan.jpg

The game speaks for itself well enough.

This was going to be my answer, but mostly because I think it's representative of a lot of the good things about the console's library. Smaller budget game with tons of charm in a great genre that's not quite as active as it was in the PS2's heyday.